• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JaggiBaggi

Nov 4, 2017
Stop. Personally I love this game. I have poured close to 250 hours into this game but have suffered multiple game breaking glitches in the process. From the item duping that broke the online economy from the get go to balloons not spawning for people during major seasonal events that relied on balloon spawns, then the amiibo glitch and now this. There HAVE been a lot of major bugs in a short time after release.

But Nintendo have also been patching these quickly. I'm sure they will get to this eventually (The current situation with COVID wouldn't help) but I posted this thread so everyone could know about it and potentially it could get better put on the radar.

Someone saying that the game is buggy doesn't mean they hate it.

I wasn't even replying to you. All I was saying is that claiming this game is the buggiest in the series when the previous ones exist, is hyperbole. Especially when all major bugs have been patched in close to a week, a luxury previous games (Except for New Leaf, albeit in a very limited way) didn't even have.

you clearly don't get it, because new horizons is probably my second favorite in the series

it has bugs though, and it seems rushed. switching development from wii u to switch probably didn't help that

...but development never started on WiiU?

...and if it did start on WiiU, wouldn't that mean it has had like 5-6 years of dev time, which ... would be the opposite of rushed?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I wasn't even replying to you. All I was saying is that claiming this game is the buggiest in the series when the previous ones exist, is hyperbole. Especially when all major bugs have been patched in close to a week, a luxury previous games (Except for New Leaf, albeit in a very limited way) didn't even have.

...and if it did start on WiiU, wouldn't that mean it has had like 5-6 years of dev time, which ... would be the opposite of rushed?

Kyogoku said the development cycle for New Horizons kick-started before the team even began "thinking or knowing about Nintendo Switch hardware."

now I suppose this doesn't necessarily mean the Wii U outright, but I'd bet that in early development the NookPhone was a NookPad.

and lastly, I'm assuming that the game in its present iteration was rushed. if it wasn't, they have no excuse

OP
OP
ramyeon

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I know you weren't referring to me. But this is an open discussion so I think it is fair for me to voice my input as well.

I don't recall any bug as game breaking as this existing in previous iterations of the series. So no, I don't think calling this the buggiest iteration yet is hyperbole or out of line. I also don't think it should be enough for you to jump to "we get it, you hate the game". Feedback doesn't come from a place of hate. I'm sure I speak for most fans of the game who are sick of the bugs when I say we just want it to be better.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

now I suppose this doesn't necessarily mean the Wii U outright, but I'd bet that in early development the NookPhone was a NookPad.

and lastly, I'm assuming that the game in its present iteration was rushed. if it wasn't, they have no excuse
They definitely do have an excuse: game development is fucking hard. Please, don't ever say a game is rushed because it has bugs or content that is presumed to be missing because prior series had more or such. There is so many cogs turning in games like AC that to think it is simply a "rushed job" because it has bugs is just lazy dev talk being reshaped to a narrative of devs accepting buggy games. Yes it sucks that a quite harsh bug is hitting the game but I doubt Nintendo is just sitting by laughing at it and is no doubt trying to fix the issue with the limited access due to COVID-19.

I really want to know why people are strung up on this supposed missing content and rushed job. The game is huge, and like in other titles of the series we've seen villagers talk about other stuff to come because they are usually event tied or planned but added as a way to hype people. I mean, if the game was "rushed" and lacking the content it so desperately needs how on earth are people spending so much time in it and not growing bored?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
villagers alluding to cut content (brewster and the art gallery) is so unnerving

it's a miracle the game isn't a complete disaster based on all the little bugs
Imo there were hints at E3 when they showed off the first gameplay that the game simply wasn't further along than literally what was shown at that E3.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
They definitely do have an excuse: game development is fucking hard. Please, don't ever say a game is rushed because it has bugs or content that is presumed to be missing because prior series had more or such. There is so many cogs turning in games like AC that to think it is simply a "rushed job" because it has bugs is just lazy dev talk being reshaped to a narrative of devs accepting buggy games. Yes it sucks that a quite harsh bug is hitting the game but I doubt Nintendo is just sitting by laughing at it and is no doubt trying to fix the issue with the limited access due to COVID-19.

I really want to know why people are strung up on this supposed missing content and rushed job. The game is huge, and like in other titles of the series we've seen villagers talk about other stuff to come because they are usually event tied or planned but added as a way to hype people. I mean, if the game was "rushed" and lacking the content it so desperately needs how on earth are people spending so much time in it and not growing bored?
Oh please, it's not "lazy dev" talk to suggest that higher-ups at Nintendo forced them to release the game before the end of the fiscal year, causing them to make cuts and get the game into a "good enough" state rather than what they wanted it to be. Which is basically the biggest theory as to why the game is the way it is. I don't think it's any coincidence that they announced the game with no footage only a year before it was meant to launch, delayed it from its holiday window to the VERY end of the fiscal year, refused to show even basic features like the shops and museum until a few weeks before launch, and then the game turned out less polished and with less content than would be expected for one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. Literally every step of the way there were signs that development wasn't as far along as it should have been. That doesn't make anyone lazy, it just means it should have been given more time.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The devs have been pretty responsive to bugs. Make enough noise about it and surely it will be fixed. ResetEra may not be the best forum for it though. I'm guessing Twitter or Nintendo customer support are more likely to be successful.

