• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Now that's very unusual....
That awkward moment when you buy that and put it in a Series X. I assume there has to be maybe some reasoning for the PS5 branding other than encouraging consumers to get a PS5 to play it?

I imagine it's because Sony will quit making standalone 4k Blu-ray players outside of the top tier ones that cost like $1000, and will make the PS5 their 4k player for the general public.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
That awkward moment when you buy that and put it in a Series X. I assume there has to be maybe some reasoning for the PS5 branding other than encouraging consumers to get a PS5 to play it?
Nope. That's exactly what it is. Associating PS5 branding with their UHD discs is a great marketing tactic.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I dont use a receiver, and it wouldn't provide Dolby Vision to my TV if the console didnt support it. Obviously we buy consoles for gaming, but many of us also care about the media apps and their capabilities. Like it or not, these are not simply gaming machines anymore. They haven't been for quite some time. People are buying brand new TVs now to take advantage of the new capabilities. If one of those isn't Dolby Vision, I'll be disappointed, as will others. Sony has branded their X900H TVs as PS5-ready. And the X900H supports DV, so there's hope.
Again, i understand your point, but first, we are still to be confirmed if it does or doesn't have such codecd, and if it doesn't, it is probably to avoid licencing, which, as everything included in the console, raises cost.
And just being compatible with HDR10+ is about the same as DV, unless I'm mistaken, in fact most people probably don't have DV certified TVs.
I also think the time when consoles were the main media center are gone, so chances are that these things are quite low on the priority list.
So while i understand some may be disappointed, if that ends being the case, truth is that this is a mainstream device, so there's no justification in increasing the cost... when this is something that usually caters to people who spend quite a bit $$ on their set up, so they may already have a uhdbr player, a receiver etc

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
It definitely supports Dolby vision then, if it didn't they wouldn't be advertising PS5 on ever UHD bluray disc.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Again, i understand your point, but first, we are still to be confirmed if it does or doesn't have such codecd, and if it doesn't, it is probably to avoid licencing, which, as everything included in the console, raises cost.
And just being compatible with HDR10+ is about the same as DV, unless I'm mistaken, in fact most people probably don't have DV certified TVs.
I also think the time when consoles were the main media center are gone, so chances are that these things are quite low on the priority list.
So while i understand some may be disappointed, if that ends being the case, truth is that this is a mainstream device, so there's no justification in increasing the cost... when this is something that usually caters to people who spend quite a bit $$ on their set up, so they may already have a uhdbr player, a receiver etc
By all accounts DV has beaten HDR10+ in the standards race. Someone just needs to tell Samsung they lost.

It definitely supports Dolby vision then, if it didn't they wouldn't be advertising PS5 on ever UHD bluray disc.

Thats my hope as well.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Xsx doesn't explicitly say Dolby vision or atmos for movies and their press releases etc have specifically only talked about it for games

so for all we know neither have it out of box. Maybe you have to run a 'Dolby' app which allows them to only pay licensing fees based on active users rather than all shipped boxes, and as a result they can't put the sticker on the box itself

I thought this was promised for One X disc playback but we never got it.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Checked the last releases of 4 of them movies so far, 3 were HDR10, Venom is HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Well hopefully it's because they are bringing back demos that are installed on movie discs..

lyshm489fmez.jpg

Or they are renaming "Sony" Corp... to "PS5". 😆

So the whole One Sony thing was no joke. 😬

My PS3 had a Ghostbusters theme that was on the BluRay movie disk.

Also I think Hancock had a digital copy that was playable on PSP and PS3.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
In this case it is. The good thing is Sony on their TVs is supporting DV. So that bodes well for the console.
Which makes those complains even less reasonable, at least until we have confirmation ( there's always the possibility to update firmware to include it or even activate them from the menus, as happened with ps3 if i remember correctly, so only then the license is payed and they save quite an amount of money since most will never do probably.)

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well hopefully it's because they are bringing back demos that are installed on movie discs..

lyshm489fmez.jpg

Or they are renaming "Sony" Corp... to "PS5". 😆

So the whole One Sony thing was no joke. 😬
Wow damn do not remember them trying stuff like this

I imagine it's because Sony will quit making standalone 4k Blu-ray players outside of the top tier ones that cost like $1000, and will make the PS5 their 4k player for the general public.
I can totally see that.
It's Sony Pictures/films?

Why not not brand it with PS5?
Idk I just felt like Sony generally keeps separation among enterainment avenues. Like Games stay in their lane, movies stay in their lane etc. I just couldn't fathom PS5 branding Movies for some reason.
Nope. That's exactly what it is. Associating PS5 branding with their UHD discs is a great marketing tactic.
Maybe encourage otherwise non PS5 consumers to get a PS5 just to play 4K Bluerays and possibly entice them to get into games as well? That is pretty genius the more I think about it.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
The thread is littered with pictures of ps5 boxes. One picture showed the omission of atmos.
No it didn't. It showed the omission of the Atmos logo, which is not the same thing. If you've been reading the thread, you've also seen photos of a standalone Sony UHD player, which has the same "Dolby Audio" logo as PS5...but does support Atmos.

Your posts rely on the assumption that lack of logo equals lack of support, which we know to be false. PS5 may or may not support Atmos, but the missing logo isn't evidence toward any conclusion.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I think it's probably more using PS5 to sell. UHDs, rather than the other way around. PS5 will sell better than physical 4K Blu Rays. They also had similar branding on Blu Rays when they came out, for ps3, but they were much less obtrusive (stickers).

Still, going to be bollocks if their UHDs support DV and the PS5 doesn't, once PS5 is on the case. That's some misleading shit.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's probably more using PS5 to sell. UHDs, rather than the other way around. PS5 will sell better than physical 4K Blu Rays. They also had similar branding on Blu Rays when they came out, for ps3, but they were much less obtrusive (stickers).

Still, going to be bollocks if their UHDs support DV and the PS5 doesn't, once PS5 is on the case. That's some misleading shit.

Why? UHDs aren't some unwatchable trash without DV

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Xsx doesn't explicitly say Dolby vision or atmos for movies and their press releases etc have specifically only talked about it for games

so for all we know neither have it out of box. Maybe you have to run a 'Dolby' app which allows them to only pay licensing fees based on active users rather than all shipped boxes, and as a result they can't put the sticker on the box itself

Well on my Xbox right now it has Atmos for apps, BRs, and games and apps also have DV. No app purchase is necessary if you already have a Atmos sound system and DV compatible TV. No reason why that would suddenly change.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Because it looks shit in marketing if you are saying "hey, the PS5 is the perfect place to play this blu Ray! oh wait, you can't use everything on the disc with the PS5"

Why link a product in marketing that can't fully support the product you're linking?
While also marketing a TV as a PS5 TV and having it support DV. For the PS5 to not support it would be a blunder, but let's wait and see if it does or doesn't first.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
images

ah hell yeah! Sony sent MEEE a box too! I feel #blessed. Please like, comment, subscribe, and give me one patreon dollar.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This thread is still going on about Dolby Vision?! The console releases in three weeks. *NOBODY* is buying this as a DV enabled 4k player on day one. Yes, it's a nice to have, but I'm sure the info will be confirmed either way in due course.

All this over a logo that's not even on the Series X box, which does have DV included. C'mon.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ahh the season of smug influencers getting freebies mugging ridiculous thumbnails all over YouTube

Great.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This thread is still going on about Dolby Vision?! The console releases in three weeks. *NOBODY* is buying this as a DV enabled 4k player on day one. Yes, it's a nice to have, but I'm sure the info will be confirmed either way in due course.

All this over a logo that's not even on the Series X box, which does have DV included. C'mon.
Especially when HDR works as well right now for most panels lol nobody even has a panel that hits minimum spec brightness for it yet.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Idk I just felt like Sony generally keeps separation among enterainment avenues. Like Games stay in their lane, movies stay in their lane etc. I just couldn't fathom PS5 branding Movies for some reason.
There's the next Uncharted film with Tom Holland, also Into The Spider-Verse credit song features Insomniac's Spider-Man design appearing.

Might not be too much, but it's a start with the film section alongside PlayStation Productions.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Especially when HDR works as well right now for most panels lol nobody even has a panel that hits minimum spec brightness for it yet.
We've already talked about dynamic metadata vs static, this is what most people want, not the 12 bit millions more colours business.

I'm ready to yield the floor to more comments about tweets of pictures of boxes, though, I'm sure that's much more productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.