• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
A 120hz update without VRR was always a half-step update. It's the "peas" to high framerate gaming's "carrots". And if you look at Sony's response in the context of VRR not being ready, it's easy to see how this may be a temporary measure to 'smooth" 120hz gameplay in its absence.

Once VRR had been added, assuming it's full-range and working as intended, such measures become redundant. In any event , we know for a fact a second major HDMI 2.1-facing update is coming soon.

It's also worth noting that literally every manufacturer has been having significant issues with 2.1 implementation:

which is to be expected as this is brand new stuff and we're in the early adopter phase.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
A 120hz update without VRR was always a half-step update. It's the "peas" to high framerate gaming's "carrots". And if you look at Sony's response in the context of VRR not being ready, it's easy to see how this may be a temporary measure to 'smooth" 120hz gameplay in its absence.

Once VRR had been added, assuming it's full-range and working as intended, such measures become redundant. In any event , we know for a fact a second major HDMI 2.1-facing update is coming soon.

It's also worth noting that literally every manufacturer has been having significant issues with 2.1 implementation:

which is to be expected as this is brand new stuff and we're in the early adopter phase.

This being an intended feature to "smooth" 120hz gameplay doesn't make any sense.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I don't even think this thread should just be isolated to one TV as all the tvs, if you are remotely even reading at all about purchasing a new tv, they all have some degree of limitation. While they all can do the 40 or 48 gbps required for what's necessary, this first or second iteration is just missing some of the over the polish that if you are looking into a TV I would definitely recommend the LG CX but like I said, specifically making a thread for the Sony TVs makes no sense as either you are uninformed about the issues that some of the TVs and even avr's are facing or you are obviously limited in your experience and research. We have a full discussion about this in the several TV threads as far as dealing with some of the hoops you might need to go through. The first thing is obviously get yourself a decent cable and for me, a 3080 owner, I've been tweaking and messing around with my CX for about a month now since I've got the graphics card. It does what I needed to do but I do realize it we are kind of sort of still in that first or second iteration and the future TVs will have the ability to do basically everything that the 2.1 spec calls for and it will all just work. The only thing I can hope for is for minor firmware tweaks and we've already had the big one for the CX in which it fixes the g-sync issues but for those of us who want the best of the best you're going to want at least the freesync premium higher end here or the g-sync higher in tier which none of the TVs have and if you do your research you'll see that those have pretty much no restrictions on how much it can output to that HDMI 2.1 bandwidth and it'll do all the bills and whistles like HDR, Auto low latency mode, 4K 120, and pretty much all the major talking points in the 2.1 spec all simultaneously.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I wish I could get an upgrade, but I already upgraded to the C8 over a year ago now. I wish it could do 1440p or 4k120. Other than that, I love the damn thing.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
A 950g owner here. Sony's handling of TVs and next generation features has been awful. The 950g, 900h and 950h are relatively new TVs and they have awful next gen support.

It's not like Sony didn't know what the ps5 was going to support. Why gimp your televisions when it comes to consoles? Bizarre decisions from them last few years.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
This being an intended feature to "smooth" 120hz gameplay doesn't make any sense.

That's what appears to be happening. AccordingVincent, some sort of post processing is intentionally being applied here that creates the blurred effect.

Perhaps it's similar to Samsung's method of gimping certain aspects of image processing for super low input lag.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Before people scoff at the idea of 120Hz gaming, keep in mind that the whole premise behind buying the X900h, and Sony's marketing push for it, is that it's supports HDMI 2.1 features. Whether you feel games at 120fps are not interesting or viable is irrelevant.

Without HDMI 2.1 and basically downgraded to a 60Hz panel, the X900h losses the only edge it had against competing TCL, Vizio and Hisense sets, which are considerably more affordable. It actually makes the X900H quite overpriced in comparison, because theres really nothing special about it. Brightness is mediocre and so is local dimming.

Don't buy this TV. Get a Q80T, or an OLED, or a H9G if you can't afford the former.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I've been floating Between the Sony X900, Samsung QLEDs and the LGCX for months. This does not help buying a new TV anxiety.

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
Someone just tell me what 65' TV I should get for my PS5. Lol
I would say wait a year or two on a new TV for some of the HDMI 2.1 kinks to be worked out, if I had waited a year for my Sony 4k set I could have had Dolby Vision =( who knows what other improvements they will have if you wait a year or two?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy this TV. Get a Q80T, or an OLED, or a H9G if you can't afford the former.

