• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Wondering the same as I just bought this TV last week. I don't care too much for 120fps, so if I can keep the display at 4K60 and not have the issue, i'll be okay.

Yes you can, you need to change the setting in the settings > watching TV > HDMI inputs to force it to 4K 120hz, just leave it on the enhanced setting for 4K60 with Dolby Vision. This is done on HDMI 3 and 4 ports.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure if they even tested that, as Samsung are listing the range as "<20" in the specs - which makes me think they only copied it.
40–60 Hz is not enough to support doubling using the typical FreeSync LFC.
LFC requires a range of 2.5x to provide enough headroom for it to operate correctly (24–60).
I suppose it's possible for consoles to handle this differently, treating 40–60 as 20–30 if they know a game will never exceed 30, but I believe the native range on these Samsungs is 48–120 Hz.

I've tested this recently.
So as it stands, for a game with VRR enabled : such as Destiny 2 which might drop a few frames here and there from 30fps, you can lose those without judder.
It's a window in which VRR can effectively work here for a display with an advertised 40-60hz range (is 20-30fps)
So we have the evidence that "LFC" which is a marketing term does function.

Obviously, it's of little value to have such a small value as you can't cover those intermediate areas between the double frames and the native output of the display.
So to handle a framerate that is 39fps for example which is 1hz below the minimum window, you need a display with 78hz in order to frame double.
However, to handle a frame rate drop to 28fps, you only need a display with 56hz native support.

Now for our 60FPS games they can float within that native range of 40-60 easily without any changes. But drop down below 40 fps (but higher than 30) and you have no native refresh left, the display back to 60fps and you will get the normal judder you would associate with a vsync mismatch.

TDLR
Any games that are between 30-40fps can not benefit from VRR on a 60hz display, but FPS above/below that can. (20-30 / 40-60)
Obviously, the examples here are contingent on a 40-60 display. one with 48-60hz ranges are going to be operate with 2 slightly different ranges.

Of course all of this stuff is there to smooth out far larger fluctuations than what is described here.

Wing126

Oct 12, 2019
Yes you can, you need to change the setting in the settings > watching TV > HDMI inputs to force it to 4K 120hz, just leave it on the enhanced setting for 4K60 with Dolby Vision. This is done on HDMI 3 and 4 ports.

Perfect, it's still a good TV to me in that case. Thanks for answering!

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall their review of the 48CX as a monitor making any note of the severe color banding issues that it has in PC mode, for example, and the scores they assign for bad performance in some tests seem far too high.

I've been saying their scores are shitty for awhile now. You can have a set that has no HDR capability and it can still score over a 4 rating in its HDR ability. In fact the last I checked, pretty much all HDR capable sets had at least a 7 rating and up regardless of quality and only those that didn't had a 4. How they generate their scores are awful.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I've tested this recently.
So as it stands, for a game with VRR enabled : such as Destiny 2 which might drop a few frames here and there from 30fps, you can lose those without judder.
It's a window in which VRR can effectively work here for a display with an advertised 40-60hz range (is 20-30fps)
So we have the evidence that "LFC" which is a marketing term does function.
LFC is not just a "marketing term" - it's a feature which they had to add to FreeSync because it was missing at launch.
Prior to that, a 40–120Hz display would lock to 40Hz for anything below 40 FPS - which resulted in worse frame-pacing than a 120Hz fixed-refresh display. PC Perspective had a detailed video on the subject years ago.
A lot of people this year seem to have been making the mistake in thinking that LFC is a display feature which has to be supported by the TV though, rather than something which is enabled on the output device if the VRR range is wide enough (at least 2.5x).

It does seem that the Xbox consoles can support divisors of the VRR range though - presumably when the game is using half-rate V-Sync, rather than running 30 FPS at 60Hz via a frame rate limiter.
I don't believe that's a standard FreeSync feature - though I haven't touched a FreeSync display which is unable to support LFC in years now, so that may have changed. It will be interesting to see if the PS5 behaves the same way.
This is not LFC though, since LFC's goal is to support all rates from zero to the maximum refresh rate.

I've speculated in the past about how LFC could be implemented as a display-side feature though.
If you have a display panel that operates at a 40–120Hz range, the display could report that it accepts 24–60Hz on the input side and apply the frame duplication in its internal processing, since the panel itself would be capable of that.
To my knowledge there's no display which supports this however, and I think it's unlikely that there would be.

