• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Glad I returned my Denon 4700. It sounded great, but there were too many HDMI issues for me to accept.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a source for this model in particular? I'm not doubting you. I've preordered this model so need to find out whether to cancel.

It's ridiculous that they can't get this right.

Well the original article cites Yamaha being affected and Yamaha only has two receivers that were to be supported with HDMI 2.1 through firmware updates. Both of those receivers are in the same family line so it's extremely likely both are using the same chip rather than each one using a different chip. So adding everything up, that receiver is most likely affected by the bug. I think there's very little chance it's not.

I have the rx-v4a, 3080, and LG C9. Maybe there will be the recall or something for the receiver.

I would hope so because that sucks that they marketed as such but hell they probably expected the chip to work as promised. Panasonic really fucked up here. In the future though, I think people should be weary of promised functionality in an upcoming firmware update. You never know how it's going to turn out. There's already limitations in Sony's firmware update for the X900H that one might not have realized beforehand so one must be careful with the gotchas that come from unreleased features being promised.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Receiver companies don't care about video technology and TV companies don't care about sound technology and wanting both has been a headache ever since PS3/360.
Yep. I went a decade with the same Pioneer AVR with no problems until the 360/PS3/Wii generation. Now I'm on my third AVR over the last two console generations and it's looking like I'll be getting another soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Well that is annoying, but since my C9 has HDMI 2.1, I will just throw my PC, PS5 and Series X directly to the TV and passthrough audio through Arc. I like having minimal cables to the TV itself so it's not the ideal set up I want but whatever.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I went a decade with the same Pioneer AVR with no problems until the 360/PS3/Wii generation. Now I'm on my third AVR over the last two console generations and it's looking like I'll be getting another soon.

Yikes, I guess I got lucky by getting my Pioneer AVR in the middle of that generation. It has lasted me since then and is over 12 years old now. Only reason I'm looking at an upgrade is because of HDMI 2.1.

I wonder if this bug will occur at 1080/120Hz, because that's ultimately what my TV supports anyway.
Pretty lame regardless, but I can't go without a receiver rn lol

I don't think so since it sounds like it's only for higher bandwidth utilization so 1080p/120 wouldn't fall under that. You're probably fine, but could get burned in the future should you ever upgrade.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know HDMI 2.1 receivers were available.

Very few are out. Denon and Marantz have receivers but they only have one HDMI 2.1 port on it. Yamaha has two with promised firmware updates that should have more than one port, but they look to be hit with this bug too. Pretty much all current receivers are broken from the sound of it with Sony and Pioneer's upcoming models will be broken too since they're also using this chip. Situation is pretty screwed.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
will this all work with ShARC and a normal Denon receiver that only does 4k hdr but audio is only used for it because of sharc

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
So in theory, running audio through eARC to get surround sound while connecting the video of devices directly to the HDMI 2.1 ports of the display should avoid this problem, right? Perhaps this was already tested.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
will this all work with ShARC and a normal Denon receiver that only does 4k hdr but audio is only used for it because of sharc

ShARC isn't affected by this because you're bypassing the need for HDMI 2.1 and having devices hooked up to the receiver and then going to the TV. With ShARC you're going to the TV and then just sending the audio to the receiver.

So in theory, running audio through eARC to get surround sound while connecting the video of devices directly to the HDMI 2.1 ports of the display should avoid this problem, right? Perhaps this was already tested.

Yes, but be careful. In cases like the LG CX, you can't use DTS/DTS HD-MA/DTS:X over eARC.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Yamaha's Phil Shea on Daily HiFi Podcast said HDMI 2.1 features have been designed in to it's new line of receivers (new RX range) but they can't release the firmware until December because of HDMI working group delays. The 'testing standard' has (as of 29th September 2020) not been finanlised yet so it can't be certified.

So, would this firmware update in December fix any issues?

I have the rx-v4a, 3080, and LG C9. Maybe there will be the recall or something for the receiver.
How did you get Yamaha RX-V4A? I want one but it's not released until mid-November!

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Yamaha's Phil Shea on Daily HiFi Podcast said HDMI 2.1 features have been designed in to it's new line of receivers (new RX range) but they can't release the firmware until December because of HDMI working group delays. The 'testing standard' has (as of 29th September 2020) not been finanlised yet so it can't be certified.

So, would this firmware update in December fix any issues?

How did you get Yamaha RX-V4A? I want one but it's not released until mid-November!

Amazon US has had them for weeks.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
If things had been handled better, they wouldn't need a bunch of different devices to test with. That is kind of the main point of having the HDMI standard. If your device passes the standard compliance tests, it should work with other compliant devices.

These compatibility issues are just another sign of the mess that the HDMI Forum made of HDMI 2.1, with the extended delays in finalizing the spec / compliance tests, as well as allowing too many features to be optional making it hard to test all combinations.
seriously

why are both hdmi and usb such a fucking mess

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
ShARC isn't affected by this because you're bypassing the need for HDMI 2.1 and having devices hooked up to the receiver and then going to the TV. With ShARC you're going to the TV and then just sending the audio to the receiver.

Yes, but be careful. In cases like the LG CX, you can't use DTS/DTS HD-MA/DTS:X over eARC.
i get lossless audio with sharc and my lg cx but noticed it doesnt pass dts but tbh I havent tried a dts track.

Also I can get Dolby Atmos on my apple tv device passed through sharc but using the lg apple tv app (or disney plus app) i only get dolby digital for some reason?