A lot of bad incorrect points but pushing people towards a Q80T, and especially H9G is awful advice.

Q80T's VRR is limited to 60hz, it only features one 2.1 port, there's no Dolby Vision support at all, and it has a sub par Game Mode compared to the other manufacturers.

HG9 is good on paper, but Hisense has notoriously terrible reliability and there's a horrible red ghosting that hasn't been fixed.

OLED is a great choice. But even there it's HDMI 2.1 was largely broken untill last week with the CX. Theres a 2000 post thread on it. Come on.

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
With all this information, I guess I should wait for the next set of HDMI 2.1 TVs. Was going to get the 900H, but with this news, it sounds like I should hold off.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
if you don't buy a new tv now for next gen, when would the next set of quality tvs come out? Sometime next year?

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
LG OLED isn't perfect, it's not the best choice for gaming either.

I'm interested in why you say this. It's definitely not perfect, clearly no TV is, but among the alternatives in the TV sphere the CX seems to be the best choice for gaming unless you discount local dimming and contrast as not being important for gaming.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
A lot of bad incorrect points but pushing people towards a Q80T, and especially H9G is awful advice.

Q80T's VRR is limited to 60hz.
If you are referring to the Rtings review, then they had no HDMI 2.1 sources to test with. The set has a 40gbps HDMi 2.1 port and has been tested by 3080 users to function at 120hz with VRR.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Two of the issues are nitpicking at best if you plan to get only PS5.
The 120hz image issue is the only thing that needs to be addressed IMO.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
if you don't buy a new tv now for next gen, when would the next set of quality tvs come out? Sometime next year?
They usually get announced in January at CES, then release 6months after that.

Right now, there just isn't much choice. It's a relatively easy choice to pick the LG OLEDs as they have everything covered, but if you don't want to spend that kind of money or feel that LCD is the right option, then options are limited.

And ultimately I suspect they will be for quite some time as there is a cost both for hardware and for the panels to be able to support these features - which as of right this second are super niche and specific only to high-end gaming machines.
We haven't seen a big drop in cost for quality HDR sets over the last 5 years and now they have all this other stuff to cost in too.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
They usually get announced in January at CES, then release 6months after that.

Right now, there just isn't much choice. It's a relatively easy choice to pick the LG OLEDs as they have everything covered, but if you don't want to spend that kind of money or feel that LCD is the right option, then options are limited.

And ultimately I suspect they will be for quite some time as there is a cost both for hardware and for the panels to be able to support these features - which as of right this second are super niche and specific only to high-end gaming machines.
We haven't seen a big drop in cost for quality HDR sets over the last 5 years and now they have all this other stuff to cost in too.

Thanks! That makes me feel more comfortable just going with the LG CX today

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
LG CX and you'll be streets ahead.
LG CX if you ask me. Even if some of the features don't work (I don't know if VRR works with PS5), it will provide the best experience.

ERA never lets me down. Sounds like I'll wait a year and snag a LG CX. I do keep hearing about this TV. Thanks y'all!

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Does it make a Q80T a good choice to buy then?

Also for the Sony, is it possible to just lock the screen to use 4k60 and bypass the issue?

It's a quality TV, a terrific choice for bright room and family viewing, but if you need more than one 2.1 port, care about Dolby Vision, and/or dislike their approach to game mode(prioritizes input lag over IQ) then maybe keep searching.

Wing126

Oct 12, 2019

Also for the Sony, is it possible to just lock the screen to use 4k60 and bypass the issue?

Wondering the same as I just bought this TV last week. I don't care too much for 120fps, so if I can keep the display at 4K60 and not have the issue, i'll be okay.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhhh.... I had to squint at the zoomed in examples, doubt this will add up to much in motion especially since most 120 FPS modes will already be sacrificing visual fidelity. But as a recent purchaser I of course hope they improve it.
Mikey Jr.
For VRR to work correctly, you need to always be outputting 120Hz, even if you're playing a 30/60 FPS game - so the console should be outputting 4K120 at all times.
And consoles scale everything to a single output, so you'd have to keep changing the video settings every time you wanted to play a 120 FPS game if you didn't leave it at a 4K120 output.

