• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Hostility against another user, accusations of bias
Why the fuck are people getting banned for calling Jeff grubb a fan boy?.. wtf?

He could be working for windows central or Microsoft with what he posts..

What makes him special here?

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only good looking console this gen is the Series S and even that would be better off as a black option

My man.

Honestly the only good angle for the PS5 is this:
ps5-en-japon-crop1601905168929-jpg-1902800913.jpg

It will be a pain in the ass for discs, but I like this angle.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Is Dolby Vision something that can be brought to the PS5 via software updates?
Probably. Sony likes to use flexible HDMI chips so they were able to add 3D support to almost all PS3s, and HDR support to all PS4s. There's a good chance if there's a new HDMI feature in a few years launch PS5s will be able to support whatever that is too, as long as it doesn't require more bandwidth than the PS5 can handle.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not to mention that you can still play games from the original Xbox. Like, just throw them in the thing and they work. It's insane.

Buying a new console on the Xbox side of things is like buying a new GPU for your PC. You might try a new game, usually it's a new game that prompts the 'ok it's time' decision, but you also fire up older games to see how they run now. You max out that game you hobbled through six months ago and are amazed how much better it looks.

BC isn't the be-all, end-all - on new consoles you want new games, but anyone saying it's not important is just wrong.
A handful of original Xbox games and like 1/4 of X360 games is nothing like PC, not to mention they don't all get upgrades to run better unlike PC. It's nice and better than anyone else is doing on consoles however.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
BC isn't the be-all, end-all - on new consoles you want new games, but anyone saying it's not important is just wrong.
It's a nice to have, it has never been a key driver for sales. Backwards compatibility is great for the first year to help with your catalog of games on any new system. Multi-generational BC appeals to a very, very limited subset of users to the point of being irrelevant.

Pretty much no one is buying a PS5 or Xbox Series S|X to play OG Xbox, PS2 or even 360 and PS3 games. It's a nice selling feature but new content is driving the sales after the launch period.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
I remember reading somewhere it was launching without it due to their tempest audio tech, they use that in games instead of dolby / dts like the xbox does.

It's a pretty big oversight, neither console supports Dolby Vision at launch either, it's apparently coming later for Xbox, not sure if Sony has committed to it. That's obviously less of an issue if HDR 10 (plus) is supported, most TV's support multiple specifications for the same result.
I'm genuinely curious what Sony's solution is for those of us that have Atmos surround sound setups. During The Road to PS5 talk Cerny said that Tempest audio for multi-speaker setups would come some time after launch for games. I didn't think that would mean there would be no 3D audio support at all for movies. UHD bluray movies are encoded in either Atmos or DTS X. I don't know how they can just not support those formats. My guess is they didn't want to pay the license and figured it wouldn't matter anyway because they'll still sell everyone they make regardless.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Why the fuck are people getting banned for calling Jeff grubb a fan boy?.. wtf?

He could be working for windows central or Microsoft with what he posts..

What makes him special here?

He's a member of this community and calling him a fanboy could be classified as antagonizing a fellow member of the community.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
People tend to not understand what is behind the design of a product. Some think PS5 is a beauty, others say it just plain ugly. And that's exactly what Sony wants. People talking about PS5 all the time. Aside from that, no matter how you feel about the PS5 design, if you put it side-by-side with the XSX, PS5 will catch a lot more eyes than the next-gen from Microsoft. XSX will be just another black box in a sea of black boxes.

