• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I've already written off the idea of getting new hardware any time soon. It's just way too much work to try and get anything at MSRP right now. Hate being right about the fact that the shortages were going to go way beyond the holiday season.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So are all these products having yield issues? Why does low yields only come up in relation to PS5 shortages when chips are in short supply across the board?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Now that I've finally bought myself an entry-level NAS, I'll be downsizing to a mid tower and find myself tempted to use the situation as an excuse to upgrade, even though I know the smart thing to do is to stick with my 8700K and see how Alder Lake pans out (rumoured to launch in late Q3/early Q4 and support both DDR5 and PCI-E 5), so as far as my particular case is concerned, I'm actually glad the stock issues are still persisting.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
I've had a PS5 in my cart and a Series X in my cart just for giggles but not once have I been able to get a digital PS5. I have also heard from retailers that have barely any when stock does come in. It would be nice to know how many have been shipped so far of both.

I can't speak for other retailers but I don't see why we would have proportionally more Digital PS5s than others are seeing. I'm in the UK though so the situation may be different elsewhere.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
I know, I am talking once things normalize somewhat.

Didnt we hear the current orders is only because MS waited until the last second to get full RDNA2 features on the SOC while sony finished the ps5 soc much earlier and could order more, we even hear ps5 dev kits were delivered earlier and this along with the undercooked tool made series performance underwhelming in the first month but seems to be better now.

Also they havent transitioned to using series x blades for xcloud yet and once they do this year plus the units they still need to sell plus the series s, it will be hard to imagine sony manufacturing more ps5s.

But as I said this is once things normalize somewhat and the series x blades are being used for xcloud.
People have speculated that the reason for the smaller order was the SoC being last second. Not gonna comment on the tools or the performance cause I'm not a developer.

It really isn't difficult to imagine Sony manufacturing more consoles when the same scenario happened last generation.

Microsoft as you said needs to upgrade it server racks. But even with server racks it didn't manufacturer as much as XB1 as Sony with the PS4. The order for wafer reflect the companies expectation for demands imo.

Microsoft's cloud gaming service Project xCloud has been confirmed to have "hundreds of thousands" of active users.

That was the last updated about the number of users. I don't think the rollout for the upgrade servers is reason enough for the Microsoft to catch up and surpass Sony's manufacturing out

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
last part I need for my new computer is a 3080 and I don't think it's happening even with the discord alerts

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
When I couldn't get a PS5 last December I was hoping to at least grab one for my birthday in March but it's looking more and more unlikely, oh well. Thankfully I do have a Series X so I'm good on multi platform stuff like RE8 at least.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Every day I feel luckier managing to score a last-minute Target launch-day unit for PS5.

...I wish I could get a new GPU at MSRP though, dang.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Wafers, really? Not chips? Because the PS5 SoC is quite a bit smaller, so if they ordered double the wafers, that would mean more than double the chips.

However the SoC for the series S will be quite a bit smaller than the PS5. Still conservatively I would probably estimate for a 2:1 ratio between the console manufactured between PS5 and XB series X/S. If you follow that Twitter thread smarter people than me show there working out.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
I really question what this will mean for ps5 exslusives games and how they will sell with the ps5 playerbase really low compared to the 100 million ps4's out there.

There has to be crossgen support right ?

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
People have speculated that the reason for the smaller order was the SoC being last second. Not gonna comment on the tools or the performance cause I'm not a developer.

It really isn't difficult to imagine Sony manufacturing more consoles when the same scenario happened last generation.

Microsoft as you said needs to upgrade it server racks. But even with server racks it didn't manufacturer as much as XB1 as Sony with the PS4. The order for wafer reflect the companies expectation for demands imo.

Microsoft's cloud gaming service Project xCloud has been confirmed to have "hundreds of thousands" of active users.

That was the last updated about the number of users. I don't think the rollout for the upgrade servers is reason enough for the Microsoft to catch up and surpass Sony's manufacturing out
Hm...

Reading your post I am not sure anymore, cloud uptick and the rollout in the near future could be big or demand could be lower than we think, I am not saying it is a 50/50 on whether it is popular enough to cause a massive increase in server blades enough that they end up ordering more than sony but if I had to bet I wouldnt be comfortable putting down money on either option as it is a massive unknown.

