• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
So how does that potion character boost work? I have a couple of old characters around level 20-25, but don't feel like messing around with ARR. Can I just start with Heavensward after the boost?

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not so difficult and pricey to get into FFXIV (Depending where you live)

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
Too many other games to play that are much more worth the time and effort to invest on.

I disagree with this.

Heavensward and Shadowbringers are 2 of the best Final Fantasy stories they've ever told.

Some of the best RPGs of the last decade from a story telling perspective, not even accounting for all the other positives about the game

So how does that potion character boost work? I have a couple of old characters around level 20-25, but don't feel like messing around with ARR. Can I just start with Heavensward after the boost?

there's 2 different things. the story skip, and a level boost

level boost gets you a level 60 but completes none of the quests

story skip completes the quests so you can move into the newer stuff, but doesn't level a character for you

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yeah I do want to try it out sometime, but...I....just don't want to pay monthly. Any chance it'll go free to play?

Samstrike

Oct 27, 2017
I have the base game with the first two expansions since last year but I didn't start it yet. I have two weeks off at the end of july so I'm thinking of finally using my free one month.

I'm just not sure what class to play. I usually like to play a mage class but I want to play mostly solo and I'd prefer using a class who is gonna have an easy time in solo and won't have trouble finding a party if I need to. What class/job would you recommend playing?

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Let me know when they get rid of the subscription fee. No way am I paying anywhere near $10/month to play any game. For $10/month you can get Game Pass and play over 200 games...and even that is a little pricey, but worth it. For one game though? Nah. That business model has got to die.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Yeah I do want to try it out sometime, but...I....just don't want to pay monthly. Any chance it'll go free to play?
Let me know when they get rid of the subscription fee. No way am I paying anywhere near $10/month to play any game. For $10/month you can get Game Pass and play over 200 games...and even that is a little pricey, but worth it. For one game though? Nah. That business model has got to die.
I see this sentiment a lot and while I used to share it when I was younger, you really are paying for a genuine service in this game. An expansion doesn't drop and then you just get hotfixes once or twice a year afterwards, they continue to provide substantial updates/events/story patches to bridge the gap between one expansion to another. You really get what you pay into.

That being said unless you buy a house there's zero detriment to stopping and going with your sub.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to justify a game with a monthly subscription, as I tend to play things pretty casually. It's a shame, as I think I'd probably like FFXIV as a 'comfort food' sort of game, that I'll keep going back to for years to come, but if I'm paying £10 a month (plus the cost of the game), it feels like throwing money away to only play it for a few hours at a time here and there.
Same. I don't know if I could ever justify a subscription for a game again. Especially one you have to pay for up front. It sucks, because I'd be interested in this if it was either F2P or B2P.

farcrysam

Prophet of Regret
Nov 1, 2017
i can afford it and am heavily considering jumping back in with the release of the new expansion (i had a 20something Ninja lalafell a few months ago but had to cancel) but honestly my biggest gripe is not having friends to play with :(

even if it can be played single player it can get lonely out there fam.
I know your pain started playing it five days before The new expansion Been enjoying it so far. But not having anyone to play with it gets to you After a while.

farcrysam

Prophet of Regret
Nov 1, 2017
Game pass for $10 is a great deal and not pricey at all. Also $10 for an MMO is different from game pass

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not ever paying £9 a month for a single game. I only have so much time for gaming and I play other games too.

Especially not when I've got to pay for the game in the first place.

Also from what I'm told certain progress is time gated too, so if I did get a big amount of free time at once I'm still limited in what I can do. That's F2P shit.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd love to get back in but there were some fights that required a party. I don't mind grinding, I don't mind wandering. But make me wait to do what I want to do and I am out. I think I got somewhere into heavensward.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
"It gets better after 30 hours"

giphy.gif

Life's too short and there are too many good games to play for that.
Yeah that's never a good selling point lol

Have to buy it + subscription
Never nope'd out faster
This is the reason why i never played it even when my friends were really into it and pestering me to join.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone ever have issues with the free trial on PS4? How does it

A friend of mine has been having difficulty in accessing in game with the free trial. He set up an account and password, but he's saying he isn't able to type his user name and it defaults to his PSN name.

I'm unfamiliar with how the trial works. Does he need to register anything via Mog Station? He says that the site says he needs a registration code. Any help would be appreciated, as I fear this is already souring his experience. Square Enix customer support doesn't seem to be much help either and their responses are slow.

