• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: To clear some confusion, this bug has nothing to do with amiibo usage or time travel. It can affect anyone playing the game at the moment even those not trading villagers actively.

Hey all. This glitch has been talked about a bit on the Animal Crossing discord community but I hadn't seen any threads pop up about it. You may be aware of the amiibo glitch that was "fixed" as of version 1.1.2. This glitch basically affected villagers who had been forced out of someone's town by an amiibo campsite villager. If the leaving villager was adopted there was a chance you would be plagued with a glitched plot of land - their house appeared, but it would say "I've moved out" and the villager would not appear around town. They appear in ceremonies and you can complain to Isabelle - but they technically don't exist. When this was patched, the fix made things exponentially worse - and this is where we are now. It's no longer just villagers forced out by amiibo - any villager can be affected.

There are a bunch of posts from people experienced this everywhere online. Reddit has a very comprehensive thread of experiences. There is also a great document that goes into the mechanics behind it and what to look out for.

I want to talk about my experience because it's a bit unique in that my villager reappeared AFTER being glitched and "moving out".

Yesterday I received Raymond from a friend. He was obtained via trade with an IRL friend. He had been forced out by a campsite (Not amiibo) villager. I TTed to get someone to move out, but my friend was not time travelling at all. When I went to talk to adopt him he went through the dialogue prompting me to ask him to move to my island twice. I didn't think anything of it in the moment but it suddenly hit me that this could be an issue. That's when I went on Discord and starting asking around.

He was fine for a day real time. I time travelled to speed up and move him in, I then came back to normal time and he was still fine. Woke up this morning and he was still there. My girlfriend came to visit my island over local co-op and that's when it triggered. He now was nowhere to be seen and his house had the "I've moved out" glitch. I left the dialogue box open for a few minutes while my girlfriend was in my town. As soon as I closed it after a few minutes, Raymond came out

He was interactable, had normal conversations and I could even gift things to him. My girlfriend left via airport and after the loading screens he was gone again, plot still glitched.

I decided to try to recreate it. I got her to come back, again over local co-op, interacted with his house again and left it open for a few minutes again. Once again he came out

He is interactable again, I can see him fine. But my girlfriend cannot see him at all on her Switch. My character is just standing still with thin air next to them when I talk to him. She ran around and she clips through him on my instance of the game

This is just super weird as I've seen no one else report this and it seems to be recreatable every time I try so far. I know people have been reporting glitches to Nintendo US but I'm not sure how to do that from Australia - would be useful for them to know this. I basically wanted to post this thread mainly to get this information out there but also as a warning to anyone doing villager trading online or with friends right now.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's what you get for time traveling!

No seriously that sucks and hope they will fix that for everyone.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also if you didn't go through the reddit thread or google doc there's currently only one known way to avoid the glitch and that's when you're adopting a villager. If you go to the other person's island and ask them to move in make sure you talk to the villager again. If they ask to move in again then they're glitched and the host should close out of the game immediately before the autosave. The red flag is seeing the double prompt of asking the villager to move in.

Otherwise the glitch has been known to affect just about any instance of a villager moving in. Playing offline or online, nook mile tours, plots being sold, and campers etc. The glitch sucks and it is incredibly demoralizing so I hope it gets fixed soon.

OP
OP
ramyeon

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
That's what you get for time traveling!

No seriously that sucks and hope they will fix that for everyone.
Haha honestly I hadn't time travelled until I needed to get someone out once my friend said they had Raymond available.

The issue is, like Nelo mentioned as well, this now affects ANY kind of villager coming into your town and doesn't even require you to be adopting a villager directly. Just visiting someone's island that has a glitched villager in "the void" and having an empty plot on your island within 3 days of that visit is enough.
Also if you didn't go through the reddit thread or google doc there's currently only one known way to avoid the glitch and that's when you're adopting a villager. If you go to the other person's island and ask them to move in make sure you talk to the villager again. If they ask to move in again then they're glitched and the host should close out of the game immediately before the autosave. The red flag is seeing the double prompt of asking the villager to move in.

