• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on this instead of something cheaper like the X900H. I know this is an amazing TV, and I know I can afford it, but it's still tough for me.

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I was able to get one of these things more easily right now..... Can't help but notice a lot of people in this thread are upgrading from LCD sets , are there any of ya'll that went from a plasma to OLED ? I feel like the picture quality jump might not be as big.
FWIW, I went from one of the better plasmas produced (Panasonic VT series) to a B7 a few years ago, and the difference in picture quality was highly noticeable.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I wish I was able to get one of these things more easily right now..... Can't help but notice a lot of people in this thread are upgrading from LCD sets , are there any of ya'll that went from a plasma to OLED ? I feel like the picture quality jump might not be as big.

I upgraded from a 10 year old Panasonic Plasma and I found the jump in quality to be pretty noticeable. At 1080p SDR, it's like "yeah okay, it looks very similar," but once you get that HDR and higher resolutions it's a whole new world.

chidrock

Oct 26, 2017
I upgraded from a 10 year old Panasonic Plasma and I found the jump in quality to be pretty noticeable. At 1080p SDR, it's like "yeah okay, it looks very similar," but once you get that HDR and higher resolutions it's a whole new world.

I'm thinking of making this jump too. I love my Panasonic VT25 but I'm tempted by the thought of HDR and a bigger size (my plasma is 58"). I thought I would be fine and held off despite having a 1X and the PS4 Pro, but I have to go pick up my Series X tonight and I think I've caught the upgrade bug.

If I do make the jump, I'm stuck between getting a 65" CX or a 75" Sony x900h. I know there are some issues with the X900 right now, but I thought I heard the CX has some sort of gamma issues too.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I'm thinking of making this jump too. I love my Panasonic VT25 but I'm tempted by the thought of HDR and a bigger size (my plasma is 58"). I thought I would be fine and held off despite having a 1X and the PS4 Pro, but I have to go pick up my Series X tonight and I think I've caught the upgrade bug.

If I do make the jump, I'm stuck between getting a 65" CX or a 75" Sony x900h. I know there are some issues with the X900 right now, but I thought I heard the CX has some sort of gamma issues too.
The CX picture is astonishing. I cannot believe that it's the best television picture I have ever seen. Just wow.

Mar 8, 2020
Washington State
Is Outlook down for anyone? Of course, mine is freezing and that is where best buy is sending the ready to pick up TV email. I hate 2020 lol

Edit. So, it seems because my current email is different from the email I used waaaay back when setting up my Xbox account, Iphone has a conflict. Got it sorted. Sorry for the post.

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
Finally bit the bullet and now have the 77-inch being delivered next week. Replacing a 42-inch Panasonic 720p plasma.

Looking forward to having my retinas blown away.

Mar 8, 2020
Washington State
Sitting in pickup spot for best buy to bring out my new OLED. I think I'm more excited for the TV than I was for the XSX. First time doing curbside like this, too. Kind of nice just pulling up and clicking "I'm here". No walking and going into store with chin diaper wearers. Heated seat a bonus.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe one day we'll get some good OLED TVs at sub 1k price. These are too expensive for me. I'll keep rocking my TCL.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I went from arguably the best plasma TV ever made (9th Gen Pioneer Kuro) to the CX. The biggest difference between the two is the contrast. The Kuro's black levels were incredible and it's why it was regarded so highly, so the deep inky blacks on the CX are not as impressive to me only because I've been seeing similar blacks for the past ten years or so, but it's the brightness in contrast to the blacks that make the TV pop much more so than the Kuro ever did. On top of that, add in 4K and HDR, and you're getting some serious improvements to overall picture quality. I think the Kuro might handle motion better, at least for sub 60FPS content. I already gave the Kuro away so I can't do side by side comparison, but I feel like the Kuro kept its detail better when thing's were in motion. It's not a huge difference, but the way plasma's handled motion were always one its biggest strengths and I'm not sure the CX is quite at its level, unless you turn on Black Frame Insertion (which is useless since it dims the picture too much to actually use).

