• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Wait what ? Why is that ? And what is worse on European panels ? I was leaning towards q80t because of better viewing angles and better reflections handling.

From what I've gathered it's a totally different TV in Europe. Worse viewing angles and reflections due to missing anti-reflective coating and it has less FALD zones. Get a Q90T (or Q95T, the only difference being the One-Connect box or whatever it's called).

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Wait what ? Why is that ? And what is worse on European panels ? I was leaning towards q80t because of better viewing angles and better reflections handling.
I wanted also to buy this TV for the exact same rason, but the Q80T in Europe is like the Q70 replacement. Samsung is really shitty with this sadly.

Having the Sony now - viewing ales are okay, you don't really notice the color degradation unless you are sitting in weird angles. Anti glare is also fine.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
You would think that being a panel manufacturer, Samsung would only use the best for their displays, but Samsung TVs are often the worst out there for "panel lottery" and are not even consistent across the same model worldwide.
LG are similar - except maybe for their OLEDs. Apple displays using LG panels are the best by far, as Apple have strict quality control. Meanwhile LG's own displays are often much lower quality because they want to sell every panel they produce.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Where is it 300 off?
Considering finally upgrading today but I can't for the life of me decide between the q80t, x900h, and lg cx. If the lg was cheaper it would be a no brainer but otherwise I don't know. Seems like everyone has one problem or another with the Samsung and Sony. How did you guys make your decision? Dang it lol
Holy shit, I'm in this exact same predicament, only I'm also looking at the Vizio P-Series Quantum X. I'm upgrading from a C8 and while the most logical evolution would be the CX, I am definitely tempted by the displays you've mentioned for their brighter HDR and lower cost. I'm definitely least tempted by the Q80T as that only has a single HDMI 2.1 port meaning I would need to juggle it between my Series X and PS5 but still, it's an option.

I'm stuck.

1er tigre

Oct 28, 2017
From what I've gathered it's a totally different TV in Europe. Worse viewing angles and reflections due to missing anti-reflective coating and it has less FALD zones. Get a Q90T (or Q95T, the only difference being the One-Connect box or whatever it's called).
The issue is the Q95t costs 600 to 900€ more than the q80t.
Fuck.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
The issue is the Q95t costs 600 to 900€ more than the q80t.
Fuck.

Yup, it's a hell of a lot more expensive. But like derFeef here said, Samsung went ahead and just bumped up the 7-series by a number this year in Europe. Basically we have no real 8-series QLED here this year. Although there seem to be a Q85T that's the equivalent of the US Q80T, but I haven't really seen it anywhere...guess it's like UK only?

I wanted also to buy this TV for the exact same rason, but the Q80T in Europe is like the Q70 replacement.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Holy shit, I'm in this exact same predicament, only I'm also looking at the Vizio P-Series Quantum X. I'm upgrading from a C8 and while the most logical evolution would be the CX, I am definitely tempted by the displays you've mentioned for their brighter HDR and lower cost. I'm definitely least tempted by the Q80T as that only has a single HDMI 2.1 port meaning I would need to juggle it between my Series X and PS5 but still, it's an option.

I'm stuck.

Don't choose Samsung unless you don't care about HDR in Game Mode.

Skip to 10:40

youtu.be

Best TV for PS5 Gaming 2020: LG CX vs Samsung Q90T vs Sony X900H

We choose the best TV for PS5 (Playstation 5) next-gen console gaming in 2020, by comparing the LG CX, the Samsung Q90T & Sony XH90 (also marketed as the BRA...
Skip to 3:47

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if its possible to pass VRR through a receiver that doesn't directly support it? I know 120hz doesn't work, but if you were only going to go up to 60hz would it handle that?

Im guessing the answer is nope, and you'd need to go directly to the TV and use eArc.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, I only learned about this after buying this model and felt like I got scammed lol
It's still an enormous upgrade over my last LCD TV that really, really old, but I wish I had waited a bit to see the XH90 in person and then decide

The XH90 arrived here at the end of the month when I bought my tv and it was supposed to be more expensive than the Q80T for some reason and it actually started that way, but it quickly dropped in price and is now cheaper

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Does anyone know if its possible to pass VRR through a receiver that doesn't directly support it? I know 120hz doesn't work, but if you were only going to go up to 60hz would it handle that?

