• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
HDR works decently going from my gtx1080 through denon AVR to vizio TV. The issue is it only works if drop the refresh rate to 30fps which is obviously not ideal. I'm using a 15ft hdmi cable so suspect that is the issue.

Do others have success with 60fps HDR? Can anyone recommend a longer (minimum 10 but ideally 12-15) foot cable that can support it? There are some REALLY expensive ones but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to pay that much.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Thank god HDR is indistinguishable from SDR anyway. No point bothering with this scam shit.
Battlefront 2 and Battlefield 1/5 almost look like different games with HDR enabled. The colors are much richer and the lighting is more dramatic. Night maps are actually playable and look incredible. And HDR light sabers look dead sexy.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The only problem with this is that each PC game handles its HDR implementation differently. For instance, I'm pretty sure Monster Hunter World and FFXV won't even give you an HDR option if it's not enabled in Windows, but Division 2 will.

Last edited:

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
I really haven't had much trouble with HDR on PC. If a game has an option to enable HDR in the in games menu (BF 1/5, AC Odyssey & origins, Division 2), then it works fine. For those that don't, they just require that HDR be turned on in Windows ( FH4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider).

Simple as that really. I have an X27 and have no issues.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's really messy on PC.
But if you want simple, PC is never the place to be.
Every time there is a windows update or a new Nvidia driver I hope it's going to become more predictable.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've basically given up on PC HDR at this point. It's way too much of a shit show and over 50% of the time the implementation is terrible regardless of settings.

Until it gets somewhat more standardized or simplified I'm done spending an hour + attempting to tweak my PC games with HDR support only to end up disappointed anyway.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
HDR works decently going from my gtx1080 through denon AVR to vizio TV. The issue is it only works if drop the refresh rate to 30fps which is obviously not ideal. I'm using a 15ft hdmi cable so suspect that is the issue.

Do others have success with 60fps HDR? Can anyone recommend a longer (minimum 10 but ideally 12-15) foot cable that can support it? There are some REALLY expensive ones but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to pay that much.
I'm playing Mortal Kombat 11 with HDR10 on a GTX 1080. It's connected directly into my telly though. (have done HDR at 60FPS with a few other games before as well)

Nov 5, 2017
Because of these problems, I am investing in an HDR monitor for PC gaming until shit like this gets sorted and I am assured that HDR will work 100% of the time, like with 4KHDR movies. You just put in the disc and play the content and bang! You are enjoying 4KHDR content without worrying about if it is compatible or not, it just works!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Because of these problems, I am investing in an HDR monitor for PC gaming until shit like this gets sorted and I am assured that HDR will work 100% of the time, like with 4KHDR movies. You just put in the disc and play the content and bang! You are enjoying 4KHDR content without worrying about if it is compatible or not, it just works!

I doubt That would make any difference, but at least you won't have to take any image quality, resolution or framerate hits to fit in with HDMI limitations.

You'll still have all the same issues with the different versions of DX handling stuff differently and games and GPU drivers doing weird stuff.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
My HDR works 100% of the time with the previously mentioned Nvidia settings and the Windows HDR toggle ON.

I really think it depends on the TV.

My setup is a 55 inch Sony x900e, i7 7700k, and GTX 1080 ti.

All of my HDR games (Shadow Warrior 2, REmake2, RE7, Final Fantasy XV, The Division 2, Destiny 2, Forza Horizon 4 Demo, and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice) all enable HDR automatically with the previously mentioned settings.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I just keep it on all the time, Sony 900f. Adjusting the SDR brightness while in HDR made a huge difference.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
HDR when done right is really fucking great. A lot of software and hardware stars have to align to get it working right (if at all) though, so I don't blame people for dismissing it. It's a headache more often than not.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
RGB will default to 8bit and is not true HDR. Maybe your cable doesn't have enough bandwith.

Good theory, but that's not the issue, and never was. Aside from that, and getting "fake HDR" or whatever the 8-bit implementation ends up being, it seems like the console games with HDR always end up looking better, as far as HDR is concerned anyway. I don't know if that's just how they look, or if it's still just a Windows issue with the implementation right now. Even once HDMI 2.1 becomes more mainstream, it's still up to Windows, the GPUs and developers themselves to properly use it.

I can tell from the color banding immeditely.

RE7 was a banding nightmare for me, especially in specific scenes like at the very start when looking at the laptop, or any time you end up in a dark area that had a heavy light source illuminating from the side. No amount of settings changed that, but setting the TV to "PC mode" also had side effects on the older sets. The C8 I currently have seems to work correctly in that regard, but I haven't tried out any games on it yet. For movies however, I can't have it set to PC, or SDR content has awful banding.

Thank god HDR is indistinguishable from SDR anyway. No point bothering with this scam shit.

This isn't remotely true, but I'll concede that some HDR content doesn't have an immediate "Wow factor" over the SDR counterpart. John Wick, for all of its hype looked pretty similar in SDR (it looked great), similarly with Infinity War. There were differences, but you had to look for them outside of very specific scenes. Games on the other hand are a night and day difference. When Horizon: Zero Dawn first released, it had one of the best implementations of HDR up until that point, and it was a pretty stark difference playing it for around ten hours and then shutting off HDR. Games vary too, but when it's done well (and not faked), it's not the same as SDR at all.

Last edited: