• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Seeing all these reports of glitches is so strange to me because I preordered the digital deluxe for both PS4 and Switch and haven't encountered anything yet with either copy. I'm only a couple hours in but still.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Seeing all these reports of glitches is so strange to me because I preordered the digital deluxe for both PS4 and Switch and haven't encountered anything yet with either copy. I'm only a couple hours in but still.
part of it is that a lot of it does seem to be design decisions, like in the case of sound mixing. it's a universal change, but it's hard to say if it's a bug or a deliberate decision. people familiar with the original game are going to call it out, but if you haven't touched it in a while it might not even seem like a problem

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
This is hilarious.

Sega said NO to QA. šŸ¤£

But who is buying Sonic games in 2021 anyway, nothing of value was lost.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
part of it is that a lot of it does seem to be design decisions, like in the case of sound mixing. it's a universal change, but it's hard to say if it's a bug or a deliberate decision. people familiar with the original game are going to call it out, but if you haven't touched it in a while it might not even seem like a problem

Sorry, I should clarify. I haven't encountered any of the major glitches like the graphical bugs or freezing. The sound mixing was noticeable right off the bat.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
So these insane visuals weren't front he drugs I was taking? Gotta get a refund from my dealer then. /S

I will not be buying this game based on the bad Switch performance and the frame drops from 60fps on the next gen back compat versions. Just doesn't seem like a good port of a Wii game overall. Will wait for a sale or gamepass

chivibowie

Feb 14, 2019
Well, it's proving that most of the glitches are because the game is running on an PC emulator (Yuzu)....

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Roliq

ā–² Legend ā–²
Sep 23, 2018
Well, it's proving that most of the glitches are because the game is running on an PC emulator (Yuzu)....
Don't get how people claim this when the reason this went viral is due high amount of people reporting the glitches, unless you want to believe that everyone is using emulators

Also this doesn't mean anything for the issues that Xbox and PS has

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if has been posted, but this video is quite good at going over the games issues on the PS4.

Good youtuber and a general fan of Sonic.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
"Nintendo Life 8/10."

Zero integrity.

They had a review copy on PS4 that they played on PS5

I don't think Sega actually allowed review codes for the Switch version

Edit - Forget that, I was looking at the wrong review smh.
The Nintendolife review is definitely of the Switch version

Last edited:

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if has been posted, but this video is quite good at going over the games issues on the PS4.

Good youtuber and a general fan of Sonic.

This was a good watch

Yeahhh, all this goes beyond a patch - serious work would be required to get this up to scratch

Expecting a couple of patches that eliminate some of the major bugs, some tweaks to the audio but not many and for the game to drop to Ā£19.99 by the end of September

Marlew

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
They had a review copy on PS4 that they played on PS5

I don't think Sega actually allowed review codes for the Switch version

And at no point do they mention that fact in their 'Switch' review, though they disingenuously reference the 30fps as if it's their experience.

Remarkably, they did even worse than I thought.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Those are random normal maps being displayed, WTF is this? Looks more like a dying GPU than anything else... How did this game get approval to ship in this state?
Two theories:
1. Luck. The graphical issues seem to slowly creep in and then get worse over time (judging by current data) so while QA/Cert may have encountered some graphical issues, they never got anything quite like this. A couple of graphical issues never really hurt anyone, and if nobody knew what lurked underneath.

Or
2. The issue was found, deemed to be very rare and thus unlikely to occur to a small subset of users with he deluxe preorder, and Blind Squirrel promised to fix it day 1. The game is still in "pre launch", technically, playing it early was a pre-order bonus for the deluxe edition. It remains to be seen if this was a thing 1.03 addressed, if the issue was indeed rare and Smonc defied the odds, or if launch is going to be... not great.
Edit: Wow Smonc just tossed the theory about the 1.03 patch. :V

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I think this confirms now that there just isn't any certification on the Switch platform, if a dev uploads a game, it's instantly accepted.

I mean, nothing really new with this shovelware eShop but good to have further confirmation.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smonc has more videos on his Twitter, but it seems to be issues of loading and reloading textures that might be causing it.

Here's another video they show off in a stage using off screen footage for proof the glitches they're getting is happening on an actual Switch. This one has Sonic's model warping and stretching.

Oct 26, 2017
Two theories:
1. Luck. The graphical issues seem to slowly creep in and then get worse over time (judging by current data) so while QA/Cert may have encountered some graphical issues, they never got anything quite like this. A couple of graphical issues never really hurt anyone, and if nobody knew what lurked underneath.