I'm already to in love with it too send it back. I was under the impression that 4k 120 has nothing to do with next gen games though correct? I'll be using this for my ps5 but that's about it besides general movies and streaming.
Next-gen games are nearly the only thing 4K120 support is relevant for.

Do not buy something based on a promise future firmware update. You don't know how that will turn out. There's been examples of gotchas that came up after firmware updates have been released or heck even the upcoming Yamaha receiver has a hardware bug preventing the promised firmware from functioning properly with HDMI 2.1.
This is what I've been saying all year. People shouldn't buy the X900H until the VRR update is released, and has been tested.
VRR is quite challenging to implement, for a variety of different reasons - so there's a lot that can go wrong.
Even OLED, where it should be much easier to implement due to its fast response times, seems to be having issues with it. But at least fixed 120Hz support is working there, and I trust LG to actually do something about it. Of all the TV manufacturers, LG seem to be the most responsive to actually fixing issues with their TVs - particularly related to gaming.

Still getting the TV and I'll wait till next year to get the major one that I want. I was going to get the LGCX but that no DTS was a huge deal breaker to me.
This really only matters for DTS:X sources, or when using ARC for audio pass-through.
Since eARC adds support for LPCM pass-through, you should be able to set your player to decode DTS/DTS-HD to LPCM and pass it through that way.

Can next gen consoles be set to only output at 60hz maximum? I think i like the benefits of the x900 over the Samsung 90T, but this 120hz stuff is annoying. Might still go for it and just stick to 60fps only.
You could just connect it to an HDMI 2.0 port to force it to 60Hz if there's no option for it.
I expect that there would be though.

🙄 Please people, don't waste time and money trying to chase a perfect scenario. Do your research of pros and cons for things you're looking for and let price be a factor as well.
Did you not watch the video?
It looks like 120Hz content is being displayed at 1/4 resolution.

JFC these guys are so far up their own arse with the "lol soundbars" mantra. Yes everyone knows that a dedicated speaker setup >>>> soundbar setup but they really take the holier-than-thou-ness of that to new levels.
Spending the same amount of money on a pair of stereo speakers will sound far better than a sound bar, at almost any price.

If you are referring to the Rtings review, then they had no HDMI 2.1 sources to test with. The set has a 40gbps HDMi 2.1 port and has been tested by 3080 users to function at 120hz with VRR.
RTINGS have been really misleading by posting the wrong VRR ranges for Samsung TVs (saying it goes down to <20Hz) and listing only what they were able to test as the "supported range" without mentioning that they lacked the hardware to test the full range.
On top of that, they've overlooked several issues on multiple displays now, which has really lowered my opinion of them quite a lot.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Q80t is a nice TV, but look up at its image performance game mode, it blooms more than others.

On Xbox it will default to 4k 120hz if the TV is capable (in the same way it defaults to 4k 60hz on current-gen) I don't know about Ps5.
But if you are going to try and avoid 4k 120 on the Sony. Just buy a better TV that only does HDmi 2.0 of which there are many.
Hell find one that does 1080p 120hz as that is fundamentally what you are getting here.

Mikey Jr.
RTINGS have been really misleading by posting the wrong VRR ranges for Samsung TVs (saying it goes down to <20Hz) and listing only what they were able to test as the "supported range" without mentioning that they lacked the hardware to test the full range.
On top of that, they've overlooked several issues on multiple displays now, which has really lowered my opinion of them quite a lot.

I would presume they have tested something with a 20fps framerate and have concluded that is the range: when in fact that is simply their source device frame doubling and it's probably a native range of 40-60hz.

Same difference I suppose when it comes to games.

They are super methodical, so it is unusual for them to overlook something, perhaps now there is more tooling available there will be more info.

Last edited:

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Like with the AV Receivers having issues with HDMI 2.1 sources.
The real problem is that this is all beta hardware.

The Nvidia 30 series was the first time consumer devices could push 4k@120hz
And it turned out some of these 2.1 compliant TVs needed firmware updates.

With the consoles coming out I imagine there might be another set of these issues.

Personally I'd hold off until someone like HDTVTest or rtings check if they work themselves.

Or even wait until next year's models where TV manufacturers will be able to test and refine their next TVs using actual input sources rather than test signal generators.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, 2020 is not a good year to buy a new TV. I know it's super tempting but the best thing to do is wait until next year, let the teething issues resolve and take a call on what's the best option in market after extensive tests and RL feedback.