Selane

Oct 27, 2017
I tried it for the first time this week. It's pretty fun, but fucking lol at not being allowed to make a character on the same server as my friends. Might actually keep playing it if I was allowed to play with my friends, but as it is I doubt I'll bother setting up a subscription after my free month runs out.

I like how their solution to overcrowding due to a new expansion is "let's disable new character creation on every server". Great way to pick up new players, what a joke.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried to get into the game twice but the beginning and thinking about the time commitment absolutely paralyzes me and I never play much in the free trials.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
That's the only other MMO I've actually played besides ESO. I've been a top ranked DD on the ESO (EU) leaderboards and tried FF XIV as a tank (Darkblade I think). One thing that I noticed how incredibly good the story is for an MMO and I had a blast with it.

The one downside was that even in normal dungeons people would get a bit upset with me not always aggroing all adds in stressful situations. Also some of the dungeon mechanics are quite harsh, so I always had to look them up beforehand. After a while it became as stressful as ESO to me and too much of an investment... yes the community is nice but demanding.

While in ESO all content aside from Vet & Hardmode raids or DLC dungeons doesn't even require correct roles, nor are mechanics an issue. In FF XIV I felt like even normal content is quite hard without proper knowledge. It's also probably because the tank role is more demanding than DPS but I was still sad when I realized this wasn't something I could play just casually.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
People are really selling this game hard of late lol.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
FFXIV is everything I want FF to be, but the online part just keeps me from playing. It doesn't really matter that it's got a friendly community, the very fact that you have to play with other people and the fact that it's structured like an MMO means I can never play it. I really just want them to make a single-player entry similar in tone and intention as XIV.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Game pass for $10 is a great deal and not pricey at all. Also $10 for an MMO is different from game pass

Maybe price/value is a subjective thing. $10 for an MMO is different from GP for sure, but you can play ESO on GP and not have to also dish out an extra $10/month for a sub, so $10 a month for an MMO is not even the same thing as $10 a month for an MMO.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Here's my biggest qualm right now. I actually played a ton of FF14 before the first expansion released. I'm not sure why, just kinda fell off/had no time. I want to get back in, but I know the actual story is one of the bigger aspects of the game, and I forgot a lot of it, but I really don't want to redo a lot of those tedious story missions again. Would I just be better off watching all the cutscenes and whatnot on Youtube and starting with Shadowbringer content right away or how exactly is that recommended?

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I've been intermittently subbing for single months and slowly chipping away at the mountain of tedious ARR quests over the past couple years (I have very little patience for boredom in games nowadays). I'm finally getting closer to Heavensward, but only now am I starting to realize that I may have made a mistake going with a tank, lol. It was a role I had never played in an MMO and I thought it'd be an interesting thing to try, and it is, but as a primarily solo player matching in for all group activities, I'm really not sure I want to deal with the pressure of Not Fucking Up in such a pivotal role. I know you can switch at pretty much any time, but I wish I hadn't already spent so much time on this class 😭

This game has to be the best example I've encountered of fan enthusiasm convincing me to stick with something. Most games I would have abandoned multiple times over by now, but I follow so many people who are just so damn enthusiastic about the game that it's infectious lol.

Protmind

Oct 27, 2017
If you make a new account with a different email and new square enix account you get a link to download the free trial on your PS4. I did this a few weeks ago and have been able to play with my old account from when I tried it on PS3.

I played on the PS4 beta and I guess that was preventing me from doing the free trial. I'll try this out and see if it works. Thanks!

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
I really want to get into this game and I don't mind having to get all of the expansions, it's really just the monthly sub that makes me feel like I should commit to playing FFXIV to make it worth it. Since I tend to hop from one newly-bought game to another in the next month or so, I feel like I'd put my money to waste if I put it off for at least a week (or not making "enough" story progress). Maybe I'll try to find a time for it in the lull of games I want to get.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just got back into the game after taking a 5-6 month break and I regret not finishing up the 7th Astral Quests at that point. I had hit around midway and just got fed up with the back to back fetch quests that weren't exciting. Once I got back into it though I powered through it with my SO and we managed to finish it up yesterday. The ending to it was magnificent and boosted me to get past Heavensward now. Heard that this is the pinnacle of the storyline which I really can't wait to finish.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I got into it near the end of May. Right now I am about halfway through Heavensward. I will agree ARR and the patch story content after it are a real slog. Other than a few cool moments, mainly towards the end of the in between patch story, I can see many people being turned away by the base game. I personally just powered through it. I am glad with being rewarded with HW's story which is amazing. I hear Shadowbringer's story is even better. Still got a while to go till then.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Im one of those ppl that dropped fairly early, like lvl 20 i think.

