• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
DTS is a lossy audio format that is the counterpart to Dolby Digital. It had an advantage over Dolby Digital where it allowed higher bitrates. Sony allowed you to choose whether you wanted Dolby Digital or DTS as a bitstream output for game audio on the PS4. DTS is also widely used on DVDs and Blu-rays.

DTS-HD MA is a lossless audio format that is the counterpart to Dolby TrueHD. It's most commonly used on Blu-rays as the audio format.

DTS:X is a 3D object based audio format that is comparable to Dolby Atmos. This is commonly used in UHD Blu-rays, but Atmos has much more support for it at the moment.

ARC allows you to connect devices to your TV through HDMI and then the audio can be passed on to a receiver or soundbar over the HDMI ARC port. ARC was limited to lossy audio only (DTS, Dolby Digital) or 2.0 LPCM.

eARC is part of the HDMI 2.1 standard, although some devices have implemented it without having HDMI 2.1, which is an upgrade over ARC. This allowed for all the lossless formats that ARC didn't allow (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, LPCM 7.1).

The problem with the CX is LG stopped paying for the license to process DTS, DTS-HD MA, and DTS:X. This means any device plugged in to your TV cannot pass those audio formats over ARC or eARC. The C9 allowed this but the CX doesn't. A work around is often that a device can decode the DTS track to LPCM. If you set it to do that before sending it to the TV, then the TV will just receive LPCM sound which then will work over eARC. It might be a problem if your audio device only has ARC though since you can't pass 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM through it.

If you pair the TV with a HDMI 2.1 Receiver it would solves the issue correct? Consoles would be connected to the receiver and do the decoding, and TV out to CX.

I'm interested in 77in but kinda wants to see some real world tests when PS5 comes out.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Got mine cheaper just because the delivery company dumped it on my doorstep when it required a signature, plus it was raining that day and I bitched about it. Got a $300 credit on amazon. Every TV amazon has delivered the delivery company has fucked up 😂

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
If you pair the TV with a HDMI 2.1 Receiver it would solves the issue correct? Consoles would be connected to the receiver and do the decoding, and TV out to CX.

I'm interested in 77in but kinda wants to see some real world tests when PS5 comes out.

Yes, except the problem is all HDMI 2.1 receivers are broken right now and possibly for at least 2021 too. It really depends how everyone addresses the Panasonic issue.

May 30, 2018
this morning i ordered the 65" from costco but the more i'm reading this thread the more it sounds like i should get the Best Buy warranty. but i can't go plunking down 2500 (after warranty cost at bb) vs 2000 at costco. would you all recommend i instead just go for the 55" at bb (1349) + 5yr warranty (300) for about 1800? it makes sense to me but not sure whether the 65" is worth having even without the BB warranty. i already have a 55" TCL but i did like the idea of going even bigger.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
So from what I've read the main flaws for the CX series are:

4k 120hz + VRR is broken (stutters, and other problems).
VRR + eARC audio doesn't work right at any resolution 1080p - 4k (sucks if you want to use a soundbar).
Burn in can ruin the set.
It lacks the bandwidth for the highest spec 4k HDMI 2.1 video (48Gbps needed, it is limited to 40Gbps - so lower depth color bitrates are needed)
It's a bit expensive (2x the price of comparable sets while still having issues in the HDMI 2.1 4k 120hz output).

Anything else?

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
this morning i ordered the 65" from costco but the more i'm reading this thread the more it sounds like i should get the Best Buy warranty. but i can't go plunking down 2500 (after warranty cost at bb) vs 2000 at costco. would you all recommend i instead just go for the 55" at bb (1349) + 5yr warranty (300) for about 1800? it makes sense to me but not sure whether the 65" is worth having even without the BB warranty. i already have a 55" TCL but i did like the idea of going even bigger.

Stick with the 65". You will appreciate the size difference.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought the 65 inch from Costco and it should be here by Saturday. I'm upgrading from a 55 inch C8 so I'm not expecting that dramatic of an improvement but I will be moving my C8 to my bedroom. I have a super old 43 inch LCD in my room so I'm excited to have a consistent Oled viewing experience.

Last edited:

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to join the CX gang with a 65 inch coming Saturday. Here is hoping I can get it into my stand on my own!

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017

VRR + eARC audio doesn't work right at any resolution 1080p - 4k (sucks if you want to use a soundbar).
It lacks the bandwidth for the highest spec 4k HDMI 2.1 video (48Gbps needed, it is limited to 40Gbps - so lower depth color bitrates are needed)
It's a bit expensive (2x the price of comparable sets while still having issues in the HDMI 2.1 4k 120hz output).

Anything else?

Woah what, should I not get this TV? These seem like big issues or can they be fixed with software updates?

