• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the X900H. I've been noticing there not being any audio coming from the TV when changing inputs and no audio when we first turn the TV on. The only way I can get the audio to come is if I do a restart. Anybody find a solution for this?

i have the same problem, it happen really often.

I find Cold War way too blurry to justify playing on 120fps but maybe it's just Cold War as its not native 4k. Still, even then, the picture just does look way off even in the menus.

DMC 5 on 120fps look great, cold war probably lower some settings.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys so is this tv solid? I have a c9 for the lounge room but am looking for a cheap tv for the bedroom. I wanted something smaller but fucking monitors are garbage at 40inch for HDR gaming and tvs at 43 inch are also terrible so looks like it's 55inch or bust (the cx48 is not an option right now here in au-price is insanity)

Are there any major caveats? And for people who have had it or have experience with it I know oled is MUCH Better but this one isn't trash in comparison right?

uses will be 3080, ps5 and series x
It's a great tv.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
i have the same problem, it happen really often.

DMC 5 on 120fps look great, cold war probably lower some settings.
Well good to hear. Does the PS5 UI loose any "sharpness"/clarity when using 4k120hz with DMC? It's what happenes in Cold War as its 1080p/1200p with 120fps and it is noticeable, some for the Cold War UI and general graphics.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Well good to hear. Does the PS5 UI loose any "sharpness"/clarity when using 4k120hz with DMC? It's what happenes in Cold War as its 1080p/1200p with 120fps and it is noticeable, some for the Cold War UI and general graphics.

i'll double check but from the distance i see no difference. i think the blurry thing is really for more then 1080p.

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
Just got the X900H. I've been noticing there not being any audio coming from the TV when changing inputs and no audio when we first turn the TV on. The only way I can get the audio to come is if I do a restart. Anybody find a solution for this?

It is a known issue and will be fixed in an update:

Note: The XH92 (which I have) is a UK variant of the X900H. It mentions the sound may come back after leaving it a minute or so but I've not tried that yet, I just restart the TV. It only happens with my PS5 connected to HDMI4, I have an AVR using eARC on HDMI3 and everything connected directly to that works fine without restarting.

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
It is a known issue and will be fixed in an update:

Note: The XH92 (which I have) is a UK variant of the X900H. It mentions the sound may come back after leaving it a minute or so but I've not tried that yet, I just restart the TV. It only happens with my PS5 connected to HDMI4, I have an AVR using eARC on HDMI3 and everything connected directly to that works fine without restarting.
Thanks for sharing the link. Just had this happen to my brother where there was no sound coming from the TV and was able to fix it doing the restart via remote as suggested.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I'm waiting for next year's model. My old Vizio will have to last a little longer

Captainslow

Dec 3, 2020
I'm extremely nitpicky about audio delay. I'm currently using eArc with my PS5 directly into the TV and the eArc port going out into my AV receiver. I have used plenty of audio delay test videos and watched a ton of content on it and mine is pretty much spot on. So there must be some setting that we are overlooking.

Are you using the TV speakers themselves? Since you mentioned no receiver, I can only imagine it's possible the TV speakers have some post processing happening. I believe under "audio output" settings you can change it so the picture image delays itself for the audio. But that in turn causes input lag.
im really picky with audio sync and I have no problem like that
Try plugging some headphones into the controller to see if the delay is happening there.

Possibly try change inputs?

I'm getting no sort of audio delay on my TV
I actually felt there was some slight sound delay during my previous session, and I have the same setup as you - PS5 connected straight to TV, sound coming from TV speakers. It seems to be gone now, not sure if it was my imagination though or did turning off PS5 and TV help.
Sometimes games just don't have great lip syncing, and sometimes it can even vary slightly on different occasions. I'm not saying that's what's necessarily happened to you, but it can happen.
This seems to be exactly what i am witnessing. Sound effects seem absolut in sync 100% of the time. Just some games where ive noticed lipsyning of voice acting is off a bit. It realy seems to come down to the games implementation.