I've been saying their scores are shitty for awhile now. You can have a set that has no HDR capability and it can still score over a 4 rating in its HDR ability. In fact the last I checked, pretty much all HDR capable sets had at least a 7 rating and up regardless of quality and only those that didn't had a 4. How they generate their scores are awful.
Yeah, a lot of it seems arbitrary. I had to talk down a friend recently from buying a mediocre display because they saw that RTINGS had rated it "highly" based on a feature that it had a barely-passable implementation of, but scored well enough.
It's especially weird because they say that they purchase all the displays themselves rather than accepting review units. I got into trouble with Samsung (far) in the past for giving one of their TVs an unfavorable score in a review after it had the worst clouding/mura I've ever seen on a display, and they started to withhold review units after that. If you're beholden to the manufacturers, inflated scores are somewhat understandable.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a lot of it seems arbitrary. I had to talk down a friend recently from buying a mediocre display because they saw that RTINGS had rated it "highly" based on a feature that it had a barely-passable implementation of, but scored well enough.
It's especially weird because they say that they purchase all the displays themselves rather than accepting review units. I got into trouble with Samsung (far) in the past for giving one of their TVs an unfavorable score in a review after it had the worst clouding/mura I've ever seen on a display, and they started to withhold review units after that. If you're beholden to the manufacturers, inflated scores are somewhat understandable.

It's supposedly not arbitrary. They have some sort of formula where they score different factors which then is calculated to the score it receives. They have links explaining that, but I'm going to say it doesn't matter. They're generating scores on some formula that nobody is going to read or understand and it's going to go against the intuitive nature of how the average person views that score. And regardless, no matter how justified their formula is, having no HDR ability at all should never net you a score of 4 in HDR capability. It should be a 0 or a 1 at the highest. Nor should the mere fact that a set has HDR in some form, and I'm talking about not even having wide color gamut, it should not get you a 7 as a bare minimum. It's just a flawed and awful system when that's the results you get. I wrote about this about a year ago, so maybe they've changed since then, but at the time it was a huge eye opener with how meaningless their scores are.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Issue is that not even the CX is perfect (although it is right now the best 2.1 option). 4K@120Hz with HDR works great but enabling VRR causes dark areas to flicker. In addition, I appears that eARC and VRR don't play well together either. Basically, VRR on TVs is botched in general.
Wait... What's the problem with VRR and eARC?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
LFC is not just a "marketing term" - it's a feature which they had to add to FreeSync because it was missing at launch.
Prior to that, a 40–120Hz display would lock to 40Hz for anything below 40 FPS - which resulted in worse frame-pacing than a 120Hz fixed-refresh display. PC Perspective had a detailed video on the subject years ago.
A lot of people this year seem to have been making the mistake in thinking that LFC is a display feature which has to be supported by the TV though, rather than something which is enabled on the output device if the VRR range is wide enough (at least 2.5x).

It does seem that the Xbox consoles can support divisors of the VRR range though - presumably when the game is using half-rate V-Sync, rather than running 30 FPS at 60Hz via a frame rate limiter.
I don't believe that's a standard FreeSync feature - though I haven't touched a FreeSync display which is unable to support LFC in years now, so that may have changed. It will be interesting to see if the PS5 behaves the same way.
This is not LFC though, since LFC's goal is to support all rates from zero to the maximum refresh rate.

It's now used marketing term to give a badge as to whether a displays supports "LFC", which as you said has nothing to do with the display

This confusion you describe is down to AMD creating the Freesync Premium brand for displays, when as you say it has nothing to do with the display.

This behaviour from the Xbox is the same on a "freesync" display or on a VRR one.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
What is a good TV to purchase that is in the same price range as the X900H and doesn't have such issues? This was what I was planning to get on Black Friday but now I'm not so sure.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I would say this is just another reason for me to avoid eARC but heh the other options right now are fucked too.
I think right now on the CX it makes more sense to deactivate VRR since it's buggy either way.
Basically, there is no TV that supports the full range of 2.1 features without any issues. The CX is still overall the best and LG's support is quite good which makes me hopeful that any issues in relation to the new consoles will be eventually ironed out.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
What is a good TV to purchase that is in the same price range as the X900H and doesn't have such issues? This was what I was planning to get on Black Friday but now I'm not so sure.

also curious if there's a good alternative. also (and I posted this in the main TV thread too), but it looks like the 85" X90CH product page was removed from costco.... anyone know what's up with that? I can't find it anywhere on their site.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
How are they testing the 120 hz? have they tested it with a console vs a PC? I'm curious to know it def would seem a PC may have issues displaying text vs the consoles. But they Dolby Vision piece is def something as well, is that due to the software implementation? Does the LG have an actual DV chip?
This is why I'm waiting a year or two before getting a new TV. I know the LGs got things fixed recently as well when people were running into some issues but performance is On par now.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Was already set to pick one up, but that sounds like a big oof.

