• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I can't find a thread about this on this site, but I figured since it's on sale right now, I should start one.

I recently purchased the Watch Dogs Legion/Assassins Creed Valhalla bundle on XBOX Series X on sale. It's a hell of a deal. Both games for less than the cost of either game. One problem though, Watch Dogs Legion is completely broken, and apparently Ubisoft knows and have known for almost a year now, and are doing nothing to fix it.

The issue is that the game doesn't save your progress and there is no way to manually save your progress, so if you stop playing the game and come back to it, there is a very good chance you are going to consistently lose all the progress you made in your last session, and maybe even going back further than your last session.

I started playing on Saturday, and got through the tutorial section, picked my starting three characters, and over the next few days I recruited another 5 or 6 characters, including ones needed for main story missions, completed about 3-4 story missions and did some side missions. I started the game back up last night, and it wouldn't boot up from quick resume (which is another issue entirely), so I quit the game from the XBOX menu, hit start and it took me back to the beginning of the game, just past the tutorial. So I lost all my main mission progress, was back to my original starting three characters and basically lost about 4-5 hours of progress. I know for some of you, that seems like, "Who cares? Just replay it", but like I say, for me, that was almost a week of progress, gone.

I did some digging and apparently this is a well known issue. This thread was started in November, and people are still logging this same complaint at least once a week, and Ubisoft has still not released a fix for it. Every time someone posts they just respond with "We don't have a solution for this." "Please be patient." "We're looking into it."

I'm shocked Microsoft is allowing this to be sold on their store in this state. I have requested a refund, but what sucks is, I have to lose access to my Valhalla purchase, if they approve the refund, because they were bought as bundle, and then to keep playing Valhalla I'd have to pay the full price for the game.

https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/2292597-Progress-not-saving

Seriously, what modern game doesn't allow you to save your progress? It's absolute insanity. Steer clear of Watch Dogs Legion if you value your time and money.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It happened to me a few times but I started taking the game off of quick resume and it has been fine so far.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Didn't know about any save issues. I got the game months ago and have played it a several times, and I haven't run into any issues so far...hope it continues that way.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was patched? I had issues last year with this, which was really frustrating, couldn't play the game for a month, but after the December/January patch everything worked ok. Still a bad game though.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They should have issued refunds for this, not being able to save in a 20+ hours game completely breaks it, even Cyberpunk didn't had that issue.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
There's no save button on PS either, but I always fast travel to force the game to save. Don't know if this works on Xbox.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Watch Dogs Legion was one of the most shambolic launches of last year for me (well the last several years), I had less issues with Cyberpunk. I think it was about a month after the next gen version came out that my game started saving. Was straight up unplayable one One S. It crashed every 5-10 minutes.

EDIT: It's also an inferior game to Watch Dogs 2 in pretty much every way.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Damn I refunded the game for this reason when it first came out, I would've thought they'd have patched it by now.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I would've changed the title to "Do Not Play Watch Dogs Legion". Period. Besides being a rather boring/repetitive game, it's been filled with bugs and glitches ever since release even on the PS4/PS5 versions. I would rather they remastered Watch Dogs 2 for next-gen systems and release more DLC for it.

Last edited:

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
What? I thought they fixed it not saving with a patch months ago. When they did, I didn't have any further issues with it.

OP
OP
Goldenroad

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Damn I refunded the game for this reason when it first came out, I would've thought they'd have patched it by now.

Right, or at least pulled it from the stores until they figure out a fix. I guess it's a good thing for Ubisoft that this game never got the type of hype or attention that something like Cyberpunk did, otherwise I'm sure there would have been a much louder and larger backlash about this. But I just wish I would have read about this before clicking that "buy" button. They should at least warn people in the product description about this game breaking bug.

When I started searching online and found that thread from November, I was like "well then clearly there is A solution for this by now", but apparently, according to everything I've read there's not. It's just you might luck out and it'll save your game for you, or you might get screwed and lose dozens of hours of progress. It's just a gamble every time you load it up.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
such a bummer, I really enjoyed Watch Dogs 2 (not so much WD1) and its bizarre how boring WD3 looks. I guess the idea of "play as anyone!!" is harder to pull off.

