• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Can you say more about that? Is it sounding like a hardware problem? Bandwidth issue?

That image is horrendous.
3D image ghosting, but without the 3D glasses since the two alternately displayed images should line up correctly since it's showing a 2D image but using the 3D mode to effectively double the displayed framerate. Again, I don't know that this is happening, but it does look like the issues I've seen forcing 120hz through EDID manipulation on my Bravia....and why despite "overclocking" my Bravia, I went back to 60hz...

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia

Vincent's latest video on an LG C9/CX issue with VRR also has some speculation on this TV's 4k120hz issue. Timestamp is 5:15 in case the embedded video doesn't work.

He seems to think it might be a video processing issue.

I'd be interested to know how bad the CX gamma thing is. I don't really have a concept of it. It sounds as bad if not worse than the softening of the 900h, in which case none of these 2.1 TVs are worth buying yet.

I'd also love to know how bad the 900h's softening effect is. We know it can't do Dolby Vision at 4K 120fps, but you're still getting HDR10, so I can live with that. I wonder how noticable the softened image is in real world use.

Due to cost, f I buy a CX, I'm stuck with another 65" TV, whereas with the Sony, I'd be able to upgrade to 75". That would be really nice. But if 4K 120fps looks genuinely bad, I'd rather wait for next year's models.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Not to sugarcoat this, but its a 18 pixel segment with black and white pixels. No doubt its terrible for desktop and text but i doubt it will affect games much.
It looks like it's essentially running 120Hz at 1080p.
You're okay with next-gen games being displayed at 1080p on your new 4K TV? Remember that consoles will be outputting 120Hz whether games are running at 120 FPS or not.
Either that or you forego 120Hz VRR support altogether and set them to 4K60 - in which case you could have bought any HDMI 2.0 TV instead of this with its "HDMI 2.1" support.
Of course that all depends on whether this is still an issue with the PS5/XSX, and not PC-specific. It really seems like everyone is beta testing HDMI 2.1 this year, rather than a final product.

I'd be interested to know how bad the CX gamma thing is. I don't really have a concept of it. It sounds as bad if not worse than the softening of the 900h, in which case none of these 2.1 TVs are worth buying yet.
It is a minor picture inaccuracy if you are used to a perfectly calibrated image. Far less of a problem.
The bigger issue is that VRR seems to not be completely smooth between 90–120Hz, but LG claim they will be fixing that with an update - and LG are usually pretty good about that.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
It is a minor picture inaccuracy if you are used to a perfectly calibrated image. Far less of a problem.
The bigger issue is that VRR seems to not be completely smooth between 90–120Hz, but LG claim they will be fixing that with an update - and LG are usually pretty good about that.

On the one hand, it's great that one TV gets everything right, for all intents and purposes. On the other, if they were all messed up, I'd have a much easier time holding off until next year. Ugh, OLED, y u stl so spens?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Vincent's latest video on an LG C9/CX issue with VRR also has some speculation on this TV's 4k120hz issue. Timestamp is 5:15 in case the embedded video doesn't work.

He seems to think it might be a video processing issue.

Other developments since the OP:

1. There is some speculation that the update has been pulled, in that users who were prompted to update but did not proceed are no longer getting that prompt. There is also a note on certain Sony support sites stating "Temporary suspension of firmware update v6.0384 for XH90 and XH92 series - 4 September 2020" which is a bit confusing since the firmware was released in October 2020, and the contents of the link below relate to an August update. I would advise users not to get their hopes up since the firmware could have been pulled to resolve other issues that Sony has acknowledged like the random reboots.

2. Sony released a video about this TV on Youtube, and many users flooded the comments with complaints about the 4k120hz issue. Unfortunately they responded with the following comment (credit to the AVS user who shared this screenshot):

Was tempted by the CX, but it looks like I'm going to relegate high refresh gaming to my laptop for now.

My POS 1080p/60 TV is going to have to hold out until 2021 models.

Jun 10, 2018
I wonder if Display Stream Compression could fix the issue on the x900H. The Xbox Series X slides at Hot Chips showed that it supports DSC. But as of right now it doesn't seem to be active based on the tests people have done with current HDMI 2.1 AVR's (they require a device with DSC). I wonder if there will be an option in the Xbox Series X's system settings to enable DSC? This would greatly reduce the amount of bandwidth required, thus the x900H may not need to do whatever it's doing at 4K 120hz.

Xbox-Series-X.jpg

Mooreagreen

Apr 3, 2020
Man, I'm thinking of getting this TV despite the issue. I've kind of convinced myself. I basically want a big new TV for Lord of The Rings UHD in December, and the price on this one just dropped more in Canada. This one is supposed to be great for non-120hz stuff. I don't see myself even using the 120hz feature for years (I have a mid range PC where I do all my gaming, not getting ps5/xbox, won't be upgrading GPU for 2-3 years). But the fact that it has the potential to do some of that stuff is at least promising.
I picked up the 55" and could not be happier. Best set I have ever owned and that is everything from the killer Pioneer plasmas to many newer LED backlit sets. I will reserve judgment on the 120hz issue when I hook up my PS5 next week. Being as Sony marketed this as being perfect for PS5 I would bet that they make things right.

