• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
So, I know people are saying about "save games" but do we know if it's possible to create, effectively, save states using Activity Cards?

Could a game let you "create" a card of where you currently are which loads from the menu?

Probably way to early to establish if they are as dynamic as that from the user end.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem like it would work well with the structure of most games. Maybe Single-Player / Multi-Player, but what else?

How does Spider-Man Miles Morales integrate it?

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
Quick Resume saves the state you're currently in and lets you return to it within 7 seconds. On PS5 we're stuck with whatever location the games' save puts us in. What if I'm having a great run in Tetris Effect on PS5 but need to jump into a Destiny Raid? I can't save that run and come back to it later. On XSX I can. It's more than just the speed. It's the fact that it saves exactly the state of your game when you leave it. That's huge.

In my experience pausing Tetris at an advanced stage to go and do something else always results in a quick loss when you leap back in because you're no longer in the zone.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
What you described of the Activity Cards here is exactly what is being described in this thread. Devs can tailor it to specific things in the game and it's also contextual so you have more flexibility, whereas Quick Resume is a specific thing. I don't understand your point.

Your post was basically can we stop downplaying activities when it does similar to quick resume and we will get quick resume anyway surely you see an issue with that ? By that stance what stops Ms doing activities or similar on their UI if it takes off ?

Why can't both just be good ? And appreciated for what they offer.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
In my experience pausing Tetris at an advanced stage to go and do something else always results in a quick loss when you leap back in because you're no longer in the zone.
I'm referring to Tetris Effect, which is pretty chill, but to play through one round of Journey mode can take over an hour, and there's no way to save your spot if you need to do something else.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My holy fucking shit you guys just have to make everything about PS5 vs Series X.

For the record, Matt already said here Quick Resume is being worked for PS5 too, so stop with all the "yay or nay" Quick Resume war bullshit.
It's kinda sad how every thread about one of these has to become about the other as well. As if every post in a console's thread needs to be about why you're buying it over the other or not or why it'll be your main over the other or not.

Like it's fine to say "this PS5/Xbox feature is good" without trying to side eye the other side as you do it lol.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Honest question for other gamers out there... do you really encounter situations like this often? I'm genuinely curious. You're in the middle of some single player story game and you'd be willing to stop, mid cutscene, to go join in an online match? I'm really honestly not trying to bash, despite the impression some posters seem to have gotten. But I can never think of a situation where I'd want to leave a single player game deep in the middle of a cutscene to play with a friend for a short period.
Quite often, and in plenty of cases I've had to deny the invite because of the hassle that starting the SP game back up would be, with this it'd be a no-brainer for me, honestly. It's not a dealbreaker (I just pre-ordered the console today and it costs about $850 in my country), but I do hope they add it down the line. The PS4 received great OS support after all.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
That's fantastic.

If it leads to near instant save loading then activity cards are one thing I hope Microsoft rips off takes inspiration from so both platforms can benefit from it.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Jesus, this is huge.

For a game with levels like Astro Bot - it makes sense.

But what about narratively driven games like TLoU? Where could cards even take you?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This + dualsense are the most exciting things on next gen for me.

Xextil

May 19, 2020
On Next Gen Base review shows the same with Spider-Man MM, it takes roughly 7-8 seconds

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I think my favorite thing about the next gens is how they've both kinda had the same ideas for a lot of stuff and then went about them it in completely different ways. The cards will be great for quick MP games if set up well.
It'll be amazing for fighting games too. Boot up into training mode immediately if you see a combo online you want to practice, or jump into a lobby or the offline VS screen.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
Triple negatives are difficult to parse. I'm getting both consoles but if the PS5 can routinely be this fast (and it seems like it can from Miles), I'd rather save drive space and not have quick resume tbh.
Yeah for all the complaining about the storage space, people seem to really want more of it used up. I would rather keep the space tbh, these load times are fast as hell and I'm going to be playing 3 or 4 games at the same time.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, this is huge.

For a game with levels like Astro Bot - it makes sense.

But what about narratively driven games like TLoU? Where could cards even take you?
Most recent checkpoint. Otherwise Chapters or select Encounters as someone suggests above.
It'll be amazing for fighting games too. Boot up into training mode immediately if you see a combo online you want to practice, or jump into a lobby or the offline VS screen.
Oh yeah that'd be cool.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It doesn't seem like it would work well with the structure of most games. Maybe Single-Player / Multi-Player, but what else?

Spider man seems to be using it to jump straight to diferent kind of missions. For example if, you pick a mission from the card, after the load you will spawn in front of the NPC that will give you the mission.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The French video posted shows there's multiple cards to different missions in the game, add that to the addition of estimated play time to complete on the cards, and you can see Activity cards are very different to quick resume and shouldn't be compared.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me what I'm looking at here? Are these save states? Just regular game saves? Something else? Is this system level or on a per-game basis?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Can someone explain to me what I'm looking at here? Are these save states? Just regular game saves? Something else? Is this system level or on a per-game basis?

I would think of them more like chapters in a book that you can jump to through a table of contents. In the case of MP games, that means you could jump directly to a certain MP mode instead of having to load up the game, etc.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I would think of them more like chapters in a book that you can jump to through a table of contents. In the case of MP games, that means you could jump directly to a certain MP mode instead of having to load up the game, etc.

Do we know what it'd be like for an open world game like Skyrim or Witcher 3 though? Maybe the activity card would be able to load most recent saves instantly or something?

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Screenshot_20201106-175609_YouTube.jpg

DMCVSE already setting the standard for Activity Cards also! A Continue or save file cards are all I would need. Everything else would be a bonus for me

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
There are different use cases. There are pros and cons for both. I want both systems to be on both consoles.

For quick resume, it's nice if I was playing a game like say, Persona 5, that doesn't have auto saves, and suddenly someone else wanted to play another game. Rather than asking them to wait til I get to the next save room, just save that state and let them play their game, then quick resume later.

For the activites card, it's nice because you can pick multiple jumping in points. Being able to launch the game directly into multiplayer, or directly into different chapters of a game, is super nice.

There are good sides for both and I want both on everything. This is not a my system is better than yours thing.

Think that begs the question of whether Persona 6 will have autosave.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
My holy fucking shit you guys just have to make everything about PS5 vs Series X.

For the record, Matt already said here Quick Resume is being worked for PS5 too, so stop with all the "yay or nay" Quick Resume war bullshit.
Link to the comment please?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
For a dad of two small children who has very limited time to play games, getting in a game quickly is a huge plus for next gen consoles. The less waiting I have to do through loading screens, the more time I have to play.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wait until you see a Spider-Man example. There are side-quests in the game and they surface as Activities. With the game closed, you can go from the main menu to the beginning of the side-quest in approximately 10 seconds. If you've already got the game loaded, you can jump to the beginning of the side-quest in about 2.5 seconds.

Nuts!