• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
6jt2k6.jpg

www.resetera.com

C H O R V S |OT| Never give up. Trust your instincts. - (Chorus)

Release Date: December 3, 2021 Title: Chorus (stylized as CHORVS) Player(s): Single Player Perspective: Third-Person Genre: Space Combat Developer: Fishlabs Publisher: Deep Silver Platforms: Series S|X, PS5, Xbox One, PS4, Steam, Stadia, EGS Pricing: $39.99 Future Updates & DLC: Not currently...

As it goes with many games that release at retail first and on Game Pass or deep discounts down the road, it's difficult to re-amplify attention to the game as the OT gets relegated to the Hangouts section of the site (the thread migration makes sense, obviously). I've dropped little "play Chorus" notes here and there when the thread is relevant to the game, but this is my last plea to you all. If you're a Game Pass subscriber - it's "free". All you need to do is download it and give it an hour and see if it's for you.

Despite the game receiving a 74 on Open/Metacritic, look at the Steam reviews. Look at the reactions within the OT. Look at the reactions in the recent "Coming to Game Pass" thread we've had recently. This is a great example of a game that is being slept on. It's fluid, it's fast, the audio is punchy, and you feel like a magician dogfighter. It's such a cool game, and this is my final attempt to get you all to play it. If you're the kind of player that needs to finish every game they start, it's not a massive time investment. It's a great "give it a try" type of game. And yeah, I get it. Everyone on here has their pet games that they swear are amazing. But damnit this is an enthusiast forum and I want you guys to care about this game haha.

My crusade will end with this thread and I will lower my banner thereafter. If you have Game Pass ... Play. Chorus.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I really like this game! There's a pretty good story and the combat is excellent. Music also really impresses.

renoch

Jan 16, 2019
Just started playing it on recommendations from here. I'm still early in it but I think Crimson Skies in space is a good description - and I loved Crimson Skies.

It's a great game!

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I tried it and thought it was fun.

Kinda wish it had a mass effect-ish codex. That would have helped me a bunch.

Last edited:

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Does it play better with a joypad or mouse & keyboard? So I can decide where to download it :)

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
It's fucking good y'all. The ship is a murder thirsty bastard with an oddly soothing voice.

I don't know if any of the game's devs are here but this is all you need to sell it.

"The ship is a murder thirsty bastard with an oddly soothing voice."

What a wonderful blurb. It really speaks to me, with an oddly soothing voice. Now I have to check it out.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I started playing Sniper Elite 5 and I downloaded Chorvs too. I'm hooked by SE5, but I really want to try this out.

May try it out tonight. Is it pretty intense?

I play right before bed, so the level of "focus (aka how tired I am)" I have before passing out affects which games I play, haha.

OP
OP
Lobster Roll

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I don't know if any of the game's devs are here but this is all you need to sell it.

"The ship is a murder thirsty bastard with an oddly soothing voice."

What a wonderful blurb. It really speaks to me, with an oddly soothing voice. Now I have to check it out.
I know of one. Bushido I hope you don't mind me calling you by username haha.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Also Chorvs is next gen Jedi Starfighter. Keep that in mind.

I mean that as a good thing.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't gotten around to beating it yet, but I've certainly enjoyed my time with it. Definitely worth a try on Gamepass!

OP
OP
Lobster Roll

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I started playing Sniper Elite 5 and I downloaded Chorvs too. I'm hooked by SE5, but I really want to try this out.

May try it out tonight. Is it pretty intense?

I play right before bed, so the level of "focus (aka how tired I am)" I have before passing out affects which games I play, haha.
There's a ton happening from an audio-visual perspective and some of the fights can feel intense, so maybe play it when you've got a little more juice in the tank haha.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a few hours in, just about caught up to where the demo finishes. It's fun and there's plenty to do, but I will say that the storytelling style leaves me a bit cold. I'm already kind of done with inner emo Nara whispering her unspoken thoughts as running commentary about everything that's happening. Writing hasn't been amazing so far either. But it's pretty easy to set all that aside and just blow up a bunch of spaceships lookin' all cool-like. Definitely worth a play if space combat with a twist is interesting to you.

multiscr33n

Oct 27, 2017
Just played it for half an our and I'm quite impressed. I like the controls, the vast space, the characters and their voices. Story seems simple but appropriate. Also it ran very well on Xcloud, the service definitely improved over the last year or so.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
oh you mean chorvs

yea i played the first couple hours recently and I'm enjoying it. Ship controls well so combat and flight is fun, i'm intrigued by the story and the ship especially but I don't expect it to nail that stuff as delivery and production values seem a little low on the performance/capture stuff.

