• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DQDQDQ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My email?

I've got a different secure password on that and it's easier to recover if I lose it. Proving your identify to Microsoft can get sorted out.

It's good that you have a unique and secure password on your email. It's your most important account. With access to that, an attacker could simply reset the password to most of your other services. Unfortunately, email can be broken into from anywhere in the world. 2FA should be something you physically carry on you. You *can* use email when places give you the option, but it's the least secure option. Email <<<<<<<<< SMS << App < Physical security key

OP
OP
GrubChub

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's good that you have a unique and secure password on your email. It's your most important account. With access to that, an attacker could simply reset the password to most of your other services. Unfortunately, email can be broken into from anywhere in the world. 2FA should be something you physically carry on you. You *can* use email when places give you the option, but it's the least secure option. Email <<<<<<<<< SMS << App < Physical security key

Yeah, I personally like Steams app. Never had an issue since adding it to my account and get a notification almost instantly when logging in somewhere else. It's great.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Everyone should grab their Recovery Codes after enabling 2FA (anywhere). In case of no phone or other emergency. Don't see it mentioned enough.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I activate 2FA for every account I have that supports it. I use Google Authenticator for my Microsoft account (and Google, and Ubi, and a lot of other stuff), but maybe I should do some investigating why Authy is better...
Everyone should grab their Recovery Codes after enabling 2FA (anywhere). In case of no phone or other emergency. Don't see it mentioned enough.
Yeah, it's always good to have. I don't think I've needed to use any (maybe one once, for some reason I can't remember) but it's always good to have them around. I have a folder with them all "printed" out as PDFs, and I plan on actually printing them out and stuffing them somewhere too as a backup.

I'd be screwed in OP's situation, because I made my PSN account on a PSP like... 2006? 2007? I have no idea where that thing is.

I hope things get sorted for you, OP! Thanks for posting this thread too, since whenever someone posts a PSA thread like this it convinces some people to finally sign up themselves for 2FA (like... every time).

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks guys, went and checked my old 2sv activation email to get the codes, I had totally missed the thing about the 10 emergency codes!

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
My condolences OP. Something similar happened to a friend of mine. He got slightly aggressive whilst staying polite and managed to get his account back, after a bunch of phone calls and emails where he had to send them a scan of his ID. There are too many incompetent Sony reps out there, so you have to try several times until someone feels like helping.

OP
OP
GrubChub

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My condolences OP. Something similar happened to a friend of mine. He got slightly aggressive whilst staying polite and managed to get his account back, after a bunch of phone calls and emails where he had to send them a scan of his ID. There are too many incompetent Sony reps out there, so you have to try several times until someone feels like helping.

See, this is what I am talking about. I'd be more than happy to send that stuff in. But they ask for the same questions every time and when I explain that I started the account with a launch PS3 they tell me that I need that info. No real help, whatsoever. And it sucks worse because it feels like because I am "loyal" to Sony and continue buying the newest systems they put out, I am screwed over. It really sucks.

Also, when they removed Drive Club did they totally remove it, or just remove the ability to purchase it? Because I definitely didn't get a chance to redownload that before they took it off... but I never quite understood the situation.

Update
OP
OP
GrubChub

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
UPDATE: Account is back into my possession! The BBB complaint got their attention immediately. Thanks for your support and glad this thread helped people not need to go through this. I already added 2SV to the account and I'm ready for Death Stranding!

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
UPDATE: Account is back into my possession! The BBB complaint got their attention immediately. Thanks for your support and glad this thread helped people not need to go through this. I already added 2SV to the account and I'm ready for Death Stranding!

That's great news! I've won a few disputes using BBB complaints. It works so well.

I used a fake date of birth back when I signed up so I'd be even more screwed than you OP lol
But why?

DQDQDQ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A reason to use a fake birth date is that if somebody is targeting you specifically, they can probably find out what your birth date is and that's another piece of data they can use to trick somebody into handing over your account. I've done it before, but there's a specific fake date that I use so it's not just forgotten. Same with a street address.

Another thing I never do is answer a security question with a real answer. "What is your mother's maiden name?" is something I will never answer with the correct response. I use those as blanks for additional passwords.

Try breaking into my account Mehmet.

tumblr_n067k0I1H71qz5q5lo1_500.gif

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Sony supported authentication apps instead of SMS, not that hard to get around that if a hacker wanted to...

I had a few things on google authenticator, changed phones and lost access to the authenticated accounts. Luckily it was just Discord and some other minor site, but I'm terrified of authenticator apps now. If my PSN was on it I'd be screwed.

It doesn't use data. Authy (or google authenticator or whatever other app) uses your device's clock to generate a 2fa code that changes every 30 seconds. You set up a site by scanning a QR code or manually typing in the key.

Actually, come to think of it, one of them was my Nintendo Online account, and I got that one back with a QR code I think, but I'm not 100% confident in them.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I had a few things on google authenticator, changed phones and lost access to the authenticated accounts. Luckily it was just Discord and some other minor site, but I'm terrified of authenticator apps now. If my PSN was on it I'd be screwed.
I just changed phones a few days ago.

You just sign in to those accounts, disable 2FA, then set it up again on the authenticator on the new device.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this thread. I thought I had 2FA set up everywhere, but I didn't on my PSN account. Again, appreciate the heads up!

