• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Sorry for the stupid question, is there anyway to get Xbox Gold for $60/yr from the Microsoft site? Or are giftcards the only option for that? I have $150 Microsoft credit >.< and was hoping to get Gamepass Ultimate for 3 years
Sorry, but you're not gonna be able to use your credits to buy 1 year Gold from Microsoft. You might as well do this Game Pass PC trick since it's going to cost the same ($60 a year) anyway. Otherwise, it's probably gonna be better to buy a 2 year code from Costco.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
For someone who already did the conversion for $1, what is the best way to extend now? Is it buying Xbox Live 3 month codes it you can find them at a discount and converting? Is the conversion rate going up after Thursday?

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
For someone who already did the conversion for $1, what is the best way to extend now? Is it buying Xbox Live 3 month codes it you can find them at a discount and converting? Is the conversion rate going up after Thursday?
Do you currently have an active Game Pass Ultimate subscription?

If you do not, then the best way to extend is still to buy Xbox Live Gold for cheap when you see it (as mentioned, Costco has a 2 year code for $95).

If you do still have an active GPU subscription, you must wait for it to end (or you can manually cancel it I think) before you can stack + convert again. The conversion rate is NOT 1:1 if you have an active GPU sub.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
My Game pass ultimate subscription ran out a few days ago. Thanks for this. I am now subscribed until februrary 2023. Ready for Series X!

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Do you currently have an active Game Pass Ultimate subscription?

If you do not, then the best way to extend is still to buy Xbox Live Gold for cheap when you see it (as mentioned, Costco has a 2 year code for $95).

If you do still have an active GPU subscription, you must wait for it to end (or you can manually cancel it I think) before you can stack + convert again. The conversion rate is NOT 1:1 if you have an active GPU sub.

I have about 2.5 years of GPU. If I cancel it, don't I lose all that time?

Oct 29, 2017
Let's say I've never popped the trial. What's the most ridiculous deal I can get before the price rise?

I know other services have helped in the past but I'm an Apple Music guy instead of Spotify, have the cheap tier of Discord nitro, etc

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
I have! I've played Gears 5 with my sister this way.

When you sign into the Microsoft Store with your Game Pass account, that allows you to download and install the game pass games from the store (tbh, I've never tried to do it with the Xbox beta app). But when the games are played, it uses the same account that is used to sign into the Xbox app.

So yes, you can play games at the same time this way.
That's great, thanks man!

tmtyf

Oct 27, 2017
My buddy just got 3 years of ultimate for 25$ doing something with 14 day trials. Said it only works with new subs though.

I have mine up for another year or so, but I gotta say if ms keeps it up I'll stick with it as it's been great.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I just used the Live Gold------>Ultimate trick a few hours ago to get three years of of it. After having gone so long with rarely buying games at launch, it'll be interesting to be able to play a lot of newly-released games on day one!

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Another question: If you have, say, 6 months of PC gamepass but no live gold, then buy a year of gold and turn that into ultimate, do they merge into 18 months of ultimate?

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
My buddy just got 3 years of ultimate for 25$ doing something with 14 day trials. Said it only works with new subs though.
Wait, what?
unfortunately its' worth mentioning now that newer games such as Flight Simulator and Crusader Kings II don't work when playing together in the same lobby/match. Both of those games close themselves for both players when playing together after 15 minutes or so have passed. Learned that the hard way myself.
Well that sucks, thanks for the heads up.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best option if you haven't joined either yet? I see both GP and GPU for $1, but idk what happens after that.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best option if you haven't joined either yet? I see both GP and GPU for $1, but idk what happens after that.
Even better if you haven't subscribe to the Game Pass Ultimate before:
  • Buy as many Xbox Live Gold months as you want (maximum 36, even if you don't have a Xbox, you just need a Microsoft account)
  • Put them on your account
  • Get the $1 for 1 month Game Pass Ultimate
  • You now have as many Game Pass Ultimate months as Xbox Live Gold months you had, since the ratio is 1:1 when they convert the subscription into Game Pass Ultimate
At the end it's even cheaper than buying Game Pass PC months through the method given by the OP.
if you want to get a full 3 years, make sure to turn down the autorenewal offer when you redeem your codes. they'll give you a free month if you keep it on and that extra month or two will prevent you from redeeming your last 12 month code since it would put you over the 3 year limit.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
if you want to get a full 3 years, make sure to turn down the autorenewal offer when you redeem your codes. they'll give you a free month if you keep it on and that extra month or two will prevent you from redeeming your last 12 month code since it would put you over the 3 year limit.