I finally made an account on resetera just to comment on this....

So I've been going through the exact same issues and here's what I've come up with:

SETUP:

85X900H
- eArc enabled
- HDMI 3 set to enhanced (Dolby Vision)
- Sound profile: External speakers, Auto 2
Denon-AVRS750H
PS5 connected to HDMI 2 (4K60 MAX)
XBox Series X connected HDMI 4 (set to Enhanced 4K120)

So I've been experiencing a great deal of lip sync issues with games, movies, etc. and like a few of you here I'm super sensitive to it. The fix seems to be turning everything to DTS for the things that are connected to the TV and then use the receiver audio delay to adjust for things that are connected to the receiver. Using various tests on YouTube seems to verify that this is the fix.

For whatever ryhme or reason, when I select Dolby Digital for my game consoles it's fine except when a game doesn't support that codec natively. What ends up happening in those cases is that the receiver seems to get a stream of audio it doesn't know about so it just calls it "Multi In". THAT seems to require extra processing or something which causes a delay.

However, when setting it to DTS it never gets out of DTS mode. It's always playing in DTS Neo:X mode on both the PS5 and Xbox. Soo....there's something wrong with my receiver and the whole "Multi In".

Settings:

TV Audio:
AV Sync: Off
eArc: Auto
Audio Mode: Auto 2

XBox:
HDMI Audio: 5.1 (or whatever you need)
Bitstream format: DTS Master Audio (I think you need to purchase the DTS app for this...$25CDN)

PS5:
Audio Format: DTS

That seems to have resolved a lot of my audio issues.

When I use AppleTV Dolby Atmos works fine but anything that's just 5.1 goes to multi-channel and then there's delay. I don't know how to force my receiver to force a codec from AppleTV outside of disabling Atmos and enabling Dolby Digital 5.1

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

So I've been going through the exact same issues and here's what I've come up with:

SETUP:

85X900H
- eArc enabled
Denon-AVRS750H

So I've been experiencing a great deal of lip sync issues with games, movies, etc. and like a few of you here I'm super sensitive to it. The fix seems to be turning everything to DTS for the things that are connected to the TV and then use the receiver audio delay to adjust for things that are connected to the receiver. Using various tests on YouTube seems to verify that this is the fix.

For whatever ryhme or reason, when I select Dolby Digital for my game consoles it's fine except when a game doesn't support that codec natively. What ends up happening in those cases is that the receiver seems to get a stream of audio it doesn't know about so it just calls it "Multi In". THAT seems to require extra processing or something which causes a delay.

However, when setting it to DTS it never gets out of DTS mode. It's always playing in DTS Neo:X mode on both the PS5 and Xbox. Soo....there's something wrong with my receiver and the whole "Multi In".

Settings:

TV Audio:

XBox:
Bitstream format: DTS Master Audio (I think you need to purchase the DTS app for this...$25CDN)

PS5:

When I use AppleTV Dolby Atmos works fine but anything that's just 5.1 goes to multi-channel and then there's delay. I don't know how to force my receiver to force a codec from AppleTV outside of disabling Atmos and enabling Dolby Digital 5.1

thanks for posting this. I'm having almost the exact same issues that you described particularly with audio sync.

i've been able to mostly fix it by leaving 120 Hz mode. but that still doesn't fix it entirely for bitstream formats.

There is a problem with the HDMI EArc. Namely, LPCM is fine, DTS is good (but not perfect quality compared to when I run my devices directly through my receiver), and dolby formats, particularly on xbox, have a slight sync audio delay.

Per your advice, I've set my receiver to the max available for audio sync tinkering and it still isn't enough. I am sad.

Optical is an even worse mess, I won't even go there.

I thought all the talk about the 4K 120 Hz blurriness was just people being picky. They are not. There is blur. Even after the latest "fix".

I've mostly had enough of all this tinkering and simply went back to my format of last generation.