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I went from arguably the best plasma TV ever made (9th Gen Pioneer Kuro) to the CX. The biggest difference between the two is the contrast. The Kuro's black levels were incredible and it's why it was regarded so highly, so the deep inky blacks on the CX are not as impressive to me only because I've been seeing similar blacks for the past ten years or so, but it's the brightness in contrast to the blacks that make the TV pop much more so than the Kuro ever did. On top of that, add in 4K and HDR, and you're getting some serious improvements to overall picture quality. I think the Kuro might handle motion better, at least for sub 60FPS content. I already gave the Kuro away so I can't do side by side comparison, but I feel like the Kuro kept its detail better when thing's were in motion. It's not a huge difference, but the way plasma's handled motion were always one its biggest strengths and I'm not sure the CX is quite at its level, unless you turn on Black Frame Insertion (which is useless since it dims the picture too much to actually use).

Thanks for the comment man, I've been using a panasonic ST50 55 since 2012 and ... despite wanting this CX real bad I waffled for too long and saved my money. During this contemplative period , I spent a few days not using my home theater much and then ended up watching a movie and some netflix/playing some games and realized it's still a great looking TV with nothing wrong with it so I guess I was looking for confirmation that , while the CX is a great 4K HDR TV , it might not necessarily blow what I have out of the water. I think the thing that bugs me the most is still that 3D could be enabled with a flick of a switch but it's not there, I quite like my 3D blurays still (even if it's pretty much dead at this point in north america).

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
So I pulled the plug twice on this - ordered and cancelled, order and cancelled.

I'm just going to wait another year despite really wanting it. I can't justify spending the ~$2k if the VRR is never going to be able to be fixed and next year's model likely won't have any issues.

Even if VRR isn't a big thing this gen (and I think it will be something, just not big), by the Pro refresh and certainly by next gen, VRR will be, and I won't want to have to replace the TV quite that fast - I'd like to get around 10 years out of it, so I'd like it to be good into next gen.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Well, finally got a price back on my settlement for my E6. They are going to give me $2000, so that's going to go towards a new CX65.

I'm purchasing from Value Electronics, which I did with the E6. Reason I like them is they offer calibration and QC (for 150-200 hours as that's when it's most likely to pick up dead pixels/see if there's banding/etc.) before sending it out. If anything goes wrong in that period of time, they will do it again until the TV looks good. You do have to pay extra for it, probably not worth it for many here. But I like it as it prevents me from playing the panel lottery.

Only thing I'm concerned about is I'm on the 3rd floor in a condo building. Not sure what they will offer for delivery upstairs or set-up. I'm reading on here how much a pain the CX is to set up (attach to base/flip it up). I'm hoping there will be some white glove option. Willing to pay more.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So I pulled the plug twice on this - ordered and cancelled, order and cancelled.

I'm just going to wait another year despite really wanting it. I can't justify spending the ~$2k if the VRR is never going to be able to be fixed and next year's model likely won't have any issues.

Even if VRR isn't a big thing this gen (and I think it will be something, just not big), by the Pro refresh and certainly by next gen, VRR will be, and I won't want to have to replace the TV quite that fast - I'd like to get around 10 years out of it, so I'd like it to be good into next gen.
That's where I am too, I've almost bought the 48" numerous times.

I want it as a monitor now but I'll be upgrading my PC in a year or so to extremely powerful GPUs, and 4K/120 VRR being borked with a "maybe we can fix it" on this year's models is a non-starter. I too might as well just wait until next year's models, which will come even more feature rich.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the comment man, I've been using a panasonic ST50 55 since 2012 and ... despite wanting this CX real bad I waffled for too long and saved my money. During this contemplative period , I spent a few days not using my home theater much and then ended up watching a movie and some netflix/playing some games and realized it's still a great looking TV with nothing wrong with it so I guess I was looking for confirmation that , while the CX is a great 4K HDR TV , it might not necessarily blow what I have out of the water. I think the thing that bugs me the most is still that 3D could be enabled with a flick of a switch but it's not there, I quite like my 3D blurays still (even if it's pretty much dead at this point in north america).
If you have the money, I'd say go for it. It's a great deal at these prices. The picture is pretty darn great and I don't think you'd be disappointed. When it's being used to its maximum protentional, at 4K and HDR, the picture is a significant upgrade over my plasma. Even at 1080p SDR, you still get the deep blacks you'd expect from your plasma but also colors that pop quite a bit more, especially since your plasma is from 2012, (which has probably dimmed over time). My biggest concern prior to getting the TV was actually 1080p content but I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the 1080p image holds up.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
That's where I am too, I've almost bought the 48" numerous times.