I'm assuming buying XBLG not from them, right? Because it's showing $10/month for me

www.xbox.com

Xbox Live Gold | Xbox

Xbox Live Gold is now Xbox Game Pass Core.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm assuming buying XBLG not from them, right? Because it's showing $10/month for me

www.xbox.com

Xbox Live Gold | Xbox

Xbox Live Gold is now Xbox Game Pass Core.
Yeah I'm looking at doing this, and I don't think spending $361 is the "best deal"...

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Well shoot. I just bought myself a gaming PC a week ago and have been trying out Game Pass PC. After reading this thread I've now loaded up on XBox Gold and upgraded it to Ultimate for a $1. I'm set until January 2023! Thanks OP and everyone else here!

Zonar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona, USA
Well shoot. I just bought myself a gaming PC a week ago and have been trying out Game Pass PC. After reading this thread I've now loaded up on XBox Gold and upgraded it to Ultimate for a $1. I'm set until January 2023! Thanks OP and everyone else here!
Can you pretty please help me with this? :-) Nothing seems to be working.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Tried doing it but I dont have an extend option. And it says Xbox game pass for PC beta.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Can you pretty please help me with this? :-) Nothing seems to be working.

Eh...not certain I can but I'll try.

I was subscribed to only the Game Pass PC beta (I got a free one month trial with my new PC). It was set to charge me the first time in early October.

I went to Amazon, purchased 2 years of Xbox Gold, redeemed those codes on the XBox Live Gold website, opened my Game Pass PC app, went to Settings, then clicked the Game Pass PC icon under "Manage", scrolled down to find the Upgrade for $1 option and clicked that. It gave me a notice that it would convert all previous subscriptions into Ultimate and I accepted the charge. I then received an email from Microsoft confirming I was charged $1 ($1.10 technically) and that I was now subscribed to Ultimate till January 1st 2023.

I've just checked my bank account & confirmed I was charged a total of $132.78: $131.68 from Amazon for Xbox Gold and $1.10 from Microsoft for the conversion upgrade to Ultimate.

Hope that helps. I assume this only worked because I was not already in the Xbox ecosystem.

Edit: typos

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
FYI for those that already have Ultimate, CDKeys is seeking 3-month Ultimate codes for $29, which AFAIK is the cheapest I've seen for adding more to an already converted subscription.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up OP! Now I just have to figure out where I want to stop...

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm looking at doing this, and I don't think spending $361 is the "best deal"...
buy a 12 month code from amazon or wherever. microsoft isn't selling year long gold subs directly rn but digital codes are still available all over the place. it's $60 a year at most, could even be half that depending on how willing you are to delve into shady vpn regional pricing exploits

Oct 29, 2017
buy a 12 month code from amazon or wherever. microsoft isn't selling year long gold subs directly rn but digital codes are still available all over the place. it's $60 a year at most, could even be half that depending on how willing you are to delve into shady vpn regional pricing exploits
I figured it out. I did find 1 2 year codes, but they were $60 a piece and that roughly works out to the same math of doing the 1 $5 month PC Game Pass (Not GPU) things.

Now if I only have PC is there anything I'm missing out on with just the PC sub? If yes, is there a PC -> Ultimate upgrade?

Oct 29, 2017
I figured it out. I did find 1 2 year codes, but they were $60 a piece and that roughly works out to the same math of doing the 1 $5 month PC Game Pass (Not GPU) things.

Now if I only have PC is there anything I'm missing out on with just the PC sub? If yes, is there a PC -> Ultimate upgrade?
To past me: yes, Xcloud, and yes, $1 upgrades all 36 months