Im guessing the answer is nope, and you'd need to go directly to the TV and use eArc.
If it's HDMI 2.1 VRR then the AVR needs a functional 2.1 port, and none currently do.

Not sure about Freesync.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
i wanted to throw it out there but the Sceptre E248B-FPT168 monitor is not 120hz compatable despite stating its 144hz

i did confirm it works on my PC at 120 frames but the PS5 wont detect it

JohnDusk

Oct 24, 2018
Be aware the 4K 120hz firmware update has been pulled for now.

I think that the update is still available in Sony's website. They removed it from OTA so to speak, so if you check for updates, the TV will tell you that you have the latest firmware. You can download it and install it from an USB drive though.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I think that the update is still available in Sony's website. They removed it from OTA so to speak, so if you check for updates, the TV will tell you that you have the latest firmware. You can download it and install it from an USB drive though.
Yes, it doesn't auto update but you can download and install manually. I wouldn't advise it though lol

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
So Dolby Vision isn't available right now because the update was removed?

The TV always supported Dolby Vision. It had to be given its own HDMI format because the X900H's EDID can't currently fit the data for both 4K/120 ans DV.

Select Enhanced Format and you're good to go.

Last edited:

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
On another note, has anyone had HDMI issues when switching inputs?

I'm trying to determine whether it's my soundbar (Yamaha YAS-107) or the TV. It's NOT the cables. I had an issue with my previous TV, but before I jump on the Black Friday bandwagon, I just want to make sure it's just me.

Yes, it's on TV ARC input. It's not 100% of the time, either. Maybe like 20%. And once it works, it'll work, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, etc.

But when it fails, hooboy. I'll cycle the inputs, and get silence.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
On another note, has anyone had HDMI issues when switching inputs?

I'm trying to determine whether it's my soundbar (Yamaha YAS-107) or the TV. It's NOT the cables. I had an issue with my previous TV, but before I jump on the Black Friday bandwagon, I just want to make sure it's just me.

Yes, it's on TV ARC input. It's not 100% of the time, either. Maybe like 20%. And once it works, it'll work, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, etc.

But when it fails, hooboy. I'll cycle the inputs, and get silence.

I don't know if this is related, but I having issues with audio going away going when switching between HDMI inputs. This is only started happening when I hooked up my PS5/Series X.

Previously I had a XB1, PS4 and a fire cube connected and didn't have any issues since I got the TV during the summer.

Now I have a PS5/XSX (on 3 and 4 inputs)/firecube connected. Sometimes when I just turn on 1 system, there will be no audio. Or if I have 1 system on, then turn on another and switch over, no audio. Then when I go back to the original console, the audio is gone. I am also having an issue where on the XSX when it is on 4k/120 specifically, there is no audio.

Doing a restart from the TV menu fixes this when it happens, but it's happening alot since I got my new consoles.

I though it was maybe the HDMI control functionality (like when you switch to the HDMI input, it turns the console on). I turned these off on both consoles and turned off the bravia sync stuff in the TV menu. Even with that, it's still happening. I even plugged my PS4 back in, and the audio issue is happening there as well.

Not sure what is going on. It's so damn weird and it seems like something with the new consoles and handshakes or HDMI port optimization started it.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I was having issues BEFORE the PS5, to the point where I gave up on the pass-through on my soundbar. So NOTHING else is on port 3 except the soundbar.

But going from the PS5 on input 4 to my hub on port 1 seems to get silence sometimes.

Oct 28, 2017
So I've set the TV up and I'm liking it so far except for some MAJOR colour banding. I don't know if it's the sources I'm using (YouTube) but yeah the banding and jailbars are really noticeable when watching some 4k YouTube demos. Is this normal on this set or what?

Oct 28, 2017
So I've set the TV up and I'm liking it so far except for some MAJOR colour banding. I don't know if it's the sources I'm using (YouTube) but yeah the banding and jailbars are really noticeable when watching some 4k YouTube demos. Is this normal on this set or what?

After further testing I'm happy to report that it was indeed YouTube causing the banding! Had me worried for a second because I never noticed it on my previous TV. Pretty impressed with the TV overall so far, looking forward to gaming on it.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Are there any arguments for keeping this TV in favor of a C9 OLed (besides the risk of burn-in)?

I'm about to have both devices at my place in the next few days & while I'm really impressed by my OLed ... you know ... I like new stuff ... and ... I don't know ...

