• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
You probably should just download the app real quick and disable it just in case.

I went and did just that. I did notice that there appears to be a second sub setting for the neighbor stuff? Sidewalk was on but Neighbor something was off. I turned the whole thing off and deleted the app anyway, but maybe the sharing part is opt in?

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Huh, thanks for the heads up. Turned it off and shared with my social network, hope i dont come off as too paranoid.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Do note that Comcast (if you use their provided router) has been doing this for years already and isn't exclusive to just Amazon devices, it's just out there for everyone.

This should be illegal.
If you use a Comcast owned wifi router and your in an urban area then you should know that it creates by default a second public wifi network that anyone with a Comcast login can use when they are in range of your wifi network.

you can disable it but it is turned on by default, and most people don't disable it. And yes it uses your internet bandwidth.

It's not just Amazon but this is still horrible.

Jesus Christ. I have Comcast and I had no idea, but thankfully I've always used my own equipment.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see it listed, but does this affect Eero routers? When I bought it earlier this year the Amazon connection was the only thing that bothered me.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe this is or will be legal under EU law.

Personally, I don't own any of these devices and I don't plan to.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
If you use a Comcast owned wifi router and your in an urban area then you should know that it creates by default a second public wifi network that anyone with a Comcast login can use when they are in range of your wifi network.

you can disable it but it is turned on by default, and most people don't disable it. And yes it uses your internet bandwidth.

How do I disable this on my Comcast account?

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
One big happy amazon family eh? If the world was all sunshine and rainbows we could share bandwith with strangers, but this sounds like amazon trying to get more money out of customers? And an opt out service with potential security risk is kind of scary. Hey alexa, don't activate sidewalk.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Do note that Comcast (if you use their provided router) has been doing this for years already and isn't exclusive to just Amazon devices, it's just out there for everyone.

This should be illegal.
Ya the xfinity wifi option is always bothered me with how it works. Luckily it can be disabled as well. And at least it's just the modem and not a jillion other things.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I have a basic Blink camera and the Ring base station and magnets set up on doors but no Echo (didn't open it) and no doorbell video cam. I am good, right? I never downloaded the Alexa app.

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018
It's a thing with every French ISP that i know of. It unexpectedly was quite useful one time when I was younger had no internet access on my phone and had to get stuff on the net in a pinch. The bandwidth is not enough to do much of anything except loading your mails, or other very basic stuff.

Oct 27, 2017

Where in the router is this and what's it called?

HybridEidolon

Sep 27, 2020
Sure love the idea of strangers being able to transmit whatever they want under my IP. Nobody could do anything bad with that.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a thing with every French ISP that i know of. It unexpectedly was quite useful one time when I was younger had no internet access on my phone and had to get stuff on the net in a pinch. The bandwidth is not enough to do much of anything except loading your mails, or other very basic stuff.

Yeah the reality is if there was no bandwidth cap, the government could very well mandate all ISP-provided routers to be able to do the same.

leder

Oct 25, 2017

Telcoms have been doing this for years. If you're renting a cable box with wifi in it, it's probably blasting out an open wifi channel.

What ISPs do is really shitty, but it is NOT the same as this.

To be reductive, ISPs are stealing some of your bandwidth for use by other customers as a dumb pipe. It's just the transport layer.

Amazon is stealing your bandwidth and network access to create an IOT panopticon that they have exclusive domain over. Its use is at the application layer.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

Damn, another pebble on the mountain of ways that Comcast sucks hard. That's messed up.

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018
What ISPs do is really shitty, but it is NOT the same as this.

To be reductive, ISPs are stealing some of your bandwidth for use by other customers as a dumb pipe. It's just the transport layer.

Amazon is stealing your bandwidth and network access to create an IOT panopticon that they have exclusive domain over. Its use is at the application layer.
OK I'm stealing "IOT panopticon" it's a really elegant way to describe the distopian ubiquity of corporate surveillance.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

This should be illegal.
Comcast puts out an Xfinity wifi SSID that's completely separate from your network.

I can't imagine Amazon will allow access to people's internal network through shared wifi.

Anyway, you people shouldn't be using Ring anyway. They're only trying to create a police surveillance state.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I recall seeing this and saying no thanks. And checked again and yep- there it is on. Time to turn it off and check in another week to see if they turned it on again.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol amazon wants to offer the convenience of free internet to lure people to their devices and apps but wants you to foot the bill and the security risks that come with it. they know the majority of people won't even know to shut it off so it will likely be successful.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When will this go live? We have multiple echo devices but there is no setting in the alexa app for sidewalk.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Fuck that, opted out just now. This is a terrible idea.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Reading a bit more about this, for those wanting a bit more info on what this is besides what's in the OP, essentially Amazon will leverage common consumer devices which would expected to be located within close proximity of home WiFi routers as a bridge for their other devices located further away. They will do this using BLE for devices in close proximity or LoRA for devices located further away. The bridge devices will be connected over WiFi and then have side links using BLE and LoRA.

BLE I'm assuming people are aware of already but LoRA is simply a wireless protocol for use in low bandwidth IoT applications that is used over the ISM bands for long range communications. There's several start up carriers who have setup their own LoRAWAN networks for use in IoT. Some cities have partnered with some of these carriers and even provide free access. While LoRAWAN is open source, the physical layer protocol is proprietary with design and manufacturing done by a single company called Semtech, who are supplying Amazon with the radio chips for Sidewalk.

I'm not too concerned about security tbh. Devices and applications need to go through two layers of authentication (device and application) before they are accepted by the end points and granted connectivity. This shouldn't be sharing any sensitive private WiFi network details to other devices as it uses a totally different side link with its own protocol. I'm assuming Amazon have followed good security practice on storing credentials information on their hardware for this.

What is concerning is the amount of interference this will add to the ISM band. Amazon has the scale to flood the market with these devices and render this particular slice of the ISM band useless.

Also concerning is the bandwidth usage. As others have said, data passed using Sidelink should really be unmetered when bandwidth caps exist. I would hope Amazon have put in some caps in their system on how much can be data transported using Sidelink.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't buy anything from Amazon. Please just don't.
source.gif

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
Found it on My Echo Dot ver 3, went ahead and disabled it, good looking out OP....this is such a terrible to have enabled ON by default.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I went through my Alexa app and only see guest access, nothing about sidewalk. I disabled the guest access, but I don't see "sidewalk" going to were the op says in settings, and I'm in the US.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I went through my Alexa app and only see guest access, nothing about sidewalk. I disabled the guest access, but I don't see "sidewalk" going to were the op says in settings, and I'm in the US.
One thing I noticed, depending on how old your phone/app are, is that the option might not appear in the app if the device is old. My dad's phone is old as shit, and his Alexa app didn't mention Sidewalk under settings. I uninstalled the app on his phone and installed it on my mom's phone instead, which is much newer, and the Sidewalk option was there.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Checking their website, seems like data usage is capped at 500MB per month and speed is shaped at 80kbps. Which is not bad.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Messed up you apparently have to install an app just to disable a service you got auto-opted-into, on the chance it gets added to future hardware you may get or use.