OP
OP
Goldenroad

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What? I thought they fixed it not saving with a patch months ago. When they did, I didn't have any further issues with it.

Apparently not. Their last post in that thread is from a week ago and states:

Thanks for the updates on this, folks.

The team are still looking into this issue.

Regretfully we have no further information to share at present.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
This happened to me once, almost exactly as it happened to you OP, but only after one campaign mission.

Since then it's been fine. It sucks pretty bad. But there's a good chance that if you pick the game up again, you should be fine from here on out OP.

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
*looks nervously at his sealed copy of the gold edition*
just don't use quick resume and you will be fine, right?

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
I would advise just staying away from WD: Legion no matter the platform.

That sucks about the save though. I never had an issue with my playthrough earlier this year.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
They STILL haven't fixed this? Jesus.

I stopped playing at system launch because I lost about 4 hours of progress and had zero desire to redo those parts again. Shame as the game was pretty good - but the parts I had already done we mundane story bits that couldn't be redone quickly.

OP
OP
Goldenroad

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This happened to me once, almost exactly as it happened to you OP, but only after one campaign mission.

Since then it's been fine. It sucks pretty bad. But there's a good chance that if you pick the game up again, you should be fine from here on out OP.

That's not what I'm reading on that Ubisoft forum. One person very recently said they just lost 60 hours of progress. A lot of people saying, once they get to the final mission or thereabouts, it will reset them dozens of hours back. Again, you could hit the lottery and probably not have any issues, but I'm not taking my chances losing any more progress in the game. I'm hoping I'll get that refund and maybe Ubi will fix this shit in Watch Dogs 4. I'm not replaying that 4-5 hours again. If it were a 10/10 GOTY type game, I'd consider it down the line, but it's not that good imo.

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
I didn't have any issues with saving, but there are several broken achievements that just stop tracking progress on mine

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not 100% on this but, anecdotally, as someone who's been playing it since launch and ran into this issue, I think it's related to Quick Resume?

Basically, if you exit out of the game at the end of your session and then hard close down the game you'll be fine. Leave it in your QR queue and there's a very high chance that next time you load it up it will just fail to talk to the Ubi servers (it uses them to deal with it's cloud saves for it's cross progression stuff) and it won't be able to save your game when you quit out of that session.

Both Valhalla and Immortals had the same issue. Same system.

Tl;Dr: hard close down the game from the guide when you're done and you (should) be good. Not playing well with QR is the culprit (I think)

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think this is limited to Xbox.
EGS has had this issue with a bunch of Ubi games, but prominently it seems to be WD:L. Worse is an issue where the game doesn't even activate correctly and is missing in your library, though I suspect these are EGS issues specifically.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
A lot of people saying, once they get to the final mission or thereabouts, it will reset them dozens of hours back.
The last three missions are full of no turning back points, they even put a warning when you can't change operatives/quit the mission/etc.This might be related. (to the big progress loss, not the lack of consistent save)

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
wait so is this an on xbox issue or an issue for all of legion's platforms?
Only the PC version has a save button/save slots, afaik. I just do that because I think the loading screen forces the game to save, just to be sure, but on PS I had times where I closed the game and it autosaved just fine. I'm just posting this to see if this is a workaround to this problem on Xbox.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
They're doing you a favour, the game sucks

Thanks for the heads-up though, friend wasn't sure whether to buy on PC or Xbox so this makes it a little easier to recommend

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never ran into the issue, it's wild that happens, so basically it just is a bug with how often it autosaves I guess? That's crazy

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
That's not what I'm reading on that Ubisoft forum. One person very recently said they just lost 60 hours of progress. A lot of people saying, once they get to the final mission or thereabouts, it will reset them dozens of hours back. Again, you could hit the lottery and probably not have any issues, but I'm not taking my chances losing any more progress in the game. I'm hoping I'll get that refund and maybe Ubi will fix this shit in Watch Dogs 4. I'm not replaying that 4-5 hours again. If it were a 10/10 GOTY type game, I'd consider it down the line, but it's not that good imo.

Ha, that's totally fair. I would certainly be even more livid if I put even more progress in. It's definitely not a 10/10, but that's probably why I'm mostly fine playing the save lottery ;). I just casually hop in for a mission or two here amd there.