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
While any bugs or dips in performance should 100% be addressed, after 4-5 days of playing 4K/120, my experience across both consoles has been...kinda awesome?

I think it's pretty telling that this issue has really only been highlighted when hyper-zooming static images side-by-side. There's no appreciable "blurring", that I've been able to detect, during real world gameplay sessions.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the issues are real and I hope they fix them in the upcoming patch, but I must say Halo still looks great at 120fps. Same with the other things I've tried. It is not very noticeable to my eyes, certainly not sitting from a distance away from the tv.

excessive

Apr 2, 2018
A new update has been released for x900h today.

20201118-073704.jpg

*Minor update*, but hopefully fixes my daily reboot issue.

edit - seems like only NA has this update available so far.

Last edited:

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of annoying that various sizes of this TV are on sale/will be on sale, except the 55.

Crawl

Oct 25, 2017
General question; when do all the TV manufactures unveil the 2021 models usually? Is it CES?

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
General question; when do all the TV manufactures unveil the 2021 models usually? Is it CES?
Yes, but that ain't gonna happen this year.

And even then, stuff like this TV didn't go on sale until like JUNE. And sometimes specs change, aren't announced, or have mixed signals from everyone rushing to show stuff off.

They usually spend more time promoting the higher end stuff on the show floor, and mid-range TVs get ignored COMPLETELY.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
No, the 4K120 firmware was released a month or two ago; this is a re-release to fix some bugs that cropped up in the original release. We're still waiting for VRR support, as well as a fix for the blur in 120hz resolutions.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Any idea why the colors are way more vibrant when I disable HDR in the PS5 settings? Enabling it just makes everything look dimly lit so that colors don't really pop anymore. I've adjusted the sliders in the PS5's HDR setup several times in different combinations but it doesn't seem to make that big of a difference...

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
I had weird issue with my X900H earlier, when I turned it on the screen was black. I could still hear system sounds and upon closer review I could see dim images on the screen -- the backlight was off. A full unplug/replug was needed to fix the problem, hopefully it's a one-time thing.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Any idea why the colors are way more vibrant when I disable HDR in the PS5 settings? Enabling it just makes everything look dimly lit so that colors don't really pop anymore. I've adjusted the sliders in the PS5's HDR setup several times in different combinations but it doesn't seem to make that big of a difference...
Well, if I had to guess, it's because you're used to the artificially colored VIVID mode on TVs, not the accurate color.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Well, if I had to guess, it's because you're used to the artificially colored VIVID mode on TVs, not the accurate color.
I doubt it. I used several recommended settings now, but as soon as I turn HDR on in the PS5 settings the colors look way worse/desaturated. Almost looks to me as if HDR is on when I deactivate it, although I can obviously see it's not active in the TV settings screen. Same issue with the Series X by the way. Seriously frustrated, wasted several hours with this bullshit now and still looks like shit...

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I doubt it. I used several recommended settings now, but as soon as I turn HDR on in the PS5 settings the colors look way worse/desaturated. Almost looks to me as if HDR is on when I deactivate it, although I can obviously see it's not active in the TV settings screen. Same issue with the Series X by the way. Seriously frustrated, wasted several hours with this bullshit now and still looks like shit...
I guess you have gone through all the picture settings and stuff like that? What does the XSX 4K TV Info screen say? If set up correctly it should have all the checkmarks minus either 120hz or Dolby Vision depending on the mode the TV is set in.

Digital Trends video/Sony statement that a firmware fix coming by December 31 2020
OP
OP

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017

Digital Trends just released a video on PS5 settings for this TV.

More importantly, Sony has told Caleb directly that a firmware resolving the 4k120hz blur issue is coming by December 31 2020. Refer to the 8 minute 30 second mark.

No updates on VRR so far.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

More importantly, Sony has told Caleb directly that a firmware resolving the 4k120hz blur issue is coming by December 31 2020. Refer to the 8 minute 30 second mark.

This will be a problem after the 'blur' has been fixed, and is a big reason why it's been so hard to get accurate comparisons...

He's comparing the ~1440p/120 mode with toned down settings to 4K/60 running with ray tracing and all the bells & whistles. No fucking shit you notice a drop in resolution and worse lighting.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017

TL;DW: set everything to auto both in console and PS5 settings, remember to turn on game mode and HDMI enhanced format