Otherwise the glitch has been known to affect just about any instance of a villager moving in. Playing offline or online, nook mile tours, plots being sold, and campers etc. The glitch sucks and it is incredibly demoralizing so I hope it gets fixed soon.
Good info! I missed some stuff in my story that I've edited in.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
One correction, the amiibo glitch that was fixed completely and was a bit worse was the "__'s house" glitch.
It made it so a blank name came up on the sold sign and the plot was completely glitched. No one ever moved in and since a house never appeared you couldn't force the glitched villager out via camper or anything. The plot was absolutely unusable until they fixed this glitch.

The new one, or the couple of new ones we have are super frustrating too of course and are only easily fixed (as in getting a plot back, no chance to save the villager atm) with amiibo or luck. There are at least two different versions of the "I've moved out" glitch and you can check which one you have by going to Nook and asking to move a house. If the glitched villager pops up in that menu you have version 1 (the villager does actually exist) and if not then you have version 2 (the villager doesn't exist). In version 1 you have to replace the villager via amiibo or a normal camper to get it to move out for real. With version 2 you cannot do anything with the plot but it will suddenly just be gone by itself. Very very odd.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Easily the buggiest AC to date. GameXplain also had a glitch that caused their in-game clock to permanently be January 1st.

More credence to my idea that this was a very agile game release where features and polishes got cut to be received later.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all. This glitch has been talked about a bit on the Animal Crossing discord community but I hadn't seen any threads pop up about it. You may be aware of the amiibo glitch that was "fixed" as of version 1.1.2. This glitch basically affected villagers who had been forced out of someone's town by an amiibo campsite villager. If the leaving villager was adopted there was a chance you would be plagued with a glitched plot of land - their house appeared, but it would say "I've moved out" and the villager would not appear around town. They appear in ceremonies and you can complain to Isabelle - but they technically don't exist. When this was patched, the fix made things exponentially worse - and this is where we are now. It's no longer just villagers forced out by amiibo - any villager can be affected.

There are a bunch of posts from people experienced this everywhere online. Reddit has a very comprehensive thread of experiences. There is also a great document that goes into the mechanics behind it and what to look out for.

I want to talk about my experience because it's a bit unique in that my villager reappeared AFTER being glitched and "moving out".

Yesterday I received Raymond from a friend. He was obtained via trade with an IRL friend. He had been forced out by a campsite (Not amiibo) villager. I TTed to get someone to move out, but my friend was not time travelling at all. When I went to talk to adopt him he went through the dialogue prompting me to ask him to move to my island twice. I didn't think anything of it in the moment but it suddenly hit me that this could be an issue. That's when I went on Discord and starting asking around.

He was fine for a day real time. I time travelled to speed up and move him in, I then came back to normal time and he was still fine. Woke up this morning and he was still there. My girlfriend came to visit my island over local co-op and that's when it triggered. He now was nowhere to be seen and his house had the "I've moved out" glitch. I left the dialogue box open for a few minutes while my girlfriend was in my town. As soon as I closed it after a few minutes, Raymond came out

He was interactable, had normal conversations and I could even gift things to him. My girlfriend left via airport and after the loading screens he was gone again, plot still glitched.

I decided to try to recreate it. I got her to come back, again over local co-op, interacted with his house again and left it open for a few minutes again. Once again he came out

He is interactable again, I can see him fine. But my girlfriend cannot see him at all on her Switch. My character is just standing still with thin air next to them when I talk to him. She ran around and she clips through him on my instance of the game

This is just super weird as I've seen no one else report this and it seems to be recreatable every time I try so far. I know people have been reporting glitches to Nintendo US but I'm not sure how to do that from Australia - would be useful for them to know this. I basically wanted to post this thread mainly to get this information out there but also as a warning to anyone doing villager trading online or with friends right now.