Yeah I guess that's it. The PS5 makes a statement and you kinda have to have some reaction to it. The SX blends with other electronics, which is good if that's what you prefer.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Last gen they didn't had uhd bluray support. This gen it's missing the most important audio and video technologies. Weird omissions

I'm starting to wonder if you can play UHD BRs out of the box. I find it odd that there's no UHD logo on the box anywhere nor is there any mention of the capability on the box as well. I wonder if you'll have to purchase the software player which will then be what pays the licensing fee all the license fees such as Dolby Atmos and this is how they minimize their license fee hit per unit.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
If Sony didn't want to pay the license fee to dolby couldn't they just pass that on to the owners? Make it so when you activate it on the ps5 you have to pay the $5 or whatever the cost. Just not to include it is a huge oversight

I'm starting to wonder if you can play UHD BRs out of the box. I find it odd that there's no UHD logo on the box anywhere nor is there any mention of the capability on the box as well. I wonder if you'll have to purchase the software player which will then be what pays the licensing fee all the license fees such as Dolby Atmos and this is how they minimize their license fee hit per unit.

Heh was just posting a similar thing. I can't imagine the license fee is significant so that should appease people that want it

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Seem to be a case-by-case basis on both sides. What would prevent games with an unlocked frame rate engine on ps4 from going120 fps without any patch in boost mode?
Nothing, but truly unlocked multiplat games are extremely rare. Most games that let you 'unlock' the framerate are really replacing a 30 fps cap with a 60 fps one.

The only one I know of is Rainbow Six, but that's getting next gen enhancements anyway.

A game with no frame cap would start tearing when it went above 60 fps. Almost nothing works that way.

Developers have two options on both PS5 and Series X. Firstly you can, patch the old version of the game to allow it to target higher framerates as games like Hitman 2 allow, or to add modes that target 4K native, or similar, but still be limited to GCN features and not leverage the new storage sdk. Secondly they can make a dedicated SKU for next gen that fully leverages the new hardware. Nothing prevents devs doing this on either next gen system.

On Series S/X there are two further possibilities. The dev can update the game to use Smart Delivery and have the one SKU fully leverage RDNA2 and the full storage improvements.

Or, the back compact team can work their magic optimizing games on a title by title basis, increasing resolution and framerate without touching the original code.

You can reduce that to say 'either way someone needs to improve the game, so what's the difference?' but it ignores that there are benefits to what Microsoft are doing and that it will lead to games getting updated in some form that otherwise wouldn't be. For example, MS have updated games that have been delisted, and games from developers that aren't around anymore, or that aren't in any position to work on the old code.

Yes all the above require work. Yes MS won't be doubling the framerate of many games. But only a few developers are going to patch games more than a year old even if they remain in a position to do so.

I don't expect old games to get updates so I'm not frowning on Sony's approach here. I'm really happy all my Playstation games are coming along with me. I'm happy my PSVR is going to work etc. What MS do is essentially add frosting to a limited set of games that wouldn't otherwise get it. I really appreciate that extra, but it's still something I see as a neat bonus.

And I know people pointed to PSVR to invalidate Grubbs point about the PS4 not being able to output at 120hz, but what he said is true for TVs even if he overlooked PSVR. I can hook my One X up to my TV and output at 1440p and 120hz. I can't do that with my PS4 Pro. It doesn't support it.

Oct 25, 2017
He's a member of this community and calling him a fanboy could be classified as antagonizing a fellow member of the community.
Is it antagonizing someone when they post things that aren't true and someone corrects them? 🤔

They certainly might feel antagonized, but that shouldn't be the sole deciding factor, should it?

(these are rhetorical questions, i know you're just quoting policy)

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
There are probably high odds that you are right on this. If it's a $10 one off purchase for the UHD player I can't see it being a major issue, it will be a bit of a PR disaster for them if it isn't available for launch.

Most of the licensing fees are super trivial, like $1-2 per unit. It may very well be due to the fact that the DE has no need for this (outside of streaming services), so they chose to include none of those certifications on the boxes of either model.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Quick question, Dolby Vision HDR for Games is significantly better than HDR10?

I have an OLED with both HDR options for movies and stuff. But I'd argue that a gamer should not feel bad about not having Dolby for games. HDR10 or standard game HDR is amazing.