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
wow, I was very close on pulling the trigger on the Yamaha RX-V6A. If this in fact is a hardware defect, then yeah I'll stay clear until something else releases next year.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
i get lossless audio with sharc and my lg cx but noticed it doesnt pass dts but tbh I havent tried a dts track.

Also I can get Dolby Atmos on my apple tv device passed through sharc but using the lg apple tv app (or disney plus app) i only get dolby digital for some reason?

LG dropped DTS support on the CX compared to the C9. So that's why DTS audio isn't supported over ARC/eARC and why it won't work with ShARC. It's one of the things I don't like about the LG OLED and why I'm looking at Sony's OLED.

As for your apps, I believe some TV apps are limited and don't support Atmos over them. Atmos isn't always universally supported on all apps for a service despite the service offering support.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Yep.

Are there any formats that do not survive eARC on a good TV? I'm almost thinking when I move to a better TV next year with 2.1, to just let eARC pass audio to the current receiver and not replace it. I am down to a 5.1 setup anyway.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any formats that do not survive eARC on a good TV? I'm almost thinking when I move to a better TV next year with 2.1, to just let eARC pass audio to the current receiver and not replace it. I am down to a 5.1 setup anyway.

LG dropped all DTS support from the CX models and that's considered the gold standard as the TV to get. So the answer is yes there are audio formats that don't survive eARC on a good TV.

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
This is all proper fucked. First we are pushed to adopt a single cable to pass both audio and video. Only one cable! Less clutter! Sounds great. Just send a single cable from each device to an AVR, and one cable up to the TV. Then they started improving/adding video standards and the AVRs had to keep up. And we have bullshit like the topic of this thread. Reasonable people said, why should we be forced to upgrade the device whose primary function is audio to get support for video related specifications? Enter ARC and eARC. Great idea! Now the AVR doesn't need to care about video. Just connect a single cable from each device to your TV, and then have a one cable to your AVR to pass the audio.

Now we have this nonsense with the CX not passing DTS encoding. Maybe that single cable thing isn't the best way to go...

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Between this and tvs not handling full feature sets at the same time properly i.e. VRR , freesync DV and HDR and 120hz is why I'm waiting till early next year at least to buy new AVR and TV. Stop the fomo just did some videos on some of this stuff.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
According to the OP, it's a hardware bug that can't be fixed with firmware.
OK...just a couple of things.

On the AVSForum one member states this - https://www.avsforum.com/threads/20...d-rx-v4a-owner’s-thread.3170749/post-60191871
A Reddit report that generalises a test from a German magazine wouldn't be much cause for concern.
Remember folk - the HDMI organization has stated that the testing certification for HDMI 2.1 TX/RX chipsets used in AVR's will only be released to manufacturers in DECEMBER!
Of course the Denon amp tested by the magazine won't work... there's no official test yet - COVID is slowing everything down.
I know that Yamaha states 4K/120 + 8K will be available via firmware update - which obviously will arrive some time after December (ideally when it's ready, not just when the marketing teams think it's okay).
I don't know what D+M's stance is, but I'm sure it's similar.

Effectively the German magazine has jumped the gun with testing something that was never said to be functioning by this point in time.
HOWEVER, it will get them a lot of clicks on their website, so I guess that's pretty important!!!

Any credence to this perspective i.e. actually it's OK right now because factually components can't actually deliver the performance tested?

Also, I'm getting a PS5 but still no word...but there wouldn't be if the standards aren't ready.

Amazon US has had them for weeks.
Ah...in the UK it's not available yet. I hope it's before PS5's release because I need a new receiver in time else audio might be an issue.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
I figured it would be wise to wait until HDMI 2.1 devices were widely available before jumping into buying a tv or receiver.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
My 10 year old receiver needs an upgrade, but now I'm glad I didn't splurge now.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll have yo wait for next year's NR series from Marantz. I can never go back to a full height receiver anyway, and I really need 2.1 stuff in the device.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's gonna be a bit weird but I'm definitely sitting out changing my AVR until newer ranges come out. Meanwhile, I'll be relying on ARC.

There's been signals for a while that the industry was having difficulties integrating HDMI 2.1, so I'd rather see how this turns out for people before jumping in.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit sceptical how a magazine would know that 1) it's a hardware issue and 2) it's not fixable via firmware. Both of these statements would require a lot of insight into both the hardware and software of the chip.

A much simpler explanation is that since the standard hasn't progressed to the point that certification is available, they also simple don't support such content in the firmware.

Last edited:

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
Glad i'm hearing about this now, since I was already looking into which one to upgrade to.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
We might not have a full ironed out hardware fix/solution until 2022.

Supposedly, these Panasonic 2.1 chips can only accept/pass through a compressed signal. A firmware update won't work because the chip isn't capable of accepting a decompressed signal that the Series X, PS5, Nvidia uses.

youtu.be

Broken HDMI 2.1: Next Gen Gaming Confounds Denon Marantz & Yamaha

HDMI 2.1 is broken: the wrong 2.1 chip on your AVR disables 4K120 on PS5, Xbox Series X and RTX 3000. How did Denon, Marantz & Yamaha choose the wrong chip, ...

Last edited:

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Why does the 2.1 rollout feel like a dumpster fire. It feels like the tech isn't really ready.

This is HDR all over again. Looking forever to the inevitable marketing-speak on 2021 receivers and TV's as implementation quality varies.

HDMI 2.1 Compatible
Effective HDMI 2.1
Dynamic HDMI 2.1
Active HDMI 2.1
Full HDMI 2.1***
***On HDMI Port #1 only

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

can seemingly pass every format I try through a C9.