• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

k1x-

Oct 28, 2017
I think we will see improvements in this regard with future PS5 firmware updates.

also with increased stability <:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I'd take a stab at this relating to how BC is handled.

Sony switched their default/standard compression library between gens, and is likely letting PS4 games simply handle loading and decompression on the CPU as before.

Microsoft stuck with zlib, and for games using zlib, is likely passing them through the decompression hardware in XSX, which may be end up the faster path vs a CPU path on PS5.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
One only has to look at Miles Morales load times to know, that this has to do with BC games. I'm pretty sure games developed for the PS5 will load a lot faster.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Most likely the BC solution for Sony doesn't take advantage of the PS5 for loading the way it should. All one has to do is look at Miles Morales to see that it loads from the main menu in 4 seconds and a save file in a little over a second.

It loads the open world instantly

These loads are BC only, hopefully they improve it because loadings suck.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Even if it's not using all the bells and whistles of the velocity architecture, maybe there are passive benefits that come with the pipeline; or, maybe Sony throttled the SSD for compatibility's sake. I don't think a .2 difference in CPU speed should really account for that much, but I'm not an expert there.

Oct 25, 2017
Series X is faster at loading most BC titles. The reason for this is that PS5 is not running at full clocks when playing BC games, so the bottleneck is the CPU rather than the (faster) SSD.

Sony found that things are more likely to break on PS5 when run at boosted clocks. So they have limited the boost with most titles. Whereas games on Series X are more like (modern) PC games, you can put a faster CPU in your PC and games run fine. Because they are running in a VM they are pretty hardware (and clockspeed) agnostic.

Microsoft have been working on BC for years, it influenced the design of several generations. Whereas Jim Ryan was saying "who the hell would play this crap" (referencing an older Gran Turismo title) just 3 years ago.

Yeah this seems like the likely explanation unfortunately.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimately, loading times has become a software issue more than a hardware issue. Some old practices (eg using a single CPU thread to handle loading requests, using the CPU to decompress files) are going to have to change pretty radically to tap into the new speeds. Needless to say, this won't happen retroactively for older titles.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
is this strictly a BC thing or will it be the same for next gen games? kinda surprised PS5's super sonic SSD is trailing. Need those 3rd party new games to start popping up

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually not that surprised that BC games load faster on XSX over PS5, Microsoft has made BC a huge priority and Sony has not. I am more interested in seeing the difference in current gen games. If XSX is loading 3rd party stuff that is made for next gen faster than PS5 then oh boy.

Does it really matter? They are both well quicker than we had previously.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Did anyone test any games that Ubisoft said would not be compatible? I.e. Assassins Creed Syndicate?

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Complete speculation, but it could be that old-gen games are just suited better to how the XSX SSD works/setup?

Thinking out loud here.
Complete speculation here but I think you're right. The XBox seems to have nailed BC.

Also if both SSDs provide comparable performance for the most part, that's great news for multi plat games of the future!

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Wow that's surprising. Velocity Architecture isn't used in BC games.

Not the API, but the system may - for example - be passing things like zlib decompression through hardware parts of 'velocity architecture' for maximum improvement. Something like that could explain a difference in BC games, if Sony is not doing similar (and they couldn't for zlib-compressed data anyway on PS5).

Last edited:

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Series X runs Xbox One X version and they are often Dynamic 4K or at a higher res than the PRO version, while PS5 version is running the Pro version which are 1440p or dynamic.
that's why there's some difference.
This. This really belongs in the DF PS5 thread, but two specific things will make PS5 games better in BC than Xbox here. For mid-gen upgrade games, if the Xbox 1X version was dynamic 4k or 4k itself, and the PS5 version was 1440p, checkerboarded etc, the PS5 version will have a better chance of hitting 60fps. The other thing mentioned in the Digital Foundry video is that if that base PS4 vs Xbox games ran at a higher resolution to begin with, non-upgraded games will look better on PS5.

DrButz

Banned
Oct 27, 2020
Yeah this seems like the likely explanation unfortunately.
Companies tend to talk up their strengths. Microsoft has talked about back-compat so much that it was obvious that they knew they were in a better position.

Compare to Sony - what piece of hardware did they show very early? The Dualsense and all it's haptic stuff... because it is a major strength for them.

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
It's very likely that the PS5 handling BC in "PS4 mode" or "PS4 Pro mode" means that the console reduce I/O speeds to avoid errors.

What we really want here is to compare multiplat next-gen games.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool both seem to be fast, thats awesome. Though xbox does seem to have a slight lead in these games, its still early days, ill be more interested to see how next gen titles load across both, same with asset streaming. Regardless, its silly to gloat over a few seconds. Lets be chill.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Makes sense considering the CPU and how much effort MS have put in.

Is there comparisons between PS4/PS5?

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
No, but I think it's a thing they'll surely fix. The way Sony ignored BC I wasn't expecting games locked at 60 either.
True, still, I'm quite surprised that series c loads these faster hence "twist"
And this morning I would've bet good money on valhalla loading sigmificantly faster on ps5 now I'd be a little more cautious

plow

Oct 28, 2017
That's interesting, what instances?

1. Many games are 900P on Xbox One vs 1080P on PS4. Games will run on the same resolution with BC Mode, so games that where 900P on Xbox remain 900P on X Series X. Both obviously run at locked 60.

2. Many games use Reconstruction Tech on PS4 Pro and don't hit native 4k or 1800P like the One X version. Those game all run on locked 60 Frames while it can dip to 52 frames on the Series X like shown on Sekiro.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Dissapointing load times on PS5. Lack of good BC software is visible here.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
1. Many games are 900P on Xbox One vs 1080P on PS4. Games will run on the same resolution with BC Mode, so games that where 900P on Xbox remain 900P on X Series X.

2. Many games use Reconstruction Tech on PS4 Pro and don't hit native 4k or 1800P like the One X version. Those game all run on locked 60 Frames while it can dip to 52 frames on the Series X like shown on Sekiro.
Neither of those are BC running better.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
This suggests, to me, that the BC mode probably throttles SSD speeds for compatibility reasons on PS5.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Load times of new games should be the more interesting comparison considering Microsoft have put far more effort into their BC than Sony.