• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if this is worth a new thread or not but it kind of blew my mind seeing this in action and I imagine some people might not be aware. Character movement has been sped up by quite a bit, and this is including the addition of a dive move (which was previously only available for the Cat powerup).

Speedrunning this game just got a whole lot more fun.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I dunno if this is worth a new thread or not but it kind of blew my mind seeing this in action and I imagine some people might not be aware. Character movement has been sped up by quite a bit, and this is including the addition of a dive move (which was previously only available for the Cat powerup).

Speedrunning this game just got a whole lot more fun.

Have Nintendo just changed the meta???

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it looked better than I remembered gameplay-wise but I could not put my finger on it.
This explains it.

Hype

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I can't watch the full video yet, did they fix the directional movement as well or is it still stuck to 8 way.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more sold on the online play thing.
that might get me to actually rebuy this.
but the more speed isn't bad.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
This would go a long way in making the game more interesting, everything was so slow and clunky feeling.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The camera angle is also different from the original game.

Now this is a good port.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I would trade the new top running speed for not having to run around in a circle to charge up first

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
mario controlled like ass in that game. Idk if it was only a speed thing or something else but I'm excited to replay it

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
SM3DW was already a top tier game. Adding movement options just makes it even better in my book.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I didn't notice. Amazing news. This game is the highlight of the Direct for me.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

In the trailer, at the ~1:05 minute mark, Mario is seen doing a dive attack maneuver. It resembles Odyssey's dive more than anything, so it's not quite the same as the cat dive.
Oh! How cool! I love 3D World, and these changes all sound great.
PSA: Mario in Super Mario 3D World on Switch runs faster than the Wii U version
Characters in Super Mario 3D World+ move faster than in the Wii U version

It's not just Mario.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think obstacles and enemies also received a speed bump. Great job if true. The original game was a bit too easy.

Oct 31, 2017
I think this is pretty lame, but I know 99% of people are going to disagree. The slower physicality is part of why I enjoy 3D World so much.

It feels like those of us who like slower, more physical games with a stronger sense of player presence embodying a character are an ever shrinking minority. As I mentioned in my post in the other thread, as a lover of Killzone 2, GTA IV, RDR II; changes like this to the game's core game feel in order to target a "broader appeal" are always so frustrating.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone runs like a goddamn ninja now

I look forward to my high-speed clone army demolishing stages with our barrage of fireballs

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe a thread title update:

Instead of

PSA: Super Mario 3D World on Switch runs faster than the Wii U version

it should be

PSA: Mario in Super Mario 3D World on Switch runs faster than the Wii U version
That's better, but still not true because there are other Characters outside of Mario :°)

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
weird.
fixing a run speed?

maybe the weird run mechanic is just bad. Maybe change that.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Characters have new moves too. This is a big deal; hopefully, it'll feel a little more responsive to play.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Good stuff. With these changes, if the new content turns out to be really good, this may end up topping Galaxy 2 as my favorite 3D Mario.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
4drb3m.jpg

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I think part of the problem with the original is that it supported the Wii Remote on its side, meaning it needed accommodate for digital controls in a 3D environment, which is always a recipe for disaster.

With the Switch, that isn't an issue.

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
I guess people found it difficult to get/maintain top speed in this game, which is why so many people say they thought it was sluggish? I never had that problem, but it being addressed by tweaking the speed system is fine by me, as long as the game still controls the same overall. Looks like the top speed is the same, which is good.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
This is my favorite 3D Mario game. I've been eagerly anticipating the Switch port, and I am so excited to learn more about this. February feels so far away. Can't wait to dive back into this game.

Starvald

Mar 24, 2020
Some parts it looks there is 360 direction movements but others still look like 8-direction so its probably still 8 directional.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Cool and with the addition of the dive this game will no longer feel like poop to control. This could finally be a game that i can enjoy because it has always been my least favorite 3D Mario. But thankfully they seem to be putting some serious work into this port and fixing the game.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Nice I guess but the level design is still too open and plain.
Mario 3D Land deserved an HD porting since it's a way better game...

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Last edited: