• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sony and MS have two different launch strategies. New games vs Old games. Sony clearly would rather wait until their launch games are ready to show off (hence why Godfall was previewed overnight, it's gone Gold but Sony's other games havent yet)

The console is out in less than two months... regardless of the COVID argument and working from home fallback position people use, they should be showing a lot more than they have.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we're over the semantics of what is and is not loading by this time next year.
tenor.gif

This will be the new battle ground.

Some ppl called this months....years? (damn) ago in the next gen speculation threads.:

TF vs SSD. And this was before official reveals from either company. Just the official acknowledgement of them using SSDs. That was also before official reveal of the Series X TF amount.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
The console is out in less than two months... regardless of the COVID argument and working from home fallback position people use, they should be showing a lot more than they have.

I'm aware of that. But the games arent ready yet. It is what it is. When they'l have their launch titles ready, they'll show more.

COVID or not, letting their teams finish their launch games instead of having to focus on previews and demo builds is better. Just means we gotta wait a little longer.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Where exactly is the action? Aren't these respawns in the very same (small looking) level?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
i think people who post about "small" difference dont actually play Console games.

Long loading times for games, be that in levels, respawn, starting the game, different worlds, etc, have been huge problem for consoles for a very long time. Crazy custom PCIe 4.0 controllers and SSDs are designed to create completely new concepts of gameplay in the future.

Otherwise, they could have simply put standard SSD and save $100 per unit sold.

Custom storage solution + more RAM is going to make more difference for Console experience than new GPUs.
It's very exciting. I play on all platforms; even still on PC there's that friction to actually getting into a game (I only have SSD's in my system) that these new consoles are going to bypass (initially) from the sounds of it.

I think that the only game that you can rapidly boot into on PC is the Witcher. Launch it, spam space bar and you're in the game within 15-20 seconds

Deleted member 25128

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Only people that seem to think that are people on Era. All I see on my social media feeds are the ps5 girlfriend memes.

Seen lots of posts on twitter and Facebook complaining about the lack of information from Sony... pretty sure they are not all on era.

But seriously though I know lots of people who are not on era who think the same. I don't know, I guess we can use the Era bubble excuse every time we want to ignore opposite opinions... and this is talking from someone who has a ps5 pre-ordered... is it really that complicated to know about the machine that we are spending £449 on?.. and even if you don't think people need or care, how difficult is it to do good Pr. PS4 PR was really good, PS5 has been poor. You may or may not agree, that's fine, but that's my opinion.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

This will be the new battle ground.

Some ppl called this months....years? (damn) ago in the next gen speculation threads.:

TF vs SSD. And this was before official reveals from either company. Just the official acknowledgement of them using SSDs. That was also before official reveal of the Series X TF amount.

Damnit, fine I guess.

Deleted member 25128

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Statements like this are always baffling to me because it implies that consoles are not intended...to play games?

OK I mentioned loading times of old games, but this also relates to launch games... they could easily just collate all the NEW games and show loading times, death/loading etc.. I mean the last show Sony did, it didn't even put a montage together of the games coming out at launch, you had to read the blog. Some games didn't even state they were launch games, again you had to find out in a blog... its just basic stuff....So its baffling to me that.. you mention games, and this is exactly what they are not doing a good job of, talking about the games, and how the console will make these games better. Really do believe MS is doing a better job of that right now... and this is coming from someone who isn't buying an Xbox.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Xbox hasn't showed any games according to people here, apparently.
As a consumer who MS and Sony are targeting with new hardware, I'm far more interested in the specs and features of the new console than I am in what appears to be mostly cross-generational titles. The PS5s UI and features are way more important to me than Godfall. Ideally they'd be showing a combination of both, which I think MS has been more successful at doing so far, although the games they're showing are BC titles in order to show off their console's new features. Still a long 30+ days to go until launch, so there's plenty of time. Also not sure how many next gen games have gone gold yet.

May 12, 2020
Seen lots of posts on twitter and Facebook complaining about the lack of information from Sony... pretty sure they are not all on era.

But seriously though I know lots of people who are not on era who think the same. I don't know, I guess we can use the Era bubble excuse every time we want to ignore opposite opinions... and this is talking from someone who has a ps5 pre-ordered... is it really that complicated to know about the machine that we are spending £449 on?.. and even if you don't think people need or care, how difficult is it to do good Pr. PS4 PR was really good, PS5 has been poor. You may or may not agree, that's fine, but that's my opinion.

IDK I guess I'm just happy that I have a price, release date, new next-gen games to play at launch. I don't care about the console breakdown and UI is whatever, I'll spend most of my time playing games.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
There are already games that load fast this gen. The Last of Us 2 even has near instant respawn when you die. The difference is every game should have this now upon death, as well as super fast (relatively) cold boots for games, and super fast loading transitions mid gameplay as seen in that Demon's Souls gif. This is something that should be homogenized with every game now with similar load times across the board, not having a game that loads instantly vs 10 seconds vs 1 minute anymore.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Sony has shown a couple first party not cross gen titles though :S
I've only seen Demon's Souls, and it's awesome, but I still want to know more about the console features. I'm not concerned about it. Still plenty of time for that. The argument that only one console maker is using games to demonstrate their console is straight outa Gamefaqs though.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
People here going gaga over what PC players have been used to for years now. SSD of any kind is a huge improvement over HDDs. I'll be more impressed when you see the speed of the SSD actually utilized to swap entire areas and thus allowing for new gameplay things rather than the confined areas connected with some stupid "shimmy through a narrow part" sections design found in current games.

Then you also need to have the game designed to support this sort of thing or it's back to loading screens, just shorter ones. Even with current gen you can look at Nioh vs From Software games. Nioh has very quick respawn times whereas From Software games reload the whole level it seems. It's not like From Software games even have to do this because every time you use a bonfire it just resets the state and position of all enemies in the world so on death it could just do that and teleport the player back to the bonfire. But I am sure there is some practical reason this is not done, either legacy engine architecture preventing it or the part of the area not being in memory so it needs to be loaded. From Software games have far more visually complex areas than Nioh in most places.

spwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I've only seen Demon's Souls, and it's awesome, but I still want to know more about the console features. I'm not concerned about it. Still plenty of time for that. The argument that only one console maker is using games to demonstrate their console is straight outa Gamefaqs though.

It is what it is.

As to seeing games, isn't whole big deal about new ratchet and clank that you can instantly switch worlds? They showed that months ago and talked about it.

Deleted member 25128

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
IDK I guess I'm just happy that I have a price, release date, new next-gen games to play at launch. I don't care about the console breakdown and UI is whatever, I'll spend most of my time playing games.

And that's cool.. that's what info you are looking for for getting this console.. I've pre-ordered it but I just feel PR is lacking on things that are really easy to show..and this is coming from a Sony Fan/supporter..

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
No, it's not. Instant means zero seconds.
And you can have that on current gen too (and has actually) since it means that you're hiding the loading i.e. you stream in data while gameplay.
Initial loading though will never be "instant".
Zero seconds? Thats your argument for why 5 seconds can't be considered as near instant? Instant means immediate or a short space of time. Most of the loading demo for next gen games we have seen at least for PS5 has been less than 3 seconds. Anything less than 5 seconds to me is near instant.

When they say no load time, they mean no waiting on a loading screen, they're not talking about streaming. These transitions in next gen games are not there to hide loading, they are there to smooth out the change from one level to another as textures and models populate. I think of it more like hiding the jarring change of the level rather trying to disguise how long it takes to load.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Loading times aren't the only benefit of the SSD. The SSD with the use of Oodle Texture and Oodle Kraken can read speeds of ~16.5GB/s. This means that you can clear and re-fill the whole of system RAM in less than a second. You can literally call things from storage to RAM as the player turns the camera at those speeds. This will allow for more detailed, dense environments and greater possibilities in game design. It really is the revolutionary aspect of this generation.
If everything in RAM are textures, then you probably could. But that's not the case. I genuinely don't get how people think oddle textures can be applied to general game data. It's literally in the name.

I agree with you saying SSD are great for more than loading and they are indeed revolutionary, because in a few years time even third party games will use SSD as the baseline and this will enable new level designs.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

But only one console maker currently is using their next gen games to show their next gen console. That is true fact 🤷
I mean. i am super happy with xsx BC. if i ever buy one. but let's not move goal posts for the sake of argument.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Zero seconds? Thats your argument for why 5 seconds can't be considered as near instant? Instant means immediate or a short space of time. Most of the loading demo for next gen games we have seen at least for PS5 has been less than 3 seconds. Anything less than 5 seconds to me is near instant.

When they say no load time, they mean no waiting on a loading screen, they're not talking about streaming. These transitions in next gen games are not their to hide loading, they are there to smooth out the change from on level to another as textures and models populate. I think of it more like hiding the jarring change of the level rather trying to disguise how long it takes to load.

Yeah sony constantly said "near instant" loading, an instant is still an amount of time lol. 2-5 seconds depending on what you're actually loading is what I expected.

Like if I'm playing Ratchet and I wanna open a rift and jump to another planet I'm still expecting that transition to take a few seconds. That's absolutely near-instant to me.

Cold booting a game or loading a new level will still take a few seconds but you'll see more transitions like in Astrobot rather than separate load screens

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

Sure that registers, but barely. I think they have done a great job showing off the hardware and features, but an exceptionally poor job showing off actual software. I mean I've played Gears 5 on PC sometime ago and it is a good game, but very strange way to headline your next console. And it has been so far, in terms of how much they have focused on it. I mean focusing on 120fps in particular is so marginal. On the other hand, agreed that Sony has done a pretty poor job of showcasing the system and features so far. Still, i doubt that is a significant factor in selling the system to anybody really. Now, if they show nothing of it before launch, then they criticism is even more valid. But still 4 or 5 weeks to launch and they have realed games, date and price. Those are the major factors.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
If everything in RAM are textures, then you probably could. But that's not the case. I genuinely don't get how people think oddle textures can be applied to general game data. It's literally in the name.

I agree with you saying SSD are great for more than loading and they are indeed revolutionary, because in a few years time even third party games will use SSD as the baseline and this will enable new level designs.

Brainwash.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious how games like No Man's Sky benefit on consoles.

On PC with SSDs, everything loads fast and there's little or no pop-in.

On consoles, you can see rocks and trees generating right in front of you if you fly too fast around a planet.

Hopefully the consoles have finally caught up on that.
It will be quite an improvement especially if they optimize for the new consoles. The low specs of ps4/Xbox one are a much bigger issue than the drive when it comes to pop in, they can't process all the real-time generation fast enough.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland

It isn't just Oodle Texture, it's a combination of both that and Kraken. Kraken is a great compression tool but it had problems with textures - this is why Rad Gaming Tools developed Oodle Textures to use in combination with Kraken. A combination of both tools gets you a compression ratio of 3.1x compared to 1.45-1.65x with Kraken alone.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Is there any footage of DMC5SE's loading times? They are awful on current gen

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But they've said that there would be no loadings...

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Their messaging on this (and PS5 in general) could be a lot better.
2.5 sec is great but tbh I doubt that many people will notice the difference here between 2.5 and 8 or even 10.
From 2.5 to 10 sec is a 300% increase in loading times. I wager everybody can tell the difference.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I haven't seen indications Oodles Texture would be used in launch games. It's probably too early.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Like I made with DeS, here is "Time between player agency" clip for the initial load of Astrobot (timing calculations based on vid framerate of 59.94fps):

Yes, but in this case what would be the point in doing that if your entire game uncompressed could fit into available RAM with no issues?

Fair point but I have no idea how large that data set is when uncompressed and how it would affect the game's performance in run time given the interactions among different types of data and the size of each piece of said data.

Last edited:

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
This is the stuff that Sony should be showing off, I just don't know why they haven't done it yet. The SSD is faster on PS5 than Xbox, and its an easy win to show off (and easy).
They have but mostly focused on next gen games. Starting from 2019 they showed the Spiderman loading demo and then over months as next gen games got announced they showed ratchet and clank and demon souls gameplay with near instant loading. Astrobot playroom loading was long but this new demo shows a big improvement from the first demo. All in all they are roughly 3 seconds long.

A good way to think about it. It took Microsoft this long to show this information because they have a set timeline and schedule by which they are releasing information. The same holds true for Sony. They have a marketing department and a schedule they go by. They aren't just deciding to show stuff just because the enthusiast gaming customers are very impatient and eager to know more about the new consoles.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Impressive! The SSD seems to be a real game-changer, games will benefit greatly from this.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Like I made with DeS, here is "Time between player agency" clip for the initial load of Astrobot (timing calculations based vid framerate of 59.94fps):

Fair point but I have no idea how large that data set is when uncompressed and how it would affect the game's performance in run time given the interactions among different types of data and the size of each piece of said data.
Nice work mate.