• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
"There is no perfect TV" still holding true.

Got the X900 a few weeks ago and pretty happy with it. If it#s really bad I can only use 60fps modes I guess if games support them, which is still pretty great.

niaobx

Banned
Aug 3, 2020
This is such bullshit. How come there is no nice gaming TV that doesn't cost as much as LG OLEDs? Especially outside of US as there are even less options there without the Hisense/TCL/VIzio

Last edited:
OP
OP

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, unfortunately return policies in Singapore are not as consumer friendly as in the US, UK or EU so I couldn't even upgrade to the CX if I wanted to. This stings especially hard because I was all set to get the CX before I decided to do the financially responsible thing and settled for this TV at less than half the price for a larger model. Sorry for ranting, but the prospect of staring at what could be a pretty expensive mistake for the next 5 years is really bumming me out.

In the meantime I've sent an angry email to Sony's customer support. I suggest everyone affected by this do the same.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
Sigh, unfortunately return policies in Singapore are not as consumer friendly as in the US, UK or EU so I couldn't even upgrade to the CX if I wanted to. This stings especially hard because I was all set to get the CX before I decided to do the financially responsible thing and settled for this TV at less than half the price for a larger model. Sorry for ranting, but the prospect of staring at what could be a pretty expensive mistake for the next 5 years is really bumming me out.

In the meantime I've sent an angry email to Sony's customer support. I suggest everyone affected by this do the same.
You can take consolation in the fact that you wouldn't have to worry about burn-in and still have good color accuracies.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I admit I don't know much about this but the EDID issue - isn't EDID a standard? So does this mean many/all future TVs will run into an issue with it where they can't enable every feature they might support, because there's not enough space? Hopefully something can be done about that in the future - increasing the EDID size? A new standard to replace it?

Oct 25, 2017
No offense, but who gives a shit about 4k 120?
Dude, nothing is going to hit that outside of some indie games.
Even 120 honestly. I will be surprised if in year 3 and beyond there is 120 fps games.
If there are, it will be in the vast, vast minority.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Even 120 honestly. I will be surprised if in year 3 and beyond there is 120 fps games.

I can run Witcher 3 over 100fps @ 4K with RTX 3080
And that's on ultra settings, I'm sure many older games can hit 4K / 120fps fine.

But I have to downsample to 1440p because I don't have a 4K display that can run over 60hz.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
🙄 Please people, don't waste time and money trying to chase a perfect scenario. Do your research of pros and cons for things you're looking for and let price be a factor as well.

The X900h can be gotten for $1k and for that price it has to be one of the best out there. Not just for the display, but for the overall quality. Plus, I really don't see a whole lot of meaningful gaming 120fps in the future.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
🙄 Please people, don't waste time and money trying to chase a perfect scenario. Do your research of pros and cons for things you're looking for and let price be a factor as well.

The X900h can be gotten for $1k and for that price it has to be one of the best out there. Not just for the display, but for the overall quality. Plus, I really don't see a whole lot of meaningful gaming 120fps in the future.

Yeah, this. I researched quite well and know this TV will be absolutely perfect for me personally while also being reasonably priced.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Awful post.

The TV is running at degraded quality within spec. Amount of games that may hit that is irrelevant and doubly so for PC players.

Last edited:

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tbh I don't really care about 120fps performance at the price it's selling at.

VRR+HDR on the other hand, is immensely important and if Sony botches HDR as badly as Samsung's VRR implementation (seriously, why are people still buying Samsung TVs..), I'm ditching this from my buy list asap.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I'll just play those few 120hz games on PS5 at 60fps, it'll be fine. It'll only really matter for indie games or last gen gsmes anyway.

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I re-hosted the images from AVSForum - this is horrendous! (120 Hz first if it needed pointing out!)

img_7171-jpegyrkcc.jpg

img_7172-jpegwwk7b.jpg

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018

The X900h can be gotten for $1k and for that price it has to be one of the best out there. Not just for the display, but for the overall quality.
100% agree. The X900H should be more than serviceable for the vast majority, because in that price range it pretty much over-delivers and not everyone (not to say only a small fraction of gamers/early adopters) is able to shell out more for a new TV alongside all the buy-in costs you have for a new gen console anyway. No matter what you choose, there's always something to nitpick, and these are "issues" I can certainly live with. There's no better option in that price range anyway, at least to my knowledge.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria

Pretty much this. I went back and forth with so many TV's and then I noticed I am researching 2000$ sets which is CRAZY. Also those sets have some drawbacks as well - like I said, there is no perfect TV.

Got the x900h for under 1k and its perfect so far.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is why you never buy hardware on the promise of a firmware update later on.

Glad I waited to get my next-gen TV.

Several games have already announced 4k 120fps modes. I think it'll be more common than people are expecting, especially among indies and remasters.

What games are these? I've seen games offer one or the other but not both together which seems to be the issue with this TV.

Mokubba

Oct 27, 2017
Something doesn't quite add up if it's also happening at 1080p also.

It sounds more like a bug than a feature but who has the luxury of waiting to find out.

Waiting for next year's TVs at CES is looking like the best thing to do.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
Okay just saw the digital trends channel, where they claim that the new firmware update will add VRR and maybe 4k 120hz to the sony tv.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
100% agree. The X900H should be more than serviceable for the vast majority, because in that price range it pretty much over-delivers and not everyone (not to say only a small fraction of gamers/early adopters) is able to shell out more for a new TV alongside all the buy-in costs you have for a new gen console anyway. No matter what you choose, there's always something to nitpick, and these are "issues" I can certainly live with. There's no better option in that price range anyway, at least to my knowledge.
Exactly. I went through two other TVs before trying the X900h and couldn't be happier for what I spent.

Pretty much this. I went back and forth with so many TV's and then I noticed I am researching 2000$ sets which is CRAZY. Also those sets have some drawbacks as well - like I said, there is no perfect TV.

Same.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't really know enough about the AVR issue to comment on it but I'll add a threadmark to the ongoing discussions on AVS Forum and Reddit:

JFC these guys are so far up their own arse with the "lol soundbars" mantra. Yes everyone knows that a dedicated speaker setup >>>> soundbar setup but they really take the holier-than-thou-ness of that to new levels.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I'd echo this too - know what your choice of TV does and doesn't do and what a few others can/can't do and then pick. Tech moves on and the 2021 TVs will be missing features compared to the 2022 TVs.

IMHO the CX is worth the extra over the 900 because of the proper blacks....BUT it's $300 or $400 more and that can be a deal breaker for many people.

EvilBoris' post on the importance of 4k120hz

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

This must be about the 15th time I've written this. I'm not sure why people are trying so hard to downplay the option to have the best image quality available to them. Especially as

Feeding a 4K 120hz signal doesn't require a 4K 120hz rendered piece of content, but it requires you to be able to A send it from the source device, get it across a cable and have the display process it.

Obviously, we know what resolution does, but we have seen many titles that render above the alledged sweet spot of 1440p on consoles, whether this is natively or it is via checkerboard.
Unless you're plan is for games to render at a
Even when those games are 30fps, there are benefits.

As for the refresh rate, there are multiple reasons we want 120hz
Even if the game is 30fps, this can reduce input latency.
For non vsync'd or adaptive sync games this can make tears appear nearer the top of the screen.
This can help reduce judder in games with poor framepacing.

This also facilitates Wider VRR ranges.If you are running at 60hz, then you will be limited to a VRR range of 20-30fps and 40-60fps. Leaving a gap of 30-40fps meaning potential residual judder/tearing.
Having a 120hz display means you can cover 20-60fps easily with VRR AND go above 60fps.[/QUOTE]

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't matter what resolution the game runs at, your console is outputting 4k unless you fanny around in the settings on a per game basis.

With this TV specifically, it looks like that at 120Hz all the time, not matter what resolution too.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget in 3 years there'll be pro consoles too, so unless you want to buy a new TV then again, 120fps support might be a ton more common when the Pro consoles come out.

And with VRR you don't need 120fps to benefit over 4k 60hz displays... having 60-90fps on VRR >> 60fps on a 60hz display.

I still think by the end of the generation there'll be around or over 1,000 games that support 120 fps modes (including indies and last gen ports).

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

This must be about the 15th time I've written this. I'm not sure why people are trying so hard to downplay the option to have the best image quality available to them. Especially as

Feeding a 4K 120hz signal doesn't require a 4K 120hz rendered piece of content, but it requires you to be able to A send it from the source device, get it across a cable and have the display process it.

Obviously, we know what resolution does, but we have seen many titles that render above the alledged sweet spot of 1440p on consoles, whether this is natively or it is via checkerboard.
Unless you're plan is for games to render at a
Even when those games are 30fps, there are benefits.

As for the refresh rate, there are multiple reasons we want 120hz
Even if the game is 30fps, this can reduce input latency.
For non vsync'd or adaptive sync games this can make tears appear nearer the top of the screen.
This can help reduce judder in games with poor framepacing.

This also facilitates Wider VRR ranges.If you are running at 60hz, then you will be limited to a VRR range of 20-30fps and 40-60fps. Leaving a gap of 30-40fps meaning potential residual judder/tearing.
Having a 120hz display means you can cover 20-60fps easily with VRR AND go above 60fps.

[/QUOTE]
I feel like the capital letters at the start of each line should spell a secret message or something....

"PLEASE JUST LEARN"

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have this issue at 1080p 120hz fortunately, but I'm pretty irritated that this is an issue at 4k 120hz because I bought this TV with the intent of pairing it with a 3080 once I can get my hands on one, so the "there won't be much 120hz content" doesn't fly with me.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
So i can't return it because i have it for to long....

Now I'm mad, First Sony better respond to this fast. Step two if they can't corect that, sorry Sony but i want to get refund, now !

This is the worse scenario i was expecting, this thing going to escalade quickly.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Ive had problems with 120hz on Sony sets before. One where when you set it to 120 there would be little white verticle line artifacts that would occasionally flicker accross the screen. And didn't the 900E have some wonky 1080p upscaling when set to 120hz?

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Do not buy something based on a promise future firmware update. You don't know how that will turn out. There's been examples of gotchas that came up after firmware updates have been released or heck even the upcoming Yamaha receiver has a hardware bug preventing the promised firmware from functioning properly with HDMI 2.1.

Fucking preach it, but some just can't resist getting that shiny new toy. Electronics manufacturers over promise and under deliver again and again. It's no secret and it's hard to feel bad for early adopters at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
This is not the only TV that has issues with HDMI 2.1 VRR and 120hz. The Vizio TV's have issues as well. I think I am going to wait what news comes out of CES 2021 to see what the improvements are. Also I also think TCL and Hisense will announce their first full HDMI 2.1 TV's as well. I am waiting to next year to get a TV.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a X900H this summer because my old TV was dying. I looked at the CX but it was 1000$+ than the 900H for the same size. I'm not surprised it's not as good as the high end OLED.

Mokubba

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if it's the same with consoles too.
What's the chances one of journalists with a console already has this TV.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017

Have you noticed many dead pixels in yours? Mine seems to have like 10 from what I can see.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

The versus matchmaking suite can go all the way to the system's 120fps maximum all while running at 4K resolution. I immediately booted my PC version of the game and created dummy lobbies in order to create like-for-like comparisons to show you how a $500 console's 120fps mode compares to the same thing on a $1,500+ PC: If you're struggling to notice any differences, you're not alone.

What's crazier is, these crisp, detailed images full of handsome touches are appearing in isolation, as opposed to the dazzlingly smooth flipbook effect of running, somersaulting, and shotgunning at 120fps. Yet Xbox Series X doesn't sweat in rendering these frames at a blistering 8.33 millisecond threshold with barely any noticeable lurches in my hours of testing (and, again, with zero noticeable noise spewing out of the console at peak load).

arstechnica.com

Xbox Series X unleashed: Our unrestricted preview

In good news, we finally have a stunning 120fps game. But not much else, games-wise.

Get ready.