• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Gamers Nexus goes over some aftermarket cooling products for the PS5 and why they're not worth getting.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Watched this earlier, shame too since I had a one for the PS4 Pro and it honestly helped.

Wonder how long it takes for this thread to be derailed though

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Goddamn, it's been a scam since 360.

everybody Had an intercooler for the OG 360 and that shit was worse for the console too.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
But, these new consoles are already so quiet, what's the point? You'd be better served just aiming a fan at the tiny cubby you've stuffed the console into

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
If it's not an internal fan designed to work with the airflow of the console, it's probably not helping much anyways. Just a waste of money.

The only time I remember these things actually being useful was for the PS2 Slim, because it had no fan whatsoever.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, these things are the dumbest things in the world.

One of them blows air into the exhaust (thus blocking the place that hot air is supposed to be coming out of) and the other blows are into the solid base of the console. The solid base. Where there is no air intake.

Fucking hell.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I used to have one of those for PS4 long ago. It actually overheated the console and made it automatically switched to rest mode, though there's no overheat warning screen that says "The PS4 is too hot".
If I don't use it, then my console never did that. So, that kind of fan is no use at all.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
lol

I'm not sure these fans placed on the outside would even make much of a difference if placed the right way

Edit: omg the back of the box say that it will "heat" the console. I can't. Typo or clever legal loophole?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The makers of base fan probably assumed it was going to be similar to the PS4 systems which, I believe, all 3 versions had their air intake from the sides.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
lol

I'm not sure these fans placed on the outside would even make much of a difference if placed the right way

Edit: omg the back of the box say that it will "heat" the console. I can't. Typo or clever legal loophole?
Ironically, that's on the one that blows air into the base. It fails to either cool or heat the console lol

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
All aftermarket cooling for consoles is silly. It's funny as hell that this one is actually actively harmful.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This stuff has always been very hit or miss. In a majority of cases they're not really needed.

BUT

Back on the wii, my system had fallen and the fan stopped working. Meaning the Wii would shut off after about an hour of play. At first I used a fan to blow into it to keep it cool. Got a nyko wii inter cooler and the wii has been just fine ever since.

A very particular use, but it did technically do what it said it would.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm open to licensing my design out :)

CEE0-AC61-6340-4-A88-A8-AF-D0-FF2-E19-C006.jpg

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, stop SLAPPING your PS5, Steve!

Also the most important takeaway imho is the fact that - even if those fans were pointing in the right direction, the whole package is actually impeding airflow 🤣

edit: Amazon reviews for the back fan.
l91hpvB.png

wow.

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Why would I need that? The problem with the PS5 is not that the fan spins up more often when it gets hotter or with certain games, that's a last gen problem, like we know how it was on PS4.
The problem with PS5 is that it has a relatively loud ground/base noise that's always there. Plus coile whine + disc drive spinning up every 40 minutes.

Oct 25, 2017
The concept of this doing the exact opposite as intended reminds me of when mythbusters accidentally made a fridge by combining four microwave components together.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You can tell they're Noctua fans because they're ugly.

I have a Noctua fan modded fat PS2 and Dreamcast. :)

doors are closed so you can't see them but yes :) as much as I love them, I'm really looking forward to chromax versions of the ones that go on the U12A now that you can't easily buy a PC without a big glass window.