• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I just set mine up, my gf was super scared of how thin the screen was and how heavy the base was. I havent done any settings stuff yet.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
I just set mine up, my gf was super scared of how thin the screen was and how heavy the base was. I havent done any settings stuff yet.

Yeah, I stopped for a minute and looked all around to see what was the best way to handle this..I was alone to setup the 48". I held my breathe all the way to the desk carrying it loll

Oct 27, 2017
I think you are good if you plan on keeping it only for 2 years. I plan on keeping this for 5 years or more. Basically it will become my secondary TV at that point. So, got the warranty.

thanks I'll probably keep it longer. My main concern is I live alone and I'll need to figure out how to get it out of the box and on the stand without breaking it. I may add installation

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
thanks I'll probably keep it longer. My main concern is I live alone and I'll need to figure out how to get it out of the box and on the stand without breaking it. I may add installation
If you are getting the 65", it's doable on your own. Will be a bit tricky but you can. That is if you are not wall mounting.

I used a daybed in my living room and lay the tv on it, with the bottom part hanging out to attach the stand. Moved my table( where the TV would sit), next to it and pushed the tv onto it from the other side of the bed. Was really careful not to bend or touch the screen.

Oct 27, 2017
If you are getting the 65", it's doable on your own. Will be a bit tricky but you can. That is if you are not wall mounting.

I used a daybed in my living room and lay the tv on it, with the bottom part hanging out to attach the stand. Moved my table( where the TV would sit), next to it and pushed the tv onto it from the other side of the bed. Was really careful not to bend or touch the screen.

that seems stressful as shit given how expensive this TV is. For like $50 I can get help doing it

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
that seems stressful as shit given how expensive this TV is. For like $50 I can get help doing it
Yup. I was excited to get the TV working. I had bought it home over the weekend and wanted it running as quickly as possible. Even used an Uber to get it home instead of waiting for a friend to help me out the next day.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017

I've set up a Samsung 65" on my own, hell no was I going to set this LG 65" on my own, I was way too scared to attempt it alone. I had to wait for my gf to get home late to set it up.

Well, one plus of having a TCL roku tv is all the apps you can add. They really need to have all apps accessible especially on a high end TV like this.

Dec 4, 2018
I came close to buying the CX 65" OLED. Best Buy is offering 24 months no interest financing on the TV.

Thing is my KS8000 49" is still going strong and I can easily see myself gaming on this TV with the PS5 and XSX. I tried playing around with the idea of donating my TV to an LGBTQ+ as they would make use of the TV. It's just feels wrong getting rid of an awesome TV. Media looks fantastic on the TV. The only thing missing is the perfect blacks but that hasn't been a problem. HDR looks fantastic on the TV.

I did buy the LG sound bar (SN9GY 5.1.2) and it's awesome. Definitely felt the upgrade from my KS8000 speakers (which very good on their own.)

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
I came close to buying the CX 65" OLED. Best Buy is offering 24 months no interest financing on the TV.

Thing is my KS8000 49" is still going strong and I can easily see myself gaming on this TV with the PS5 and XSX. I tried playing around with the idea of donating my TV to an LGBTQ+ as they would make use of the TV. It's just feels wrong getting rid of an awesome TV. Media looks fantastic on the TV. The only thing missing is the perfect blacks but that hasn't been a problem. HDR looks fantastic on the TV.

I did buy the LG sound bar (SN9GY 5.1.2) and it's awesome. Definitely felt the upgrade from my KS8000 speakers (which very good on their own.)
Yeah, LG CX is great but you don't need to buy something out of fomo. Next year will definitely have even better TVs and with better 2.1 support. Unless you are making a big jump, there is no hurry.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
How is grey uniformity on the CX? I remember exchanging my C8 once to get one that had less banding.

still a lottery for banding and tint.

It's only going to get significantly lower, Vizio has entered the OLED market, prices are going to drop considerably for all the panels now...

people thinking it's going to follow the prices of the C9 are dead wrong because last year there was no Vizio to compete with

It might help lower them some but the Sony/LG models are in another league vs. Vizio. Just because they sell an OLED panel doesn't make it a good tv. You need good hardware and processing...something Vizio is not good at. Sony is still PQ king but LG has closed the gap so much it's not worth spending the extra dollars on Sony. And let's not forget, Vizio is meant to be low end tv seller as a cheaper alternative. With TVs, you get what you pay for PQ wise.

Another point I'll mention is that LG does rate the panels off the production line...so where do you think they send the lower rated panels? The worst go to Vizio and the B series.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It might help lower them some but the Sony/LG models are in another league vs. Vizio. Just because they sell an OLED panel doesn't make it a good tv. You need good hardware and processing...something Vizio is not good at. Sony is still PQ king but LG has closed the gap so much it's not worth spending the extra dollars on Sony. And let's not forget, Vizio is meant to be low end tv seller as a cheaper alternative. With TVs, you get what you pay for PQ wise.

Another point I'll mention is that LG does rate the panels off the production line...so where do you think they send the lower rated panels? The worst go to Vizio and the B series.

I definitely agree the LG is a class above in quality, but ultimately the market is going to bring the price down. Just like when Vizio enter the LCD market and brought the prices down for everything including the top tier models

I was going to pick up the LGCX 55 during the sale, but I think I might wait around a little bit more and see how much the price drops over the next couple months

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Popping into this thread to say a few things as a previous B7A and current C9 owner
- Burn-in is not something I ever experienced.
- Be aware that people who complain online are a minority, most people with happy TVs don't get online to complain on forums.
- OLED is so beautiful and so worth it, for gaming and movies, I literally just want to rewatch content on it all day if I could.
- I have a 65" in a 573 sq ft condo. No it is not too big. It's just immersive and beautiful. Go as big as you can afford, you will get used to the size and won't regret it.

lol yeah. I've literally had NO interest in watching movies and TV shows (that weren't half hour comedies) this entire pandemic and yet in the last 2 weeks of owning a CX I've rewatched The Mandalorian, The Witcher, some of The Boys and a bunch of other 4K HDR/Dolbyvision content JUST because of how beautiful it all is compared to my other, cheaper set.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Vizio might not alter it much but since Samsung are planning to launch their QD-OLED range next year that will shake up the price. Theyre supposedly going to cost a quarter to produce, the quantum dot matrix will probably mean a better picture overall, not to mention being able to help with the blue drain issue via the QD matrix

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I've been pretty tempted to jump in, but the 65" is still a little beyond my price range. My credit card doesn't even go that high. I've been pretty happy with my Vizio P50-C1. It's a damn good TV... but it's showing its age a bit. I might wait until next year to see what happens with tech, but I doubt I'll be able to afford 2021 TVs either.

Just not sure the CX is a big upgrade from what I have currently.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Joined the 55" CX club for delivery on Monday, folks. PS5 comes next week from Target.

So excited! Found a buyer for my old 58" LED Samsung yesterday in my apartment.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
www.rtings.com

TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science

Our TV Sizes to Distance Calculator helps you choose the right size TV for your space. The optimal viewing distance is about 1.6 times the diagonal length of the television. For example, for a 55” TV, the best distance is 7 feet.

I really think that 65 inch is the sweet spot in most cases. That's why it's important that we now have OLEDs hitting under $2K with Vizio leading the way.

Someone needs to show this to game developers. I'm supposed to sit 10 feet away from my TV, but they won't stop including tiny subtitles. In reality I sit like 6-7 feet away form my 65 inch. I do have poor eyesight, though.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sit 6ft away from a 42" TV, I think upgrading to the 55" should be good. I can't imagine getting the 65 without it looking gigantic

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Next week is going to be soo good!
65" cx comes Monday
Xbox on Tuesday
Ps5 on Thursday

So glad to be working from home

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
PSA : the 65CX is sold out at Best Buy Canada (online and Quebec stores at least, might be a box somewhere else). I went into a store and they don't even plan to receive anymore by Black Friday. I figure they dropped the price to get sales but made sure their inventory was limited.
I changed my strategy from waiting for Black Friday to hunting one down at a BB competitor that competed with the sales, I'm going after work to pick one up.

