• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some of you guys get triggered way too easily..

The Grubb hate has always been hilarious to me. Not sure how anyone here made it out of the PS360 generation with how blatantly biased journalists are, now people have to stretch and bend to find reasons.
Wind your neck in m8,

I dont give a hapenny-jizz what Grubb thinks about anything.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, the PS5 is really ugly. It's been a topic of discussion ever since it was revealed, and when consoles, phones, cars, dishwashers, stoves, whatever are designed, this is something that is taken into consideration. Somebody at Sony really liked the PS5's design, though ... and now we're stuck with it unless the Pro version fixes that.

I agree it's very ugly, but I'm still going to get one anyway. I was going to wait until a slim/pro version, but I couldn't wait that long. I'm hoping they remodel the PS5 eventually. I would gladly trade in for a better looking machine.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I agree it's very ugly, but I'm still going to get one anyway. I was going to wait until a slim/pro version, but I couldn't wait that long. I'm hoping they remodel the PS5 eventually. I would gladly trade in for a better looking machine.
I'm just going to hide mine behind the TV. Ugly no more. Hopefully quiet as well.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
You know the console wars are real when you see people putting others on ignore for not liking the looks of hardware. Hate to break it to him, but a lot of people think the PS5 looks terrible. And many hate the XSX and XSS.
The only good looking console this gen is the Series S and even that would be better off as a black option.

The Series X looks like an audio receiver and the PS5 looks like a spaceship. I don't know why console manufacturers think the majority of people view a console as a centerpiece of the living room. The average age of video gamers now is surprisingly in the 30's, they don't make these purchasing decisions any easier when partners aren't gamers and the designs are obnoxious.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I'm just going to hide mine behind the TV. Ugly no more. Hopefully quiet as well.
That's my plan as well when I eventually scoop one. I'm extremely confident that the PS5 won't have heating / noise after Sony caught some flak for that with the PS4. The PS5 has such a unique and tall design that I'm guessing heat & noise was something they didn't want to be an issue at all. I'm sure we'll get a better idea once Digital Foundry gets to run it through a battery of tests.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Console wars, long history and numerous prior bans for the same.
ElBN8ZpWAAE5eHo
Wow no Atmos or DTS X. Kind of compromised as a UHD Bluray player.
Ek2aSkzUYAAO8Ns

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
He obviously has a pretty heavy bias towards MS/Xbox, with him featuring it in a lot of his videos. Also he called his friend for some reason during his DualSense video, to say the PS5 was "ugly".

But the actual reason is because he's loud and obnoxious.
His friend was logic, lol. Logic plays every system, but I think he is more of a Nintendo fan. He is not invested in the console war thing. He probably just thinks the PS5 design is ugly, but he is getting it for sho. Also, he is in TLOU2 if I remember correctly. I don't know to what extend because I haven't played the game yet.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not at launch it isnt. Also hugely popular games like GTA5 wont get an update for about a year. Backwards compat is huge.
You realize if there wasn't BC devs would just update the games sooner right? Also I'm not 100% convinced that D2 isn't getting a small update on next-gen release to make it a native game with the graphical upgrades coming later (Like Cyberpunk 2077), their release certainly didn't state it would keep running in BC mode until December.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Unless, of course, those codecs can be downloaded later. The PS4 won't play DVDs or blu-rays unless you activate it first, presumably to prevent having to pay license fees for every single unit they ship. It might just be the PS5 ships with the minimum support needed for streaming services.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Antagonising other members, history of infractions for console wars
Lol. He is one biased mofo. I used to like him.
Tom Console Warren?

No way. I won't hear it.

Gaming """"Journalism"""" is fucking tragic and bereft of any legitimacy - this goes for all the Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo PR guys working undercover at these outlets.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Tom Console Warren?

No way. I won't hear it.

Gaming """"Journalism"""" is fucking tragic and bereft of any legitimacy - this goes for all the Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo PR guys working undercover at these outlets.
"Gaming Journalism" is a joke of cosmic proportions, we need that only trust yourself meme.
:)

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
How about we stop complaining about who and who shouldn't get a PS5?

I was never aware that the USB hubs were not compatible with the PS4, I am certain they worked on the PS3 unless I am getting that wrong too.

Hubs most certainly are compatible with PS4. Just not for a hard drive. That has to be direct connected.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
You realize if there wasn't BC devs would just update the games sooner right? Also I'm not 100% convinced that D2 isn't getting a small update on next-gen release to make it a native game with the graphical upgrades coming later (Like Cyberpunk 2077), their release certainly didn't state it would keep running in BC mode until December.
You're arguing in favor of no BC? That's ridiculous.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Tom Console Warren?

No way. I won't hear it.

Yep, it's pretty shitty and unprofessional. He also loves to light up fuels and do console warring. Look, I have no issues on people having their favorite, but why set up so many console war fires? I mean 🙄

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Wow no Atmos or DTS X. Kind of compromised as a UHD Bluray player.
Ek2aSkzUYAAO8Ns
I remember reading somewhere it was launching without it due to their tempest audio tech, they use that in games instead of dolby / dts like the xbox does.

It's a pretty big oversight, neither console supports Dolby Vision at launch either, it's apparently coming later for Xbox, not sure if Sony has committed to it. That's obviously less of an issue if HDR 10 (plus) is supported, most TV's support multiple specifications for the same result.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading somewhere it was launching without it due to their tempest audio tech, they use that in games instead of dolby / dts like the xbox does.

It's a pretty big oversight, neither console supports Dolby Vision at launch either, it's apparently coming later for Xbox, not sure if Sony has committed to it. That's obviously less of an issue if HDR 10 (plus) is supported, most TV's support multiple specifications for the same result.
Is Dolby Vision something that can be brought to the PS5 via software updates?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Is Dolby Vision something that can be brought to the PS5 via software updates?
Yes, that is what Microsoft has committed to. It's just a matter of whether Sony wants to pay the licensing fee which is charged per unit, which is the same with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X. They will likely be able to support it, I can't see any hardware reason why they wouldn't. It's just a matter of whether Sony are doing Sony things.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
He obviously has a pretty heavy bias towards MS/Xbox, with him featuring it in a lot of his videos. Also he called his friend for some reason during his DualSense video, to say the PS5 was "ugly".

But the actual reason is because he's loud and obnoxious.

His friend? You mean Logic?

His friend was logic, lol. Logic plays every system, but I think he is more of a Nintendo fan. He is not invested in the console war thing. He probably just thinks the PS5 design is ugly, but he is getting it for sho. Also, he is in TLOU2 if I remember correctly. I don't know to what extend because I haven't played the game yet.

wait... what? How did I not notice this? When do you see him?

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Not at launch it isnt. Also hugely popular games like GTA5 wont get an update for about a year. Backwards compat is huge.
Not to mention that you can still play games from the original Xbox. Like, just throw them in the thing and they work. It's insane.

Buying a new console on the Xbox side of things is like buying a new GPU for your PC. You might try a new game, usually it's a new game that prompts the 'ok it's time' decision, but you also fire up older games to see how they run now. You max out that game you hobbled through six months ago and are amazed how much better it looks.

BC isn't the be-all, end-all - on new consoles you want new games, but anyone saying it's not important is just wrong.

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
People tend to not understand what is behind the design of a product. Some think PS5 is a beauty, others say it just plain ugly. And that's exactly what Sony wants. People talking about PS5 all the time. Aside from that, no matter how you feel about the PS5 design, if you put it side-by-side with the XSX, PS5 will catch a lot more eyes than the next-gen from Microsoft. XSX will be just another black box in a sea of black boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.