May 30, 2018

Anything else?
yeah, is this accurate?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Anything else?
Can you link to sources?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Woah what, should I not get this TV? These seem like big issues or can they be fixed with software updates?
Personally, I have no issues with Earc and VRR. Works perfect. The 100-120hz stutter will likely be fixed, they started issuing a firmware fixing 120hz 4K issues within a couple weeks after the 3080 came out. They will very likely fix this with GPU drivers and TV firmware.

However, there is a near black flicker in certain games with VRR in my experience. Some people might not even notice it, it's very subtle but it's there and I see people downplay this and ignore it, but it's definitely a problem.

At the end of the day, it's pick your poison right now. VRR on LG OLEDS is fine in most cases. If they can iron out the 4K 120hz issues I'll call it a win, it seems like the VRR near black flicker is something that all displays exhibit but it's not noticeable except on an OLED when black is literally pixels completely turned off. Dunno how they solve that, or if they will.

I'm happy with both my OLEDS, but if I was really budget conscious right now and was looking to buy a new TV to last me all of next gen, I would wait.

Edit: and the 40gbps vs 48 has been shown to be a non issue. You would only need 48gbps for 12 bit 4:4:4: and all panels are 10 bit anyways

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
That's what I figured. I know I've said repeatedly that I won't buy another TV until my current 1080p set breaks, but $1850 plus tax (with warranty at Costco and cash back next year using my Visa card) is a very good deal on the CX 65"! I wonder if the price will go down further on Black Friday as I do know Costco price matches within 30 days.

Usually you can't PM Black Friday prices. But you can just buy a 2nd one and not open it and return it on the original receipt.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
Its definitely a lot. I only got the 2 year plan until the pricematch came along. But it was better than nothing imo.

Still I had a B6 for a few years until this set replaced it, and it was fine, no burn in.

I dont think the Costco warranty covers burn in if thats your concern.
The Costco warranty does not cover burn-in. The only warranty that explicitly covers burn-in is the Best Buy one.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

This is largely pointless as you won't be using 8K signals or 12 bit color depth since the panel is 4K and 10 bit. The extra bandwidth has no use on the LG CX or anything that you will want to use on it.

Oct 27, 2017

Anything else?
4k 120hz + VRR is broken? It won't be for long. The c9 already has working firmware which works great it's very hard to imagine cx won't. "2x the price of comparable sets." What comparable sets? At this time there is oled and not oled, especially if you are talking about viewing mastered content, lcd isn't on the same plane. The main considerations not to get oleds are price and having static images on the sets for extended periods. Yeah, it cost more and you have have to be more conscious of what you have on the screen. But the result is a better quality set than anything else.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Can you link to sources?

Most of the info came through this thread at resetera. Stuff like this from there. I might have read some of the 4k issues on reddit too. But I'm close to buying it, but trying to see the negatives.

You could simply avoid using VRR if you use eARC, but VRR seems to be one of the draws of the set. Shame for me I'd be using a sound bar, pretty set on getting the Sonos Arc surround set because my space is more suited to a simple setup. But we'll see what I come up with over the next few weeks.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
Can you link to sources?

I looked this TV up alot on forums and Rtings and have not heard of virtually all these issues. Especially the 48gbs one. I looked up the HDMI specs and for 4k/120 fps/HDR/10 bit panel is 40.1 Gbps and the 12bit panel is 48 gbs. Could be mistaken of course.

I checked and right now there don't seem to be any 12 bit panels, later sure and DV I think is designed for it.

Nov 8, 2017
I want one, but I keep waiting for that lower Black Friday price. I thought I saw the 55 inch for 1350 in a Costco BF ad recently.

50 bucks ain't much, but it is a game. Usually early November BestBuy has BF pricing early for Elite members. I can wait a week or two and decide.

They went to 1350. Bought one. We'll see what kind of add ons I miss out on, but can't wait to be next gen ready

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Are there any rumors out there about next year's LG sets? I want to replace my C8 to get HDMI 2.1 and VRR but I'm not desperate due to that being the only real difference so I can wait if there is any noticeable improvements on the horizon.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
This shit still won't do 4k120 HDR G-Sync. So any 30 series boys looking for that might be disappointed.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Can firmware updates not solve these potential issues?

Depends on what is causing the problem. Most likely yes, but that said, never bank on firmware fixes to fix problems. LG seems pretty good about it, but only buy if you're comfortable with it never getting fixed. If not, then wait until the actual fix is out.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Can firmware updates not solve these potential issues?

Maybe, I'm not sure, it kinda sounds more like a fundamental issue than a specific TV's problem. VRR + eARC probably just can't play along.

Anway, here's the choice posts from that other thread, I found worthwhile to consider before buying:

Issue is that not even the CX is perfect (although it is right now the best 2.1 option). 4K@120Hz with HDR works great but enabling VRR causes dark areas to flicker. In addition, I appears that eARC and VRR don't play well together either. Basically, VRR on TVs is botched in general.

