• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I'm going to say upfront this is question will rub some people the wrong way, but when does the gameplay get a reasonable level of depth to it?

Me and my buddy started the free trial today and after a good 15 hours between the two of us, we both have the exact same complaint. He's a level 16 conjurer and claims to only have two attacks (one of which rarely works). Yes, the conjurer is a healing class primarily, but it seems like they would still make it decent to play solo. I don't feel much different with my level 10 pugilist -- I hit B, A, X on my controller to do my little song and dance... and that really it. I'm a decent ways from getting any skill that seems like it would disrupt that progression; even worse, I haven't gotten an inclination that it's going to stop working for tens of hours.

I know that I'm still "early" on in the experience, but the thing most people complain about with the base game aren't bothering me. Yes, there's a lot of menial tasks they're having me do, the map system is confusing at best, and the lock-on system really ticks me off, but I'm enjoying it. The world feels inhabited and the writing seems great. The aesthetic of the world also impresses me, despite how dated the graphics are. But like I said, unless the combat gets significantly more involved (on a per-player basis) it's hard for to envision spending an exorbitant amount of time with this game.

We aren't MMO people, is this just part of the genre?
Combat absolutely gets much, much more complex later into the game. Once you hit 30 and unlock your job you'll be given a suite of new abilities, and from there things just get more complicated. How many "buttons" you'll have to push will depend on your job, but a big part of the later-game combat is working around the 2s global cooldown that's on most abilities, and "weaving" non-GCD abilities between those 2s. You'll also soon have multiple meters to keep track of and work around.

If you're curious to know what your jobs might look like in the future, I'd recommend looking up a rotation guide for that job and see what that looks like.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to say upfront this is question will rub some people the wrong way, but when does the gameplay get a reasonable level of depth to it?

Me and my buddy started the free trial today and after a good 15 hours between the two of us, we both have the exact same complaint. He's a level 16 conjurer and claims to only have two attacks (one of which rarely works). Yes, the conjurer is a healing class primarily, but it seems like they would still make it decent to play solo. I don't feel much different with my level 10 pugilist -- I hit B, A, X on my controller to do my little song and dance... and that really it. I'm a decent ways from getting any skill that seems like it would disrupt that progression; even worse, I haven't gotten an inclination that it's going to stop working for tens of hours.

I know that I'm still "early" on in the experience, but the thing most people complain about with the base game aren't bothering me. Yes, there's a lot of menial tasks they're having me do, the map system is confusing at best, and the lock-on system really ticks me off, but I'm enjoying it. The world feels inhabited and the writing seems great. The aesthetic of the world also impresses me, despite how dated the graphics are. But like I said, unless the combat gets significantly more involved (on a per-player basis) it's hard for to envision spending an exorbitant amount of time with this game.

Other classes do get more complex, CNJ, which becomes a WHM, does not. Stone, Aero, and that's basically it until cap. You get Holy, but that's AoE. Your tradeoff is virtually nothing can kill you solo(good for some later solo duties), so you absolutely will need a chocobo to fight with you to up your dps.

For me, I also did change the lock on button to closest target instead of what default was, but I'm still not used to targeting. Hell, I still have a few heals tied to mouseover while I click my most potent ones(think it makes it easier to dps in groups personally).

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MMOs typically start off slow but by the end are some of the most complicated and in depth combat (at least of the RPG variety). So much so that they often have to prune things over time because there's just too many buttons to push.

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I urge people to download and try ReShade, it's a game changer especially with MXAO which adds the depths and contrast it severely lacks. I tweaked a preset to my liking and I love it now. I'll post a few screens later on.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, depth in FF comes from the encounters themselves. The global cooldown doesn't feel slow when you're having to dodge all manner of AOEs and engage with mechanics.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep with it.

Also, depth in FF comes from the encounters themselves. The global cooldown doesn't feel slow when you're having to dodge all manner of AOEs and engage with mechanics.

Well, that's a better worded version of what I was trying to get at. I know that I'll eventually have to hit more buttons for my commands, but am I going to be hitting the same buttons regardless of my enemy? Is my strategy going to change fight to fight? I get that MMO depth comes from team composition and the magnitude of the encounter, but does MY strategy change? That's the part I'm still not sold on. In a traditional JRPG, depth comes from having controlling multiple party members -- in that scenario, there's always a special action one or two of the members of the team can take against the enemy to make the encounter feel like it's not on autopilot; in XIV so far, since I'm only one entity, there doesn't seem much I can do aside from executing my role.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep with it.

Well, that's a better worded version of what I was trying to get at. I know that I'll eventually have to hit more buttons for my commands, but am I going to be hitting the same buttons regardless of my enemy? Is my strategy going to change fight to fight? I get that MMO depth comes from team composition and the magnitude of the encounter, but does MY strategy change? That's the part I'm still not sold on. In a traditional JRPG, depth comes from having controlling multiple party members -- in that scenario, there's always a special action one or two of the members of the team can take against the enemy to make the encounter feel like it's not on autopilot; in XIV so far, since I'm only one entity, there doesn't seem much I can do aside from executing my role.
Some jobs are more dynamic and rely on the situation and procs more so than others. But for the most part, what you're doing doesn't change much. The fight around you changes.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any good wireless keyboard you can recommend for ps4 guys? I'm playing on my set so it's hard for a usb one

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Some jobs are more dynamic and rely on the situation and procs more so than others. But for the most part, what you're doing doesn't change much. The fight around you changes.
Cool. That gives me a clearer picture of what to expect. I'm excited to see what's in store once I get to more of the group focused missions.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
If you're in NA be careful if you just purchased the game, literally every single NA servers are "congested" so it's impossible to create a new character currently.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tried to jump back in again. Oh my god that was not easy. First, trying to login was a challenge. Turns out I named my character MagnitudePoppop, a Community reference is a clear indication I made my character in 2013. Hopefully I can change that.
Now, I vaguely recall at some point I was able to upgrade my PS3 copy to PS4. Also, maybe at the same time, there was a free weekend, which was the last time I played and the only time I played on PS4. I remember being frustrated my hot bar transfer over but today, as soon as I left what I think was my guild area (Wolves Den or something like that? It was on a ship) my hot bar appeared. The bad news is half my actions are greyed out now for some reason and won't let me use them. But I fiddled around for a long while and eventually figured out how to continue the main quest. Progress!! Now the game wants me to use the duty finder to enter a dungeon called Brayflox's Longstop. I'm assuming I can't do this alone but the areas I'm in are very empty. How difficult is it to do the ARR stuff these days? Is there anyway to skip? At level 33 how close am I to bring able to do Heavensward, Stormblood, and Shadowbringers?

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Tried to jump back in again. Oh my god that was not easy. First, trying to login was a challenge. Turns out I named my character MagnitudePoppop, a Community reference is a clear indication I made my character in 2013. Hopefully I can change that.
Now, I vaguely recall at some point I was able to upgrade my PS3 copy to PS4. Also, maybe at the same time, there was a free weekend, which was the last time I played and the only time I played on PS4. I remember being frustrated my hot bar transfer over but today, as soon as I left what I think was my guild area (Wolves Den or something like that? It was on a ship) my hot bar appeared. The bad news is half my actions are greyed out now for some reason and won't let me use them. But I fiddled around for a long while and eventually figured out how to continue the main quest. Progress!! Now the game wants me to use the duty finder to enter a dungeon called Brayflox's Longstop. I'm assuming I can't do this alone but the areas I'm in are very empty. How difficult is it to do the ARR stuff these days? Is there anyway to skip? At level 33 how close am I to bring able to do Heavensward, Stormblood, and Shadowbringers?
The story of ARR, or 2.0, should last you till LV50. From there you'll need to do 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and so on till 2.5 and then it's heavensward till 60, then 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 till 3.5, rinse and repeat through Stormblood and then Shadowbringers. If you wanna skip all this you'd need to pay extra money on the mogstation for a scenario skip book, maybe multiples. The ARR stuff is doable still, it depend on the queue time for dungeons and such.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Even though I talked about the subscription being a big turn-off due to a lack of free time, I ended getting the game anyway (during the weekend found the full collection including shadowbringers for a rather nice price). <~<;;
While I'm very early on, from what I've played so far it seems rather easy to pick and stop, so I guess I could fit it in the downtime I have between work and dinner.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even though I talked about the subscription being a big turn-off due to a lack of free time, I ended getting he game anyway (during the weekend found the full collection including shadowbringers for a rather nice price). <~<;;
While I'm very early on, from what I've played so far it seems rather easy to pick and stop, so I guess I could fit it in the downtime I have between work and dinner.
It is. Also regarding the subscription and the way the updates are made, once you're up to date on the content you can cancel your subscription and come back 3 months later once a new content patch has been released, if you feel like you're not getting your money's worth anymore.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
why is there a thread promoting new users to FFXIV when I heard that every server got full on shadow bringers release and no one could make new characters?

I'm sure that died down by now, but it sounds like the game is popular enough already and doesn't need new players

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
why is there a thread promoting new users to FFXIV when I heard that every server got full on shadow bringers release and no one could make new characters?

I'm sure that died down by now, but it sounds like the game is popular enough already and doesn't need new players
Tbh I learned about this issue like... yesterday evening.
Sorry if anyone bought the game because of my thread and can't play with friends because of this issue, but it seems like the servers are actually completely full. It wouldn't surprise me to see new servers pop up in the next days or week.

EDIT: Also, on Lich (EU) I have mostly about 30 people in the login queue, the max being 89 yesterday.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
It is. Also regarding the subscription and the way the updates are made, once you're up to date on the content you can cancel your subscription and come back 3 months later once a new content patch has been released, if you feel like you're not getting your money's worth anymore.
Yeah.
On another note, it's been 10 years since I've played a traditional MMO (gameplay wise, last one I tried was Aion, didn't even make it to end game, I got bored after 3 months, reached early lvl 40s or so out of 55), kinda started to miss this type of game.

why is there a thread promoting new users to FFXIV when I heard that every server got full and no one could make new characters?

Depends on the region and time of day I guess.
I had no problems starting on a new server in Europe.

When it comes to the US, one of the 3 datacenters has almost all servers available right now (though it could be different during peak time):
na.finalfantasyxiv.com

Server Status | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone

Official community site for FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
12 bucks a month for one game seems antiquated when Game Pass and the value it brings exists.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dropped it because I really couldn't stand the UI, does FFXIV support addons that would let me change it?
I think the Reshade mod allows you to change the graphical style of the UI. Other than that, the UI is 100% customizable. You can add or hide UI elements, change their size, some allow you to change their appearence, etc.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I believe this is the case but can anyone confirm if you want to have two people playing in the same house at the same time (two ps4s) you both need a copy of the game (game sharing not possible) both need SE accounts, and both need individual subscriptions (2 total) and no PS+ required for either person, correct?

As well as the normal stuff like making sure you are on the same server, and server capacity junk mentioned above, and so on.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I don't know why, but I notice the global cool down in this game much more than in others. It's a bit irritating to be honest. I just want to spam abilities.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I believe this is the case but can anyone confirm if you want to have two people playing in the same house at the same time (two ps4s) you both need a copy of the game (game sharing not possible) both need SE accounts, and both need individual subscriptions (2 total) and no PS+ required for either person, correct?

As well as the normal stuff like making sure you are on the same server, and server capacity junk mentioned above, and so on.
Yes. You progression isn't tied to a save file on your HDD (or in the cloud) but to your account, and it's saved every second or so on the server side, there wouldn't even be another possibility.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Sure. It's not hard to buy the game.

But you should tell people you can't create a character on ANY server during normal hours of the day cause NEW CHARACTERS CANNOT BE MADE ON THIS WORLD AT THIS TIME

fucking bullshit

Nov 2, 2017
If they do another one of those low pop server character creation incentive things again, someone message me. That exp boost helps a bunch.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
While the hype around Shadowbringers had made me want to check the game out, the fact is that I don't play games very much. The stress of knowing that I'm burning money via a subscription to a game I'm progressing through very slowly turns me off.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I may give it another chance. Was rather turned off to finally become a Ninja or whatever and basically be level 1 again.

If I can be a Death Knight or whatever right off the bat that would be awesome.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I may give it another chance. Was rather turned off to finally become a Ninja or whatever and basically be level 1 again.

If I can be a Death Knight or whatever right off the bat that would be awesome.

Dark Knight. And sadly no, it requires reaching Heavensward and being level 50.

Class starts at 30.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I don't know why, but I notice the global cool down in this game much more than in others. It's a bit irritating to be honest. I just want to spam abilities.

Some jobs do, especially past 50. Lots of jobs get a plethora of off GCD abilities. Mechanical mastery becomes doing your GCD rotation while "weaving" your off GCDs so they don't clip your rotation. So some jobs can squeeze two OGCDs within 1 GCD cooldown. Dancer is a good example of this. If you just unleash all your 10 off GCDs at once, you are clipping into your main rotation/resource generation while not properly dodging mechanics and are bad!

That's why the game is fun even if it makes for a slow 1-50 because of the nature of trying to teach people things slowly and properly.

Palace of the Dead becomes the best way to get a taste of each job once you get them to 30, since you can play as a 60 within it without actually being 60. That will still leave you out of the 61-80 skills and job gauges though.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
According to the server status, there are still preferred, but you can't actually create characters on them right now.

na.finalfantasyxiv.com

Server Status | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone

Official community site for FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Hmm ok wonder if you can answer this then. I created my trial account a few months ago and created my toon on a preferred world (Atomos JP) and was rceiving the bonus exp. haven't logged in since then (couple months). Last night I logged on the same toon but noticed I don't have that preferred world buff anymore, but Atomos JP is still a preferred world. Is the buff timed? Did the time off kill the buff? Still a trial account at this stage if that helps.

Edit: just googles and the road to 60 buff expires in 90 days if the world stops being preferred. That's what must have happened. Might just make a new toon.. was only level 25 anyways.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Eh there's no ideal time to start FFXIV like I started 4 yrs ago but even in a alt timeline I started last week I would've still liked the entire exp. I would've just gotten a story skip for ARR and started on HW just so I can forget the eternal nightmare of early days.

Although I can't afford to sub all year I still say it's worth the $12 every few months to check out MSQ and collect new clothes.

Nov 2, 2017
In a hilarious turn of events, it is now extremely difficult to get into FF14 (in NA at least). Every server is closed to character creation. Might have done your job too well OP.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a hilarious turn of events, it is now extremely difficult to get into FF14 (in NA at least). Every server is closed to character creation. Might have done your job too well OP.
Just wait for it, that what happened to me and I just waited for the preferred world to free up. Keep refreshing that lodestone server webpage every 30 mins or so

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Well, just wanted to say thanks to OP and others who have littered the forum with praise for this game. I had tried several times to get into it, but never made it past 20. After finally deciding on a race and job I was happy with, I was able to get past my roadblock and level a Dragoon to lvl 52. I can honesty say I'm a bit addicted now and I know I've only scratched the surface.

For those who are playing on PS4, I found this guide very helpful in wrapping my head around the controller and how to access all your abilities with ease. It also provides information on how to customize your UI that'll make it feel less cluttered (disabling the name text on your hotbar for ex). Definitely recommend picking up a wireless keyboard/mouse if you don't have one. Navigating through menus and mapping your abilities are just easier and you won't spend your time fighting with your controller to exit windows.

Now that I have gotten to 50, I'm considering buying a skip ARR portion because I can't access my new abilities as I level. Might use it as an opportunity to level another class like Gladiator. I just don't want to burn out like so many others here have mentioned.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, just wanted to say thanks to OP and others who have littered the forum with praise for this game. I had tried several times to get into it, but never made it past 20. After finally deciding on a race and job I was happy with, I was able to get past my roadblock and level a Dragoon to lvl 52. I can honesty say I'm a bit addicted now and I know I've only scratched the surface.

For those who are playing on PS4, I found this guide very helpful in wrapping my head around the controller and how to access all your abilities with ease. It also provides information on how to customize your UI that'll make it feel less cluttered (disabling the name text on your hotbar for ex). Definitely recommend picking up a wireless keyboard/mouse if you don't have one. Navigating through menus and mapping your abilities are just easier and you won't spend your time fighting with your controller to exit windows.

Now that I have gotten to 50, I'm considering buying a skip ARR portion because I can't access my new abilities as I level. Might use it as an opportunity to level another class like Gladiator. I just don't want to burn out like so many others here have mentioned.
Are you me? This is my sentiment as well, im well past the area I dropped it the last 2 time and im having a blast. The exp buff is the big key for me and im thinking of skipping the arr but might as well power through it, might get a skip job potion though because i can't take 1 - 70 grind all over again

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Are you me? This is my sentiment as well, im well past the area I dropped it the last 2 time and im having a blast. The exp buff is the big key for me and im thinking of skipping the arr but might as well power through it, might get a skip job potion though because i can't take 1 - 70 grind all over again
Welcome to the family :D

If you decide to skip post-ARR stuff (which I would absolutely understand), please watch a story recap on youtube since you'll be completely lost in the Heavensward storyline because of everything happening in 2.1 - 2.5.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I'm now level 20 and mainlining the main story quests (on preferred server with double xp). Should hit the level 17 quests soon.

Everything seems to be picking up a bit now. Combat rotations are (slightly) more complex. The story is (slightly) better. Things are looking up, I think.

Mio

Oct 16, 2018
Sometimes I feel like playing this game again, but actually having an old account and just the base game stops me from buying the collection edition with all the expansions, as it comes with its own keys that can't be linked to my old account.

So basically, unless I'm mistaken, it lacks an option to "upgrade" an old existing account to the most recent expansions at a cheap price.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Try ninja or monk, they have lower gcd from either abilities.
Both jobs are very busy in general if that's what you are looking for.

RiamuFG

Director at Chuhai Labs
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
With Shadowbringers looming a couple of weeks back (and looking pretty awesome) I was thinking about getting back in.

I purchased 2.0 when it first released and played a Monk up to about lvl 35, I think. Or maybe I just stayed as a Puglist, I can't remember. Whilst enjoying it, it never really stuck and became THAT game that I always wanted to hang around and dip in and out off.

I then picked up the PS4 Complete Collection last year when Stormblood came out and I enjoyed it again, playing this time with some friends. I played a Thaumatage up to about 25 ish before life stuff getting busy and me dropping off.

THIRD TIME IS A CHARM... i guess. As I recently did pick it back up again and purchased a subscription card on a whim (I live in Japan so I saw it in a konbini) and I jumped back in. It was tough and I just continued on with the lvl 25 Thaum that I had prior. WELL, since then I have been having an absolute blast and have got the Thaum into a Black Mage that's currently lvl 44, I'm pushing hard towards 50 so I can pick up the Samurai Job and also only doing both daily duty's and MSQ so I can power through the ARR stuff.

Square Enix also sent me the Shadowbringers expansion so that I can talk about it when I eventually get to it, so that's given me even more inspiration towards pushing through everything. Even so (and general consensus seems to be that ARR is the weakest part), I am enjoying it immensely this time round. I even purchased it on Steam again through the sale so that I could level up whilst on lunch break at work!

I'm happy to finally feel like it's sticking and I'm constantly excited about what's ahead with everyone raving about the expansions, especially Shadowbringers.

It's such a great game.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I feel like playing this game again, but actually having an old account and just the base game stops me from buying the collection edition with all the expansions, as it comes with its own keys that can't be linked to my old account.

So basically, unless I'm mistaken, it lacks an option to "upgrade" an old existing account to the most recent expansions at a cheap price.
If you buy Shadowbringers you get all previous expansions for free :)