I feel like i know the answers already but:

Would i like this game if i dont really like mmos? (Grinding levels, repetitiveness, that general sense that im "working" rather than "playing" which is usually exacerbated by the existence of a monthly sub, etc.)

Does the gameplay exist to service the story (that's usually a requisite for me when thinking about good game stories) or is the story more a flavor to accompany the grind? For example, kill "x" amount of "y" stuff kills a lot of momentum for me and is usually pretty jarring when im trying to move a plot forward.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Well thanks to a lot of hospital visits I can't afford Shadowbringers anymore and I can't pay for the monthly. Even at the cheaper option.

Dang it lol. I'm not gonna be able to join in for a long time.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The main problem here is time.

If you don't pay for the expensive content skip, it takes dozens and dozens of hours to get through the MSQs.

I'm currently bringing a level 61 PLD throug mh the end of HW and it's been an utter slog, not to mention attempting to raise other jobs too.

The game itself is incredibly fun, and if you enjoy the story content there is TONNES of it, but if you're interested in end game first and foremost, it's either a huge time sink or extra monetary cost.

I know this is an MMO so time sink is the name of the game, but for new players who want to catch up it can be gruelling.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can vouch for how friendly the FFXIV community is. Right now it feels like 1/100 is toxic and that 1 person is "niced to silence"(lol) by like 2-5 non-toxic players. I am not at any current content though so that could be a reason for the rarity.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The one downside was that even in normal dungeons people would get a bit upset with me not always aggroing all adds in stressful situations. Also some of the dungeon mechanics are quite harsh, so I always had to look them up beforehand. After a while it became as stressful as ESO to me and too much of an investment... yes the community is nice but demanding.

While in ESO all content aside from Vet & Hardmode raids or DLC dungeons doesn't even require correct roles, nor are mechanics an issue. In FF XIV I felt like even normal content is quite hard without proper knowledge. It's also probably because the tank role is more demanding than DPS but I was still sad when I realized this wasn't something I could play just casually.

Yeah I'm noticing this a lot more going into Stormblood's post-game content, so many of the boss mechanics aren't very intuitive unless you look up guides beforehand. I imagine that was fun the first week the raids were out, with people wiping left and right as they figured things out, but right now I feel a severe pressure to study the entire thing before jumping in, and that's playing DPS, I can't imagine how frustrating it is as a tank.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I can vouch for how friendly the FFXIV community is. Right now it feels like 1/100 is toxic and that 1 person is "niced to silence"(lol) by like 2-5 non-toxic players. I am not at any current content though so that could be a reason for the rarity.

The bad attitiudes sometimes come out in the 24 man dungeons but I rarely see it outside of that

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
I pumped like 160h into it when the last expansion came out and was super motivated but I didn't even get past ARR yet. I adored the game but I dunno, I think I can't really deal with the time investment.
But it's sooo good though :(

Kurumi

Oct 26, 2017
I was playing FFXIV for a bit. Like a month ago. Watched the Shadowbringers trailer and decided to give it a try. Actually had planned on buying the expansion. But I got so overwhelmed. There's just so much stuff to do. Too much for me.

Maybe if I had given it a try before all that content came it wouldn't be so bad but damn. I want to just level my class. But then you got to level all these other jobs on top like cooking, or botany etc.

And with other games coming out this year that I want to play I just don't have the time. Maybe I'll give it another shot again somewhere down the line and finish the story. I was getting into that. But right now? It's just too much man.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Im one of those ppl that dropped fairly early, like lvl 20 i think.

I feel like i know the answers already but:

Would i like this game if i dont really like mmos? (Grinding levels, repetitiveness, that general sense that im "working" rather than "playing" which is usually exacerbated by the existence of a monthly sub, etc.)

Does the gameplay exist to service the story (that's usually a requisite for me when thinking about good game stories) or is the story more a flavor to accompany the grind?

I'm like you, I never really got MMOs, until I played FFXIV. But in these things, YMMV. I agree with OP that the gameplay only gets better the further you progress, the more you unlock new skills, and the more complex the raids and trials become.

The story is absolutely a core appeal of the game next to the gameplay. Progress in the story is mandatory and is how you unlock more and more of the game. By the time you get to shadowbringers, the team has gotten amazingly good at weaving both the core MMO gameplay and the story together, to give incredible boss fights and sequences. It's a FF RPG in every sense of the word.

One thing to note is that the developers have smoothen progression so that you can basically beeline through the main story only, without bothering about grinding side quests and such.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Best MMO to play right now by a country mile, and not at all expensive. Neither in sub price nor in initial purchase. Also absolutely zero pay 2 win and even very light on paid cosmetics (even if I'd rather have none at all).

Love it, love it, love it.

I only started making real progress in the game after Stormblood came out (second expansion, third campaign) so I know what it's like to jump into the game super late starting at A Realm Reborn (base game, first campaign). Still love it.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry OP but I don't think I'll ever play a game that requires me to pay a monthly subscription on top of the cost of the game itself just so it can grant me the privilege of being able to play it. I'd feel like I need to sink as many hours into it as humanly possible just so I'm getting my money's worth and I'm just not interested in that kind of pressure.

It's a shame though, cause the game does look really cool.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I was playing FFXIV for a bit. Like a month ago. Watched the Shadowbringers trailer and decided to give it a try. Actually had planned on buying the expansion. But I got so overwhelmed. There's just so much stuff to do. Too much for me.

Maybe if I had given it a try before all that content came it wouldn't be so bad but damn. I want to just level my class. But then you got to level all these other jobs on top like cooking, or botany etc.

And with other games coming out this year that I want to play I just don't have the time. Maybe I'll give it another shot again somewhere down the line and finish the story. I was getting into that. But right now? It's just too much man.

You don't "got to do" any of that man, just pick a combat job and you can play the entire storyline through to the end without touching anything else.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I really don't blame people for feeling burned out in the ARR areas. The story takes a while to set up and level 1-50 is basically a tutorial. And there's a lot to do; you start one thing then move on to the next without completing and getting rewarded. And some feel like they have to rush just so they can "catch up" to the current content.

I don't really have an advice besides take your time and enjoy the really polished version of the game out right now. Maybe you might start to understand why this game get a lot of praise after a while.

Here's my biggest qualm right now. I actually played a ton of FF14 before the first expansion released. I'm not sure why, just kinda fell off/had no time. I want to get back in, but I know the actual story is one of the bigger aspects of the game, and I forgot a lot of it, but I really don't want to redo a lot of those tedious story missions again. Would I just be better off watching all the cutscenes and whatnot on Youtube and starting with Shadowbringer content right away or how exactly is that recommended?
You still have to go through all the previous story content to access shadowbringer. If you want to skip those and play shadowbringer, you can buy the story skip tickets for like 20 bucks each expansion or something. Then just watch a recap of the story on youtube, or watch all the cutscenes from the inn's cutscene book.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
One of those game I would really love to get into, but simply cannot justify paying 12 euro a month with so maaaaaaaaaaany other games available and occupying my time now or in the future. Simply a "waste" of money.
I hear you on this one. What I do is sub for a month or two every year, or right after an expansion releases, to play through all the new content. I fit it in around large content drops when lots of other people will be playing and it'll be quite active, and between other game releases when I've otherwise got some downtime in my gaming hobbies. It's honestly a pretty great value doing it this way, you get a load of gaming time and content for your money, and the Era guild is always populated with friendly people to play with.

It really is a great game, even the base ARR is solid if a little unevenly paced, though it improves greatly as it goes forward. Heavensward and Shadowbringers are incredibly strong and top tier Final Fantasy games.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
You still have to go through all the previous story content to access shadowbringer. If you want to skip those and play shadowbringer, you can buy the story skip tickets for like 20 bucks each expansion or something. Then just watch a recap of the story on youtube, or watch all the cutscenes from the inn's cutscene book.
Might do that honestly, I wanna experience the story, but not the actual questing parts from scratch again. Thanks for the heads up.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I bought in a couple days ago, but haven't had much of a chance to really get into it other than creating a character. I'm looking forward to digging in even though I've heard that ARR is a slog. I haven't played a MMO in 5-6 years, so this will definitely be interesting.

MMOs are definitely tough for adults though given that they can sometimes require a large block of time to do something, rather than being easy to pick up and play and put back down as necessary. I have work, a wife, and a 4 month old, so I'll definitely be testing the "do I have time for this" idea. Usually I have a block of a couple hours at night after everyone goes to sleep to play games or whatever, so we'll see how well that works for something like this.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could like this game, but I've never enjoyed MMO gameplay. It does sound decently cool though for those that are into it.