May 30, 2018
apologies if this has been posted before, but is there a de-facto guide to getting this out of the box and setting it up on its stand? my 65 inch was delivered this morning and i have a buddy coming over around noon. hoping to get it all set up in under an hour (ideally 15-20 mins) so he can be on his way.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
apologies if this has been posted before, but is there a de-facto guide to getting this out of the box and setting it up on its stand? my 65 inch was delivered this morning and i have a buddy coming over around noon. hoping to get it all set up in under an hour (ideally 15-20 mins) so he can be on his way.
What we did:

- cut ties, pull up box
- remove foam, remove stand parts and screw the 2 stand parts together (they kind of snap together before using the 3 screws to screw them together)
- lay TV face down on box and attach and screw base stand using the 4 remaining screws
- get TV back upright to carry and put in place
- removed the plastic film from the front and back

Getting it back upright after attaching the stand to the TV was the hardest part because I was kind of scared that I might damage the screen with how heavy the bottom part is. Maybe it was safe to just simply lift it back up but what we did is we ended up just gently tilting the box until I got the TV up standing again (still had the white covering over it to protect the screen)

I've been pretty tempted to jump in, but the 65" is still a little beyond my price range. My credit card doesn't even go that high. I've been pretty happy with my Vizio P50-C1. It's a damn good TV... but it's showing its age a bit. I might wait until next year to see what happens with tech, but I doubt I'll be able to afford 2021 TVs either.

Just not sure the CX is a big upgrade from what I have currently.
I'll be honest: if this TV was even a little above my price range, I would have just stuck with my Samsung KS9000. The tech is nice, the black levels are the real deal, but my old TV can still somewhat compare with 4k HDR content. Plus, I can't even use some of the newer tech at the moment without probably spending more. No console VRR or instant game mode (allm) for now because I still have everything connected to my non- hdmi 2.1, non-earc receiver, and I can't use gsync because my 1080 Ti doesn't support it over HDMI. No 4k 120 HZ too because again, I still have old hardware

Last edited:
May 30, 2018
What we did:

- cut ties, pull up box
- remove foam, remove stand parts and screw the 2 stand parts together (they kind of snap together before using the 3 screws to screw them together)
- lay TV face down on box and attach and screw base stand using the 4 remaining screws

Getting it back upright after attaching the stand to the TV was the hardest part because I was kind of scared that I might damage the screen with how heavy the bottom part is. Maybe it was safe to just simply lift it back up but what we did is we ended up just gently tilting the box until I got the TV up standing again (still had the white covering over it to protect the screen)
that sounds super smart and ultimately straightforward. i'll get the stand stuff put together before he gets here. thanks!

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
What we did:

- cut ties, pull up box

That last part of tilting the box until the tv is standing again sounds like a good move. That initial maneuver to stand it after installing the stand is a scary one with how paper thin the screen is.

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
I keep coming back to this and almost buying the 65"....someone stop me......or peer pressure me into doing it. Whichever.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I keep coming back to this and almost buying the 65"....someone stop me......or peer pressure me into doing it. Whichever.
I got the 55" and the panel failed on me last night - bad luck of the draw, but instead of returning it and being mad at LG, I returned it and I bought the 65 to replace it, the TV is that good.

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
You've worked hard this year and we're about to be stuck inside for the greater part of the next year. Treat yourself. <3

qi3YCX9.png

Decision was doubly easy because I forgot I had $450 in Amazon Credit, so it came out to about $1,400 :D

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
How do I get rid of the old TV? I'm close to ordering one but I don't know how to get rid of the TV sitting in the living room. Can the Costco delivery folks take the old TV?

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Did it just not turn on out of the box?
Nah it worked fine for a week, then a big vertical green line showed up and wouldn't go away no matter what I did - I guess this is a thing that happens very very rarely with OLED screens in general and usually LG will fix it, but I didn't want to wait especially while in the return window. So it's going back to Best Buy this afternoon - the 65 is on its way here, should be here friday.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What size are you going for? I could just about lift the 65 inch GX but i wouldnt have been able to get it on a wall mount.

If it had been on a stand i could have lfted it from say the floor to a tv cabinet.

You *might* be able to wall mount a 55 solo, but 65+ is impossible.

IMHO you can solo lift a 65 onto a cabinet, maybe even a 77....so size and mounting matter.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Nah it worked fine for a week, then a big vertical green line showed up and wouldn't go away no matter what I did - I guess this is a thing that happens very very rarely with OLED screens in general and usually LG will fix it, but I didn't want to wait especially while in the return window. So it's going back to Best Buy this afternoon - the 65 is on its way here, should be here friday.