Unless this is about audio and I misunderstood. Apologies.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
im a member of the press, i represent the entirety of reset era

sony, send me a ps5 please

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
No? Just countering your argument of people missing out on D2 for a month or GTA V for a year if there wasn't BC. Obviously having BC is nice for all games that will never be upgraded.
If I were to guess, I'd say 90-95 percent of PS4 games won't get a PS5 patch. That's why BC is huge to many people. The first year of PS4 wouldn't have been such a bore to me if it had BC.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The system supports UHD disks. Sony literally are apart of the blu-ray consortium. LOL I truly do not understand how you all come up with these things because it doesn't exhaustively say it.
blog.playstation.com

PlayStation 5 launches in November, starting at $399 for PS5 Digital Edition and $499 for PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Drive

New games announced at PS5 Showcase, including Final Fantasy XVI, Hogwarts Legacy, and a new God of War title
they literally tout having ultra blu ray.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm genuinely curious what Sony's solution is for those of us that have Atmos surround sound setups. During The Road to PS5 talk Cerny said that Tempest audio for multi-speaker setups would come some time after launch for games. I didn't think that would mean there would be no 3D audio support at all for movies. UHD bluray movies are encoded in either Atmos or DTS X. I don't know how they can just not support those formats. My guess is they didn't want to pay the license and figured it wouldn't matter anyway because they'll still sell everyone they make regardless.

Sony are one of the main companies behind blu-ray (Blu-ray Association) so I'm pretty sure they will add Atmos support if it's not already there. Sony make 4k blu-ray players with Atoms and Dolby Vision support, so no reason why PS5 won't support them.

Also Sony have been releasing some of the best 4k UHD discs on the market too, so it would be a weird oversight to not have PS5 support Atoms and DV.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Sony are one of the main companies behind blu-ray (Blu-ray Association) so I'm pretty sure they will add Atmos support if it's not already there. Sony make 4k blu-ray players with Atoms and Dolby Vision support, so no reason why PS5 won't support them.

Also Sony have been releasing some of the best 4k UHD discs on the market too, so it would be a weird oversight to not have PS5 support Atoms and DV.
I'm starting to feel like people are being willfully obtuse about this stuff.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017

I have an OLED with both HDR options for movies and stuff. But I'd argue that a gamer should not feel bad about not having Dolby for games. HDR10 or standard game HDR is amazing.

Do games even have Dolby vision? Thought that was a movies and shows thing only.

With a Dolby able tv the Normal HDR notifyer pops on.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The system supports UHD disks. Sony literally are apart of the blu-ray consortium. LOL I truly do not understand how you all come up with these things because it doesn't exhaustively say it.
blog.playstation.com

PlayStation 5 launches in November, starting at $399 for PS5 Digital Edition and $499 for PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Drive

New games announced at PS5 Showcase, including Final Fantasy XVI, Hogwarts Legacy, and a new God of War title
200.gif

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
blog.playstation.com

It was interesting that PS4PRO was missing the 4k drive, but that was a time I think where Sony wanted to also sell a lot of blu ray drives for 4k as separate players. It was definitely weird, even if they would have lost some money from lack of player sales after had PRO had UHD.

All this being said, this time is a definite given and they cannot be left behind. It makes sense.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Yes. But you need a way better panel to take full advantage. It supports 60x the colors. Than HDR. And content is somwhat limited with dolby vision.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe some people in this thread are trying to "fake news" some members of the press because they don't say 100% positive things about their favorite box.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Is it antagonizing someone when they post things that aren't true and someone corrects them? 🤔

They certainly might feel antagonized, but that shouldn't be the sole deciding factor, should it?

