• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
One day i'll get arrested for assaulting someone that has honked for futile reasons, you fuckers deserve your engine breaking down in a deserted place while you are in the most hurry situation of your life.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Quit staring at your phone when the traffic light turns green then. Had to honk at someone twice yesterday at a traffic stop to get them to put down their fucking phone and drive.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
If honking makes you so stressed that you think you'll get yourself into accidents, then stay off the roads and do everyone else a favor.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I may have not honked a single time in maybe 5 years.

The worst is when you're creeped forward trying to make a left and you can't see oncoming cars because there also other people on the other side making a left on their side, or it's a van or SUV, so you can't see, you know those times where it LOOKS like you're safe to make it but a car could come ripping down at any moment and you wouldn't know....and a car behind you beeps every time it looks free.

Yeah let me risk my life for you to save 30 seconds.

Oct 27, 2017
Are you in chicago OP? I just visited last weekend, and it's probably just a big city thing, but it felt like there was an absurd degree of honking. Couldn't even figure out why half the time lol.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people who do the full on honk just have personal problems. If somebody gives an unjustified honk I'm gonna take longer, even if it means missing the light.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If you're driving on 1-2 hours sleep then you're more of a danger to others than people honking.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
in the area i live, it is a thing for people to honk immediately when the light turns green. and i mean, immediately.

i figured out why though... it's because they expect the person in the front of the line to be looking down at their phone. therefore they honk to let them know the light has turned.

except that isn't always the case, and it can be really fucking annoying/distracting.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
If you honk behind me for no reason I'll usually maneuver even slower in response to piss you off further.

Oct 25, 2017
I love the people in NY that honk because the light has turned and you're not running down the pedestrians everyone can clearly see crossing in the crosswalk.

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People deserve the horn and the bird if they are going 20 mph under the speed limit during commuting hours. Happened again today.

Or someone driving in the left lane and going the exact same speed as the right lane.

Or stop texting or doing distracting things they shouldnt be doing like make up, or breakfast

People need to learn how to drive.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Is such major honking an american thing?

When I visited the States, I heard more honking there in 2 weeks than I have in my entire life back home.

People just drive normally here or something I guess.

Nov 9, 2017
Lots of bad drivers in here. Want to chastise others for using a horn but then brag about intentionally slowing up traffic as a response like that couldn't also be dangerous.

These are probably the same kind of people who go the exact speed limit in the passing lane on the freeway. That lane is used for passing, not for you to zone out and hold everyone else up.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I only honk when someone almost causes an accident.

People on their phones when they're first in line at a stop light are assholes. If you're first it's your responsibility to be watching that light.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly people don't honk enough, especially when the asshole at the front of the light is on their phone and doesn't notice the light change.

GET OFF YOUR PHONE, RED LIGHTS ARE NOT AN INVITATION TO BROWSE FACEBOOK
I honestly rarely hear honks here. Though I'm also mostly on the east side in Mesa, Gilbert and Apache Junction.

Also I can't honk anyway since my car's horn doesn't work.
Yeah you shouldn't be driving that car until that is fixed because for one that is extremely dangerous and two it's also illegal to drive a car without a functioning horn.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
If you swerve into me, without any warning, you're getting the horn.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
if you're getting honked at regularly, then you're driving poorly. get better and stop blaming other people for letting you know you're messing up. i drive for a living and i almost never ever get honked at.

Is such major honking an american thing?

When I visited the States, I heard more honking there in 2 weeks than I have in my entire life back home.

People just drive normally here or something I guess.

don't blame america for the fact that whoever was driving you didn't know what they were doing

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
What they should teach in driving school is to pay attention to the road, make sure you don't leak into another lane. Living in Boston, if I'm on the road for an hour or 2 there will be no less than 5 people who almost side swipe me or bump into me as the slowly leak over into my lane. I then beep and they quickly correct back to the middle of their lane. It's almost always because they have a GPS up on their phone stand and are just staring at that.