Nov 8, 2017
To clarify, "Doesn't support DV on blu ray" still means I get HDR10 fallback on those blu rays right? Or does it mean no HDR at all?

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh this is such a bummer. Was reaaally hoping for 120fps. Ive never had a 4K TV (never even a smart TV for that matter!) so the HDR and Resolution are already massive improvements over what I used to have at least. So I still really love the TV though. Guess I'll just have to wait a couple years to replace it. Hopefully 2.1 is sorted out by then.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Do these TVs have trouble upscaling 1080/1440p120hz? Because that will be the resolution of like 90% of 120fps games on next-gen consoles.

edit: I forgot about VRR, any of these TVs support DP input lol? Wait that wouldn't work either for consoles...

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I got the 65" despite the issues. Got a PS5 on preorder from samsclub. I hope they update it to fix the bugs.

EvilBoris' and Vincent Teoh's Twitter Posts
OP
OP

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017
EvilBoris has shared the earlier pictures demonstrating the 4k120hz blur on their Twitter account. Glad this is getting more attention.

Unfortunately Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest does not think this is something that can be resolved via firmware.

Last edited:

Dinoric

Oct 28, 2017
I got the 85 inches model delivered last Thursday and I am still in awe. It is fucking amazing. I hope that the 4k 120 Hz issue gets solved but even if it doesn't I am really, really pleased with it (it would only be shitty from Sony to overstate what the tv can do if that was the case). I was torn between this and the 65 CX and I'm so glad I went with the Sony. The immersion that this size provides has to be seen to be believed. I heard that the picture quality was great in reviews and user comments but it surpassed my expectations. I had quite a few holy shit moments these last few days. With proper content it looks amazing, even at 1080p and lower.
Hi, Would you be able to let me know how far away you sit from your 85 inch Tv?

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
EvilBoris has shared the earlier pictures demonstrating the 4k120hz blur on their Twitter account. Glad this is getting more attention.

Unfortunately Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest does not think this is something that can be resolved via firmware.

Yikes. Glad I held off buying this tv. I'm sure it has a beautiful display at 60hz, but that kinda makes paying the extra money for it unnecessary if 120hz mode looks like ass

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly almost considering a return but I'm not sure I can go through the trouble of boxing it back up and stuff like that. :/

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
I was dead set on the 900H and it finally dropped in price to a reasonable level where I live. The 4k@120 news mean I'll probably wait a year till next gen. Hopefully these things will be sorted out by then, Sony is pretty much my only choice.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Lol jokes on Sony my X900H doesn't work at all. No fear of next gen looking poorly on it right now. Can't get it to stay on longer than 20 seconds.

StewboaT

Mar 6, 2018
God damn, I was about to buy this set as well. Guess I'm waiting a year for that 4k/120hz/vrr special sauce. Lame.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Ugh. I bought this TV as it seemed like the best line between price and performance, but I also expected a TV that would have all the features that I wanted for the coming years. If it isn't that, I don't know if I want to hang onto it.

Going to wait a few days to see whether a software based solution looks feasible. I really don't want to go through the hassle of returning it.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's a huge bummer, I just bought this TV, and like everything about it.

This sucks, but the iq and input lag improvement over my old tv is worth it at the end, and this issue probably won't me as noticible in lower resolutions that 120fps will run at.

Dinoric

Oct 28, 2017
About 2.5 meters. I feared it might be too close but it took only half a day to get used to it for both movies and games. Now I cannot imagine using a tv any other way, hehe. 😂
Thanks. I feel better now. I've been deciding between a 65 inch and 75 inch version of this TV at a distance of 7 - 8ft so knowing you are having a really good time with a bigger tv has reassured me.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020

Thank god I'm only upgrading my 2015 Samsung JU6800 next year, hopefully by then Sony, Samsung and LG have ironed out their respective issues

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone tested the 4K 100hz mode to see if it has the same issue? Super bummed about this.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Man. I was going to buy one then decided to wait for the firmware update. Sounds like I dodged a potential bullet.

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. I bought this TV as it seemed like the best line between price and performance, but I also expected a TV that would have all the features that I wanted for the coming years. If it isn't that, I don't know if I want to hang onto it.

Going to wait a few days to see whether a software based solution looks feasible. I really don't want to go through the hassle of returning it.
Samsung q90t is awesome if u return it. I love mine

Jun 10, 2018
Something is strange in this review for the Series X & S. The person is reviewing the consoles with the Sony x900H. But it looks like he has the Series X on the HDMI 2 port but somehow still gets 4K @ 120hz with HDR. That seems very strange as only ports 3 & 4 are supposed to be HDMI 2.1 and have the Enhanced Format option for 4K @ 120hz. But in the video there doesn't appear to be any apparent blurring of the image. Granted I didn't bother to watch the review in 4K, will probably go back and look at the parts where it shows the games being played off-screen.

Has anyone tested to see if 4K @ 120hz is available on HDMI Port 2?

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I hope they can get them fixed via firmware. Not sure what happened seems like their is no perfect TV after all. Boo

It sounds like the CX would be close enough if it wasn't twice the price of the Sony. I wonder why LG don't have a 900h equivalent; something with all the features at a decent price, but without the OLED display?