(these are rhetorical questions, i know you're just quoting policy)

I don't envy the moderation team when it comes to making these decisions that's for sure. They probably draw the line at name calling though. The thing is, I haven't seen any of the bans in question or the reasonings for them. If someone straight up called Grubb a fanboy or alleged that he's just mad he didn't get a PS5 that's different then someone counter arguing the points that he made.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
blog.playstation.com

And Sony is rereleasing UHDs next month to coincide with the PS5 launch

Sony clearly loves the grasp it has on the Spider-Man IP, and so alongside the upcoming Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, it will also begin advertising the recent films based on the character as "PS5 4K Movie Essentials". On the same day that the PlayStation 5 is scheduled to launch in the UK, a physical 4K Blu-ray collection containing Spider-Man: Homecoming, Spider-Man: Far from Home, and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse will release for £50. That's cheaper than picking up each film on Blu-ray separately.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
blog.playstation.com

I'm talking about the movie format, not the drive or the ability to use ultra hd discs. It's very curious that they don't use the Ultra HD BR logo anywhere nor does it mention the ability to be used as a player. I'm not saying it won't be able to play those movies, nor that it won't be available day 1 either. I'm saying it won't be able to play them out of the box without getting a software update to pay for that license. Nowhere did I say it didn't support UHD discs. You're quick to jump on what I said without reading what I said.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yes. But you need a way better panel to take full advantage. It supports 60x the colors. Than HDR. And content is somwhat limited with dolby vision.
For sure, right now I am using a 4k OLED LG with it just for films. But the standard HDR on games like horizon, god of war and spiderman and FFXV looks breathtaking. So either way it should be good. I am lacking 120fps though but i don't care for now.

I guess I will see it advertised as things happen/come out more.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
To add on to Sony releasing more UHD media. I've noticed a lot of retailers start to list movies in 4k that were sold out for a few years. Whether it be marvel (including xmen physical releases now), or other ones. I keep track of ones I missed the initial releases of and they were sold out officially forever until recently.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It was interesting that PS4PRO was missing the 4k drive, but that was a time I think where Sony wanted to also sell a lot of blu ray drives for 4k as separate players. It was definitely weird, even if they would have lost some money from lack of player sales after had PRO had UHD.

All this being said, this time is a definite given and they cannot be left behind. It makes sense.
Honestly it prob was timing of they system and cost of the drive when the pro launched. UHD came out in 2016 Same time as the pro. While scorpio launched a year later and 100 bucks more in Price.
sony was extremely cost conscious with the PS4 so it make sense they did not want to exceed 399.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
I understand the sentiment in banning people for posting something that could be seen as antagonizing but i have witnessed threads wherein members of this community throw out vitriolic comments at game game journalists, developers and people in the industry at large, like calling someone trash, garbage and much worse. As much as we fail to sometimes realize it, developers read these forums. If you are going to hold people accountable for antagonizing fellow members, we should also be held accountable for the outright deplorable things we also say to and about others. There are faces behind the games we play. Being a civilized individual should not be reserved to only members of this community.

Calling someone a fanboy while can be seen as rude it is not really something to ban someone over We literally have threads dedicated to fans of specific platforms and games.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm talking about the movie format, not the drive or the ability to use ultra hd discs. It's very curious that they don't use the Ultra HD BR logo anywhere nor does it mention the ability to be used as a player. I'm not saying it won't be able to play those movies, nor that it won't be available day 1 either. I'm saying it won't be able to play them out of the box without getting a software update to pay for that license. Nowhere did I say it didn't support UHD discs. You're quick to jump on what I said without reading what I said.
They are literally launching movies coinciding with the system dude. Like this stuff is tiring with the conspiracy on the system when the information is there.
www.pushsquare.com

Sony Begins Advertising Spider-Man Films as PS5 Essentials

Homecoming, Far from Home, and Into the Spider-Verse

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if Sony provided any of these people with the PSVR adapter in their kits?

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

51cFXpe7r5L._AC_.jpg

Spider-Man: Far From Home / Homecoming / Into The Spider-Verse (6 Discs - 4k Ultra-HD & BD) [Blu-ray] [2020]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray

Shop Spider-Man: Far From Home / Homecoming / Into The Spider-Verse (6 Discs - 4k Ultra-HD & BD) [Blu-ray] [2020]. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.