Another thing you'll see is people will slow to about 10 MPH on main roads, turn their blinkers on, start to turn, change their mind, ride their blinker. Look I get the roads are an absolute maze in Boston, I honestly think it's the worst design in the world and unless you live there, you're basically guaranteed to get lost (and even still occasionally if you live there) that being said, you CANNOT ride with your blinker on at 10 unsure of where you are supposed to turn. If you're not sure please pull over FFS.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I rarely honk, almost never. My go to move is to stare at someone and throw up at least one hand in a sort of "... what the fuck are you doing..?" face, or if someone is about to roll through a stop sign, or a rotary, when I have the right of way, I condescendingly wag my finger at them like "no no no..." or "1 minute" drives people fucking bonkers and I love it.

I love visiting new york city though where literally everyone honks at everyone for no reason. I think it's amazing. Like a bunch of animals meeting in the wild going nuts.

If a lot of people are honking at you specifically, you might be a lousy driver.

Literally honked at this thread

get fucked dork

hahaha

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem using my horn if someone is driving like an asshole and about to kill me, or fucking off on their phone at a light.

Come to jersey, we'll show you how it's done.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
The horn sound should be banned from the radio. Every time i hear it from a commercial or something i go "What did i do now?"
so no more Van Halen's "Running With the Devil" on the radio?

but no I do agree with you. That and emergency sirens, do these people making these ads not realize how much it fucks with you when emergency sirens start playing? Looking around for an ambulance for a few seconds before I realize it's just some stupid ad on the radio.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You cannot silence my honks. Last time I did it was cause some lady was trying to make a left turn in the regular lane instead of using the turning lane made specifically for people turning. I could tell she didn't know the area but you should know basic rules of the road.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I'll honk at someone if they're doing something stupid and clearly not paying attention. That's how most people here use it — generally you're really fucking up if someone is honking the horn at you.

Have you driven in certain parts of South and South East Asia? It's used like a freaking echo-location device.
I've been driven in India and it's hilarious. We were sat in traffic at a red light and the instant it changed everyone in the queue starts mashing the horn, like they'd all flipped out at the same time because the guy at the front isn't precognitive.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Oh whoops thread backfire, missed that. The reason you're getting honked at so much is because your sleep deprivation is making it difficult for you to realize how much you're fucking up. Like others have said, it's basically no different than driving drunk. Sayings things like "I'm good at it" or "I'm used to it" are the exact type of phrases drunk drivers use.

So again you're likely getting honked at because you're driving like an asshole, because your reaction time is severely stunted and your senses are dulled.

I'm not trying to pile on you, but please consider the safety of the people around you. If you're struggling to sleep you might want to bring that up with your doctor. Not only is it endangering yourself and everyone else on the road, but in the future the sleep deprivation will take a serious toll on your health.

Last edited:

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If im in super emergency mode, i will even honk people during red light.

I think it just happened last sunday. My parent were supposed to be picked up at airport at 18.00, and i started to drive from home at 17.45. I only had 15 mins to go to airport in 30km distance. So yeah, i didnt even follow the red light rule and went as fast as possible. Lol. I think those cars were so mad at me because i honked them at red light
This post is infuriating. I'm just gonna say I'm SO GLAD you don't live anywhere near me or my loved ones.
Don't fucking run red lights.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
If a horn honk is going to rustle you to the point that you think it might cause you to get into an accident, maybe you shouldn't be driving or need some medication to drive properly. If you're that anxious you may need to speak to someone cause that is not safe for you or others on the road

Nov 1, 2017
The car horn is a warning system designed to let you warn people in your path of impending danger and get out of the way, such as if you've lost control of your car.

It is not there to alert people to your presence.
It is not there for conveying your annoyance.
It is not there for keeping other people on their toes.

If you are using it for anything other than it's expressed purpose you should not be allowed to own a car. In fact, in almost any other country than the USA you are commiting a crime and can be fined.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
You mean entering or exiting the roundabout? If it's entering and a car is inside and you are going to get into its trajectory you have to stop, despite what some people sometimes do...

Obviously I'm not expecting someone to run into someone else. I'm talking about when there's a clear opening, sometimes to the point of absurdity (eg another car to the left is still several car lengths from even entering the roundabout) or there being no traffic at all. If you come to a stop when it's absurd or there's no traffic, I'm honking.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I remember visiting Chicago and becoming stressed because honking was a form of talking there.