Do not buy something based on a promise future firmware update. You don't know how that will turn out. There's been examples of gotchas that came up after firmware updates have been released or heck even the upcoming Yamaha receiver has a hardware bug preventing the promised firmware from functioning properly with HDMI 2.1.

It's also worth noting that literally every manufacturer has been having significant issues with 2.1 implementation (video linked): which is to be expected as this is brand new stuff and we're in the early adopter phase.

Honestly, 2020 is not a good year to buy a new TV. I know it's super tempting but the best thing to do is wait until next year, let the teething issues resolve and take a call on what's the best option in market after extensive tests and RL feedback.

Someone just tell me what 65' TV I should get for my PS5. --- Lol Wait til 2021 models to hit for everything is honestly probably the best way to go at this point.

For the people that are hesitant on the CX with the VRR issues. Wait until LG actually fixes before even buying it. Either through an update or by releasing the CX11 which will likely come out next summer.

The clear option right now if you haven't already bought a TV is to wait. HDMI 2.1 support will be available in many more sets next year, so you'll have better choices in where to make sacrifices.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
God the 55" at $1349.99 is so tempting, especially as I'm working from home, but I feel like I should not rush and wait until 2021 as way more HDMI 2.1 sets will be on the market. Plus I really need the 48" as I'm not sure if the 55" will fit on my TV stand.

Honestly if I didn't just miss 3 months of work I'd probably say eff it.

The 4K/120Hz G-Sync issues are making me feel better about waiting though.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Thanks for the link on the Costco hulu code and lg speaker. I got my cash diff refunded earlier and didn't see this deal in store. I put in my member ID and got the hulu code. LG speaker as well

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Going back and forth about this. I'm currently using a 39 inch 1080 vizio I bought in 2014. I'm ready to upgrade to 65", but I wish I felt better about the vrr stuff.

There's no perfect tv, of course.

Memles

Oct 26, 2017
I bought the 55" to replace a dead TV (struck by lightning) a few months ago for $50 more than this, so I don't feel too bad. That said, in addition to other issues being raised, I had a heck of a time dealing with audio sync issues from HDMI sources—it seems to have settled down a bit now, but I had to pull up YouTube videos and address the sync problems, and on some inputs the video behind the audio and there's no "negative" audio delay setting to fix it. I'm still not sure if I've just gotten used to it or if it's still there, but if you're sensitive to that I Googled and found it's a common problem with newer LG OLED models and they seem to think it's within acceptable levels and haven't introduced a fix.

MCWyatt

Aug 7, 2018
Thinking about the 65. What's the odds of burnin on these bad boys? I never buy into "insurance" on electronics but as a person whos never lived the OLED life burn in scares the shit out of me

InTheBackRoom

May 27, 2019
Has anyone tried the Xbox One X on the LG CX? I'm curious on how it feels to play 30fps games on it.

From what I've read, due to the fast response time on the TV, you can perceive "stutter" on lower frame-rate games when panning the camera around etc. Could Freesync Premium/VRR (and its use of Low Frame-rate Compensation) go anyway towards reducing this stutter?

I'd be coming from a 2011 21" 1080p, so anything would be an upgrade, but I'd like just to understand any potential cons beforehand 😊

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Has anyone tried the Xbox One X on the LG CX? I'm curious on how it feels to play 30fps games on it.

From what I've read, due to the fast response time on the TV, you can perceive "stutter" on lower frame-rate games when panning the camera around etc. Could Freesync Premium/VRR (and its use of Low Frame-rate Compensation) go anyway towards reducing this stutter?

I'd be coming from a 2011 21" 1080p, so anything would be an upgrade, but I'd like just to understand any potential cons beforehand 😊

I've been using XOX since 2016 OLEDs no problem for me.

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon won't give me a partial refund on the one I bought 10/7 at $2300. They had an extra 5% cash back deal, and I figured the price would go down to $2100 for Black Friday and I was okay with the ~$100 difference. But now we're talking $300 difference.

So I'm going to buy another one and return the one I bought 10/7. Do they track serial #s on the orders? I don't see it on the order or invoice anywhere. I'd rather just keep the one I already have hung up on the wall rather than have to take it down and send it back.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Amazon won't give me a partial refund on the one I bought 10/7 at $2300. They had an extra 5% cash back deal, and I figured the price would go down to $2100 for Black Friday and I was okay with the ~$100 difference. But now we're talking $300 difference.

So I'm going to buy another one and return the one I bought 10/7. Do they track serial #s on the orders? I don't see it on the order or invoice anywhere. I'd rather just keep the one I already have hung up on the wall rather than have to take it down and send it back.

This seems like a good way to get your Amazon account banned.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017

Seems f'd up to do. Patience is key.

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited: