• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Everything has icon in front, so it makes it harder to spot what is an ad now, lol. I bet they do this just because people eventually become conditioned to skip clicking on search ads, and this breaks that habit.

This seems.. more user friendly? So you know when you're clicking on an ad vs. something else.
Quite the opposite. Ads look much more like a regular result now.

Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
It is shit. And to top it off, google's search algorithm has been returning more paid ads and more generic results than ever previous, regardless of how specific the search query is. It's almost as if they are fixing the results to bolster their profits.

Legit competition is needed in the space. Google and Facebook are extremely harmful companies to the public good. They should definitely be broken up via antitrust laws.
It's honestly turning me off this forum. Sad to say as I've loved this place (and previous place) through the years. Just annoying to read hot take after hot take.
I believe there's 2 separate issues people are complaining about here:
1.) Is what the thread title is about.
2.) Is the fact that Google stealthily changed the results on the first page or so to mostly ads (now slightly hidden in plain sight thanks to 1.) and lackluster, paid-off, generic results no one cares about, esp. as a power user.

To make things worse, both of these changes have been slowly rolled out over the past 6 months which just confuses and conflates things. But I get what you mean, dude. Don't leave us tho!

It's funny 'cause I noticed something was up about a month ago but thought it was in my head. Then my dad noticed the same today and confirmed my suspicion. Along with this thread, I've def. narrowed it down to Google trying to be a stealthy jackass.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
here's what I think using it more.

If you are searching for an official website (like NHL.com, MLB.com, NBC.com) the icons are good. They let you quickly identify which search result is the official website. Sometimes I'll search "Sidney Crosby stats" or something similar, and seeing the little NHL favicon let's me get to it right away.

If you are searching some random query/question, I'm indifferent. I can see how people wouldn't like the visual change but it doesn't really bother me.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
It's been nothing but downhill since igoogle was shut down.

The search results are just a sea of trash nowadays.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the google image search filters were a part of the change, because now you can't filter for huge images, only "large".

Duckduckgo is better anyway.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
It's honestly turning me off this forum. Sad to say as I've loved this place (and previous place) through the years. Just annoying to read hot take after hot take.
It's beyond hot takes.
This place has turned into just nonstop incessant bitching. About everything.

It's hilarious a lot of the time but it's devolved into just a forum of depressed and elitist complainers with not much to balance things out.

Hangouts are still mostly safe for now tho.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everything has icon in front, so it makes it harder to spot what is an ad now, lol. I bet they do this just because people eventually become conditioned to skip clicking on search ads, and this breaks that habit.

Quite the opposite. Ads look much more like a regular result now.
Quite the opposite. Ads look much more like ads now. The Ad icon is the first and most visible thing of the result.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I actually think it looks better. I noticed it a few days ago and I actually liked it. The changes are so small though, nothing major that would cause issues (except people complaining about anything).

Actually, the biggest issues with Google, is that most search results are Ads or links to some kind of sale. If you are searching for educational information, for example, it won't give you those results, but instead 50 results about " Buy this book"!

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
just decided to check to see if bing fixed their layout and it pretty much looks like old google now

so guess no more google for me!

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I've honestly found every update of every site since like 2013 to just be part of a great worsening. Though google has looked like the right image on my phone for awhile... not horrific necessarily. Their desktop image search is trash though.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Here is a relevant HN thread: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21427217

I mean, I still think people can talk about the overall change and if they like it or don't like it

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I know lol
Was being facetious. I don't like a ton of Google's changes as well. Too many to count.

This layout change is literally nothing tho. It's being confounded with the other issue I posted further up.

Jan 15, 2020
Now, if you make a Google search on mobile, the favicon actually shows up. I think it's a good thing if two websites are named similarly. The only thing missing is the URL, but it's not a big problem.
So they moved the url above the title and added a favicon and suddenly it's GARBAGE?

Internet hyperbole sometimes...

I would have never noticed this myself.
Well, I did definitely notice it and it was weird at first, but it rapidly started to look normal, it's the same thing with every redesign and people tend to go overboard over those things. There's nothing wrong with the redesign of Reddit, yet people were bothered by it for more than a year.

Oct 27, 2017
I have to agree that removing the URLs is a bad move. It seems to me they're trying to force clicking on ads or scam sites that game results.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Now, if you make a Google search on mobile, the favicon actually shows up. I think it's a good thing if two websites are named similarly. The only thing missing is the URL, but it's not a big problem.

Well, I did definitely notice it and it was weird at first, but it rapidly started to look normal, it's the same thing with every redesign and people tend to go overboard over those things. There's nothing wrong with the redesign of Reddit, yet people were bothered by it for more than a year.
To be fair, reddit's entire design philosophy is extra '96 to begin with lol anything else would be an upgrade.
It's so more people click ads
This guy gets it.