• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

Shovel Knight is getting a huge update today on most platforms, with new game modes and more stuff, and the price will increase to $39.99.

I finally bought it for $24.99. Glad to finally play it for the first time. :p

vanty

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't realise that fighting game was part of the main game, I thought it was a totally separate side thing. Not badddddddddddd

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Much like Hollow Knight this collection was being sold for far less than what it's worth.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Huh. Where and when was it being sold for $24.99? I pre-ordered mine Nov. 7 from Best Buy to take advantage of GCU before it expired.

Mine's already slated for delivery today, but I'm just curious.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it back in 2014 on my 3DS, but the lack of Showdown for that platform is making me consider double-dipping.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a strange strategy. Who wants to buy Shovel Knight for $40 when most people got in at $15 or $25? They'll be getting a good amount of $25 purchases but their sales are gonna drop quite a bit.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
you could always buy the physical release instead! I'll play the update today on PC, but i bought the physical release on switch! I was already a backer but i want to support them even more
I had no idea the physical release was coming out so soon. Ended up impulse buying it on Switch yesterday as I always wanted it on Switch, but wanted to wait until the game was fully complete.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this is the first time I ever heard of Treasure Trove, and to my surprise I already have it! That's really a huge update to Shovel Knight!
If you bought Shovel Knight before 2017, you received Treasure Trove and all updates free of charge.

Feels good to have Kickstarted Shovel Knight for $15 back in 2013.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I could swear I have a physical copy on switch but I guess not. Maybe that was Wii U. I know I have it on vita.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
This is a strange strategy. Who wants to buy Shovel Knight for $40 when most people got in at $15 or $25? They'll be getting a good amount of $25 purchases but their sales are gonna drop quite a bit.

You can buy the individual games for less. If you buy now you're getting the original Shovel Knight, Plague of Shadows, Spectre of Torment, King of Cards, and Shovel Knight Showdown (which are all full indie games), whereas when it was $15 it was just Shovel Knight (released at that time).

Yacht Club's pricing strategy was to add more content and raise the price as the other campaigns completed instead of deep discounting the game to $5.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, so I bought a digital copy at bestbuy using their ios app early this morning. Since I was still in bed and only had my phone, I decided to use apple pay which is an option in their app. I also noticed that I had a $10 certificate, and the app said that I should be able to add the certificate at the last step of checkout. So I choose apple pay and well, it skipped all the way through to order confirmed and I never even had the chance to use my $10 certificate. Best part is I was also somehow charged more on Apple Pay lol (BB order receipt shows $27.59, apple pay shows $29.28). I think the sales tax was double for some reason

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
I own the game on PS4 (PS+ I think)
I was looking to get it on Switch or PC waiting on sale. Now it comes up in price, lol.

Thankfully, I saw this thread and did some searching.. Amazon still had the Switch DD version for $24.99. Best Buy too apparently.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If I had the original game on Wii U, will this update come for free like all the others, or do I need to pay for this one?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Got it on sale on Switch a while back. Forgot about it actually lol

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I have it on PC but want it for Switch. I missed this thread yesterday damn!

I own the game on PS4 (PS+ I think)
I was looking to get it on Switch or PC waiting on sale. Now it comes up in price, lol.

Thankfully, I saw this thread and did some searching.. Amazon still had the Switch DD version for $24.99. Best Buy too apparently.
Oh cool! I'll grab the code from Amazon!

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
I think I actually quadruple dipped on this game. PS4 digital and physical, 3DS digital, Vita physical.............

great fucking game. but I can't wait to see what's next from this team.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I bought Shovel Knight when it first came out. Don't know if there were any paid DLC, but I didn't buy any.

Do I have the current version or do I need to buy something extra for it to be complete?

Bought it for $13.50 in April 2015.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the treasure trove at launch. Will King of Cards and Showdown automatically be downloaded to my Switch, or will I need to find the games on the eShop separately and download?

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, I should have looked into this sooner. Still not sure whether I want to get the game digitally or physically yet.

Can anyone who has double-dipped with the new physical Switch release answer a question for me? Are the digital and physical versions of Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove considered the same exact game on Switch? Like, is your save data and play history shared between either version, or are they treated as separate titles?

I have a very specific self-imposed rule about buying digital games that have physical copies available, lol; I generally buy every game physically if it's available as such, unless the physical version is treated as a separate title that doesn't share the same save data and play history as the digital version—which seems to be the case if the publisher is different (which is commonly the case with post-release physical copies via companies like Limited Run and such), or the game features a different title (like with Sonic Mania and Sonic Mania Plus). From what I can tell Yacht Club Games is publishing both releases here, and it doesn't have a title change, so I think it should share the same save data and play history, meaning I'd want to get it digitally, but I'd like it if someone could confirm that for me if possible, please!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017
Oh shit, I should have looked into this sooner. Still not sure whether I want to get the game digitally or physically yet.

Can anyone who has double dipped answer a question for me? Are the digital and physical versions of Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove considered the same exact game on Switch? Like, is your save data and play history shared between either version, or are they treated as separate titles?

Save Data is saved to the System/MicroSD, not the cartridge itself, so yes, they are the same game and you will have the same data on both the physical and digital copy.