OP
OP
ramyeon

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
So I can still move his house thankfully. Since I'm mid rearranging my town. He shows up in pyjamas at 5:30PM.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I have had this happen to me

was getting Raymond from a friend and after I invited Raymond the plot it said it was reserved for merengue instead

days after it's been stuck with the "i've moved out" message.

OP
OP
ramyeon

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
So I have had this happen to me

was getting Raymond from a friend and after I invited Raymond the plot it said it was reserved for merengue instead

days after it's been stuck with the "i've moved out" message.
Did your friend have Merengue move out recently as well? Otherwise it could've been picked up from the void of someone else's island you'd been to in the days prior to getting the free plot :(

I'm sorry this happened to you as well.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Did your friend have Merengue move out recently as well? Otherwise it could've been picked up from the void of someone else's island you'd been to in the days prior to getting the free plot :(

I'm sorry this happened to you as well.

my friend hasn't had merengue move out but i visited some people here on the forum before i made the trade

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

it's not lazy devs rhetoric, because what's there is high quality, polished, and most everybody loves. also, you're extrapolating my feelings about it and you're completely off-base. I think "Nintendo is just sitting there laughing about it????" what the hell made you think I feel that way???

characters allude to content that was cut. that implies to me that content was cut late in development. if it doesn't to you, I don't know where to go from here

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
characters allude to content that was cut. that implies to me that content was cut late in development. if it doesn't to you, I don't know where to go from here
How about "characters allude to content that isn't there yet"? I mean, this was developed by the same team that did Splatoon. Maybe it was always planned to come later to keep the fabled engagement high.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
How about "characters allude to content that isn't there yet"? I mean, this was developed by the same team that did Splatoon. Maybe it was always planned to come later to keep the fabled engagement high.
I'd agree if the lines we've seen were different. One villager type says they love to go and look at the art, and the other says that Brewster was right, they had too much coffee. Those sound like mistakes to me, not hints.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Imo there were hints at E3 when they showed off the first gameplay that the game simply wasn't further along than literally what was shown at that E3.
Why in the world would you ever take the state of a non-playable demo as indicative of the whole project? Come on man there are plenty of legitimate things to call out the game for without resorting to dumb conspiracy tier stuff

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I'd agree if the lines we've seen were different. One villager type says they love to go and look at the art, and the other says that Brewster was right, they had too much coffee. Those sound like mistakes to me, not hints.

Yeah, those lines read in a way where they were only supposed to trigger when the art exhibit and Brewster were present in-game, but unintentionally remained in the animal scripts. Shit's spooky.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Yeah, those lines read in a way where they were only supposed to trigger when the art exhibit and Brewster were present in-game, but unintentionally remained in the animal scripts. Shit's spooky.
I think it's clear at one point the museum was yo open with the art gallery and Brewster, but both got cut. The dialogue is a leftover

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
I think it's clear at one point the museum was yo open with the art gallery and Brewster, but both got cut. The dialogue is a leftover

i find it weird that it got missed. ok granted i know literally nothing about game development or coding. but don't you just... i dunno... ctrl+f "brewster"?

but i totally agree with you, the games development was rushed and its missing critical features. not a lazy dev thing, i just hope that these fabled updates with all the missing content are coming soon like everyone believes.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say that I hope it gets fixed so that everything will finally be great on your island...Junes?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
i find it weird that it got missed. ok granted i know literally nothing about game development or coding. but don't you just... i dunno... ctrl+f "brewster"?

but i totally agree with you, the games development was rushed and its missing critical features. not a lazy dev thing, i just hope that these fabled updates with all the missing content are coming soon like everyone believes.
every game takes a somewhat different approach to dialogue scripting. Chibi-Robo on GameCube, for instance, uses similar event scripting to horror games and is basically unreadable. Mother 2 / EarthBound uses a scripting language that pretty much no one but Iwata understood.

Regardless, it's definitely outwardly a weird thing to miss.

Fortunately we're in a GAAS age now and we might see the last-minute cut content and features from older games added with content updates. Here's hoping support is more like Mario Maker 1 than Mario Maker 2.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Fortunately we're in a GAAS age now and we might see the last-minute cut content and features from older games added with content updates. Here's hoping support is more like Mario Maker 1 than Mario Maker 2.
I think it will be. They've openly said there will be updates as the year(s) go on, mostly for holidays, but I think long stretches without any holidays could be a perfect time for them to bring in characters and series staples to fill in the gaps. For example, I think there's probably some time in Fall with no holidays that would be a perfect time to bring back Brewster. Though I suppose for those in the Southern Hemisphere, that time would be now... anyway. I'm optimistic about post-launch support. Frankly, I think the game needs it.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I had this bug happen to me today, I didn't adopt from anyone.

A villager moved out two days ago.
Plot was claimed by Molly.
Isabelle announced Molly moved in today.

