• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda scary how you can create a software that will immediately fry your hardware if you run it.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Based on comments I am seeing in this thread... this should be added to the OP.

5h6f1m.jpg

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
Just a wild guess here, but since this only seems to have happened to a couple of SKUs, I'm assuming it's some power delivery/VRM issue. Either they let these cards pull so much power that something fails along the way or something is causing the VRM's temperature/current protections to not shut itself down.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just a wild guess here, but since this only seems to have happened to a couple of SKUs, I'm assuming it's some power delivery/VRM issue. Either they let these cards pull so much power that something fails along the way or something is causing the VRM's temperature/current protections to not shut itself down.
The EVGA Ampere cards have had power delivery issues so if it's really just them, I wouldn't be surprised. There was a big couple of threads on the EVGA forums a few months back where people were delving into this stuff and it felt like EVGA sort of shrugged and ignored it.

It's definitely making me more cautious about EVGA products in the future.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I played for an hour last night on my EVGA 3070 -- I feel like I dodged a bullet. I'll hold off on booting it again until we know more.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK

5h6f1m.jpg

This is true, for sure, but it doesn't excuse what the devs have done with the menu/queuing system if I understand it correctly. Running the game world in the background of a menu screen with a forced unlocked framerate while people queue in for up to an hour is completely obnoxious. People go to a fair bit of effort tuning fan curves and optimizing airflow within their case to keep things quiet. Nobody wants to hear their system sound like a vacuum cleaner for 30-60 minutes while they wait to play a game.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
This is true, for sure, but it doesn't excuse what the devs have done with the menu/queuing system if I understand it correctly. Running the game world in the background of a menu screen with a forced unlocked framerate while people queue in for up to an hour is completely obnoxious. People go to a fair bit of effort tuning fan curves and optimizing airflow within their case to keep things quiet. Nobody wants to hear their system sound like a vacuum cleaner for 30-60 minutes while they wait to play a game.
What? Devs have 0 FAULT at this issue

Menu with uncapped framerate is normal

Its a beta, and they weren't expecting this much people playing so they didnt count for people waiting for hours

Still, Its NVIDIA FAULT

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Feels like more an issue with drivers and/or the hardware. I know I've had more issues with my 30 series card than I ever had with my 20 series.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
They certainly wouldnt be the first to run their game world in the background though I agree its a waste of resources. It still isnt their fault a specific hardware is failing while playing their game. The game itself seems demanding on a GPU so the card would eventually fail while playing anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
What? Devs have 0 FAULT at this issue

Menu with uncapped framerate is normal

Its a beta, and they weren't expecting this much people playing so they didnt count for people waiting for hours

Still, Its NVIDIA FAULT

The first thing I did in that post is agree with the notion that the devs aren't at fault for the fried cards. If the info I saw earlier in this thread was accurate, it's not just that it's an uncapped framerate in the menu, but the fact that the game world is loaded up and running in the bg at the same time, basically turning the queue into a stress test. That's fucking obnoxious in and of itself.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
This is great publicity for Amazon. I didn't know this game existed prior to this issue. I wonder how nVidia screwed up this one and why the issue seems(?) limited to 3090 and not 3080 cards.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't this be an Nvidia or Nvidia Driver problem? How the hell could a game specifically target and break one GPU?

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Even if the drivers had a bug you'd expect the card to protect itself from dying. Shoddy firmware.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
This is crazy is it just specific to this brand model only? This whole card shortage thing had me even run only stock clocks on all my cards in fear of breaking with no replacements.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
WTF
How can a game just brick your card? Not even the most hardcore of testing software can do that, the gpu has protections that should kick in.

That's what I was wondering. Unless they're turning off those protections (can you even do that?) for overlocking. CPU's/GPU's have thermal shutdown thresholds that will shutdown the processor to prevent damage.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019

5h6f1m.jpg
I wouldn't bother.

I spent 1 minute on Google and found that people have been complaining about this exact same problem for Halo Masterchief Collection with EVGA 3090 video cards since December.

If people want to believe that New World of Amazon is at fault here then that is what they will believe. No amount of "facts" will change that.

matthews

Dec 25, 2017
RTX 3090 require 3 x 8-pin power. Maybe these guys are using 2 8-pin power connectors from the same cable since most power supplies only come with 2 strands with 2 8-pin connectors each. The TDP is only 350 W which should be fine with 2 cables but maybe something is causing it to go much higher.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't bother.

I spent 1 minute on Google and found that people have been complaining about this exact same problem for Halo Masterchief Collection with EVGA 3090 video cards since December.

If people want to believe that New World of Amazon is at fault here then that is what they will believe. No amount of "facts" will change that.
It's very common to see people blaming software and not their own hardware. I see this on Steam forums all the time, especially for demanding games. "Developers you suck, your game makes my GPU run at 95C and overheat, this other game I played before didn't do that!!!" Although real blame in such situations is often computer building mistakes, or something as simple as dust build up and lack of maintenance. Hardware is expensive, it takes effort to troubleshoot and replace bad parts. Blaming a game and developers is easy and effortless.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't bother.

I think you hit the nail on the head... Its Amazon so people are looking at them to fail and are quick to blame them for something that literally can't be their fault.