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
It's a quality TV, a terrific choice for bright room and family viewing, but if you need more than one 2.1 port, care about Dolby Vision, and/or dislike their approach to game mode(prioritizes input lag over IQ) then maybe keep searching.
Q80t is a nice TV, but look up at its image performance game mode, it blooms more than others.

On Xbox it will default to 4k 120hz if the TV is capable (in the same way it defaults to 4k 60hz on current-gen) I don't know about Ps5.
But if you are going to try and avoid 4k 120 on the Sony. Just buy a better TV that only does HDmi 2.0 of which there are many.
Hell find one that does 1080p 120hz as that is fundamentally what you are getting here.

Thanks. Well I guess I'll wait and see if Sony fixes this.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Mikey Jr.
For VRR to work correctly, you need to always be outputting 120Hz, even if you're playing a 30/60 FPS game - so the console should be outputting 4K120 at all times.
And consoles scale everything to a single output, so you'd have to keep changing the video settings every time you wanted to play a 120 FPS game if you didn't leave it at a 4K120 output.

If I understand the two of you correctly, then as soon as the patch was applied, my Xbox One X should have defaulted to the 120 Hz mode regardless of source FPS, right? If that's the case then I guess I can already confirm that it's visually indistinguishable on my set or to my eyes 🤷 Or did your statement only apply to next gen Xbox consoles EvilBoris ?

In any case I'll go manually flip back and forth between 60 and 120 on the Xbox and see if I can notice a difference now that I'm looking for it.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing reminds me more that, even though I post on a hobbyist forum, I'm evidently a casual gamer than TV threads on Era.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
What a confusing mess to wade through. 2020 very much feels like a transitional year for TVs, with various TV makers' models having a mix of features but not everything in one package. I'm just going to wait until the TV makers announce their 2021 line up. By then, hopefully, they would have gotten their shit together and have TVs for sale will full feature sets without having to worry about firmware updates and whether the features actually work as intended.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
If I understand the two of you correctly, then as soon as the patch was applied, my Xbox One X should have defaulted to the 120 Hz mode regardless of source FPS, right? If that's the case then I guess I can already confirm that it's visually indistinguishable on my set or to my eyes 🤷 Or did your statement only apply to next gen Xbox consoles EvilBoris ?

In any case I'll go manually flip back and forth between 60 and 120 on the Xbox and see if I can notice a difference now that I'm looking for it.
The xbox one x is not capable of outputting a 4k 120hz signal.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
For the people that are hesitant on the CX with the VRR issues. Wait until LG actually fixes before even buying it. Either through an update or by releasing the CX11 which will likely come out next summer.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I have mine on order from Best Buy, but maybe I should cancel since I'm not getting a next gen console any time soon...

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
A 950g owner here. Sony's handling of TVs and next generation features has been awful. The 950g, 900h and 950h are relatively new TVs and they have awful next gen support.

It's not like Sony didn't know what the ps5 was going to support. Why gimp your televisions when it comes to consoles? Bizarre decisions from them last few years.

Same here. I bought the 75 inch 950g last year well knowing about the new features on the way, but Sony has always been terrible with their TVs. Even the 65X850B that I had before buying the 950g was treated as an afterthought with updates.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Same here. I bought the 75 inch 950g last year well knowing about the new features on the way, but Sony has always been terrible with their TVs. Even the 65X850B that I had before buying the 950g was treated as an afterthought with updates.

which is a shame because I love the picture quality of the 950s second only to the oleds imo.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Before people scoff at the idea of 120Hz gaming, keep in mind that the whole premise behind buying the X900h, and Sony's marketing push for it, is that it's supports HDMI 2.1 features. Whether you feel games at 120fps are not interesting or viable is irrelevant.

Without HDMI 2.1 and basically downgraded to a 60Hz panel, the X900h losses the only edge it had against competing TCL, Vizio and Hisense sets, which are considerably more affordable. It actually makes the X900H quite overpriced in comparison, because theres really nothing special about it. Brightness is mediocre and so is local dimming.

Q80T is twice the price and the H9G doesn't support 4k@120hz. If you're buying for 4k@120hz the x900h is the best value pick out there right now. Here in Canada the x900h is cheaper than the H9G currently.

The picture quality on the H9G is amazing but don't pretend like it's clearly better with the red ghosting and slightly worse motion processing. Both televisions have compromises.