Sep 29, 2020
I tried it yesterday on my Series S. It ran and looked great but something was putting me off and I deleted it. Conversation choices were a little unclear and it might have been that. Or that the overworld(?) felt too restricted for a game set in space (in that it felt more like flying a plane than a spaceship) but that might change later on.
I might give it another try.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
"Despite 74 meta" what a sad age we have where 74 is somewhat considered "avoid" or something
Why is that sad? In 2021, on PC alone, 172 games had a metascore of 75 or higher. Nobody has time to play every game. Metascores aren't perfect, but 74 isn't enough to get you into the top 100 games that came out last year, and nobody's playing through two games a week.

Oct 25, 2017
Why is that sad? In 2021, on PC alone, 172 games had a metascore of 75 or higher. Nobody has time to play every game. Metascores aren't perfect, but 74 isn't enough to get you into the top 100 games that came out last year, and nobody's playing through two games a week.

It's sad because in reality a persons opinion may be just that and so many "this was a 9/10 to me" would be overlooked because of metacritic in general. For example, prey was my game of the gen, a straight 10/10 and I'm guilty as anyone for ignoring it because of meta. I've learned to be better about that garbage now though

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Decent game. Got hella annoyed at the boss fight as you need to be quick and flying around whilst trying to shoot moving things, whilst getting shot to shit, whilst trying to keep your bearings is quite frustrating. Thankfully the boss has multiple checkpoints so failing isn't too bad. But graphically it's wonderful and on the whole the combat and controls aren't too frustrating. Pleasantly surprised by it. Her whispering is annoying though but you kind of get over it the more you play.

Aug 9, 2018
I played the demo on PS5. Combat felt meh. Basically it was "warp" behind enemy, choose weapon they are weak to, explode, repeat.

Is there more to it later on?

skxdlxx

Nov 9, 2020
Lasted about 30 minutes before the cliche dramatic dialogue got too much. Game looked and felt great but yeah, not one for people that are allergic to bad voice acting.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
Wait, I've never realized this game even existed. Looks fucking phenomenal. I've read the Youtube comments and some people said it's a "30-hour journey".

As I've just completed Horizon: Forbidden West, I'm not in the mood for a 10+ hour game. How long does it take to beat just the main story?

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I found the first 30 minutes extremely off-putting and never went back

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Downloaded. About to go for a ride.

I legit didn't know this game was a space shooter like this. In the advertising I kept seeing in game shots of a character in some Sci fi place. No shooty shooty bang bang.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Haha appreciate the heads up. I've been meaning to give this a try. I'll be giving it my vote in the game pass club ^^ Thanks for your hard work haha.

Downloaded. About to go for a ride.

I legit didn't know this game was a space shooter like this. In the advertising I kept seeing in game shots of a character in some Sci fi place. No shooty shooty bang bang.
There was definitely ship shooting in the original trailer haha. But yes, we didn't necessarily know all the details of how it played then.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting my ass handed to me by some boss that just unloads endless amounts of mines and needs to be shot from behind but throws up a shield and then just unloads more mines... died like 15 times and had to turn the game off, but outside of that, I'm loving everything else.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I'm probably 70% through the game and enjoying it. There is occasional jank, particularly one boss that I just resigned myself to unavoidably dying right after every phase and respawning immediately at a checkpoint. The talking ship has a KITT vibe.

The story is whatever, but the dogfighting is fun especially once you obtain (early game) drifting. I posted a bit about those mechanics in the Game Pass thread since some people have problems with it.

As your loadouts and mods can vary, you can approach it in a bunch of different ways, depending on whether you prize maneuverability, certain weapons, DPS, defense, or rites.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
74 is actually an excellent rating when you're one of the only story based space dogfighting games on the market, sure there are side quests and stuff but most spaceship games are these big randomly generated sandbox games so it was nice to get a more linear experience. I have only played it for a few hours but I like the combat, the graphics are excellent, and so far the story kinda reminds me of Hellblade.

Nov 7, 2017
I'm getting my ass handed to me by some boss that just unloads endless amounts of mines and needs to be shot from behind but throws up a shield and then just unloads more mines... died like 15 times and had to turn the game off, but outside of that, I'm loving everything else.
You just have to be patient with that one - go wide and get some space, slow down to shoot the mines then quickly jump in behind him and blast him. It's worth persevering as the payoff is pretty cool.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
You just have to be patient with that one - go wide and get some space, slow down to shoot the mines then quickly jump in behind him and blast him. It's worth persevering as the payoff is pretty cool.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely go back and try again, I just spent like an hour dying over and over because I was too impatient and needed a break.

With that aside, I don't think I've played flying/shooter game I've enjoyed as much as this since Crimson Skies.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Tried to get into it but something about the protagonists inner thoughts really annoyed me.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
The last flying game I tried was Falconier(that the name?). Just couldn't get into it. I used to love flying games. I played the shit out of Crimson Skies.
I'll at least download it.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed and downloaded it a couple days. It was one of the rare games I wishlisted as soon as it was announced so I'm very excited to try it out when I have time, maybe tomorrow.