• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
First of all its super convenient having a mic built into the controller, right? Its just right there whenever you need it, no plugging anything else in or whatever. But!

1. Forgetting about the mic and leaving it on while playing online is a big yikes! I wonder how many people (definitely not me every time) will do this.
2. All your gameplay clips you save will have an echo in them because the mic picks up the game too. Unless you turn it off, but then you cant talk.

Controller mic - good invention or menace to society?

(I like it overall)

BurstLayer

Feb 6, 2019
Hero for me, I used to use so many convoluted ways to not buy a proper headset now I don't need them

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Menace. Means I can no longer use the excuse of not having a mic when I don't want to voice chat with people.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just put it on mute by default? I love having the option to do a quick chat without having to grab my headset.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
You can make auto mute when logging on. Also holding the mute button mutes all incoming sound. I'm fine with it since I can mute it by default anyway and it's just there if I ever need it.

Last edited:

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a nice feature to have in a pinch but I'd turn it off and never look back.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god it has one? I can hear the crying babies, chirping fire alarms and blown out music already.

tenor.gif

To answer the question it's an absolute menace.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
It was annoying at first when my voice could be heard in gameplay recordings, but once I put it on auto-mute in settings, it is no longer an issue.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It being there is nifty enough to ensure everyone has a microphone, both for communication and gamepaly gimmicks. You have a decent selection of settings to set the default state, but what really bothers me is that the light is displayed for when it's OFF instead of when it's ON

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
For me the biggest issue of the mic addition is that when it's on, it tuns all haptics and trigger feedbacks to the weakest states and you know in online gaming you keep mic on most of the times so it gonna hinder the gameplay experience. So they better update this and at least allow the feedback to stay strong while the controller is hooked up to the mic if they fear depleting the battery lcharge.

Also what about the voice assistant thing? That would have been so useful now with the mic integrated especially that the PS4 allows it to command your console but not the PS5 that has built in mic in its controller? So weird.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
For me the biggest issue of the mic addition is that when it's on, it tuns all haptics and trigger feedbacks to the weakest states and you know in online gaming you keep mic on most of the times so it gonna hinder the gameplay experience. So they better update this and at least allow the feedback to stay strong while the controller is hooked up to the mic if they fear depleting the battery lcharge.

Also what about the voice assistant thing? That would have been so useful now with the mic integrated especially that the PS4 allows it to command your console but not the PS5 that has built in mic in its controller? So weird.
Yeah ive been trying to find that they had even a minimal one on PS4 would be nice to just hold R2 and tell it to open a game

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Hero, without question.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to play an online game with a friend over the years only to find they had no microphone or a terrible earbud solution laced with feedback/buzzing.

The mic is a godsend.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah ive been trying to find that they had even a minimal one on PS4 would be nice to just hold R2 and tell it to open a game

Me"PlayStation, launch Spider-Man"
then PlayStaion asks : " which one you want?"
I say: "Miles (or Remastered)"

It would have been the dream coming true. Very useful and practical to control the console shutting down and all too.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Me"PlayStation, launch Spider-Man"
then PlayStaion asks : " which one you want?"
I say: "Miles (or Remastered)"

It would have been the dream coming true. Very useful and practical to control the console shutting down and all too.
Yeah It would. Right now my quick shut down is PS button hit left and I get the power menu to turn off/rest

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I tried it and found the sound was very clear both ways which is great but hearing the other person even on full volume was just a little too quiet so I had to switch to the ear bud. Is there a sound setting to turn up outside of the sound menu? Like in the controller settings?

Oct 27, 2017

So with out some sort of background muting tech this seems like this will be awful with clicking and such would be nice if they had some sort of Nvidia rtx voice like program set up to take out the background noise. Who wants to hear all that during voice chat. Could you imagine 6 people in party with clicks and clacks the whole time.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I leave it defaulted to off. It sounds good as long as you're not using the controller (hitting buttons etc), but it sounds horrible if you're actually playing the game while using the controller. It picks up all of those sounds and bombards everyone listening with them. Not good. But it's not for multiplayer gaming. It's for speech-to-text and issuing voice commands, which is awesome.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I haven't played anything with online multiplayer since I got my PS5, but I will make sure to change the system default to off now that you mention it. Menace.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I don't really play online games so the mic doesn't have much use to me. It would have been useful for voice activated commands like "Playstation Open Game", but that doesn't exist on PS5 at the moment while it does on PS4.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing research into how many people who play multiplayer games need to have their smoke detector's battery replaced so the mic is a godsend.

Oct 25, 2017
In the UK here so I haven't been able to check it out yet; is the mic actually any good lol? Does it pick you up and/or have good quality?

ComradeYork

Oct 27, 2017
The quality is surprisingly good and it means I can use my nice Audio Technicas rather than some cheap gamer headset. I always wear headphones when playing as is so the echo thing isn't an issue for me, and I mute everyone in games anyway.

Absolutely loving it as a feature tbh.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Dude I got on GTA V on PS5 and the way the entire lobby came blasting out the controller was hilarious.

Hero but also a Menace

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i really like the accessibility of the option in my hand to mute/unmute when i want. i don't have to take my hands off the controller.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I'd say it's a hero. My party in ghost of Tsushima said it sounded better than my headphone mic and it's nice to have the mute button easily accessible. It's also nice to save the battery on my headset for ps5 games with 3D audio

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly glad to have it, and glad the mute button is on the controller itself.

Last edited:

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
I didn't realize that the ps5 has voice to text until I tried to send my friend a voice message