Her house says I've Moved Out.

No fix for this I assume? I have no amiibo

Oct 29, 2017
Hello, everyone! I wanted to share my findings regarding how I think I've managed to prevent the glitch from affecting me. I've adopted 4 villagers from other people (Coco, Lucky, Apollo & Ankha) since the glitch was discovered and haven't been hit by it.

What me and some of my friends have been doing to prevent the glitch from affecting us so far is resetting our voids before freeing up a new plot
and adopting a new villager. You can do this by waiting naturally or TT at least 5 separate days (one at a time if you're TTing) since the last time you had a visitor or visited someone else's island that you suspect had someone in their void waiting to leave. Back in the NL days we used to clear our voids by visiting the town of someone with 10 villagers, but I still don't know if doing that works in this game as well.

After that, you're free to let someone on your island move out, lay down a plot or kick someone out and you shouldn't be affected by the glitch as long as you don't unnecessarily expose your void to other islands. This, in turn, makes it very unsafe to sell villagers or even just play online and then immediately adopting a new neighbor the next few days, as you don't know if the other person had just kicked someone out and they would have been "transferred" into your void, so to speak.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019

it's both missing critical features & continuing to contain critical flaws. imo, this isn't 'will be addressed with updates' territory. it shouldn't have been released as is, period...

OP
OP
ramyeon

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017

The only way to fix it at the moment without an amiibo to force them out is extensive time travelling. People have reported some luck by travelling months at a time forward. I would suggest waiting for a fix from Nintendo.

Xephyr

Jan 23, 2018
I've literally just got this after finally getting Marshall 2 days ago.

Went to visit him this morning to gift and the door had that sign.

Really annoyed, he's literally my favourite character. Never TT'd, not sure if I want to force him out if there's a chance a Nintendo fix can get him back.

OP
OP
ramyeon

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
I've literally just got this after finally getting Marshall 2 days ago.

Went to visit him this morning to gift and the door had that sign.

Really annoyed, he's literally my favourite character. Never TT'd, not sure if I want to force him out if there's a chance a Nintendo fix can get him back.
I'm hanging out to see if they fix it/how they fix it too. I'm worried the fix will just make the glitched plots free up and it won't happen again but I do hope I get to keep Raymond.

OP
OP
ramyeon

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
As of the new patch Raymond's glitched plot is gone and it is now free to fill. It needed a day to pass before it triggered (Had to TT back a day and then back to today in order to trigger Nature Day) and now it's resolved itself. I do hope this means the bug has been fixed.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
As of the new patch Raymond's glitched plot is gone and it is now free to fill. It needed a day to pass before it triggered (Had to TT back a day and then back to today in order to trigger Nature Day) and now it's resolved itself. I do hope this means the bug has been fixed.
Considering the game has a separate screen just to update the save file after the patch, I'd assume they had to do some shenanigans to fix things up. Hoping it's all good now.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I can confirm that this hasn't been totally fixed as of the latest patch (1.2.0). I had Hamlet in the campground via Amiibo and had him replace a villager, only for it to now say "I'm having fun somewhere else! - Hamlet" on his door, and the portrait for him on the town map is a blank house icon.

Any fixes for this that people know?

EDIT: I time-traveled forward a day, and Hamlet's portrait showed up normally in the town map app. His door still said "I'm having fun somewhere else!" and when I looked around my island, I couldn't find him - but then he was finally just chilling in the basement of the museum. What a scamp!

Seems like the solution for this glitch now might be to TT forward a day for the villager to "reset" themselves after the update.

Last edited:

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I can confirm that this hasn't been totally fixed as of the latest patch (1.2.0). I had Hamlet in the campground via Amiibo and had him replace a villager, only for it to now say "I'm having fun somewhere else! - Hamlet" on his door, and the portrait for him on the town map is a blank house icon.

Any fixes for this that people know? What a bummer.
That's something different/new.
Having fun somewhere else is one of the general messages for them not being home so that shouldn't be an issue, but the blank portrait is odd. I assume you didn't find him outside/in a shop/in the museum?

Woylie

May 9, 2018
That's something different/new.
Having fun somewhere else is one of the general messages for them not being home so that shouldn't be an issue, but the blank portrait is odd. I assume you didn't find him outside/in a shop/in the museum?

Nope! Pre-TT'ing he didn't seem to be wandering about on the island or in any buildings. Maybe I just missed him, though. Glad it's resolved for me now!

OP
OP
ramyeon

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017

Any fixes for this that people know?

EDIT: I time-traveled forward a day, and Hamlet's portrait showed up normally in the town map app. His door still said "I'm having fun somewhere else!" and when I looked around my island, I couldn't find him - but then he was finally just chilling in the basement of the museum. What a scamp!

Seems like the solution for this glitch now might be to TT forward a day for the villager to "reset" themselves after the update.
Yeah this is some hint totally different. Haven't come across it yet but at least it doesn't seem as damaging as the previous glitch. Not sure whether or not trades are safe yet but I guess we'll see.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Yeah this just seems to be a bug with the villager portrait then. The message is normal and they are not always easy to find.