I want it as a monitor now but I'll be upgrading my PC in a year or so to extremely powerful GPUs, and 4K/120 VRR being borked with a "maybe we can fix it" on this year's models is a non-starter. I too might as well just wait until next year's models, which will come even more feature rich.

It's not "maybe we can fix it" the videos I've seen are basically concluding a fix is not going to be possible - without new hardware / next year's model. Was ok with the problem if it were going to eventually probably get fixed, but what I've gathered from numerous articles/videos is they will not be able to get it working properly, and that actually no HDTV on the market is able to do VRR perfectly yet at 4k, so next year it is.

And also the CX is basically identical to the C9 in every aspect (arguably worse overall) - so I have a feeling if you consider they didn't make any real forward motion from the C9, the C11 or whatever 2 years down the road will be more likely to sport actual improvements - like working VRR.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, loving my CX atm but the audio is meh and I think its time I invest in a soundbar. with that said, the damn mount for the tv has the tv sitting so low which will be a problem. I am trying to find a good heavy duty Riser or something to put the tv on that won't break due to the sheer weight of the mount for the 65 inch. Anyone have any suggestions for ones that can hold this heavy sonofa....?

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Day 2 of this tv and the WiFi system broke. Just dropped connection and now I can't find any signals. This seems to be a common issues with LG. Going to throw a fit if I can't get this to work. Also the wii mote motion control function has stopped working. Only new thing near the tv is my series x and my astro a50

And I requested a repair. So not even a day old and the WiFi/Bluetooth module blew. Everything i read points to that being the issue and its common all over the place. I don't even know if I just want to return this thing. Something so expensive shouldn't break so easily. Hopefully LG calls me tomorrow and sends someone asap, if not I'm going to ask amazon to return it.

Last edited:

xXJonoXx

Jun 17, 2018
So, loving my CX atm but the audio is meh and I think its time I invest in a soundbar. with that said, the damn mount for the tv has the tv sitting so low which will be a problem. I am trying to find a good heavy duty Riser or something to put the tv on that won't break due to the sheer weight of the mount for the 65 inch. Anyone have any suggestions for ones that can hold this heavy sonofa....?

I am in the same boat. I got the 65" on Sunday. Amazing TV but I find the audio to be lacking especially for movies. I would also love a recommendation for an affordable soundbar/sound system under $500.

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
When should we expect greento to restock cx 77 at $3300? I really dont want to do best buy and spend extra $500 :(

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hearing about HDMI 2.1 issues with these(and many other sets) and the new consoles, I'm gonna hold off on a "high end" pricey 4k TV until next year and look for a cheap TCL or Hisense in the meantime.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe one day we'll get some good OLED TVs at sub 1k price. These are too expensive for me. I'll keep rocking my TCL.
This one was $899 yesterday (at least) at Best Buy for members...

...image quality is supposedly really good and some quirks have been worked out with firmware updates. I've seen some folks saying it was still available at that price point when you added it to your cart. I'm picking mine up on Saturday so we'll see if it was worth it.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Hearing about HDMI 2.1 issues with these(and many other sets) and the new consoles, I'm gonna hold off on a "high end" pricey 4k TV until next year and look for a cheap TCL or Hisense in the meantime.

My 55" B9 was updated yesterday and I have just finished testing my RTX 3070. 4K HDR @ 120fps .... zero issues.

gsync worked a treat also.

Seriously great TV's.

VRR and other issues on XSX and PS5 will be resolved, its early days but you can relax knowing the TV and the console you choose have the ability and things will be sorted. Long life span these consoles and nothing is ever 100% on day 1.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
People, make sure to test all of your HDMI inputs. Because today I just confirmed that my HDMI 1 port is fucked. It would not accept a 120 HZ at 4k from my PC or xbox series x. The latter just have the screen and audio flicker on and off. The problem goes away when I switch to another port. Since I bought this thing from Amazon, it will be a pain in the butt to return now. Ugh.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Got the TV, a series X, and a PS5 on the way.

Does anyone have some settings that will really make this thing pop?

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area

This is me. I've had Panasonic plasma since 2011 and I've been looking at these LG TVs for a couple years during black friday but never jump on it.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Got the TV, a series X, and a PS5 on the way.

Does anyone have some settings that will really make this thing pop?

