• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The time has come.

• PS5

Votes: 2,604 67.3%
  • PS5 Digital Edition

Votes: 1,265 32.7%

• Total voters

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
Have a lot of PS4 games on disk that I would still like to play on my PS5. Options are good though generally.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Expecting to use my PS4 discs for BC so getting the non digital only one.
Having both options is good.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
£40 physical games day 1
Or
£60 digital games day 1

Hmm.

£20-25 physical games after 2-3 months
Or
£60 digital still 90% of the time, with a sale down to £40.

Hmm.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I'm pretty much all digital these days, but I don't see a reason to limit my options so I'd still go for the disc drive option. Even if there's a price difference, I just got a physical copy of Days Gone for £15. I'd be gutted if I couldn't take advantage of a great deal like that just because I don't have the disc drive. Just not worth it for me.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Why would I stand up and shove a piece of plastic into a console like a caveman? Imagine having to switch discs every time you want to play something else...

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Going digital, since i have good internet.
I also dont really have space to put cases of lots of games either, first gonna have to find space to put the console, since its larger than what my current setup can handle.

Why not own my games?
gotta go to pc to actually somewhat own your games.
Even your ps disk is just a licence that does not guarantee the game works when you put it in the console.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Expecting to use my PS4 discs for BC so getting the non digital only one.
Having both options is good.
Have a lot of PS4 games on disk that I would still like to play on my PS5. Options are good though generally.
It just sounds like you locked yourself into having to buy more expensive PS5 version because you were reluctant to go fully digital sooner. 100% of my PS4 library is digital so I'll just log into my PSN on PS5 DE and will be good to go.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
I haven't bought a game since 5 years (I only have 3) so the choice is pretty clear:
- Nicer console
- Cheaper

only, if it was BC with PS3/PS2/PSX I'd choose the disc version

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Going with the disc drive. I prefer physical games, and it will also have the option for any downloadable games as well of course. But i dont mind Sony offering two different consoles like this, it just gives an option for people to choose :)

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
Digital, 100%. I started off this gen with discs, but abandoned them and went all-digital around 2016 or 17. Not looking back.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
It just sounds like you locked yourself into having to buy more expensive PS5 version because you were reluctant to go fully digital sooner. 100% of my PS4 library is digital so I'll just log into my PSN on PS5 DE and will be good to go.

Nah, I enjoy having some physical games on my shelf. I only buy digital for sales or multiplayer games. Physical is cheaper by around 10 dollars on launch titles as well where I am so its not so bad.

I am all digital on Switch though cause it makes more sense than bringing all cartridges.

I am glad you can enjoy the digital edition though.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I prefer the digital version's look but I need that disc drive for movies and trying games I don't think I'll like.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I stand up and shove a piece of plastic into a console like a caveman? Imagine having to switch discs every time you want to play something else...
How often do some people switch between different games? Every 10 minutes or what? Also inserting a disc takes about 10 seconds tops, even less for the disc drive to verify the disc.

With some of these answers I don't know if people are really that lazy or if I'm missing the sarcasm...

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I might go for the digital if retailers sell PS5 cd keys, like with the Xbox One.

Remote Play 2.0, whatever form that takes, is the main reason. I've come to appreciate the idea of accessing a console from any computer on the network, and swapping discs hampers that.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait until I see how the discless performs noise and heat wise first. If it's cheaper and those two things are under control I'll go digital.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the prices.

If Digital is a fair bit cheaper, I will go for it. Haven't bought a disk in a long time now, and have 0 DVDs/Blu-Rays.

If it is the same price (not going to happen), then don't see the point in not having a feature, even one I will rarely use.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Disc for me, I like to keep my options open, Including the option to play the PS4 games I have on Disc.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
If I cn gift my digital games, then there's no reason anymore for physical. If the games are still locked forever on your account, then physical.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
Disc. I still want to use my PS4 games and use it as a 4K BR player. Plus I might not like a game and can sell/swap with someone else, etc. Plus physical copies come down in price at a quicker rate, limited editions with physical goodies...

Going all digital is too restrictive, for me.

Mazz

Nov 11, 2017
Digital, no need for a bunch of plastic crap that I have to store and move with me when changing places. I can see the benefit of physical only if you plan to resell your stuff., but I never do.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Much as I think the digital design is better, Physical will be my path. I don't want to lose out on disks. Plain and simple.

Oct 30, 2017
*Looks over at my physical PS4 and Blu-ray movie collection*

Yeah....I'm going to need that disk drive, I don't want to be restricted to only digital, I want both options.

west

Oct 28, 2017
Digital game prices are ridiculous and have less value. No, I'm not about to give price monopoly to the PSN store. And I love bargain hunting on trips to Japan and whatnot.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I'd use it for games but If I do buy a PS5 I'd probably get the one with the disk drive to keep a blu ray player under the TV

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I have physical PS4 games. I don't really have a choice. Also I like physical games.

I can see the appeal. I mean my PC doesn't even have an optical drive so it is digital only, but I also don't have physical PC games that aren't from 2004.

Price difference would need to be gigantic for me to take the digital over the physical. More than 100€ for sure

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
There are decisions around this:

• Is there a benefit to having a drive in terms of PS4 games?
  • What sort of impact is there going to be on the SDD in game size and is upgradability easy?
  • Is there a price saving?
  • Will I ever need to share my games?

I feel like those top three are going to be the big ones. I'm undecided tbh and need more information on how the BC is going to work.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
This decision is impossible until prices are known. It's obvious the prices of the two will be different, but by how much? Due to sales on Disc games (and clearance pricing) happening more often than digital, paying a little more for a Disc drive might be worth it. Also, the return policy on discs is much, much better than Digital. My one great hope is that Sony has to make their return policy better if they plan on having an all-digital console (although at this point I don't expect it at all.)

I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
If they price it significantly lower, I may think about going digital.

The 825 GBs is what is making me not do it.

le-seb

Oct 31, 2017
Digital Edition for me, please.

The only PS4 game I own in CD form is the one (KZ:SF) that came bundled with the console. And I've not even played it, as FPS aren't my stuff.

I'm currently using my PS4 as a BR player, but I don't own many BR discs anyway.
So when I'll get rid of my PS4, I may invest in a standalone player if I ever fancy watching them again.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Disk. Sony always sells at a premium in the PlayStation store and I'd rather go with the more cost-effective option.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I have no discs in the house now, that seems unlikely to change next year. So digital I guess...