This is definitely an interesting situation. I'm wondering if this can be replicated by others. I would have tried this with Nelo if we had known we could force the villager out of the house.
Also, the original Amiibo glitch was what Spyware said - empty, nameless, glitched plot.

I hope you send all this to Nintendo since you are the first person I am aware of who managed to get the villager to reappear.

OP
OP
ramyeon

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely an interesting situation. I'm wondering if this can be replicated by others. I would have tried this with Nelo if we had known we could force the villager out of the house.
Also, the original Amiibo glitch was what Spyware said - empty, nameless, glitched plot.

I hope you send all this to Nintendo since you are the first person I am aware of who managed to get the villager to reappear.
What's the best way to send it to them? Would be great if this got a bit more traction since the amiibo glitch and balloon glitch seemed to get a lot of press attention but this one so far has gone ignored and is so much worse.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Easily the buggiest AC to date. GameXplain also had a glitch that caused their in-game clock to permanently be January 1st.

More credence to my idea that this was a very agile game release where features and polishes got cut to be received later.
The buggiest AC you reckon? I don't think there could be any further hyperbole. It certainly has some bugs like the one OP mentioned but it is very specific to Amiibo usage. In the 100 hours I've played or the 250+ my friends have played there certainly haven't been any issues recognised.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

villagers alluding to cut content (brewster and the art gallery) is so unnerving

it's a miracle the game isn't a complete disaster based on all the little bugs

Gouf

May 17, 2018
The buggiest AC you reckon? I don't think there could be any further hyperbole. It certainly has some bugs like the one OP mentioned but it is very specific to Amiibo usage. In the 100 hours I've played or the 250+ my friends have played there certainly haven't been any issues recognised.
Using anecdotal evidence for these type of things is always an iffy method of measuring these type of things, but I personally don't think the game is in a great spot from my own experience. My girlfriend's save file randomly got corrupted when she had around 60 hours of playtime and she's just been completely out of luck since then because of Nintendo's cloud situation. Apparently it's been happening to other people as well according to some quick Google searches.

Regardless of whether it's the buggiest Animal Crossing or not, I expect much better from a game that is expected to be a major time sink for a lot of people.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
it's not too buggy compared to some other series, but other animal crossing games are airtight

only major glitch I can remember is reburying fossils in the original fucking with their spawn, but it was a known glitch that blathers warns you about in-game

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Easily the buggiest AC to date.
Tumblr_mz7ybdPPuK1sv6zdro2_r1_250.gif

OP
OP
ramyeon

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
This has nothing to do with amiibos. I don't even own a single amiibo.

Before this I also had the widespread bug where once reaching the achievement for 300 balloons popped balloons stopped spawning entirely for my character. They fixed that within a week so hopefully this is the same.
No bugs on my end. I guess just find use amiibos? No problem for me!
Guys, the first paragraph of the OP explains that this has nothing to do with amiibos anymore. This can affect anyone, even people not trading villagers.

JaggiBaggi

Nov 4, 2017
it's not too buggy compared to some other series, but other animal crossing games are airtight

only major glitch I can remember is reburying fossils in the original fucking with their spawn, but it was a known glitch that blathers warns you about in-game

animalcrossing.fandom.com

Glitches (disambiguation)

Glitches may refer to: Glitches in Animal Crossing Glitches in Wild World Glitches in City Folk Glitches in New Leaf Glitches in Happy Home Designer Glitches in Pocket Camp Glitches in New Horizons

Not even accounting for all the fuckery people with homebrew could do to your cities in Wild World and City Folk when playing online, either. Seriously, we get it, you don't like New Horizons, but the hyperbole is unwarranted here. This will probably get patched soon.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The game launched with a major item duping glitch, the glitch that this thread is about is affecting tons of people regardless of where their villagers come from, they had to patch out another glitch that caused balloons to stop spawning entirely after you'd popped 300, villagers have dialogue about content that isn't even in the game yet as if it's already there, etc. The polish is highly lacking by Nintendo's standards and although they've been quick to patch in a few cases, it's obvious that it released earlier than the devs would have liked when you factor in the amount of missing content. It has fewer furniture pieces right now than NL had at launch, and a full 15% of the furniture is just models of all the fish and bugs.

