• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh!

I played on Index for the first time in many months the other day - and during Beat Saber and Boneworks I noticed stuttering and had to lower settings from where I had them earlier. I chalked it up to both games getting a lot of updates and perhaps the system requirements going up?

Is this what I experienced?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Oh!

I played on Index for the first time in many months the other day - and during Beat Saber and Boneworks I noticed stuttering and had to lower settings from where I had them earlier. I chalked it up to both games getting a lot of updates and perhaps the system requirements going up?

Is this what I experienced?
Highly likely, yes. It's been an issue since May or so.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Oh good, I just beat Half Life Alyx... Although to be honest it didn't bother me too much. I used teleport movement, because I get sick otherwise and I only noticed a stutter occasionally. If I had analog stick movement and was constantly moving I bet it would have been a bigger issues.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
  • [NVENC] Colors of webcam video image on receiving end of Zoom may appear incorrect [3205912]
Oh good maybe everyone in my meetings will stop turning green.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hope it fixes my Alyx issues. Just got a Quest 2 and I could never get the game to run comfortably.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Had some weird issues on DCS lately with my Pimax 5k, I don't know if this will help but I hope so.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Omg finally. Sucks that there's still stutter if you use monitoring apps though. I wonder if there's any way to have them close upon steamvr launch?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Wait, I remember having some stuttering issues in the past and I always have MSI afterburner + Rivatuner open in the background on boot. Would that only be causing issues in VR or normal play too?

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Had some weird issues on DCS lately with my Pimax 5k, I don't know if this will help but I hope so.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
i was WONDERING why pavlov vr was silky smooth in my memories then choppy when i played it recently
I chalked it up to a game update or something

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone with a 3070 tried Alyx with the new drivers? Are the constant stutters when walking finally gone?

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I guess this was what caused issues with Budget Cuts when I played it a few months back? It was stuttering occasionally but enough to make me feel sick, tried many many things to get it working but just ended up assuming it was the game and stopped playing. When I first played I had no issues, but this was after several months, during which time I guess I picked up the graphics driver.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've put fifteen or so hours into Half-Life: Alyx this last week with a Valve Index and a RTX 3070 and I haven't noticed any stuttering.

Maybe I've dodged this bug so far?

So, I guess I should just go ahead and install that driver package?

Oct 26, 2017
I installed it and it solved my unplayable stuttering problem. Now I just need to optimize my minimum spec rig so it can at least be pleasant.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't fix it for me. From the PCVR thread:

OK, just tried the new Nvidia driver with my 3070 and Quest 2.

Playing Alyx in both Link and VD has reduced stuttering, but it is unfortunately still there. I'd say this eliminated about 75% of the stutter, but it is definitely still happening. It seems to happen randomly as well. Like I'll walk through a section and it will be smooth for a good 10 seconds of translation forward (which never happened before the patch, it would consistently stutter every 1-2 seconds), then turn around walk back through that section and it will start stuttering just like it did before the fix every 1-2 seconds.

It's really bizarre.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is "hardware monitoring software", like RTSS?
I have noticed some stuttering in VR, but that's a more recent thing than the problem this is fixing.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't fix it for me. From the PCVR thread:

OK, just tried the new Nvidia driver with my 3070 and Quest 2.

Playing Alyx in both Link and VD has reduced stuttering, but it is unfortunately still there. I'd say this eliminated about 75% of the stutter, but it is definitely still happening. It seems to happen randomly as well. Like I'll walk through a section and it will be smooth for a good 10 seconds of translation forward (which never happened before the patch, it would consistently stutter every 1-2 seconds), then turn around walk back through that section and it will start stuttering just like it did before the fix every 1-2 seconds.

It's really bizarre.
Wonder if Fix #2 will just eliminate the other 25% for you.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
This driver broke Trails of Cold Steel for me again lol. No idea why this game randomly has issues with certain nvidia drivers

rare

Oct 25, 2017
are you fucking serious
i thought it was just an issue with the quest link so i sold my fucking quest because i figured a index would work better
god damn it

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Went back to Alyx with 3070 and Index after installing the new drivers.

No noticeable difference, but then again, I couldn't detect any stutter previous to the patch.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with multiple monitors getting a weird issue on these drivers where in Exclusive Fullscreen mode, Alt-Tabbing can cause the 2nd+ screen(s) (Any monitor that isn't part of the Exclusive Fullscreen) to start "unscanning" slowly from the top? I've had it happen twice now, first with Minecraft (Java) and now with Doom Eternal. Moved back to Borderless Windowed, G-Sync be damned, just to not see this happen because it creeps me out as hell.

Using a 3090, in any case.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
wait. is this the thing that completely fixes the stutttering using the link cable?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Well I decided to switch back to the stable Game Ready drivers - Way too much odd behavior on this Hotfix version, like, shit that genuinely spooked me when it happened.