• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YAY OR NAY

• Yay

Votes: 208 88.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 27 11.5%

• Total voters

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Yes. SOR4 stands shoulder to shoulder with SOR1 and SOR2 as a top tier soundtrack. Which is insane to even say Streets of Rage 1 and 2 have one of the best OST's ever. Deriviere killed it.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Avoiding this at the moment so I can be wowed when I play it. I have no doubt this is good!

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It is killer. There are a few tunes I don't like but the majority if it is absolutely awesome.

The OST on Spotify doesn't seem to have the song that plays in the lead-up to the first fight with Estel and that brief portion always gets my blood bumping, I love it so much. Maybe I'm just missing it as part of a larger song?

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
The soundtrack for SoR4 doesn't really do it for me. The tracks are still fantastic though, but it's just incredibly hard not to compare them to SoR1 and SoR2 (especially when I can play the new game with the old OSTs).

Call The Cops is probably the only new track that legitimately gives me that transcendent feeling that the tracks of the original games had. I love the intro stage track as well, but it just reminded me too much of SoR2's intro stage theme, and I'd rather hear that.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

Just gonna post this here...

I love the way yuzo breaks it down for you. He still has that magic. Them pianos tho!

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Haven't played SOR4 yet so I don't wanna spoil the OST, but I revisited SOR1's tracks and damn those things hold up. That was the one I played the least when younger, but oddly enough besides a few songs on 2 I think 1 has stuck with me more

SoR1 has the best OST in the franchise imo, but SoR2 is definitely an extremely close second. I guess it doesn't help that some of the best tracks in SoR2 are remixes of SoR1 tracks lol.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Sound Producer for Japanese artists here!

Loving the comments and all general feedback here. It wasn't easy managing all of the artists with their varying styles—I had plenty of long chats with Koshiro early on about what direction we should go in at a time when Olivier was still planning his own path. Kawashima, by comparison, was the earliest to settle on a style and stick to it. Somehow, we made it all work and it seems most people are happy with it. :)

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
ICYMI, Olivier Deriviere has an "extended version" of Rising Up on its Bandcamp, with a really nice little thing near the end (for the connoisseurs I suppose :P).

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
On my fourth playthrough, just finally getting some time to really appreciate the soundtrack and I just got to the part where "An exhibition" plays and came to the realisation that the OST Is absolutely at least on par with SoR2's

And game getting better the more time you spend with it is absolutely true: spent my first playthrough being a little annoyed by the little things the game didn't try or lacked, but then on my second playthrough started to appreciate its pureness and balance and its having just the right amount of everything (moves, combos, weapons, stages, variety..) without overdoing any of it and losing focus.
I have to say it's almost perfect

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I was playing the Chinatown level when it hit me how much the music adds to the experience. It really carries the vibes well and compliments all of the action happening onscreen. It's just soooo good.

Having never played SoR before, SoR4 has been a big surprise. It's just... fun.

Shouldn't be surprised Olivier Deriviere is involved. His music continues to impress.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
It's good, but I listened to 2's full OST the next day and it wasn't close. And that was limited to using the genesis hardware, man.
I agree. 4's OST has some real bangers but I don't think you could ever top 2 and that's not a knock on the composers for 4, it's just 2 has such a high bar for me. Still probably my favorite game OST.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's really a soundtrack that gets better and better the more you listen to it. And the way it syncs up with the onscreen action is just fucking sublime.

Said it many times already but it will absolutely go down as one of my very favorite game soundtracks period, up there with what I consider the definite greats.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
It is killer. There are a few tunes I don't like but the majority if it is absolutely awesome.

The OST on Spotify doesn't seem to have the song that plays in the lead-up to the first fight with Estel and that brief portion always gets my blood bumping, I love it so much. Maybe I'm just missing it as part of a larger song?
The pre-Estel music is from a track called Down The Beatch, which isn't part of the full soundtrack.

However Olivier Deriviere has just released a stand-alone EP on his Bandcamp containing an extended version of Rising Up and a 3 min version of Down The Beatch.

If you buy the full soundtrack on Bandcamp now, Down The Beatch is supposedly now included with it, as apparently that's a thing Bandcamp can do but not other stores and streaming services.

Deriviere tweeted out last week that the EP is coming to other stores and streaming services soon.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's my fav soundtrack of the year so far!!!!!! Fucking awesome stuff.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's good but I'm more impressed by the animation. Third Strike vibes.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The main menu theme, or at least the opening notes of it, does a terrible job at setting the mood when compared to either of the first two games' intro themes, the first of which this theme is very obviously cribbing from.
"They're Back" is a poor man's imitation of "Go Straight."
And while the Mr. & Ms. Y themes are really good, I think they still pulled a little more from "Big Boss" than they should have.'

Don't get me wrong. In a vacuum, each of those songs are fine for what they are. But Koshiro's contribution to this soundtrack invites the most unfavorable comparisons to the old games, as so much of it is lifting from those classic songs. If there's any disappointment I have for this soundtrack, it's that he felt that he had to (or was instructed to) write music that could live in no place other than the shadows of his old works.
The more I hear Koshiro's tracks, the more I feel most of them are just kinda okay-ish riffs off his past SoR work. Deriviere and the other guest composers' tracks stand out more to me. I've caught myself humming Nora and Barbon's boss themes at work the last few days.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably been posted but fuck it, this is a B A N G E R

2xoJERj.gif

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bumping this so people see the light.

God damn, Doom was supposed to win the soundtrack contest this year but Streets of Rage just came and stole everything. It was a suprise cause I thought it wouldn't match the originals cause Yuzo isn't the one to make the whole thing but what we got was just perfection. Oliver in particular knocked it out of the park.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I likely won't ever play this as I'm not into Beat'em Ups but wow the OST shared here is truly amazing alright o.o