Oh yeah, I also forgot about the bug where if you put a radio outside and then remove it, your villagers will look like they're demonically possessed every time they try to sing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramyeon

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017

Glitches may refer to: Glitches in Animal Crossing Glitches in Wild World Glitches in City Folk Glitches in New Leaf Glitches in Happy Home Designer Glitches in Pocket Camp Glitches in New Horizons

Not even accounting for all the fuckery people with homebrew could do to your cities in Wild World and City Folk when playing online, either. Seriously, we get it, you don't like New Horizons, but the hyperbole is unwarranted here. This will probably get patched soon.
Stop. Personally I love this game. I have poured close to 250 hours into this game but have suffered multiple game breaking glitches in the process. From the item duping that broke the online economy from the get go to balloons not spawning for people during major seasonal events that relied on balloon spawns, then the amiibo glitch and now this. There HAVE been a lot of major bugs in a short time after release.

But Nintendo have also been patching these quickly. I'm sure they will get to this eventually (The current situation with COVID wouldn't help) but I posted this thread so everyone could know about it and potentially it could get better put on the radar.

Someone saying that the game is buggy doesn't mean they hate it.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This has nothing to do with amiibos. I don't even own a single amiibo.

Before this I also had the widespread bug where once reaching the achievement for 300 balloons popped balloons stopped spawning entirely for my character. They fixed that within a week so hopefully this is the same.

Guys, the first paragraph of the OP explains that this has nothing to do with amiibos anymore. This can affect anyone, even people not trading villagers.
Sorry, I did read the whole OP initially but thought with how it was worded that after Amiibo use it didn't matter which villager it was, they all could be affected. It sounded like it was happening AFTER someone uses an Amiibo and gets the initial glitch that was patched out.
The game launched with a major item duping glitch, the glitch that this thread is about is affecting tons of people regardless of where their villagers come from, they had to patch out another glitch that caused balloons to stop spawning entirely after you'd popped 300, villagers have dialogue about content that isn't even in the game yet as if it's already there, etc. The polish is highly lacking by Nintendo's standards and although they've been quick to patch in a few cases, it's obvious that it released earlier than the devs would have liked when you factor in the amount of missing content. It has fewer furniture pieces right now than NL had at launch, and a full 15% of the furniture is just models of all the fish and bugs.

Oh yeah, I also forgot about the bug where if you put a radio outside and then remove it, your villagers will look like they're demonically possessed every time they try to sing.
Have there not always been duping glitches in the recent AC games? I remember a key one in NL on launch or early into its first year that really didn't get solved for ages. I would argue that while content may be "light" in comparison there is still a ton of game here and that doesn't change its overall quality. It's a damn good game, one of the best for AC series and I don't doubt glitches or issues are going to be a thing like any modern game with intricate parts.

I just don't think saying it's the buggiest AC game is correct when we have seen this before in other AC games. I would actually argue this is the best game for Nintendo to respond to fixes quickly because of its more modern dev style.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

you clearly don't get it, because new horizons is probably my second favorite in the series

it has bugs though, and it seems rushed. switching development from wii u to switch probably didn't help that