Ah ok. OLEDs tend to be pretty reliable too compared to LCDs. Congrats on upgrading the size. :D

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok. OLEDs tend to be pretty reliable too compared to LCDs. Congrats on upgrading the size. :D
honestly it's a blessing in disguise, since I got the 55" I was kicking myself for not going bigger - but the sale hadn't started yet on them, so they were still out of reach, and I figured the 55 would be totally fine. What a fool I was.

Jan 2, 2018
So I've got my eyes on the 77" CX (upgrading from a 65" C7) but seeing this gives me pause. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Is it worth holding off on a purchase or is it not a big deal...

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
qi3YCX9.png

Decision was doubly easy because I forgot I had $450 in Amazon Credit, so it came out to about $1,400 :D

Good choice, another reason besides your hard earned money is, with covid 19 shut downs and theaters being closed, why not experience Dolby vision from the comfort of your home. Turn your place into your own home theater.
I ONLY went to Dolby atmos showings at the theater for the comfortable seating, awesome screen and amazing sound.
Its been lacking and I feel I havent watched anything like I used to so with this 65 inch I should be enjoying movies and content more often again especially during this winter season with nowhere to go.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You should!! I just installed mine Friday and man...my eyes are bleeding awesomeness..in hdr..loll

Seriously, this panel is phenomenal. For now its on my desk and sitting around 2 and a half feet from it. Its quite enjoyable from this distance but this weekend I will be putting it on the wall and should gain around 2 feet more.

Going to install my HDMI 2.1 cable I got today and all is missing now is the 3080...Rocking it with the 2080ti right now.

Anyone know if hdmi 2.1 will change anything in my control panel settings on the 2080ti ? or am I already maxing it out with the 2.0B cable..

Can't wait to try the ps5 on this too!! What a wonderful time for gamers despite de covid crap going on...

Thanks
My only hesitation comes from wondering if next year's models will support 240Hz formats. 1080p and 1440p @ 240Hz are things I'd really like to have.

My current display is 1080p@240Hz and I'll be damned if games that hit that refresh rate aren't magical.

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017
So I've got my eyes on the 77" CX (upgrading from a 65" C7) but seeing this gives me pause. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Is it worth holding off on a purchase or is it not a big deal...

I would suggest referring to this thread starting with post 33,348:

www.resetera.com

TV Displays and Tech Thread |OT2| There Is No Perfect TV ™ (Read The OP) Tech - OT

Yeah, thanks for the help! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to miss out on HDR altogether. This is my first HDR TV so I'm looking forward to it!

Oct 27, 2017
What size are you going for? I could just about lift the 65 inch GX but i wouldnt have been able to get it on a wall mount.

If it had been on a stand i could have lfted it from say the floor to a tv cabinet.

You *might* be able to wall mount a 55 solo, but 65+ is impossible.

IMHO you can solo lift a 65 onto a cabinet, maybe even a 77....so size and mounting matter.

im getting the 55". I just need to get it out of the box and on the tv stand without breaking it.

Jan 2, 2018
I would suggest referring to this thread starting with post 33,348:

www.resetera.com

TV Displays and Tech Thread |OT2| There Is No Perfect TV ™ (Read The OP) Tech - OT

Yeah, thanks for the help! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to miss out on HDR altogether. This is my first HDR TV so I'm looking forward to it!
Hmm, so is the simple solution to turn off VRR? Is that an option available in the CX's Game Mode, or is it turned on automatically for that mode?

Also, are there any comparison vids out there that demonstrate what the effect is?

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I have been planning to upgrade my 6 year old Sony 46HX850 (which i was very satisfied with) to a 4k tv for the new generation of consoles (PS5). Is it worth waiting until next years models or can i buy a 55CX6 now? I know the whole "wait until next year" argument doesn't make much sense most of the time but it seems the new consoles bring quite a bit of new technology so i wonder if next years models will be more compatible with these new technologies. I've been reading that a lot of the 2020 Sony tv's for example don't support all the new technologies yet. I have the impression these CX's oled's are already futureproof?

May 30, 2018
alright y'all. got my lg cx stood up on my cabinet and it's got a dead-ass black pixel right dead center. do i need to buy the warranty from Best Buy before calling and demanding a replacement or how should i go about this for speed and convenience?