• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Screenshot_20201106-175609_YouTube.jpg

DMCVSE already setting the standard for Activity Cards also! A Continue or save file cards are all I would need. Everything else would be a bonus for me
Yes please. this is what i want to see from all games. We've been speculating about this.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wait until you see a Spider-Man example. There are side-quests in the game and they surface as Activities. With the game closed, you can go from the main menu to the beginning of the side-quest in approximately 10 seconds. If you've already got the game loaded, you can jump to the beginning of the side-quest in about 2.5 seconds.

Nuts!

This is gonna save so much time when going for the plat.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Screenshot_20201106-175609_YouTube.jpg

DMCVSE already setting the standard for Activity Cards also! A Continue or save file cards are all I would need. Everything else would be a bonus for me

The problem with the way this one works is Capcom has added in some extra screens that are your typical kinda "Save Game Loaded" and "Checking for Add-On Content" things. It's still really fast, but those tiny pauses for those unnecessary dialogues slows it down a lot.

It's still early days, though, and I'm sure developers will gradually get better at doing this. The Sony examples so far are excellent!

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The way these SSD's were hyped I assumed it would literally be less than 1 second from clicking the button but that's still impressive.

Maybe we'll get there next gen.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
That's impressive. I know most games these days aren't really split by levels the way Astro Bot is, but even if games just had this for say most recent save and multiplayer that'd be a huge improvement.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Yeah, at its best, QR and Cards overlap a lot in the features it serve, but they still have very distinct advantages over each other.

Especially with Japanese games that historically don't do a good job when it comes to auto-save.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I love this feature, yeah it doesn't have all the advantages of QR but it also has advantages QR doesn't have and for me personally the cards are more useful since I don't switch between multiple games.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
Wait until you see a Spider-Man example. There are side-quests in the game and they surface as Activities. With the game closed, you can go from the main menu to the beginning of the side-quest in approximately 10 seconds. If you've already got the game loaded, you can jump to the beginning of the side-quest in about 2.5 seconds.

Nuts!
So you're basically saying PS5 adds fast travel to games.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
it does. i haven't seen it in action either, but there's an Insomniac employee on Twitter who said he created the Activities cards for Miles Morales and really loves the feature
I want to see this in action, sounds pretty good.
Yeah, a poster who has a PS5 said you can jump to side missions through activity cards in like 2 seconds if the game is already running.
So it bypasses the splash screen, that's good to know.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If they allow people to create their own "save card" to hop into that's gonna be huge.

Yup! Especially if they allow us to save state and pin it as an activity card, that would be the perfect ideal.

If storage is an issue, maybe Sony can just add an opt-in/out checkbox to reserve additional space for save states?

Last edited:

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man I can't wait for the 19th to get my hands on my PS5..... I'm so done with PS4/XBONE.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
The way these SSD's were hyped I assumed it would literally be less than 1 second from clicking the button but that's still impressive.

Maybe we'll get there next gen.

Well don't forget, this is literally a launch title even though it feels like we've been talking about the new consoles forever. As the gen progresses, we're going to be seeing some crazy things especially with the PS5's oodles compression.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Was the game shut down or was it running? Cuz that fells alot like quick resume with some diferences.

not that it fully negates it, also these companies do not have to do the same thing and differences can be good, but this almost seems like Sony's way of handling it. Like it's not the same but also has its positives over the other way, which again has its own advantages!
All I know is for the first time in forever next gen is going to be fucking amazing across all 3 consoles and that excites me so freaking much!