• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
the return of the king

tumblr_pakbt87qie1whfmaxo1_540.gifv

Oct 30, 2017

He is just saying that the xbox series x will run some back compat games in higher fps without the interference of devs is bigger than just BC.But what i see is that he is just being very down on the ps5, even though when df confirmed from microsoft that series x runs bc in gcn compat mode

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Arthur Gies got one? I'm a little surprised at that. Maybe it's for consulting purposes.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Nice, finally, hope DF will have one soon enough for a complete analysis and some platform comparaison.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017

He responded to me on twitter, but I honestly don't understand what he means by "you don't need to optimize it"

Like they both need game updates to do 120fps, so whats the actual advantage the series x has here?

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
3:44

First time watching Austin Evans?
Yes... I wasn't into the presentation style. Reminds me of retail workers being falsely enthusiastic about products they're trying to sell to earn that commission bonus.

It's OK for him to have his opinion without you thinking of some conspiracy theory and taking it personally
I see no conspiracy talk, take that shit elsewhere, this is observational. And that section was entirely pointless in context to the vid.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

He responded to me on twitter, but I honestly don't understand what he means by "you don't need to optimize it"

Like they both need game updates to do 120fps, so whats the actual advantage the series x has here?

Yeah no game is going to run out the box 120 without some kind of update.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras

He doesn't even know what he's talking about. If a game wasn't designed for a higher framerate it could potentially be updated to eliminate the fps cap but other aspects like physics or animation would still need some tweaking in many cases. So it's the same on either platform.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil

I guess he's saying live service games can get 120fps right away via BC on XSX but... I can't really name a live service game that has uncapped framerates, and if the game does have uncapped frames the PS5 boost mode will do the same as Xbox BC.

The only exception are games that MS themselves decided to update, which is kinda pointless because someone had to work on the patch and he loses his point.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

120fps and 120hz are different things. I think he's saying the PS5 may not be outputting at 120hz right now.

Jun 7, 2020

He implies that because Series X and Xbox One share the DirectX graphics API that that somehow makes it easy for Series X to double or quadruple frame-rates with no developer input.

But Direct X has absolutely fuck all to do with dictating a locked frame rate. That's outside of its scope. Your rendering loop logic dictates that, and that isn't Direct X. It's part of the game engine itself, not the API a game engine uses to control a GPU.

He also says PS4 is incapable of outputting more than 60Hz but PS VR can do 90Hz native from a PS4 HDMI port. The 120Hz mode is 60Hz reprojected.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

He doesn't even know what he's talking about. If a game wasn't designed for a higher framerate it could potentially be updated to eliminate the fps cap but other aspects like physics or animation would still need some tweaking in many cases. So it's the same on either platform.
Not exactly true.

Microsoft's BC team can (on a case by case basis) double the framerate of a game, without the developer updating the game at all. I don't expect *many* titles will see this, but doubling from 60 to 120 was specifically blogged about by MS.

This is completely unrelated to developers going into their existing games and patching them to support 120 fps. Sony are fully reliant on devs doing this, MS aren't so it's an advantage, even if it's one I don't expect more than a handful of games seeing their framerate doubled in this manner.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Not exactly true.

Microsoft's BC team can (on a case by case basis) double the framerate of a game, without the developer updating the game at all. I don't expect *many* titles will see this, but doubling from 60 to 120 was specifically blogged about by MS.

This is completely unrelated to developers going into their existing games and patching them to support 120 fps.
We have only seen a tech demo about this. But what he is talking about is completely unrelated. Doubling the framerate isn't a magic switch, it still needs human input from either the platform holder or the devs.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Not exactly true.

This is completely unrelated to developers going into their existing games and patching them to support 120 fps. Sony are fully reliant on devs doing this, MS aren't so it's an advantage, even if it's one I don't expect will more than a handful of games seeing their framerate doubled in this manner.
Well, but there must be some kind of 'patch' somewhere, the game, or the 'emulator' MS BC team is using with those games. There's the advantage that the developer in those specific cases, does not need to do the work, though.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Why are we talking about Xbox BC 120 fps in PS5 being sent to press thread lol

Hard to see but Greg shows the bottom of the box at 5:12 and it looks the middle logo is Dolby, so...possible Vision confirmation (if not atmos)?

Some journalist posted photo of the bottom side some pages ago, it's Dolby Audio I think.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
oh good catch. Didn't see the tweet earlier. Would be totally fine with it too :D man..if not for covid we would have had a full on group stream with this thing in the studio

Confirmed, he tweeted again saying he got it.

I guess it could be because Jones just moved so maybe it was tricky to send the console? Or maybe he'll get it as well, could be any reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.