• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even on top of the seizure issues, that just looks plain terrible and is an assault on the eyes. Is this a bug?

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus. I watched it and also feel a bit odd now that I think about it. I feel like my right eye has an image burned on it but it's just out of reach of actually being able to be seen. I don't know how else to explain it, but it's fucking weird.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just FYI but 90% of the time QA catches things like this. They are just marked as "Will not fix", "known shippable" or aren't fixed properly.

QA cannot stop products with bugs like this from going out the door, ever.

Not that I think any of you intended it, but blaming QA is blaming the most powerless people usually making the least amount of money on the bottom rung of the developer totem pole, in most cases.
Stuff like this in shipping software can land smaller studios in EXTREMELY hot water with the very process of the platform holders. I know at my company, anything severe enough to fail cert is a stop ship for that exact reason. Even missing one of those cert deadlines causes headaches for corporate bean counters so most companies (in my experience obviously) take it seriously and don't second guess it.

This could be a monumental fuck up that occurred at multiple junctures but generally I'd think a company like Square wouldn't log it as a known shippable. 🤷‍♀️

You guys just miss my last post about the creator himself openly admitted it was all part of his intentional purpose on that.
I read your previous post but I failed to see him explicitly confirm that. There's no guarantee he watched the whole video or gave explicit approval to the effect. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something?

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh, isn't that PM basically just someone showing Yuji Naka the video in the OP without the context of the Game Informer story or the OP here? It's literally "here's a video," "okay thanks."
I don't think Yuji Naka is saying that he intended that scene with his response, but in the next tweet you can see the message before the video in the DM and they basically told him about this situation and asked what he thinks about it. I think Yuji Naka probably just missed the first message and saw the video which he responded to.

Edit:
ExXaF-rU4AcvGUA

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to reaffirm myself about accusing of him posting a poor intentional tweet was mainly my fault. I should have known better and not jumping to conclusion.

I read your previous post but I failed to see him explicitly confirm that. There's no guarantee he watched the whole video or gave explicit approval to the effect. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something?
Uhhh, isn't that PM basically just someone showing Yuji Naka the video in the OP without the context of the Game Informer story or the OP here? It's literally "here's a video," "okay thanks."

Yeah, you're both right. I hope everything's clear. I feel so bad that he gets flood with DMs right now.....

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Yuji Naka is saying that he intended that scene with his response, but in the next tweet you can see the message before the video in the DM and they basically told him about this situation and asked what he thinks about it. I think Yuji Naka probably just missed the first message and saw the video which he responded to.

Edit:
Oh damn I missed the second tweet that shows the message before the video.

Yeah, you're right, I think for now he may have just missed or misread that. I hope this gets patched out ASAP.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I swear, if I'd to read another "how did this pass QA?" post.....

Hope they can fix the issue. Even as someone without epilepsy, that flashing really hurt my eyes

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Watched for like 4 seconds and noped out because its too fucked up in general to just watch lol. Comparitively the Cyberpunk sequence didn't bother me at all pre-patch so yeah the title is right and it's worse than I thought it would be. It doesn't look intentional though. It looks like something is wrong with the alphas or something like that. At least I hope that's what it is lol.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Stuff like this in shipping software can land smaller studios in EXTREMELY hot water with the very process of the platform holders. I know at my company, anything severe enough to fail cert is a stop ship for that exact reason. Even missing one of those cert deadlines causes headaches for corporate bean counters so most companies (in my experience obviously) take it seriously and don't second guess it.

This could be a monumental fuck up that occurred at multiple junctures but generally I'd think a company like Square wouldn't log it as a known shippable. 🤷‍♀️

My own impression is that someone along the chain probably waived this as not a big deal and they'll likely get a stern talking to. I wouldn't attribute malice to SE as a whole.

But yes, usually stuff like this causes a QA database run through to look if it was logged and if it wasn't, any QA support studios are usually wrongly blamed.

With that said, hope a fix is issued ASAP.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I had it in a tiny window and it still made my eyes have a weird time. Reminded me of how optometrists flash lights directly into your eyes, but in rapid succession.

Definitely seems glitched but if that's what it's shipped like on the disc/cart that could prove disastrous.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
im kind of scared to watch the video
Definitely don't if you have issues with flashing lights. If you're able to watch and if you're curious, watch it on your phone with the screen brightness turned down and tilt the phone away from you a little so you're not staring at the whole screen.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never had an issue with epilepsy in my life and I could only make it to the second flashing sequence before my head hurt.