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I just don't think saying it's the buggiest AC game is correct when we have seen this before in other AC games. I would actually argue this is the best game for Nintendo to respond to fixes quickly because of its more modern dev style.
I don't remember ever seeing a glitch in an AC before that made one of your villagers totally inaccessible like this one does. Like, I'm enjoying the game or else I wouldn't have nearly 200 hours put into it. But it has some glaring issues that make it obvious development was rushed. Fixes and more content will be patched in later, of course, but that's true of games in early access as well and what may be coming in the future is not always relevant to discussing current problems.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I just hit Raymond in the head with a net about 20 times because he was eating a sandwich in the middle of the bridge. You want him? Come get him. We're not on speaking terms.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Can the dev team still go to work right now with the covid-19 situation in Japan? Might slow down any bug fixes, the item dupe one was fixed pretty quickly.
I don't get the hassle to get the « rare » villagers when we'll get new amiibo for them in the next 12 months or something, unless you don't plan to keep playing for that long.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I wonder if they have a fix but are waiting to get it together with other fixes/ the earth day stuff for a bigger patch this weekend?

They have to patch it before the event, and theres no way they bring a big patch like that out without fixing this issue if its that widespread

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird, but they've been quick to patch other bugs so far so I imagine it will be fixed relatively soon. Hopefully with the Earth day stuff next week

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm sorry but I'm a little confused about this. So, if someone gets this glitch, a villager just stops appearing OR never actually moves out but disappears?

Can the dev team still go to work right now with the covid-19 situation in Japan? Might slow down any bug fixes, the item dupe one was fixed pretty quickly.
I don't get the hassle to get the « rare » villagers when we'll get new amiibo for them in the next 12 months or something, unless you don't plan to keep playing for that long.

I remember Sakurai talking about this in regards to Smash. He said the biggest issue for his team was secrecy, because they'd be transmitting classified information from various third parties around to personal computers and homes. It otherwise seems like it's totally possible for development to continue from home so long as developers are able to securely connect to one another and have access to the computers/programs they'd need to.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but I'm a little confused about this. So, if someone gets this glitch, a villager just stops appearing OR never actually moves out but disappears?

I remember Sakurai talking about this in regards to Smash. He said the biggest issue for his team was secrecy, because they'd be transmitting classified information from various third parties around to personal computers and homes. It otherwise seems like it's totally possible for development to continue from home so long as developers are able to securely connect to one another and have access to the computers/programs they'd need to.

A glitched villager will appear to move in normally at first and then a trigger (we've seen it with people visiting) will happen and the villager disappears from the island. The house will be dark with a sign that says, "I've moved out" on it. The villager will appear at ceremonies and you can complain to Isabelle about them, but they no longer exist in a normal capacity.
The plot will remain in this glitched state unless a campsite visitor or amiibo is forced into the plot. Some people have also gotten the glitched plot to resolve by extensive TTing.

The glitch can occur if you have visited anyone who has had a villager move out recently. When a villager moves out, either naturally or forced out, they are copied to "the void" where they have a chance of hitching a ride with anyone who visits who has an empty plot. You could go visit your friend and come home to that friend's recently moved out villager in your now not-empty plot. This is a normal "feature" even though I think it sucks. However, what seems to be happening is that some people are getting multiple copies of void villagers and/or invited villagers trying to move into the same plot - which shouldn't be happening.

A friend of mine adopted a villager from me. He got the dialog to move in twice. We didn't think much of it at the time and he went home to find his plot had the villager's name on it. She moved in fine the next day. Then he had some people visit. She disappeared and the house was glitched. We think he not only got my real villager, but also the void copy . When someone visited, the void copy hitched a ride off his island and the game freaked out and didn't know what to do = glitched "I've moved out" house.

OP
OP
ramyeon

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Correct, yeah. The house is still there, I can still complain about him to Isabelle and I can still love his house with Nook. He'll even show up to ceremonies for new facilities but otherwise will never appear. When you interact with the house it just says they've moved out.

The only guaranteed way to get his plot to free up is to force them out with an amiibo campsite villager. Some have had success with time travelling a LOT to get it to turn into an open plot.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Again this glitch affects just about any instance of villagers moving in. From the Nintendo support forum. So arguably the safest way to get a villager right now is adopting/trading because we know for sure there is a red flag that you can avoid. Otherwise it's kind of a dice roll since have no idea what's causing it for any other move ins.

