• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Per threads on the Steam fourms HOTAS flight sticks do not work on the PC version of Ace Combat 7.

Hopefully they patch in support or a community fix is found.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
HOTAS isn't good for this kind of game lmao

but yeah it would suck to get a peripheral for it and not have it working. Not sure if they listed compatibility support or not. It sucks that people are reviewing one of the best games in a long time because it doesn't support an uncommon peripheral.

Bigger issue is that apparently you can't run it in 4K???? Saw some reviews indicating that.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017

but yeah it would suck to get a peripheral for it and not have it working. Not sure if they listed compatibility support or not. It sucks that people are reviewing one of the best games in a long time because it doesn't support an uncommon peripheral.

Bigger issue is that apparently you can't run it in 4K???? Saw some reviews indicating that.

Nvidia says 4K support is being patched in. Flight sticks are not uncommon especially on PC.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, my HOTAS X, which is exactly the same as the one they sold for PS4 Doesn't work at all natively. You can probably do something with Steam Input to get it to work but at that point you'd be breaking the control scheme

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can you clarify for me the difference between HOTAS and a normal Joystick?

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever

I play 4K/60 FPS just fine. I think it's the UI that isn't scaling. I believe digital foundry noted this on the console versions as well.

Deleted member 28967

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yep my x52 doesn't work sigh, can't get my 360 or xbox one controller working either double sigh, oh well the landing strip looks nice in 16:9 on my ultrawide

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
"Once you change game to full screen close the game. Once you reload the 4K resolution will then be selectable."
Steam comment on 4K

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What? I can't believe that. I was considering buying it since I had one I use for Elite Dangerous.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Not supporting it is inexcusable.

That said, as a seasoned PC flight simmer, the game plays a lot better with a standard controller. HOTAS was a pain in the ass to use on the PS4, I abandoned it after a few missions.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This is odd. Although I suppose the reason is that the Ace Combat games aren't true Flight Sims or strive for super realistic dogfight mechanics and have more an arcadey approach to their gameplay.

Aren't HOTAS typically more suited for Flight Sims? In that respect I suppose a HOTAS control method would be somewhat simplistic for Ace Combat much in the matter of the original After Burner Arcade cabs or even the original Air / Ace Combat arcade machine.

I'd say the lack of HOTAS support is because Namco didn't plan for it. Unlike the case of PS2 version of Ace Combat 5 having a specially designed HOTAS controller made for the game.

ps2-ace-combat-5-flight-stick.jpg

I suppose because the lack of Flight Sticks on PS4 / XB1, I guess Namco thought it wasn't worth implementing a control scheme on PC? Maybe a future patch perhaps?

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I haven't had any issues with my Xbox one controller, or 4K. The game launched in 4K even, right off the bat. I went to settings and messed around anyway to see resolution scaling and performance difference between fullscreen and borderless (negligible) and 4K was always selectable for me. So I am quite curious why it wouldn't work for others.

Only thing I can think of is that my PC is hooked up to a 4K TV, and my 1080ti and TV are quite compatible. I also don't use Windows scaling/dpi setting.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Can you clarify for me the difference between HOTAS and a normal Joystick?

HOTAS means Hands On Trottle and Stick where the concept is that most of the important buttons for flight and combat can be found on either the joystick or the throttle.

With only a joystick you would need to frequently use the keyboard for more command inputs, usually.

Not supporting it is inexcusable.

That said, as a seasoned PC flight simmer, the game plays a lot better with a standard controller. HOTAS was a pain in the ass to use on the PS4, I abandoned it after a few missions.

Yeah I mentioned this in the other threads, you are actually being more inefficient with a HOTAS in an arcade game.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I understand that this is a problem, but it's weird to me to see all the reviews on Steam be negative over this. Was it promised before hand?

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that this is a problem, but it's weird to me to see all the reviews on Steam be negative over this. Was it promised before hand?

How do you not include full HOTAS support in one of the most anticipated action flight games in years? Take the time to actually properly develop the PC version.

It deserves to be trashed in Steam reviews.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw that the game is being review-bombed on Steam over this and other nitpicking. Pathetic.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw that the game is being review-bombed on Steam over this and other nitpicking. Pathetic.
Ehi man, the act of ''review bombing'' is another thing. People here are complaining about some serious issues about the game.
It's crazy that these days even giving a negative review to a game because of real and established issues is considered pathetic, wtf

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
How do you not include full HOTAS support in one of the most anticipated action flight games in years? Take the time to actually properly develop the PC version.

It deserves to be trashed in Steam reviews.
But it's a controller? The rest of the game plays fine (I assume based on the fact it's the only complaint I see). I'm sorry, I'm not an enthusiast so I don't quite get it.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Pretty much.

The point of a review is to judge the merits of the product itself to educate other buyers if the game may align to their tastes in the type of game they may like to play. Not to be used as a platform to lambast the dev or publishers for something that has nothing to with the quality of the game eschewing the reason for giving a review in the first place.

