• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I just got my Series S and Series X yesterday. I noticed I only had 300GB of data left on my plan (I have a 1.25 TB plan) for the month so I upgraded to unlimited for the month and will downgrade next month.

If you are on a data cap plan make sure you check so you don't get charged overage fees.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Consider writing to your local congress to ban artificial predatory limitations on services that you already pay for, call the FCC and tell them that Ajit Pai can burn in hell etc. etc.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to be rude, but this is hardly something worth putting as a PSA. Everyone understands this, and those who can will already have it, but many don't have access to or can't afford it.

It's not that people don't get it...

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Consider writing to your local congress to ban artificial predatory limitations on services that you already pay for, call the FCC and tell them that Ajit Pai can burn in hell etc. etc.
lol right. It's laughable the shit these companies are getting away with. Especially Comcast.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
it costs 50$ to uncap my insanely fast speeds of 2 megabytes of download per second. at the moment even jumping up my bills by a bit can hit me hard :/

sorry OP but that's not a viable option for me.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I am in thr same boat. I pre-planned and downloaded games over several months.

But even now all these game updates are killng me.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Where i work we do not have unlimited but 6 Terabytes which is so much you should never realistically hit it. I would presume most ISPs are the same

Nah, at least not in the US. Some offer unlimited as part of an internet + TV package (like AT&T for instance) and have an option to pay like X amount for unlimited, but there are definitely ISPs with just no upgrade options

Oct 30, 2017
I feel lucky I have Verizon Fios which doesn't have data caps as the only other ISP I could get would be Comcast otherwise.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Thank fuck for my frontier fiber. Couldn't imagine having to deal with a cap For how much I use the internet for literally everything in my home.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I just go over when I want, and raise hell if they charge me any fees which they will promptly remove just to get me off the phone

Fuck data caps

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
consider giving more money to comcast for an arbitrary cap that they put on people to squeeze more money of them

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd spend just as much paying for the fee they're gonna charge you for changing your service.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Sure, I'll just call AT&T right now and ask for unlimited data instead of my 150GB cap that costs $10 extra per 50GB over...

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The lack of data caps are legit the only reason I'm still with AT&T's fiber and their awful modem.

Most ISPs have a 1TB data cap, and that's if you're lucky.
Have you ever Tried buying your own modem or they dont have great modems you could use? Because I def buyt all my stuff on the cable side because of how shitty their stuff it.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Have you ever Tried buying your own modem or they dont have great modems you could use? Because I def buyt all my stuff on the cable side because of how shitty their stuff it.
AT&T doesn't give that option. You're locked into their modem. That's the main advantage that cable has. Most cable providers let you use your own docsis modem. AT&T just sucks in that regard.

Oct 27, 2017
Worst PSA ever.

OP, I'm going to stick my neck out and assume that everyone on this videogame forum is well aware that unlimited data/no data caps is the best option and if it was even remotely feasible for them to have a broadband plan with no data cap they already would.

If they are stuck with capped broadband then it's because they have no other viable option so at best this PSA is useless, at worst it's just rubbing salt.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
PSA: I wish I could write my congressman, but he's a Trump-lover so he'll suck Comcast's toes whenever they want.

Even one of my previous jobs had business internet and got slowed down after we had been streaming so many videos for the month (last year).

American ISPs are garbage and deserve to be buried with fines and regulation.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The lack of data caps are legit the only reason I'm still with AT&T's fiber and their awful modem.
Can you please elaborate on this? I am supposed to be getting their fiber service sometime in the next couple weeks. Currently on a 400MB plan with Spectrum, also without a cap, and it has been fine, but I can get gigabit fiber for the same price.

konky

Dec 11, 2017
If you have xfinity they give 1 courtesy month a year. If you still have it you can download as much as you want without any extra fees for that month. It also seems they have lowered the price for removing the data cap to $30.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Can you please elaborate on this? I am supposed to be getting their fiber service sometime in the next couple weeks. Currently on a 400MB plan with Spectrum, also without a cap, and it has been fine, but I can get gigabit fiber for the same price.
Now, I can't speak for all areas, but in my area AT&T has no data cap on their gig fiber plan. So I get 1000 up / 1000 down with no data caps for about 90 a month. The only real caveat is you're tied into their piece of shit modem which legit has the worst web UI I've ever used. Once you get past that, the service is great.

I need no data caps. Literally need. I have a dev server at home that I constantly remote into from work, I have four Nest cameras and a Nest doorbell for home security (that's about 500gb upload a month right there), I host a Plex media server so I can stream my media from anywhere and I back that up to the cloud, and I do a crap ton of gaming.

A data cap would end me.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Lol PSA: If you're poor, consider being rich instead.
Some people don't have the option or the extra money to uncap.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Now, I can't speak for all areas, but in my area AT&T has no data cap on their gig fiber plan. So I get 1000 up / 1000 down with no data caps for about 90 a month. The only real caveat is you're tied into their piece of shit modem which legit has the worst web UI I've ever used. Once you get past that, the service is great.
Thanks. I also will not have a data cap with AT&T fiber and they are including HBO Max with it. I use a Nest Wifi mesh router and have heard that it can be a challenge to get their modem to work in bridge mode. Being stuck with a crappy wifi router has been a bigger concern for me.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
This is part of the reason why I am paying $500 for my PS5. This de facto disc drive tax is worth it when you weigh it against Comcast's fees for exceeding a terabyte one too many times.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Just for perspective, how much does a month of no cap, decent speed internet typically cost in the US?