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
How stupid can a company be to change the email to an account without sending a confirmation email to the previous account first to verify.

Then to make it worst not have a way to revert changes?

DQDQDQ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just changed phones a few days ago.

You just sign in to those accounts, disable 2FA, then set it up again on the authenticator on the new device.

If you have 2FA enabled you can't sign in on a new device without the 2FA code. That's literally the reason 2FA exists. If you can simply sign into the account with the password and disable 2FA, then 2FA is entirely pointless.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
What happens when you click Activate Now on my setup (with HTTPS Everywhere); I really hope PlayStation clean up their web service ahead of PS5. They seem to be working on it, but good lord, work faster.

PxI0hDN.png

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
If you have 2FA enabled you can't sign in on a new device without the 2FA code. That's literally the reason 2FA exists. If you can simply sign into the account with the password and disable 2FA, then 2FA is entirely pointless.
You misunderstand.

I'm not talking about doing so on a new device, I'm talking about moving your authenticator from one phone to another. Even though you can transfer apps to a new phone or redownload the app on your new phone, none of the accounts that you were using the authenticator app for will migrate. If you still have the old phone or you typically sign in to these accounts on a laptop/PC, you would likely already be signed in, or if not, these would be recognized devices so you won't be prompted (and again, if you do still have the old phone, it's not a problem at all). From there you can manage the accounts and set up 2FA on the authenticator on the new phone.

Even if you lost the old phone or it stops working, and you're asked for verification for these accounts, you just use a backup code that was given to you when you set up the account. Then you can sign in and manage the account as above.

DQDQDQ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You misunderstand.

I'm not talking about doing so on a new device, I'm talking about moving your authenticator from one phone to another. Even though you can transfer apps to a new phone or redownload the app on your new phone, none of the accounts that you were using the authenticator app for will migrate. If you still have the old phone or you typically sign in to these accounts on a laptop/PC, you would likely already be signed in, or if not, these would be recognized devices so you won't be prompted (and again, if you do still have the old phone, it's not a problem at all). From there you can manage the accounts and set up 2FA on the authenticator on the new phone.

Even if you lost the old phone or it stops working, and you're asked for verification for these accounts, you just use a backup code that was given to you when you set up the account. Then you can sign in and manage the account as above.

Wasn't clear from your post but this works. I prefer Authy and it's easier to move that to another phone without having to re-setup the 40+ accounts I have 2FA enabled on.

Better keep my old PS3s hanging around!

Take a picture of the serial and keep it in your cloud backup.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Similar situation happened to me around PS4 launch, I had my account stolen and my card was charged for hundreds so my Bank called me and I said it wasn't me they charged it back my account got banned and I lost thousands spent in games on ps3 4 and vita, close to 10 years of plus games and trophies. Like how was I supposed to know a chargeback can't be done on psn accounts, someone stole my money and I told my bank it wasn't me. I was fuckin pissed stopped gaming on consoles from 2013 to late 2018 but I'm back on PlayStation I just missed the exclusives and trophy hunting. Fuck Sony and their shitty practices regarding accounts. Everyone should be required to use 2 factor.
I don't see how this is possible, as far back as at least 2011 on PS3, it was made that signing into your PSN account on a new device required re-entering card information.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017

Actually, come to think of it, one of them was my Nintendo Online account, and I got that one back with a QR code I think, but I'm not 100% confident in them.

That's precisely why I store my 2FA codes in 1Password, so I have access to them anywhere.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I activated mine few months ago. My password is extremely complicated though, to the point that I have to look for the piece of paper I wrote it on every time I want to purchase something.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty easy to spoof your cellphone number so you receive SMS intended for someone else.
Spoofing a cellphone number does not work with incoming text or calls. Only outgoing. You either have to intercept the text by hacking the cell tower the phone is connected to or social engineer customer service to allow you to activate a new sim card. Both are too much work for any random person.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Depending on if you still have the phone you can actually recover those accounts as google auth is honestly so fucking insecure that it leaves your token secret keys unencrypted.

Nov 14, 2017
Spoofing a cellphone number does not work with incoming text or calls. Only outgoing. You either have to intercept the text by hacking the cell tower the phone is connected to or social engineer customer service to allow you to activate a new sim card. Both are too much work for any random person.
No, there's a hack you can do with how calls are routed internationally. Basically, you can advertise that the SIM is roaming and networks will just believe it and give you the SMS message. It used to be quite hard but as the hardware has become more widely available it's more feasible for attackers to exploit.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Really wish I could use Authy with my PSN account. 2Factor over SMS is so insecure...

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fuck? If you're all digital don't they have a fingerprint of all your credit card purchases over the last 13 years.

Seems like you should only have to provide your driver's license and at least 1 of the credit cards/accounts to prove it is you.

SecondVariety

Oct 29, 2017
The fact that someone else snaked your 2FA should be reason enough to indicate why it's time to get around to doing it for anyone. This includes myself, someone who refuses to put any payment info into PSN.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading horror stories of people account getting hacked and decided to set up 2FA. Few days after I did it in the middle of the night my phone woke me up with a ton of massages with PSN verification code. I got really lucky.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Whether I ask for a code from the website or through my PS4, it just never comes. I've tried this twenty times by now. wtf