In the Series X Settings dashboard there's a step by step video setup that explains how to optimize your settings and has several HDR-specific contrast/brightness tests in it. I'd definitely recommend running through that on the HDMI port that you use your Series X on.

chidrock

Oct 26, 2017
I know I will get a biased answer on this thread, but are the blacks/shadows overbearing on this tv? In other words, does it take away from the other colors?

That is one thing I didn't like about gaming on my plasma. It always felt like the screen was darker/muted because the blacks were so strong.

I went to see this and the x900h last night in the store and that's the feel I got from the CX. I just didn't know if that was due to the store settings or if that is something you won't really be able to get away from.

Mar 8, 2020
Washington State
After avoiding the wife's wrath, spending all evening unmounting the ks8000 from the bedroom and switching it out with the TV in living room and getting the CX mounted, along with setting up the XSX, I had just enough energy to turn it all on and calibrate it.

Holy crap, this TV looks so good. The ks8000 had a good picture but this TV is on another level. Set the XSX to download a bunch of games of GP. Wife has room for work today but it's all mine at 430. I don't see a lot of sleep in my future. So glad I bit the bullet and got this TV. Can't wait to put in a 4k movie and see how it looks.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I am loving my new CX. Now I need to get a sound system receiver that will get the most out of its features. Does anyone have one they would recommend?

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am loving my new CX. Now I need to get a sound system receiver that will get the most out of its features. Does anyone have one they would recommend?
I'd wait on that if you plan to use next gen systems due to all the issues I keep hearing about with HDMI 2.1. If you just want surround sound though ... hrmm , you could claim that free sound box thing shared in this thread maybe ?

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I know I will get a biased answer on this thread, but are the blacks/shadows overbearing on this tv? In other words, does it take away from the other colors?

That is one thing I didn't like about gaming on my plasma. It always felt like the screen was darker/muted because the blacks were so strong.

I went to see this and the x900h last night in the store and that's the feel I got from the CX. I just didn't know if that was due to the store settings or if that is something you won't really be able to get away from.
I upgraded from a plasma to the CX and the CX is significantly brighter and the colors pop more compared to my plasma. The big advantage the CX has over plasma is the contrast. So not only do you get the deep dark blacks, you get bright whites and rich colors to go with it. You also have to factor in your viewing environment (how dim/bright it is) and which kind of content you're watching (HDR vs SDR). It's hard to give a definitive answer because of this (and your personal preference), but I have no complaints as far as brightness or colors not feeling vivid enough (I'm using the settings in the official LG OLED thread). I'd imagine the store settings are not the best for determining picture quality. That being said, LED's will inherently have a higher peak brightness

chidrock

Oct 26, 2017
I upgraded from a plasma to the CX and the CX is significantly brighter and the colors pop more compared to my plasma. The big advantage the CX has over plasma is the contrast. So not only do you get the deep dark blacks, you get bright whites and rich colors to go with it. You also have to factor in your viewing environment (how dim/bright it is) and which kind of content you're watching (HDR vs SDR). It's hard to give a definitive answer because of this (and your personal preference), but I have no complaints as far as brightness or colors not feeling vivid enough (I'm using the settings in the official LG OLED thread). I'd imagine the store settings are not the best for determining picture quality. That being said, LED's will inherently have a higher peak brightness

Thanks; I had noticed some reviews mentioned that the details in shadows could be lost and was wondering how bad it could be. I knew the store settings would exaggerate it a bit and I am also going to be playing in a dark room.

It also didn't help seeing the way the colors pop on the Sony x900 next to it.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
The CX might be in range for me depending on how these next two weeks go...we'll see
Pairing the CX with the PS5 might be two jumps for me in one coming from a 1080P Samsung lol

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
This. I pulled the trigger and I'm still questioning if I made the right choice. A 85" Sony sounds legit amazing in my living room. Especially for $1500 less.

Mine arrives on Thursday.

I'd rather have a 65" OLED than an 85" anything else, honestly. OLED is that much of a game-changer for me. I hate to be a snob, but it's hard watching TV on anything else anymore.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'd rather have a 65" OLED than an 85" anything else, honestly. OLED is that much of a game-changer for me. I hate to be a snob, but it's hard watching TV on anything else anymore.
Yeah. I'm increasingly leaning towards just sticking with the CX. The picture quality at night, when we usually watch TV, needs to be excellent. For that, I don't think anything can top OLED. Just wish there was a 85" OLED.