Went back and plugged all of my consoles into my receiver, and just have one output from the receiver into the TV input. 4K 60 with HDR10 and with Dolby Vision and Atmos sound is fine with me. It looks and sounds outstanding.

But so did my last TV so I spent $1K+ for....nothing I guess.

I'm disappointed but it is what it is. I'm hoping future software updates will fix the minor EArc issues remaining.

Captainslow

Dec 3, 2020
thanks for posting this. I'm having almost the exact same issues that you described particularly with audio sync.

i've been able to mostly fix it by leaving 120 Hz mode. but that still doesn't fix it entirely for bitstream formats.

There is a problem with the HDMI EArc. Namely, LPCM is fine, DTS is good (but not perfect quality compared to when I run my devices directly through my receiver), and dolby formats, particularly on xbox, have a slight sync audio delay.

Per your advice, I've set my receiver to the max available for audio sync tinkering and it still isn't enough. I am sad.

Optical is an even worse mess, I won't even go there.

I thought all the talk about the 4K 120 Hz blurriness was just people being picky. They are not. There is blur. Even after the latest "fix".

I've mostly had enough of all this tinkering and simply went back to my format of last generation.

Went back and plugged all of my consoles into my receiver, and just have one output from the receiver into the TV input. 4K 60 with HDR10 and with Dolby Vision and Atmos sound is fine with me. It looks and sounds outstanding.

But so did my last TV so I spent $1K+ for....nothing I guess.

I'm disappointed but it is what it is. I'm hoping future software updates will fix the minor EArc issues remaining.

Yep. I mean we don't have much of a choice really. When I actually tried going "old school" (everything into the receiver) I noticed that the receiver was doing *something* with the picture quality - things weren't as vibrant or colourful as they were when connected directly to the TV.

For example, in Gears of War 5, the first level, when dropping down into the water the colour of the trees and water we're very vibrant when connected directly through the TV but less vibrant when through the receiver. I confirmed that I was using the game picture mode with the same settings and the receiver supports 4K60 + HDR but I wasn't super happy.

I may try again just to confirm I didn't do something silly because the receiver should just pass through the signal.

If you want some more details I found this thread on reddit helpful:

PS5 audio (PCM) and the X900H + soundbar lag : bravia (reddit.com)

Last edited:

<Shwing>

Dec 7, 2017
Sad that this TV has these problems, I've just cancelled my order for the 65" version which was due to arrive Wednesday this coming week.
Someone at Sony really needs reprimanded about this.

Oct 27, 2017

SETUP:

85X900H
- eArc enabled
Denon-AVRS750H

Settings:

TV Audio:

XBox:

PS5:

Have a link to YouTube delay test that you used?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I mean we don't have much of a choice really. When I actually tried going "old school" (everything into the receiver) I noticed that the receiver was doing *something* with the picture quality - things weren't as vibrant or colourful as they were when connected directly to the TV.

For example, in Gears of War 5, the first level, when dropping down into the water the colour of the trees and water we're very vibrant when connected directly through the TV but less vibrant when through the receiver. I confirmed that I was using the game picture mode with the same settings and the receiver supports 4K60 + HDR but I wasn't super happy.

I may try again just to confirm I didn't do something silly because the receiver should just pass through the signal.

If you want some more details I found this thread on reddit helpful:

PS5 audio (PCM) and the X900H + soundbar lag : bravia (reddit.com)

hey thanks for the tip about the reddit thread

Going through your receiver, check to see if your receiver has a setting for pass-through versus upscaling. Sometimes you can turn off the upscaling and that will clean up the picture.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I was having audio issues with XSX but realized that it works consistently as long as I power on the TV prior to turning on the source. I would guess its some sort of HDMI handshaking issue. I also noticed that changing thr HDMI format makes the audio work again as well.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Recently I keep having no sound coming out of the tv and I have to do a reboot. Usually happens when im done playing on the ps5.
Weird thing is I turned off every hdmi link settings.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Audio cuts out, also, sometimes if I go from a game to the dashboard and then back, the game displays doesn't display in HDR anymore, have to quit and restart.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Recently I keep having no sound coming out of the tv and I have to do a reboot. Usually happens when im done playing on the ps5.
Weird thing is I turned off every hdmi link settings.