A bummer, still sounds like the best TV for me, but that wouldn't feel like a good purchase now.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Right now it's my understanding that there kind of isn't if you want a TV with HDMI 2.1 at this price. Overall it's a great package for the amount you're paying but if these issues concern you it might be worth waiting for next year's TVs.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think people need to chill out until the second update that adds VRR and whatnot comes out. It's clear that this first firmware update is a half measure.

Lexxon

Oct 25, 2017
I have this TV and love it thus far for mixed use. Fastest smart TV processor around, runs Moonlight like a champ. I haven't actually tested 4K/120hz with my 3080 yet, it in theory works with Moonlight but 1080p/120 I haven't tried much, and 4k/120 runs into bandwidth issues so only runs around 90hz, so I don't even bother.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
This tv is meant for consoles, I have zero loss of quality on one X 1080p 120hz but I do on my PC at the same resolution/hz. I believe it'll be fine for ps5 - series X

Morgenstern

Oct 28, 2017
I'm giving Sony until Black Friday season to fix this. Otherwise I'll return it to Costco and go back to an LG OLED with the hope of better screen uniformity than the B9. It was reeeeeally bad with no stock left to exchange.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I just got a X950H instead of bothering with the x900H. Don't get HDMI 2.1 but the picture quality is spectacular (plus I always watch a lot of 4k Blu Rays so picture quality matters more to me than 120FPS).

Deleted member 59

Yeah I've decided to hold fire on a new TV until every one else has been a guinea pig and tested things for me. My current, HDR-less 4K will do for my XSX for next couple months at least.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Yeh Samsung (Q80Taand Q95T) and game mode picture quality is turning me off from getting it over the x9000h, even with this blur issue.
Not only that panels are not uniform and they tend to have halo effect in dark even tough they have more zones.

People who have money should either get lgcx or wait for Vizio or next year models.

Another option is LG nan090&86 but they are IPS pannels

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is that an issue even with the C9? Because I use VRR and eARC with no audio delay. Or is it only at 4K/120hz?
I honestly don't know. I saw it somewhere being mentioned as part of LG's documentation and it's important to me because I plan to buy a CX and I use a soundbar.

No delay here at 4k/120hz and VRR with eARC on a C9, so it would be terrible if it went backwards on the new model. Only issue I have is getting Atmos to work consistently at that refresh and resolution. Hopefully that can be fixed at some point and it's not an issue that the 3000 series went with the reduced bandwidth output that all TVs apart from the C9 also seem to have.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/jkiypg/reviewtechusa_drops_x900h_review_showing_off_4k/

Comments are suggesting this issue with the blur is only when using it with a PC. No idea if it's accurate or not.

Showing off 4k 120fps apparently.

Haven't watched the entire thing yet, so not sure if he covers the blur issue.

I suspect its a PC issue and it will be fine on consoles no way to know Until someone tests it. Ive seen wonky shit with text etc over time with TVs when it came to PC sources.
A couple others on the AVS Forum also not having the issue.

How strange.
this is kind of why you need to wait and see it tested with consoles to be sure. All of this is solely based on PC And would need to know drivers, cards used etc to see if its universal or isolated.

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
Want the 900h but I'm waiting until Black Friday to try to cop that 65 inch for cheap.

Hopefully we get some TV impressions and reviews the week of Black Friday, but anyone that can wait probably should with all this HDMI 2.1 mess. I almost pulled the trigger multiple times this week and if you got the cash and faith then go for it, but I'm going to wait until whatever I buy works perfectly the day I get it home and I know this for a fact.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the best judge with picture quality, but I think 4k@120 looks fantastic in-game on my 3080. Even internet browsing/videos are fine. The only thing I notice is that the text on my desktop isn't as crisp, but everything else is fine.