It also makes sense that an issue like this would pop up in Halo... If you don't cap your frame rate in that game, the power usage would go through the roof if you are using a 3090 due to the high frame rate. This just further shows that people with this issue would have this problem no matter what software caused the uptick in power usage.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Given how my EVGA FTW3 card ends up throttling itself on stock settings, this is not surprising news to me.

Undervolt/turn down your power limits, folks.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Kinda scary how you can create a software that will immediately fry your hardware if you run it.

Normally this is not possible. Hardware has temperature sensors that will cause a thermal trip that disables the clock and turns off the chip in case of excessive temperatures. This is a very rare and extreme case. Prior to this, the temperatures should be monitored and the clock should be throttled and fans should be sped up to prevent that thermal trip from ever happening.

In this case, Nvidia didn't do their job properly. Or the individual hardware vendors misconfigured the card.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Bad advice. If it can't run or dies at stock settings RMA that shit asap before you are out of warranty period!
Oh, it still runs. It just has to push its clocks down significantly in order to keep below the thermal limit.

Meanwhile, locking the power limit to 85% pretty much solves the problem with practically no impact on performance.

EVGA should have just left these in the cooker for a bit longer methinks.

Jardim

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 7, 2021
Wasn't this card that was dying by the thousands at launch due to a poorly made capacitor in some manufacters? Then they released a fix to cap and limit the performance ceiling so it wouldnt make the card "Fry". Maybe the game is pushing these same gpus to the limit (For wathever reason) and the problem is surfacing again.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
It seems to be mostly limited to the 3090 FTW3. The 3090 XC3 also from EVGA seems unaffected but it may be due to lack of users. This is not the first time the FTW3 card has had problems when the XC3 has not, though. Lots of people have had to RMA them, sometimes multiple times. Meanwhile the 3090 xc3s out there are just fine, or at the most have similar failure rates to a normal 3090. The two cards have different PCBs and the main difference is the power delivery, the FTW3 is capable of sucking down 500 watts while the Xc3 is limited to 366w.

It is possible some quirk either in the game/drivers/bios is triggering something on this particular card, perhaps allowing it to suck down even more power than 500 watts before their power supply's over current protection kicks in. The FTW3 has 3 power connectors compared to 2 on the XC3, so if something like that happened the XC3 wouldn't get to dangerous levels. It seems some people have been able to unbrick by switching to the secondary bios.

I have one of the 3090 Xc3 running on a hybrid cooler and it's been flawless for months, but I haven't tried new world yet. And obviously I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole now.

Oh dear, it's EVGA.... I don't know why that brand is so liked by some people. They have some sort of serious bricking or GPU dying problem every generation.

Mostly the 3090 FtW3 this gen. They had a lot of issues early on but seemed to have ironed it out until this. Pretty shitty.

As for why they're liked, a lot of it is the warranty service. It's generally very good, and they also offer extended warranties for pretty cheap. Regular warranties are also transferable to new owners when you sell the card which helps with resale value (most manufacturers do not do this). There's also the step up program, and their queue system which has helped a lot of people get cards.

Arucardo

Oct 28, 2017
I recall Starcraft 2 having similar issues at launch with uncapped menus frying some peoples cards, also there's been a few cases where NVIDIA released bugged drivers that lacked or had bugged overheating/overvoltage protection and fried some peoples cards.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Given how my EVGA FTW3 card ends up throttling itself on stock settings, this is not surprising news to me.

Undervolt/turn down your power limits, folks.

3090? I don't think that's how supposed to perform.

I have a FTW3 model but it's the 3070. It never throttles, it doesn't even get over 65°C at full load on stock settings

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Holy shit what, I just downloaded this game last night. Guess I'm not playing it

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit what, I just downloaded this game last night. Guess I'm not playing it
FWIW, this seems to be a problem specifically with the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra and not any other variant of the 3090. That specific card appears to have a defect causing this issue. If you have any other 3090 I wouldn't be concerned.

e: Apparently a Gigabyte card has been having some issues as well, though I still don't get the impression this is a widespread thing among 3080s and 3090s.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
FWIW, this seems to be a problem specifically with the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra and not any other variant of the 3090. That specific card appears to have a defect causing this issue. If you have any other 3090 I wouldn't be concerned.

There has been reports of Gigabyte 3090s also turning into 2.5k € paperweights.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

My 3080 goes ham in the menu though and it really fucking sucks with those queue times. My room heats up by a few degrees (it gets really hot in here) because of that :(

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
The Devs responded to the issue asking people to cap their frame rates.

forums.newworld.com

Known Issue: EVGA RTX 3090 & 100% GPU Usage

Hi Adventurers, Thank you all for sharing your reports about this problem, we believe this is related with driver settings and frame rate limiters. Disable the overrides in the driver settings, Make sure to press “APPLY” Restart the game client. Also you can cap your FPS. This will help...

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Upgraded my Gigabyte Aorus 3080 to an EVGA 3080 Ti yesterday and was going to try this game today.

Just got a beta code and I'm tempted to try it. Seems like 3090s are mostly, or entirely, the ones affected.

EDIT: Decided to try it. Started thundering outside as soon as I launched the game. Could be a sign.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
My 3080 goes ham in the menu though and it really fucking sucks with those queue times. My room heats up by a few degrees (it gets really hot in here) because of that :(

You could install MSI Afterburner + RivaTuner and use that to cap games FPS to e.g. 5 for when queuing. That should drop power draw and by result temps quite a bit.