Happens to me on xbox, oddly not on PS5. Only solutions are to either restart the TV, or, have the Xbox on energy saving mode instead of instant on.

Audio cuts out, also, sometimes if I go from a game to the dashboard and then back, the game displays doesn't display in HDR anymore, have to quit and restart.

Try LPCM instead of bitstream for audio, and see if the problem still persists.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. And your able to do 4k 120?

unfortunately I wasn't able to try that because my HDMI cable at 25 feet is an "active" cable and I don't think they make one that's capable of HDMI 2.1 yet (that's less than 50 bucks)

other than that, it does ten bit color, HDR, the works, perfectly fine. Playing doom eternal at 4K 60 with HDR and Dolby Atmos. All good. (Unlike my xbox which has audio delay with atmos...)

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
All these handshake issues (which I assume they are, I have no idea) with audio dropping out, are super annoying. I'm constantly restarting the TV to fix things while playing the nexgen consoles.

I had an issue the other day with my PS5. Everything was super dark in HDR. I'm like oh shit, screen panel is dying! Lol.

I reboot the tv, brightness comes back.

I already bitched earlier about my issues with the nexgen console Blu-ray players getting weird with the tv.

So many damn little issues. I hope this kind of stuff can be addressed. I really do love the screen and the game mode performance.

At least my tv doesn't turn on randomly anymore, hah.

I haven't got the new update yet. Even after the last update, Disney+ was causing WiFi to disconnect. I don't know if it was the tv or the app. I just said fuck it and ran a Ethernet cable to the tv.

Captainslow

Dec 3, 2020
Have a link to YouTube delay test that you used?

Yeah for sure. I actually used several:

(6) Audio Video Sync Test - YouTube
- I found this one the most useful.
- It seems to be the easiest one to track for me when the ball hits the platform
- With this one I could tell that when everything was set to "Dolby" or "Multi-In" that things were late
- Changing everything to DTS made the sound of the ball hitting the platform timed correctly...and it just felt (I don't know how else to describe it) better

(6) Audio Video Sync Test 60 FPS - YouTube
- This one has a good blip sound and a good timeline but it's a little too fast

(6) Home Theater Audio / Video Sync Test - Lip Flap - YouTube
- Another good one but again, sometimes hard to track with your eyes and ears

There are several more on YouTube if you search "audio delay test" but the three above are the ones I found the most useful.

Captainslow

Dec 3, 2020
Ive never had such a great tv with so many little shitty issues. Hopefully within the next few months things are ironed out

This is an amazing TV for sure. I think they may have rushed a few things. I mean typically when you buy a TV you have all the features available right away versus having to wait for firmware updates for 4K120 and eArc support.

Captainslow

Dec 3, 2020
hey thanks for the tip about the reddit thread

Going through your receiver, check to see if your receiver has a setting for pass-through versus upscaling. Sometimes you can turn off the upscaling and that will clean up the picture.

Yeah I looked through the manual and there's nothing in there that seems to indicate options for pass-through outside of the standby mode receiver pass-through.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Oh good. The newest issue is the TV automatically changing inputs to HDMI 3 when I press the PS button on the PS5 controller. Fun! Except that the PS5 is on HDMI 4.

Oct 27, 2017

- It seems to be the easiest one to track for me when the ball hits the platform
- With this one I could tell that when everything was set to "Dolby" or "Multi-In" that things were late
- Changing everything to DTS made the sound of the ball hitting the platform timed correctly...and it just felt (I don't know how else to describe it) better

There are several more on YouTube if you search "audio delay test" but the three above are the ones I found the most useful.
appreciate it!