Far too many folks leaving a review for their own personal soapbox instead of actually leaving a genuine criticism to educate others on the product itself. People bitching about the lack of HOTAS in Ace Combat 7 Steam reviews is an example of this.

Hell the game isn't even a Combat Flight Sim and is more aligned to an Arcadey sort of Flight Combat game.

There are any number of legitimate reasons for a game to get review bombed: removal of mod support, always online DRM that stops working, addition of pay-to-win DLC, a terrible balance patch for multiplayer, etc. So how do you make a decision about which review bombs are good ones and which ones aren't? I can understand the gripe of the lack of HOTAS in AC7 because similar but it's not like the devs promised such support in the first place.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its getting its deserved reviews.
Ah yes, certainly the game is deserving of in-depth accounts such as:
What kind of joke is this? No HOTAS support? Extremely Disappointed
You cant custom map your own flight stick. You need to purchase their branded flight stick for this game. Literal trash.

WTF are you smoking Bandai? WTF.
How do you make a fighter game without HOTAS support?
I could go on, but it only gets more pathetic.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I can understand players wanting to use their HOTAS with this game though, and presumably it should be an easy fix on BN's side.

That being said after a few missions I reverted back to the controller anyway.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
So how do you make a decision about which review bombs are good ones and which ones aren't? Something never promised with the game releasing such as HOTAS support isn't this.
Thrustmaster has an official Ace Combat 7 edition HOTAS stick for PC and Xbox One.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/t-flight-hotas-one-ace-combat-7-limited-edition

I mean sure, it doesn't specifically say "Ace Combat 7 has HOTAS support on PC", but that's pretty damn misleading to offer their license for an unsupported joystick.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh so now reviews are not worth it when a game is broken and doesnt offer stuff...no wonder you love the epic store.
Gotta say, I played it on PS4 and couldn't for the life of me find any aspect of it I'd describe as broken. Must be because "I love the epic store".
1000% valid reviews.
Yes, they don't talk about the game per se, its missions, variety of aircraft, multiplayer modes and so on, simply dismissing it because one controller option is not available. Valid AF.

BubbaMc

Oct 30, 2017
Gotta say, I played it on PS4 and couldn't for the life of me find any aspect of it I'd describe as broken. Must be because "I love the epic store".

Yes, they don't talk about the game per se, its missions, variety of aircraft, multiplayer modes and so on, simply dismissing it because one controller option is not available. Valid AF.

If you only intended on using a HOTAS in the first place, then yes it's valid AF.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Does Steam require a certain amount of playtime before you can post a review?

The thing is in the case for Review bombers. You need to own a game on Steam before being allowed to review it. Which means people were buying the game leaving their negative review without actually playing the game, then taking advantage of Steam's refund policy.

That is my issue with review bombs. They muddy the waters to sift through garbage for those looking for actual impressions of the game itself in terms of mechanics, modes, performance issues. A lack of control scheme isn't inherently a flaw.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
You can use HOTAS for Assault Horizon on the PC, but it takes a bit of fiddling with the control mapping and not all HOTAS works well, especially with sensitivity. For instance the helicopters are essentially FPS characters. In most cases though using a HOTAS is detrimental to gameplay haha.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I'd say the lack of HOTAS support is because Namco didn't plan for it. Unlike the case of PS2 version of Ace Combat 5 having a specially designed HOTAS controller made for the game.

Ace Combat 7 not only was planned for HOTAS, but it ships with HOTAS support on PS4, including a pack-in. The HOTAS is made by Hori, which also made a nearly identical stick for Ace Combat 5 and 6. Specific double-button combinations in the game (like flares and stalls) have dedicated buttons on the HOTAS in ideal positions. The HOTAS even has a switch on it to work on PS3 and PC.

Honestly surprised that it wouldn't work on PC, and I do wonder if the Hori model works - would be an expensive test though - but if not, that means either the port was outsourced, rushed, or they accidentally broke support in the patching process.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. A flight stick may not be the most "efficient" way to play Ace Combat but it's a hell of a lot of fun to do so. I had a way better time playing HAWX with a HOTAS this year than I did playing Ace Combat 4 with a dualshock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017

Glad to see you agree they are valid af.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Ace Combat 7 not only was planned for HOTAS, but it ships with HOTAS support on PS4, including a pack-in. The HOTAS is made by Hori, which also made a nearly identical stick for Ace Combat 5 and 6. Specific double-button combinations in the game (like flares and stalls) have dedicated buttons on the HOTAS in ideal positions. The HOTAS even has a switch on it to work on PS3 and PC.

Honestly surprised that it wouldn't work on PC, and I do wonder if the Hori model works - would be an expensive test though - but if not, that means either the port was outsourced, rushed, or they accidentally broke support in the patching process.

I don't understand it then and the complaints about the lack of HOTAS on the PC version is justified. Wouldn't the official HOTAS controller be plug and play via USB, much like a Racing Wheel peripheral on console would also work on PC in the same manner

Was the PC port of AC7 handed by a outsourcing / port studio? That would explain the discrepancy in this case.