• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I moved my PS5 out of my ikea entertainment unit and put it vertically next to my tv, never put a machine vertically before. My speeds went from 30mbps to 150-180mbps and the machine definitely runs cooler. Yesterday when I put my hand on the back left part of the machine it was very toasty inside the entertainment centre. There is an small opening in there, but it's still a mostly enclosed space. The PS5 being so large doesn't leave a lot of empty space around the machine.

This is my new setup:

B0293117-6-ABB-40-C5-9-E83-5-A79-FDE873-D1.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the CPU was throttling if it affected your download speeds.

You previously had it on the bottom shelf where the Switch is now? I would have thought that there's enough room for airflow behind it.

Edit: Maybe not? Kind of confused if temperature affects download speeds in this case. Could it be some metal bits in the left and right shelves blocking the wifi signal?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
It looks so much better vertically it's not even funny.

TheJerit

Oct 28, 2017
Are you using wifi or hard-wired connection? If the former that could explain it as well (better positioning in relation to the signal). Although that's quite the jump...

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Something about this seems way off. It looks like there was still plenty of opening...

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I moved my PS5 out of my ikea entertainment unit and put it vertically next to my tv, never put a machine vertically before. My speeds went from 30mbps to 150-180mbps and the machine definitely runs cooler. Yesterday when I put my hand on the back left part of the machine it was very toasty inside the entertainment centre. There is an small opening in there, but it's still a mostly enclosed space. The PS5 being so large doesn't leave a lot of empty space around the machine.

This is my new setup:

What is that, a TV for a--oh, that's a PS5. What is that, a TV for giants!?

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same Ikea thing and love how the PS5 fits horizonally. I'm getting 175Mbps down...

BasedKiliK

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are you on a 5 Ghz network? If so, that Wi-Fi frequency doesn't penetrate materials well and speeds can drop just from lack of line of sight with the router. Having the PS5 within the entertainment center and not on top could've been causing interference.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Did you have the PS5 in one of the enclosed sections with the doors, or was it where the Switch is in the pic? Because if I were you, I'd swap the Switch and PS5 spots. Looks like there's plenty of room in the back there for PS5 airflow where the Switch is, but you can always take that back panel out too.

waddledee123

May 22, 2018
Have mine behind my TV from fear of there not being enough air flow. It doesn't look as good as it would if it were under my TV but I'd rather not chance it
edit: was it in the bottom section where the switch is or the section above it?

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
If putting it on that shelf caused problems I'd imagine it's going to cause problems for a lot of people. It looks like it should be enough airflow in the back.

GOOCHY

Oct 29, 2017
Do like I did, mine is installed in an entertainment center horizontally, but it didn't have any ventilation in the rear.

I installed an AC Infinity S1 fan in the back and now it runs cool -

The fan can run off of USB power so pick up a USB hub, connect it to your PS5, connect the fan to the hub, and you're off and running. The fan powers down whenever the PS5 goes into rest mode. You can change the settings in the PS5 to whatever you wish. Mine is set to 3 hours.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have my PS5 standing vertical on a random tiny Ikea table next to my entertainment system because of this (won't fit on the actual TV stand vertical).

My roommate's cats are obsessed with looking at it lol.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
It's really not a good idea to put these consoles in closed spaces. I can't say this enough it's just a bad idea. They need all the breathing room possible.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, question

6da62c9d-9f01-490e-8830-b5c5faf2000a_1.1b90e4c333a09f985a6e93c09f6fb17d.jpeg

I have a TV stand similar to the above pic. I currently have my PS4 on the middle shelf. Having the PS5 horizontal in the same spot should give it enough air to breathe, right?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I bet you have a bunch of coiled cables interfering with the WiFi, especially with the PS5 so low to the ground

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, I have the exact same ikea TV stand and I just had a weird issue turning it back on from full off. Turned it on today and got some weird green bars, then no video, and had to boot into safe mode to get it back up. I did notice it was toasty, and I played a ton of it yesterday. Had it off all day today til just now, and happened to see this thread.

Definitely moving out of the stand now, and placing it vertical in its own area away from the TV. Hope that prevents any future problems.