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Sony just edited their text on their site to imply that this isn't the last update regarding the 4k 120hz issue.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Where does it say that? Really hope they will fix the issue
On sony's site under the update it use to say fixed and now it no longer says that

Good! MANY people are within the extended holiday returns period major retailers have set for the end of January so I can only imagine the wave of returns that would happen if they didn't fix this properly.

having paid 30% more over a comparable hisense model that did not have 120 Hz but a similar picture quality, the Sony name alone isn't worth that premium. I really hope these issues get fixed.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Good! MANY people are within the extended holiday returns period major retailers have set for the end of January so I can only imagine the wave of returns that would happen if they didn't fix this properly.

having paid 30% more over a comparable hisense model that did not have 120 Hz but a similar picture quality, the Sony name alone isn't worth that premium. I really hope these issues get fixed.
They aren't comparable. Don't let the high peak brightness fool you. This is a much better tv

Oct 27, 2017

Ive tried every delay setting on the tv and it's still mismatched

Oct 27, 2017
TB: Samsung Q90T
Configuration Options in TV: shown in pics below

fBteQ1U.jpg

L9j4R00.jpg

KdivB1Q.jpg

JackEtc

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I haven't bothered to look too close to the picture like the people on AVSforum have, but Siege at 120fps on the PS5 on this TV is sick with the latest update.

unfortunately I wasn't able to try that because my HDMI cable at 25 feet is an "active" cable and I don't think they make one that's capable of HDMI 2.1 yet (that's less than 50 bucks)

other than that, it does ten bit color, HDR, the works, perfectly fine. Playing doom eternal at 4K 60 with HDR and Dolby Atmos. All good. (Unlike my xbox which has audio delay with atmos...)
I also have an active cable with a 3080. I'm having trouble with enabling HDR through windows, I flip the switch, everything goes black, and it comes back and the flip is switched back off. Did you experience something similar? I'm wondering if it's because my monitor (which is also hooked up via DP when I plug into the TV) isn't HDR compatible?

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Yesterday I tested on my Series S with Ori and it was very obvious:
- 1080/120 mode was quite blurry
- 4k/60 mode, with 120 Hz still enabled on Xbox and TV (i.e input set to enhanced, not enhanced Dolby Vision). Clearly less blurry but still blurry.
- 4k/60 mode, with Xbox set to 60 Hz and TV input set to enhanced Dolby Vision. Sharp picture.

If the 1080 mode was "0" and the true 4k/60 mode was "100" I'd say the 4k/60 mode with 120 Hz refresh was about a 70.

So yeah if you want a sharp picture you have to disable 120 Hz entirely.

(And yes, embarrassed about my earlier posts saying there was no difference, I didn't know about the enhanced/enhanced Dolby Vision setting!)

Update after the (second) update. I can't tell the difference any more in terms of sharpness in game (Ori, Halo), so I'm super happy they've got it fixed at least to a level where I'll never notice. TV has been great otherwise.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bothered to look too close to the picture like the people on AVSforum have, but Siege at 120fps on the PS5 on this TV is sick with the latest update.

I also have an active cable with a 3080. I'm having trouble with enabling HDR through windows, I flip the switch, everything goes black, and it comes back and the flip is switched back off. Did you experience something similar? I'm wondering if it's because my monitor (which is also hooked up via DP when I plug into the TV) isn't HDR compatible?

biggest obstacle to getting HDR working is to make sure that Nvidia control panel doesn't have your TV refresh rate set to anything higher than 60hz. And make sure the TV is the only display you are using at once. HDMI 2.0 cables, even active ones like ours, can't display HDR at anything higher than 60hz. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the actual real refresh rate ends up being 30 hz when HDR is running at 4K for HDMI 2.0 connections)

I recommend using a program called displayfusion, it's available on steam, you can set a permanent custom resolution for each monitor, like for your TV 2160p at 60hz, and you can flip between monitor profiles such as TV only, then dual screen if you want.

I notice a lot of my issues went away when I started using displayfusion. Because display fusion effectively forces a profile.