Nintendo Support

Find information, resources, troubleshooting guides and more for Nintendo Switch Family, Nintendo 3DS Family, and other systems, games, and accounts.

Hello, I hope this thread reaches the correct support team for Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

I have a friend who received a new villager, Mira, to their empty plot. When they attempt to enter the villager's house, the dialogue, "I've moved out. -Mira" is displayed. When my friend looks at the village map, however, Mira's face and location are displayed at the house's icon, as if she still resides in that space. There seems to be no other interaction they can take with this house. My friend has not altered their system clock, visited anyone else online or locally, nor taken any other action that could explain this glitch's occurrence.

We would like to know if Nintendo is aware of this issue and/or any steps we may take to resolve this issue. Thanks.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Can you share more info on this? I would love to read that dialogue, sounds interesting
Couldn't find any screenshots, but here's one of many relevant gamefaqs threads:

Blathers' bizarre warning - Animal Crossing

For Animal Crossing on the GameCube, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "Blathers' bizarre warning".

Some seem to think that it's a warning about the fact that a buried unidentified fossil prevents new ones from generating, which would make sense. But the message from Blathers is certainly more foreboding than that. As a kid I thought that if I accidentally buried a fossil any subsequent ones would only be duplicates.

Now, I'm almost certain it was just meant to remind players about the spawning, though it's an odd message.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's definitely a buggy AC game. My file started randomly taking a reallllly long time to load, and sometimes the game just doesn't load the title screen.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
This particular glitch is prime for future creepypasta writers though

"I've moved out." is already a little creepy

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Sorry, I did read the whole OP initially but thought with how it was worded that after Amiibo use it didn't matter which villager it was, they all could be affected. It sounded like it was happening AFTER someone uses an Amiibo and gets the initial glitch that was patched out.
We don't exactly know the reason for this post-patch glitch and it could be that it was actually the ones affected by the first glitch that started getting hit with this, but the thing is that it spreads and we're guessing the reason is the void. Going online for any reason at all can possibly put you at risk of getting a glitched villager and then maybe your save is in this "glitched void state" and you can spread it. We might basically be spreading a virus around when we go visit other islands for turnips, items trades, meteor showers, special NPCs and so on. :(

Again this glitch affects just about any instance of villagers moving in. From the Nintendo support forum. So arguably the safest way to get a villager right now is adopting/trading because we know for sure there is a red flag that you can avoid. Otherwise it's kind of a dice roll since have no idea what's causing it for any other move ins.
I would say the safest way is simply to not go online, or at least make sure you weren't visiting or had visitors for at least 4 days before and after you invite a villager from a Miles island or camp, and only visit/get visits from people who have not had any villagers move in or out the past four days. And that's complicated.
I have not heard of a villager glitching out without void interference. So where the villager comes from is irrelevant because the glitch seems to come from the void.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
We don't exactly know the reason for this post-patch glitch and it could be that it was actually the ones affected by the first glitch that started getting hit with this, but the thing is that it spreads and we're guessing the reason is the void. Going online for any reason at all can possibly put you at risk of getting a glitched villager and then maybe your save is in this "glitched void state" and you can spread it. We might basically be spreading a virus around when we go visit other islands for turnips, items trades, meteor showers, special NPCs and so on. :(

I would say the safest way is simply to not go online, or at least make sure you weren't visiting or had visitors for at least 4 days before and after you invite a villager from a Miles island or camp, and only visit/get visits from people who have not had any villagers move in or out the past four days. And that's complicated.
I have not heard of a villager glitching out without void interference. So where the villager comes from is irrelevant because the glitch seems to come from the void.
wait... so animal crossing might have a virus... and the solution is to quarantine... until a preventative measure is developed and distributed?