• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
Probably has nothing to do with the SSD's of either console. Sounds like the BC games are better optimized on Series X than PS5 from a software standpoint. MS definitely spent more time here than Sony if anything.
Yeah has absolutely nothing to do with ssds or their compression techniques. In fact if they used the same hard drives as before we would get exactly the same results.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Hope the mods are ready for the shit show that will follow.
I don't envy them but..
giphy.webp

Dec 8, 2018
🤦‍♀️ PS5 is running in BC mode with everything clocked down to simulate a PS4.... These results means nothing when it comes to next gen or optimized BC games.

Oct 30, 2017
Anything regarding BC on ps5 continues to be a disappointment
Except it's actually been the opposite.
BC enhancements have actually greatly exceeded general board expectations here.

🤦‍♀️ PS5 is running in BC mode with everything clocked down to simulate a PS4.... These results means nothing when it comes to next gen or optimized BC games.
But games run with way higher performance in terms of FPS and dynamic res. So that's not entirely true. Sounds like boost mode may be the standard.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Pretty surprising that Xbox has the lead here, specially if you think about that Xbox basically has the troll move of "Well, you think this is fast? Now where the game is loaded once, next time you come back after playing 5 other games, it's 10 seconds and you're in again at the exact point you left it 2 weeks ago, quick resume baby".

But in general, fantastic job on both consoles, both trying to get the absolute best out of it.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
That explains why sony didn't release load time comparison videos with BC titles unlike MS. 1~2 weeks until we finally get to see the whole picture with next gen titles.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
This Video by IGN clearly show the difference between BC and optimised for PS5:

The loading difference between PS4 Spiderman and PS5 Spiderman is 0:43 to 0:05 and 1:07 to 0:11 on Miles Morales. That's about what we can expect when games are optimised for the PS5 SSD.

If you compare that to the other load times it becomes clear, that that isn't a "Hardware problem".

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Weird but at the same time MS has had BC experience for a few years so no wonder it takes better advantage of the hardware, just wonder if it's something that can be fixed

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

The loading difference between PS4 Spiderman and PS5 Spiderman is 0:43 ro 0:05 and 1:07 to 0:11 on Miles Morales. That's about what we can expect when games are optimised for the PS5 SSD.

Pretty much.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

There are a group of people who expected Sony to show at least some love for their awesome catalog of games pre-PS4. I know I'm in that group, and so while I think this news is great I'm still soured that PSX and PS2 have been forgotten again.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017

The loading difference between PS4 Spiderman and PS5 Spiderman is 0:43 to 0:05 and 1:07 to 0:11 on Miles Morales. That's about what we can expect when games are optimised for the PS5 SSD.

If you compare that to the other load times it becomes clear, that that isn't a "Hardware problem".

That's a comparison between systems, no? They should do vanilla Spider-man BC on PS5 then Upgraded Sider-Man via Miles Special Edition and look at the differences.

Dec 8, 2018

But games run with way higher performance in terms of FPS and dynamic res. So that's not entirely true. Sounds like boost mode may be the standard.

Regardless BC software optimization for Sony is probably a fraction of what MS invest into it and I don't think they put any work in optimizing around the 6 lanes available on the PS5 ssd (what makes it so fast) in regular BC games so these results really tell us nothing about next gen.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
That's a comparison between systems, no? They should do vanilla Spider-man BC on PS5 then Upgraded Sider-Man via Miles Special Edition and look at the differences.
www.youtube.com

【PS5】話題の爆速SSDの実力は!? PS5 vs PS4 Proロード時間比較

PS5注目情報まとめhttps://www.famitsu.com/news/202011/05208871.htmlカスタムSSD 高速化の秘密https://www.famitsu.com/news/202011/09209074.html2020年11月12日発売予定のプレイステーション5は高速SSD(So...
Do you want this?

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Probably has nothing to do with the SSD's of either console. Sounds like the BC games are better optimized on Series X than PS5 from a software standpoint. MS definitely spent more time here than Sony if anything.