The clear option right now if you haven't already bought a TV is to wait. HDMI 2.1 support will be available in many more sets next year, so you'll have better choices in where to make sacrifices.

As for 4K@120, I think the requirement for it with next gen consoles will be largely overblown. Hopefully the consoles will support 1440p with all the bells and whistles, you won't be getting full blown RT with anything over 4k@30 in 99% of games.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What games are these? I've seen games offer one or the other but not both together which seems to be the issue with this TV.
Unless you go into your console's video output settings and reduce resolution to 1080p or refresh rate to 60hz before you play a 120fps game, the machine is going to output a 4K 120hz signal regardless of internal rendering resolution.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Unless you go into your console's video output settings and reduce resolution to 1080p or refresh rate to 60hz before you play a 120fps game, the machine is going to output a 4K 120hz signal regardless of internal rendering resolution.

Oh I see. So the consoles upscale the image and not the TV. Thanks for the clarification.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I would presume they have tested something with a 20fps framerate and have concluded that is the range: when in fact that is simply their source device frame doubling and it's probably a native range of 40-60hz.
Same difference I suppose when it comes to games.
They are super methodical, so it is unusual for them to overlook something, perhaps now there is more tooling available there will be more info.
I'm not sure if they even tested that, as Samsung are listing the range as "<20" in the specs - which makes me think they only copied it.
40–60 Hz is not enough to support doubling using the typical FreeSync LFC.
LFC requires a range of 2.5x to provide enough headroom for it to operate correctly (24–60).
I suppose it's possible for consoles to handle this differently, treating 40–60 as 20–30 if they know a game will never exceed 30, but I believe the native range on these Samsungs is 48–120 Hz.

As I said, there's been a few things lately which has left me disappointed with RTINGS, and questioning how thorough their testing actually is.
I don't recall their review of the 48CX as a monitor making any note of the severe color banding issues that it has in PC mode, for example, and the scores they assign for bad performance in some tests seem far too high.

If I understand the two of you correctly, then as soon as the patch was applied, my Xbox One X should have defaulted to the 120 Hz mode regardless of source FPS, right? If that's the case then I guess I can already confirm that it's visually indistinguishable on my set or to my eyes 🤷 Or did your statement only apply to next gen Xbox consoles EvilBoris?

Since few displays support anything less than 40Hz minimums for VRR, and 48Hz is typical for TVs, it means that anything less than a 100/120Hz output is going to have compromised VRR performance.
  • A 120Hz output enables VRR to work from 0–120 FPS, using LFC.
  • A 60Hz output means it can only operate from 40/48–60 FPS. And possibly 20/24–30 FPS too, if the consoles have special handling for that range.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I'm not sure if they even tested that, as Samsung are listing the range as "<20" in the specs - which makes me think they only copied it.
40–60 Hz is not enough to support doubling using the typical FreeSync LFC.
LFC requires a range of 2.5x to provide enough headroom for it to operate correctly (24–60).
I suppose it's possible for consoles to handle this differently, treating 40–60 as 20–30 if they know a game will never exceed 30, but I believe the native range on these Samsungs is 48–120 Hz.

As I said, there's been a few things lately which has left me disappointed with RTINGS, and questioning how thorough their testing actually is.
I don't recall their review of the 48CX as a monitor making any note of the severe color banding issues that it has in PC mode, for example, and the scores they assign for bad performance in some tests seem far too high.

Since few displays support anything less than 40Hz minimums for VRR, and 48Hz is typical for TVs, it means that anything less than a 100/120Hz output is going to have compromised VRR performance.
  • A 120Hz output enables VRR to work from 0–120 FPS, using LFC.
  • A 60Hz output means it can only operate from 40/48–60 FPS. And possibly 20/24–30 FPS too, if the consoles have special handling for that range.

Thanks for the info, but the question wasn't really about VRR.

My understanding of the assertion in this thread is that the blurriness will apply to all content whenever 120 Hz output is enabled, regardless of VRR (and indeed VRR isn't even supported yet on this TV). I was just trying to clarify if I should already be seeing this effect on my TV, since I got the 120 Hz patch but didn't notice any visual difference.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm waiting until 2021 models before upgrading. Those sets will target next gen consoles hopefully without compromises. Hopefully the budget sets are really good from vizio and tcl.