• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
There is this thing called steam refunds.
If it doesnt work for you getting a refund is perfectly legitimate.
How about shipping a functional product instead?
They still haven't done anything to fix the performance and control issues with Resident Evil 2 either.

And lots of people will have bought the game somewhere other than Steam, which may not have the same refund policy. I've had a lot of trouble trying to get refunds from GreenManGaming in the past (an authorized distributor) when Fallout 4 launched in a completely broken state, for example.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I notice it only stutters when my controller disconnects, I have a wireless controller with a cord charger attached to my comp's usb. Also, I would say buy it anyways.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I'm also running a 4th gen, just an i7, game is on a mediocre SATA SSD, no stutter whatsoever at 90-150fps.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I have a eight core i7 with a 1070 and it is struggling when Mr. X is on the screen, which doesn't make any sense, I have it set to medium-ish settings.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
You could make a thread like this for virtually any PC game ever, with the vast variety of hardware and software configurations out there.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
This is the advantage consoles will always have over PCs - the hardware is always the same so issues like this that affect users differently based on any number of factors (hardware, antivirus, etc.) aren't there.

Hopefully Capcom prioritizes figuring out that the common factor here is and fixes it. The RE Engine seems to be here to stay so they definitely have a reason to keep an eye on it going forward.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like the Denuvo-less exe improved it, but it's not entirely fixed. Atleast the audio seems to be synced properly now.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You could make a thread like this for virtually any PC game ever, with the vast variety of hardware and software configurations out there.

Not really when the two games running on the same engine exhibit the exact same issues. I never played RE7, but I've read that people experienced the same thing.

I feel like the Denuvo-less exe improved it, but it's not entirely fixed. Atleast the audio seems to be synced properly now.

The Denuvo-free exe did nothing for me as far as freezing goes. Cut-scenes still go out of sync if they freeze/stutter.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Crossing my fingers but this seems like the exact sort of thing that'd be thrown my way to ruin my life. I built my machine with DMC5's spec sheet in mind, this would be awful.

I'll test it tonight. Praying desperately I don't encounter issues.
Some things to try:

Turn Shadow Cache to off.

Move the game to a solid state drive.
Might try this if I run into problems. I have a dual solid/hard disk setup. I'll gladly use some of my solid state space if it fixes problems.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a shame because three RE7 Engine runs great otherwise and Capcom creates amazing looking games with it.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuuck it stutters a lot worse when you play as V. I could handle this as long as gameplay remained fine, but this shit ain't fine. The game just went into single digits framerate for like 10 seconds just for going into the van. I'm gonna end up buying this thing again on PS4.

Just curious. Have you shared your feedback on the Steam bug reporting thread? They may be able to take a look at it and address it if they can replicate the issue. DXdiag log output here would be super useful.

RE2:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/883710/discussions/1/1743358239835090217/

DMC5:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/601150/discussions/1/1839063537789521596/

I did with RE2.

Some things to try:

Turn Shadow Cache to off.

Move the game to a solid state drive.

Whatever settings you pick doesn't matter.

I've read of people having the same issue on an SSD.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US

What's really terrible is that the game does not synchronize audio and video during cut-scenes, so when it stutters, it desyncs, and if it stutters (it's more like the game freezes for a fraction of a second) a lot, the audio can end up being ahead by several seconds, totally ruining whatever cut-scene is playing.

This is not a PC exclusive problem, it also happened to me on Xbox One X. They will probably patch that.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Op this game runs at a sexy 75fps on my 1060/ i5 6500.

It's not like REmake 2 with the stuttering when running through doors

Auxy

Jan 1, 2018
Newmarket, UK
Oh man this uh, really sucks haha. I'm kinda new with buying big release games on PC, but I went for it because a friend linked me the cdkeys offer. This stuttering is real awful and I'm guessing I'm not gonna get a refund for this. Not really sure what to do really, I don't really want to spend more money buying the same videogame again on PS4.