Likely this. The XB BC team went in harder on implementing BC, while we knew from Cerny's Road to PS5 talk (backed up by DF's PS5 BC vide) that the PS5 was just using PS4 and PS4 Pro legacy modes - original coding that relies on mostly original clock speeds (CPU/GPU/Loading).

I suspect cross-gen games and BC titles may indeed be faster on Xbox than PS5, while games built for next gen specifically from the ground up will account for the PS5's SSD. That goes true for Xbox's GPU features as well.

Launch period and cross-gen is always a nebulous period before new hardware features kick in for true.

Last edited:

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017

How is that a good way to compare the consoles? Microsoft isn't going back and patching games to change their file structure to be optimised for the new ssds either.

A fair comparison would be dirt 5. Do journalists have the game for PS5?

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Saving a lot of these posts for when next gen multiplats and Sony first party games are compared lol.

Oct 30, 2017
There are a group of people who expected Sony to show at least some love for their awesome catalog of games pre-PS4. I know I'm in that group, and so while I think this news is great I'm still soured that PSX and PS2 have been forgotten again.
Sure.

An all in one PS5 that can do it all would actually be a great selling point, I think.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I'm guessing the issue is that the PS5 titles are able to use the dedicated hardware for getting data and the PS4 titles are being slowed down by the CPU having to do that.

XSX probably has done some work to optimize that latter process.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Did not see that coming. PS4 games are literally tied to how they load on PS4 and do not take advantage of the faster SSD.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

【PS5】話題の爆速SSDの実力は!? PS5 vs PS4 Proロード時間比較

PS5注目情報まとめhttps://www.famitsu.com/news/202011/05208871.htmlカスタムSSD 高速化の秘密https://www.famitsu.com/news/202011/09209074.html2020年11月12日発売予定のプレイステーション5は高速SSD(So...
Do you want this?

oh my fucking god the ps4 pro version is so bad

jesus

it's almost like they made that version specifically to showcase how much better ps5 is and everyone needs to buy one lmao

Did not see that coming. PS4 games are literally tied to how they load on PS4 and do not take advantage of the faster SSD.

This is a complete lie, you are looking at full boot times.

The actual load times are way faster.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020

I'm hoping DF looks into this, as PS5 games seemingly make all use of that speed. BC games throttling?

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
This is a complete lie, you are looking at full boot times.

The actual load times are way faster.
The games are full booting faster on Series X. So clearly they are not taking advantage of PS5 SSD. Some games are close but others are not even close.

That is entire different from next gen games which are optimized for the hardware.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The games are full booting faster on Series X. So clearly they are not taking advantage of PS5 SSD. Some games are close but others are not even close.

That is entire different from next gen games which are optimized for the hardware.

Yikes

Can you please explain to me how XSX is equivalent to a ps4 now ?

Your statement was completely wrong. The ps5 loading a bit slower than XSX because it has a unique architecture does not mean it's not significantly boosting the ps4 load times.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
How is that a good way to compare the consoles? Microsoft isn't going back and patching games to change their file structure to be optimised for the new ssds either.

A fair comparison would be dirt 5. Do journalists have the game for PS5?

Where did i compare the console? I'm Just stating that BC loading times are in no way representative for how this will Play out on Next Gen, as the Spiderman games have shown.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I expected better for FFXV.

Remaster it SE! I would gladly pay for it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand what's going on with the PS4 games running on PS5. It's like the SSD is going at a much slower speed (slower than Series X, even). Load times are faster, but not remotely "wow."

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Games with long boot times are CPU limited.

Every single step of the asset loading process needs to be optimized for next gen, otherwise you get the same slow loading that appear on PC games running on a $1000 SSD. A single bottleneck on one of the five steps in the process makes all the other optimization useless. So it requires some serious work from devs, no BC method can magically rewrite the entire storage code.

sony_ps5_ssd_graphic.jpg

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am i supposed to praise them for doing the bare minimim anyone could have expected that all those games with framerates between 30-60 on pro run at 60 on ps5

They failed with only having bc for ps4 and the super big special thing of the ps5 its super fast ssd is showing pretty disappointing results for bc.
No but you are wrong, you can pretend it's terrible when it's not.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
How is the series X faster? Faster storage was like sony's one big thing. They talked about it before they even showed what the console would look like.
Don't tell e velocity architecture is an actual thing and not just a buzzword.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Yikes

Can you please explain to me how XSX is equivalent to a ps4 now ?
Aren't we talking about the video in the OP showing same game booting on PS5 vs Series X where Series X handily beat PS5 despite having 2x the SSD speed?
Your statement was completely wrong. The ps5 loading a bit slower than XSX because it has a unique architecture does not mean it's not significantly boosting the ps4 load times.
That is my point. In some games they are close and in others not close. To which i said, PS4 games are not really taking full advantage of the PS5 SSD as much as i thought they would compared to Xbox Series S/X which has 2x less bandwidth.

That is not an indictment on how next gen games will perform.

Sorta close but not really

Q5raDvb.jpg

Not even close
y2a0BVr.jpg

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020

Every single step of the asset loading process needs to be optimized for next gen, otherwise you get the same slow loading that appear on PC games running on a $1000 SSD. A single bottleneck on one of the five steps in the process makes all the other optimization useless. So it requires some serious work from devs, no BC method can magically rewrite the entire storage code.

sony_ps5_ssd_graphic.jpg
I'd love to know the exact bottleneck, if it is indeed the BC games being CPU limited. As clearly PS5 developed titles have zero problems with the new bandwidth.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Weird... looks like the PS5 is intentionally limiting the storage access speed of certain games. I can only assume this was done for compatibility reasons. Games may crash when they load much faster than they ever anticipated. I can only assume that they will improve as time goes and developers release individual patches.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018

sony_ps5_ssd_graphic.jpg

Makes sense. I would also imagine that the Xbox would be at a slight advantage here due to the 3.8 Ghz frequency without SMT enabled, no?

Nathaniel_Wu

Apr 6, 2018
even if it's mostly CPU-bound, PS5 and XSX have way faster CPUs than their predecessors, and they both load more demanding next-gen games way faster
there has to be some other bottleneck in the software architecture in last-gen games

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
How is the series X faster? Faster storage was like sony's one big thing. They talked about it before they even showed what the console would look like.
Don't tell e velocity architecture is an actual thing and not just a buzzword.

The software stacks and how they map to and use hardware are a big deal in getting the best out of the SSDs - whether it's 'velocity architecture' or whatever you want to call Sony's.

Last gen games don't use these stacks. They each use i/o stacks that are both different from each other, and different from the next-gen stacks.

All we can really say for sure right now is that MS on average has seemingly mapped their prior gen file i/o stacks to their new system better than Sony did, from a speed point of view at least (assuming, in these cases, the games' load times are bottlenecked on I/O and not something else).

With next-gen stuff, we'll have to wait and see.

Jan 11, 2018
I expected better for FFXV.

I think the difference will be negligible in-game. The comparison shows the game being booted up. Waiting an additional 20 seconds for a game you're likely to play for a couple of hours at a time isn't that bad. The difference between a regular load screen when using quick travel from one area to another shouldn't be that big. Probably just a few seconds at most. Those are the load screens you'll actually be seeing when playing.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Weird... looks like the PS5 is intentionally limiting the storage access speed of certain games. I can only assume this was done for compatibility reasons. Games may crash when they load much faster than they ever anticipated.

Yeah, this is the most likely reason in my opinion, and it wouldn't really surprise me either. It could also be that they haven't done a lot of optimizations on the software side.
The hardware is obviously fast enough to do much better, so that can be ruled out.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Makes sense. I would also imagine that the Xbox would be at a slight advantage here due to the 3.8 Ghz frequency without SMT enabled, no?
I think yes, while it should be the norm to use SMT with modern code, it's assumed old gen code cannot take advantage of it. It looks like Sony didn't want to sacrifice yield just for BC.

Also some games might be running is a the slow clock fallback mode, or with capped storage speed, if they discovered a nasty race conditions when testing those games. Those would need a patch.