Or
2. The issue was found, deemed to be very rare and thus unlikely to occur to a small subset of users with he deluxe preorder, and Blind Squirrel promised to fix it day 1. The game is still in "pre launch", technically, playing it early was a pre-order bonus for the deluxe edition. It remains to be seen if this was a thing 1.03 addressed, if the issue was indeed rare and Smonc defied the odds, or if launch is going to be... not great.
Edit: Wow Smonc just tossed the theory about the 1.03 patch. :V
Both theories just kind of confirm the level of investment with this game being extremely low.
I mean we're talking potentially life threatening health hazards here, not some minor FPS hickups.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
How come there's never any lawsuits when games have potentially seizure inducing glitches like this? I would have thought if that happened then it would make the higher ups more likely to listen to QA when they say there are problems with a game and could get sued if they're not fixed.
Is epilepsy disclaimer text when a game starts enough to cover a company for things like this?

chivibowie

Feb 14, 2019
**checks post history**

Either you work for Sega or you just fell out of a time portal from 1999. Why are you still console warring for Sega? Lol
I really couldn't care less about Sega's past xD. No, I'm not nostalgic, basically because I wasn't even born when the Genesis was released.

In my previous message I only mentioned that some of the glitches seem to be via emulator. In fact several twitter users who were posting videos have deleted their accounts when they were discovered and some of the ones that are being posted here are quite intentional.

But well, I don't deny that there are bugs. In fact Sonic Mania was full of bugs at launch and in the end everything was fixed.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Both theories just kind of confirm the level of investment with this game being extremely low.
I'd certainly be prepared to give the first option the benefit of the doubt, as it would require some degree of clairvoyance. At least in terms of how bad it appears to get over time. Though given how easily Smonc seems to be triggering the initial glitches (just flipping between worlds seems like a bog standard reproduction step), I'm not sure why that alone wouldn't have had an engineer looking at it to start with.
There's certainly an uncomfortable feeling to this all.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Makes you start doubting the scores reviewers give these games. I watched 5 or 6 reviews of this game and none mentioned bugs, crashes or whatever the heck this is.

And why is Sonic so mismanaged as a series? Every game just seems to lack care and attention. I don't understand why they still don't know how to make a decent, non buggy game after decades.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I mean, of course, but still, how else do you explain a release like this?
That is the question, certainly. I suspect we will never truly know the answer to that for a while. Just theories and speculation. Luck will have partly to do with it, this issue didn't always occur to everyone that played the game, and if the Tweets are any indication, you do have to do something somewhat specific to trigger it. I'm not sure to what extent Sega/Blind Squirrel didn't know about it though, that's the real mystery.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd certainly be prepared to give the first option the benefit of the doubt, as it would require some degree of clairvoyance. At least in terms of how bad it appears to get over time. Though given how easily Smonc seems to be triggering the initial glitches (just flipping between worlds seems like a bog standard reproduction step), I'm not sure why that alone wouldn't have had an engineer looking at it to start with.
There's certainly an uncomfortable feeling to this all.
Yeah and I doubt that stuff like this wasn't flagged by QA. I suspect budget (time and money) for this "remaster" being laughably low.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
How you mess up a Wii port like this ? Really gotta wonder what's been happening with Sonic at Sega the last couple years ....someone high up must really hate the series or limit the budget like crazy.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OK, so I managed to glitch it out too. I couldn't do it on patch 1.0.0, but I took the latest update, played a few levels and finally this happened. MILD SEIZURE WARNING.

I was looking for the glitches, which is why I was ready, so doing this through a capture card

unknown.png

I've left the loading screen in as well, because Yuzu basically makes the loading screen text flash, so you can see it's on real hardware. Yuzu also doesn't speed up loading, so that didn't explain the quick loading on the other guy either

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think this confirms now that there just isn't any certification on the Switch platform, if a dev uploads a game, it's instantly accepted.

I mean, nothing really new with this shovelware eShop but good to have further confirmation.
The worst take of the thread, congratulations.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Uploading a second video now, because I tried to finish the level and oh my god it got much worse.

unknown.png

What's the sound mixing issue? Any exemples?

Here's a randomly loud robot death that blew out my ears with headphones

And here's some sounds just not working

The video I'm uploading after it exports for more glitches has even more examples