• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
People paid to play this game early, so I'm hoping there's a launch update that addresses this stuff even though that's not an excuse for asking people to pay for early access to a game that is buggy like this.

I hope they don't fuck up Monkey Ball, which also has a similar early access tier for $10 more.
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania Ultimate Seizure Anniversary Edition

...Now, you listen here: I PAID for those seizures and you're NOT going to patch them out, Sega! 😤

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking of brief flashing lights kind of thing but this is on another level holy shit.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine fucking up the console version that is likely to sell the best this bad.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand

I don't know, but the loading screen here just screams 'aesthetic' to me and I fuck with it big time.

I can only ask how has this not crashed in this state? I am impressed with this as much as I am actively horrified. I actually can't understand what I'm seeing.

Apparenty this remaster was made by another studio, which apparently didn't have enough time.
I'm hesitant to throw stones in this glass house, but I think there's more to it than time given the other things we've seen, such as the game somehow being packaged with original Wii SDK tools. That doesn't strike me as a time thing.

What I'll be watching for is to see if they have the means to fix these issues. Their project seems ambitious given their existing experience. I don't think they ever did a Switch port before, and the were reconstructing an entire renderer in the process in an engine (Godot) that was not made in house. I can understand a rough launch under such pretences if they can fix it.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Once they reported it as 30fps you knew not to take this port seriously.
The fact that it is having even more issues is not a shock

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I'll be watching for is to see if they have the means to fix these issues. Their project seems ambitious given their existing experience. I don't think they ever did a Switch port before, and the were reconstructing an entire renderer in the process in an engine (Godot) that was not made in house. I can understand a rough launch under such pretences if they can fix it.
they worked on Borderlands Collection and Bioshock Collection, though I'm unsure if they worked on the Switch versions of those

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
It took me less than 15 minutes of texting with a Nintendo rep to get a refund for Sonic Colors Ultimate and the funds went right back to my eShop wallet. They know it's a mess.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
It seems all versions of the game have been glitchy

But the Switch one is the worst one of them.

Those seizure inducing screens make it look like Eggman is about to show up to announce he's destroying the moon(again).

Weird that it turned out like this, Sonic Colors on Wii(of all consoles) was fairly polished to what was the normal for Sonic games at the time.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Man, that looks like the game is running from a buggy emulator...

More and more this feels like the actual case, people passing off broken emulator footage as console. Either that or a corrupted download / dying Switch or something. It just seems like most of the videos are coming from only a few people.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Apparently most of the seizure inducing glitches come for only one person and some have suspected it's using Yuzu or a pirated version. Still other issues like the black hole glitch and weird graphical issues are not from him and seems to be from the game itself.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched plenty of videos with seizure warning and felt nothing. This made me look away cause it was so bad on my eyes and brain, holy shit.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
More and more this feels like the actual case, people passing off broken emulator footage as console. Either that or a corrupted download / dying Switch or something. It just seems like most of the videos are coming from only a few people.
The videos are being posted from the Switch DVR & Album via the Twitter post function. So I'm hesitant to think that's the case.
The videos are coming from a few people is more likely because of the forcibly restricted sample size, due to the pre-order bonus of the deluxe edition being you get to play it like 4 days before everyone else. (Which is frankly a practice that needs to be yeeted into the sun but that's a conversation for another time.)

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Correction: Don't buy it on any console whatsoever, the game is fundamentally broken in each system in different ways.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've just played through the first world and thankfully haven't ran into this. I have, however, seen a load of framerate drops and the loading is painfully long.

This sure is one shit port.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
So, which are we guessing happens first?

Sega patches this out
Nintendo pulls it from the eShop

One of them is going to have to happen in the next day or two.

Amazing if this becomes Sega's version of Cyberpunk 2077.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Apparently most of the seizure inducing glitches come for only one person and some have suspected it's using Yuzu or a pirated version. Still other issues like the black hole glitch and weird graphical issues are not from him and seems to be from the game itself.
If the label "Nintendo Switch Share" is shown below the tweet then it was posted directly from the Switch's share menu, and not from an emulator.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
QA's job is only to identify bugs and issues and make them known to people higher up on the pay scale to fix them. They have absolutely no say in when a game ships or what bugs get fixed. QA gets way too much shit for things they have no control over.

having worked in qa for a number of years, 'where was qa on this one!?' was a catchphrase among us. there was one game that had 3,000 bugs/errors logged and 1/3 of them were fixed for release. on another, i'd logged 70 myself after working on it pretty extensively (2-3 weeks for a dlc pack), and the person in charge didn't see the reports until the due date for some reason. they asked me to check again and close and re-log everything that was still in-game, which was still 70 bugs, so they fixed what they could (right there, on the spot), which was about 10% of the problems.

there was another game that had been tested for a full month, and the team on it kept reporting things throughout the month on a single rom. apparently there had been another rom with some fixes delivered, but this didn't get sent to the qa team and they just kept working on that first rom.

because of the 'problems with the qa team', the in-house division was shut down and the work was mostly outsourced to a third-party group that would handle that work instead. i left shortly before this happened, but apparently the third-party team worked for the time they were hired and when they couldn't find 'all' the problems in the game in the time it had paid for (three weeks, i think), it caused some dispute with the publisher and it prompted a new in-house team to be hired in.

good times.