Fun to speculate but one thing Ive thought about is that in pure hardware sales xbox would do better than 2 to 1 this gen compared to playstation, whatever the ratio would be I dont know but alsoafter your post I dont know if the server blades would make up the difference.

At any point in time, rationally, if there are even 1 million people using the cloud at the same time would be a big deal, let alone millions, so they might not need that many blades after all, say 20 million or more and if that is the gap this gen, yeah I can see it, could be close I think, at leasrt this gen.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I really question what this will mean for ps5 exslusives games and how they will sell with the ps5 playerbase really low compared to the 100 million ps4's out there.

There has to be crossgen support right ?

100 million PS4s doesn't mean 100 million sales. The vast majority of that install base only buys 2-3 games per year - your basic "CoD, FIFA, GTA" customer. Most of the time, AAA PlayStation exclusives sell to the hardcore types who are also the people who get new hardware as soon as they can. These stock shortages are presenting some issues, but once there are about 20 million PS5 customers (probably around the end of this year), last-gen versions of games are unlikely to sell much at all. I sincerely hope games like GoW Ragnarok aren't cross-gen - if they are, that's a whole lot of time, money and effort put into making the game worse so they can get maybe 10% more launch sales. Utter waste.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
This is having bigger effects than just gaming, cars must be flying off the showroom floor.

"Germany has asked Taiwan to persuade Taiwanese manufacturers to help ease a shortage of semiconductor chips in the auto sector which is hampering its fledgling economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic."

Yahoo Search - Web Search

The search engine that helps you find exactly what you're looking for. Find the most relevant information, video, images, and answers from all across the Web.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Did Microsoft make way more Series S than X or are people just not buying them? because they seem to be contantly in stock here in Australia.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Did Microsoft make way more Series S than X or are people just not buying them? because they seem to be contantly in stock here in Australia.
Early adapters are mostly hardcore fans and they care about power and don't care about spending as much as casuals do. I think Series S will sell better than X in the long run, but in short term X was always destined to sell more.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I hope I'll be able to get a PS5 by April, which is already later than i would have liked because I want to play Returnal on it, but yea, the stock issues have been rough.
Not in Australia but they are more in stock here too, with that said when Series X is in stock here, its usually up for like a day still before going out, while Series S stays in stock for like a week each time. In comparison if PS5 is in stock here for longer than 2 minutes then you are being sold non-existent stock 😒
Anyway based on that I am guessing its mainly down to demand.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I really was a fool to cancel my second PS5 preorder. The unit that I did receive broke on arrival day and Sony refunded me instead of sending a new one (perhaps the Digital Edition was on even shorter supply here in Europe). No PS5 until very later in the year at least :/

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
They're just not selling. Makes sense I guess - presumably most early adopters are hardcore players who want the big powerful system.

And then you have the PS5 digital at only $100 more, which doesn't help. Gonna be interesting to see if it does take off later on as Microsoft expects.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Early adapters are mostly hardcore fans and they care about power and don't care about spending as much as casuals do. I think Series S will sell better than X in the long run, but in short term X was always destined to sell more.

While true, i think the Pandemic switched some things around. People where crazy in the hope to get "any" Next-Gen console. Gaming expenditure is on an all time high and with everybody being at home, everybody want's to "threat" themselves with something. People cannot spend their money on much more than Multi Media. The incredible demand of PS5 or XSX isn't coming from "Hard Core" Users. It's pretty much everywhere. The PS5 being sold out was one of the highest trending Topic on Social media for weeks here. Newspapers and TV Station got in and reported on it.

Gaming is much much bigger than it was 10 years ago and the Pandemic is completely changing the way people view it. I think the Series S has a different problem ( At least in Europe, since it's sold out in US/UK)

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020

Yeah, same here in Germany. If you really look around you can find Series S without issues. Series X on the other hand is just ridiculous. Still waiting for my second one from october. If there's available stock online it's usually sold out within 30 minutes.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Seems that I made a good decision on targeting used 2080TI instead of going for 30xx series, and ordering new consoles at the end of 2019 - early 2020.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Realistically I just don't see myself getting a new GPU until summer. I'll buy AMD if the price is right, but I honestly see myself going back to Nvidia.
AMD's 6800/6800XT launch left a sour taste in my mouth.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I hope I'll be able to get a PS5 by April, which is already later than i would have liked because I want to play Returnal on it, but yea, the stock issues have been rough.

Not in Australia but they are more in stock here too, with that said when Series X is in stock here, its usually up for like a day still before going out, while Series S stays in stock for like a week each time. In comparison if PS5 is in stock here for longer than 2 minutes then you are being sold non-existent stock 😒
Anyway based on that I am guessing its mainly down to demand.
Where are you and why do you have left behind as your avatar?

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
While true, i think the Pandemic switched some things around. People where crazy in the hope to get "any" Next-Gen console. Gaming expenditure is on an all time high and with everybody being at home, everybody want's to "threat" themselves with something. People cannot spend their money on much more than Multi Media. The incredible demand of PS5 or XSX isn't coming from "Hard Core" Users. It's pretty much everywhere. The PS5 being sold out was one of the highest trending Topic on Social media for weeks here. Newspapers and TV Station got in and reported on it.

Gaming is much much bigger than it was 10 years ago and the Pandemic is completely changing the way people view it. I think the Series S has a different problem ( At least in Europe, since it's sold out in US/UK)
The series s problem for me is it is not worth it as a console coming from the one x and even a modest PC.

I am never buying it but you still cant get it for retail price in brazil.

I wouldnt expect it to be sold out anywhere else though as you say it has problems outside of maybe N.A (U.S, canada, mexico) and the UK which it wouldnt surprise me were the 5 biggest markets for xbox where just being an xbox is good enough to sell even the s.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Managed to get my fiancee a ps5 this week kinda glad I got it seems stock may be an issue rest of the year..

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Series S, X, PS5 digital and normal are constantly out of stock anytime I take a gander at the typical stores. Telstra is struggling to restock All Access, I mean they only just restocked the blue controller for their rewards program. Australia is just chomping at the bit on any next-gen console, we seem to give no shits about who we align with just give us next-gen.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Not surprised. Might even go a tad longer imo. It'll be a hot minute before you see stock just sitting around for the masses to buy online.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Series S, X, PS5 digital and normal are constantly out of stock anytime I take a gander at the typical stores. Telstra is struggling to restock All Access, I mean they only just restocked the blue controller for their rewards program. Australia is just chomping at the bit on any next-gen console, we seem to give no shits about who we align with just give us next-gen.
I mean, take your pick for the series s mate! Been in stock for days.

Xbox Series S Console : Amazon.com.au: Video Games

Xbox Series S Console : Amazon.com.au: Video Games

www.jbhifi.com.au

Xbox Series S 512GB Console

Introducing the Xbox Series S, the smallest, sleekest Xbox console ever.

www.harveynorman.com.au

Xbox Series S 512GB Console

Equipped with powerful hardware in a compact design, the Xbox Series S Console delivers fast loading times, high frame rates, and exceptional visuals without taking up too much space in your living room or gaming area. Specially designed for digital-first gamers, it also makes it easy to bring...

Oct 27, 2017
This is just imo and Idk if it has any real impact on sales but at $299 with no disc drive the S is a hard sale. Valhalla, Immortals, Yakuza, etc were all $30-$35 off within weeks at retailers.

I think the market going 70/30 for digital on consoles that still have the option of physical games doesn't mean the general consumer is willing to lose access to retail game gifts/used game. I could see this be an issue for XSS in the future especially once Xbox and others start putting out more $70 games.

I could be wrong or maybe it won't have a big impact but I think it could run into that issue.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I need Amazon specifically to restock the XSX. My work gave me a $500 gift card for Amazon, and that's going straight into Phil's pocket when he gets them some units

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Every day I feel luckier managing to score a last-minute Target launch-day unit for PS5.

...I wish I could get a new GPU at MSRP though, dang.

Same already had scored a 3080 strix. Woke up launch day and said I wanted PS5 also. Was in right place at right time. PS direct came through before people realized it was a thing.