Yeah this uh... Sucks! I dunno. I guess I should've went with my gut and waited. I was kinda iffy after what I heard about MH but I'd only heard good things about the RE Engine.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can we offer a tangible and possible solution instead of just putting together instead of doing a coverall statement? This just seems like such a emotional and gut response. I had issues and with some tweaks here and there I got it fixed. I would recommend doing the following.

From Queen of Hunting

go to install directory and find file dmc5config

in there is

Capability=DirectX12
TargetPlatform=DirectX12

change targetplatform to DirectX11
its ahuge difference

Works good!

I would also make sure you're using HBAO+ if you're on an nVidia GPU since the game defaults to HDAO. Use HDAO for ATI cards.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Not really when the two games running on the same engine exhibit the exact same issues. I never played RE7, but I've read that people experienced the same thing.

And others are reporting they have issues with one of them but not the other. That's the nature of PC gaming.

mugwhump

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I have the issue in Dmc5, but I never got it in RE2R.

When I watched the cutscene from the gallery later it played fine... but I think it also looked different since there was no blood on nero's head.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1080ti
i8-6700K @4.8Ghz
16GB RAM

Flawless experience for me start to finish. Loved the ride.

Played at both 3440x1440 and 1920x1080 with 200% res and also tested downsampled 4K

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hey I just wanted to update since I got tagged in this thread in the opening first. In other thread on here there's a guide on how to download the non denuvo .exe from steam and so far it seems to have completely fixed my stuttering and gave me a way more stable framerate.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Just curious. Have you shared your feedback on the Steam bug reporting thread? They may be able to take a look at it and address it if they can replicate the issue. DXdiag log output here would be super useful.

RE2:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/883710/discussions/1/1743358239835090217/

DMC5:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/601150/discussions/1/1839063537789521596/

Much appreciated.

As you can imagine, the biggest challenge with these type of issues, given its apparent impact on small number of users, is dev/QA's inability to reproduce it. They only have a finite number of PC configuration, and even with the same hardware setup, there's no guarantee they'll be able to replicate the problem. Either way, a DXDiag log should give devs a good indication on the test environment which may potentially lead to discovering the core issue.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Is the stuttering and freezing issue also on PS4? I played RE2 on the Pro but never experienced anything like that.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hey I just wanted to update since I got tagged in this thread in the opening first. In other thread on here there's a guide on how to download the non denuvo .exe from steam and so far it seems to have completely fixed my stuttering and gave me a way more stable framerate.

Really? lol lucky you! That exe made no difference to me. The mission intro and outro cut-scenes have gotten particularly terrible.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Runs like shit on my gaming laptop, but like butter on my rig. I assumed it was my laptop not being powerful enough, but now I'm not so sure.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
yea I went with 1X for RE2 because of this and HDR being weird on PC demo. Gotta be a RE engine bug or something?

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I have a core i7 7700 HQ paired with a GTX 1080. RE 2 ran beautifully with excellent frame pacing. I am also using a g sync panel. My CPU is actually not that fast relative what you could get on desktop these days. I doubt it's CPU related bottleneck. It's probably related to hardware configurations and drivers. I think all people experiencing the issue should manage to find what;s common among them and isolate it. It's easier said then done for sure.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Yep, got stutters here too. Shit like this makes me really dislike PC Gaming sometimes... smfh. I should've gotten this on the PS4.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Don't really notice any stuttering but I can tell there's a slight lip sync issue. Going to try the DX12 -> 11 solution and see if it helps.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
If this is an issue RE2 also had, would playing the RE2 demo be a decent test of whether this will happen to you?

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Damn that sucks thanks for the heads up. I had stuttering in RE2 but was able to withstand since it was a survivor horror game but I would not like it one bit in DMCV.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys with this RE Engine problem should use this thread to post your specs. Maybe we'll notice a trend.

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
I have microstutter on any game I play via Steam. Origin, Epic, Uplay, UWP or natively installed games are smooth as silk. Been frustrated by this for months now!