Oct 25, 2017
My wired speed was really fast when I had it in my Ikea Besta, but I've seen so many posts today saying not to leave it in an enclosed space so I took it out for now. To take out the back board I'd need to move the TV to get the top of the unit off and I'm not attempting that by myself. I may just cut the board out instead if I need to. Or get a tiny stand to keep the PS5 vertical....

I can keep all the accessories and games in the unit instead lol

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
You can put it there, but probably from top to bottom oriented, not side to side.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the CPU was throttling if it affected your download speeds.

You previously had it on the bottom shelf where the Switch is now? I would have thought that there's enough room for airflow behind it.

Edit: Maybe not? Kind of confused if temperature affects download speeds in this case. Could it be some metal bits in the left and right shelves blocking the wifi signal?
Downloading is actually cpu intensive. It's because the cpu is decompressing data as it downloads. That's why if you have a slow cpu on a pc even with a fast internet connection you wont get anywhere near max speeds.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I'm thinking about putting mine in an enclosed space. It's a bdi media center, it would be enclosed but there are vents for air underneath the console

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Do like I did, mine is installed in an entertainment center horizontally, but it didn't have any ventilation in the rear.

I installed an AC Infinity S1 fan in the back and now it runs cool -

The fan can run off of USB power so pick up a USB hub, connect it to your PS5, connect the fan to the hub, and you're off and running. The fan powers down whenever the PS5 goes into rest mode. You can change the settings in the PS5 to whatever you wish. Mine is set to 3 hours.
I did the same, just haven't set up the fans yet. I'm just planning on having them redirect the heat away from the back. I have an old IKEA entertainment center that is pretty big and should be fine for horizontal setup (4" clearance on each side, 6" above, 10" in rear).

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 51cm wide, 18cm high shelf in my entertainment unit with totally open back and I am now thinking if I should move it elsewhere...

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
I feel like this is the type of console you want to setup like OP's, out in the open air instead of choking inside an enclosed space.

OP
OP
MercuryLS

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like a low key flex thread lol.

Nice setup though, very clean.

Not at all, my setup is pretty simple lol nothing too crazy there.

Just wanted to give some advice from my experience. The wifi stuff might other factors beyond just moving it, but getting it out of the entertainment unit has definitely helped with how hot the unit was getting, that space isn't even super enclosed, but being out in the open like it is now definitely helps a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
Downloading is actually cpu intensive. It's because the cpu is decompressing data as it downloads. That's why if you have a slow cpu on a pc even with a fast internet connection you wont get anywhere near max speeds.
Yeah that was my initial thought but Stregas mentioned that the console probably would just shut down if temperatures were getting out of hand, which makes sense since unlike a PC, the variable clock rate is predictive based on task rather than reacting to the temperature sensors.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

This is my new setup:

Looks good!

I have had my main consoles with room to breathe since I got a PS4. Since I got my 4K TV in 2017, they are behind it.

imgur.com

PS4 Pro and Xbox One X

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Dinoric

Oct 28, 2017

This is my new setup:

I'm really curious what size your tv is now?

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I don't have a picture handy, but my PS3 Slim used to juuuust fit underneath my old Samsung HDTV by a tiny margin. So it was on top of my entertainment center from 2009 to 2014, and not in any of the enclosed areas.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the PSA OP.

Man the PS5 is really big. I don't dig how it looks on top of the stand next to the TV. Its just not very neat.

But I guess a beast like that needs good airflow.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Hmm, question

6da62c9d-9f01-490e-8830-b5c5faf2000a_1.1b90e4c333a09f985a6e93c09f6fb17d.jpeg

I have a TV stand similar to the above pic. I currently have my PS4 on the middle shelf. Having the PS5 horizontal in the same spot should give it enough air to breathe, right?

I just bought a TV stand that looks just like this. I have my PS5 on the bottom shelf, on the left side. Regardless wherever you put it it should be good. My previous stand, first day I used my PS5 it was enclosed and it was on fire along with my Miles disc. Since I bought this new stand which is open from both sides it's felt a hell of a lot cooler.

watham

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama, USA
Please don't keep either of these behemoths in your console if it is enclosed. They both clearly went to great lengths to keep them cool, giant fans in both, but that's all for not if they can't get the airflow.