Kinda blown away I couldn't make it through, shit is legit bad.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
even as a non epileptic prone person that shit was bad (like pokemon bad) holy fuck it only happened once from what i saw and looked more like a graphical glitch

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Has to be a glitch, surely? It's like... swapping the game picture for a white canvas every other frame. Even if it wasn't dangerous it's really annoying, no way that was intended.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I had it in a tiny window and it still made my eyes have a weird time. Reminded me of how optometrists flash lights directly into your eyes, but in rapid succession.

Definitely seems glitched but if that's what it's shipped like on the disc/cart that could prove disastrous.
Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo games have to pass checks for this to achieve certification. Don't know if footage is about yet, but it might be absent from the Switch version.

Airi

Oct 27, 2017
Even watching it at .25 speed, there is a lot flickering at once. I'm definitely leaning towards glitched visuals though since some of the flashes were not the full screen and had a sliver of the game field visible on the right.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Has to be a glitch, surely? It's like... swapping the game picture for a white canvas every other frame. Even if it wasn't dangerous it's really annoying, no way that was intended.

It happens multiple times in the video (which I viewed at a very small size at reduced playback speed) with the same attack, so it's not a one off instance. The whole move may just be bugged. Now, was it just this disc or this version? I'm sure someone else will test and find out shortly. But yeah... this is pretty bad. Espicially if someone plays the game unpatched and gets to this. Even at 0.25 speed it's fairly intense.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
holy shit I should not have clicked that. I tried to just jump around the times and look for colors and shit but NOPE that made my hair stand up lmao

HybridEidolon

Sep 27, 2020
That is unquestionably a bug. There are frames of the flashing where it doesn't cover the whole screen.

If it doesn't show up in the Switch version, you know that it's because they didn't test any platform other than the Switch. The PC demo from a while back had SEVERAL graphics issues that would not be apparent in lower spec scaling settings because the relevant rendering features are turned off.

This game is a crushing disappointment. Naoto Ohshima is a fantastic character designer and it is a shame to see all of those wonderful designs get implemented seemingly so carelessly.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap. Seriously, I'm not photosensitive or anything but I couldn't even look at it for half a second. Honestly I'm not sure I've seen anything like that and I've watched tons of videos containing flashing images.

It almost seems like there's something about that specific shade of off-white makes it way worse:

KGdX5wt.png

Edit: Spoilered just in case

Last edited:

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
What do you mean "pass" QA? QA likely caught this issue and it was marked as inconsequential, to be fixed in a patch or as something that wouldn't impact your regular user.

QA doesn't get to block game releases.
It's so infuriating to keep seeing people ignorantly push the blame on QA. Anyone who spends any amount of time in game development would know that the reality is quite different where despite QA having limited time & resources there are always a large amount of reported issues which go unfixed and it is outside of QA's responsibility

Also that flash is really bad and noticeable to just about everyone. I'd imagine it might not be fully intended, but then again just about everything around this game looks terrible so I'm sure there's some dev nightmare stories behind it

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a little concerning how many people are actually checking it out to see if it's seizure inducing.

Best advice is don't, you can read the comments here with most people saying it could be. If you have to insist, watch it in a super small video at 0.25 playback speed, and like, half look away.

You wouldn't stare into a Solar Eclipse would you? So don't go staring at something that could cause a seizure without ample preparation and protection first.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Does this game support HDR? That would make it muuuuuch worse than Youtube...

And people wonder why Nintendo puts flash-prevention in its emulators, remember this thing?

Ether%20Medallion%20A%20link%20to%20the%20past.png

Jesus. I watched it and also feel a bit odd now that I think about it. I feel like my right eye has an image burned on it but it's just out of reach of actually being able to be seen. I don't know how else to explain it, but it's fucking weird.

Maybe this? It's harmless but might indicate an upcoming migraine.

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
That definitely looks like a bug with the white screen transition, not on purpose.

They better start patching it like yesterday, because it's really bad.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I thought maybe there was some exaggeration but no that was super bad.
Flashing white screen multiple times in what felt like less than a second

Oct 25, 2017
On the bright side the demo was so bad that anyone who was going to play this and tried it will probably pass. For everyone who is left, be careful.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I guess I'm too used at looking screens since it's just a white screen blinking effect but yeah, clearly a glitch and dangerous for who suffers from epilepsy. This game is such a mistake...

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on whether this only happens on PS5? If it's on every platform then it's likely not a bug.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Console cert continues to be worthless in all the important things. But thank god they tell me not to turn off the machine while saving.