Sucks that this is still happening. It's baffling that they haven't simply added manual saves.

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't planning on playing any Ubisoft games any time soon for this very reason among other thing, but good to have a confirmation first hand

OP
OP
Goldenroad

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Saves were broken at launch. Then they fixed it and I had no problems. Did they break it again with a patch?

If you read through this thread, it has never been properly patched to fix this issue, and Ubi's community people acknowledge that fact on almost every page:

It's just a lottery basically. You might lose a bunch of progress, or you might not, but I would just urge people to err on the side of caution. And maybe check that thread time to time if you're considering buying it.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
If you read through this thread, it has never been properly patched to fix this issue, and Ubi's community people acknowledge that fact on almost every page:

It's just a lottery basically. You might lose a bunch of progress, or you might not, but I would just urge people to err on the side of caution. And maybe check that thread time to time if you're considering buying it.

I'm sorry to hear. Hopefully it an address your refund situation. You shouldn't be punished for buying a bundle. I know I had to put it off for 2-3 months because of the saving. I hear your frustration, because I hated it.

I missed some parts reading your op, my apologies.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed Legion disappeared from Quick Resume so I just loaded it up after reading this thread. It loaded up in the right spot so I dunno if it's that.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Save issues aside, I just got super bored with this game. Feels like it had no soul to it, just empty and boring.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Only the PC version has a save button/save slots, afaik. I just do that because I think the loading screen forces the game to save, just to be sure, but on PS I had times where I closed the game and it autosaved just fine. I'm just posting this to see if this is a workaround to this problem on Xbox.

So this time buying on PC has come in handy? That's new.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i have a friend that dropped the game because of this save problem and constant crashes, he just gave up.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
That's STILL not fixed????

I dropped the game back in DECEMBER because of this bug, which they said they'd fix ASAP.

I paid full price for this damn game.

Kilirath

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft games don't seem to get on with quick resume. I had save issues with Valhalla, Immortals and know a few people who have issues with WD. All seemed to be linked to quick resume. No idea what causes it and I don't think they have fixed it in any game. I know it still exists in Valhalla, although a recent patch makes the game actually tell you when it has failed to save. I just force close the games when I'm done so that they don't quick resume. Never see the issues if I do that.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019

'60 hours of progress'? assuming this wasn't a 60 hour straight play session, how many previous saves got lost? this sounds like a completely different problem from the one you're talking about...

OP
OP
Goldenroad

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
'60 hours of progress'? assuming this wasn't a 60 hour straight play session, how many previous saves got lost? this sounds like a completely different problem from the one you're talking about...

I think it's the same issue. It's post #826 in that thread, from a month ago:
no crashes or freezes

i lost about a weeks of gameplay (60-70 hours as in a hospital bed with nothing to do)

my guess is while on standby (xbox ss) the internet went out and it stopped saving anytime after that even though it let me play

a week later the xbox restarted when the resume patch came out

restarting the game then pulled latest cloud save that was old instead of any newer local save
see bug report
WDL-685

Apparently, if the game loses connection to Ubi's servers, whether it's because your XBOX disconnects for half a second from the internet, whether you're in game or not, or the game just loses the connection to Ubisoft's servers for half a second on Ubi's end, it can mess up your save file and you can lose dozens of hours of progress, even if that progress had saved alright in the past. I'd quit and restarted the game prior to losing all my progress too, so it's not like it was just in Quick Resume for a week, and then when the QR failed, it didn't save. I feel like I'm not explaining this well enough, but I had exited (not quick resumed), and gone back into the game over the course of that week, and it maintained my save, but I guess on Wednesday night I probably just went with quick resume, and then Thursday all my save progress was gone since completing the tutorial, and then the game started me back at where I was at on Saturday...even though, like I say, it had obviously saved the game past that point before since I had been able to fully quit out of the game and get back to my later progress.

Last edited:

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I had a game breaking bug in valhalla. A tutorial mission a few hours into the game wouldnt trigger the right event and I could do nothing but wait and hope patch would fix it, which it did and not too long after

for a pure single player game, I dont see the point of such draconian measures as no manual saves. Back when I played the game I remember I would grab a tech point which triggered a save when I I wanted to quit