• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
They are yet to reveal Bends PS5 syphon filter game.

Next year...

This is just one of those sony has nothing like to offer, even third party has dried up.

I like the series and even if it gets compared to perfect dark inevitably, they are such different games, the setting couldnt be more different.

No bluepoint remakes please, it needs to be a new game, reboot it if you have to.
They are gonna make days gone 2, arent they?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just curious what it is like playing different kinds of PS4 games on it. Games w/ patches, games w/o, games made pre-post Pro, etc. Also how VR works.

I've only ever had a OG PS4 so a lot of the stuff that came along with the pro like 4K and HDR, etc will be all new to me.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just curious what it is like playing different kinds of PS4 games on it. Games w/ patches, games w/o, games made pre-post Pro, etc. Also how VR works.

I've only ever had a OG PS4 so a lot of the stuff that came along with the pro like 4K and HDR, etc will be all new to me.
So, my experience with going from PS4 to PS4 Pro was sort of weird, because I had a 1080p for most of it and the super sampling truly made games look really clean on the 1080p.

I recently got a new TV and, immediately, I was shocked at how things just popped in 4K and HDR. I think it was Zone Mode on WipEout Omega Collection that completely sold me on it.

If you're jumping from PS4 to PS5, I think you'll be in for a treat with the PS4 games that support HDR and 4K.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
We still know very little about the system, IMO. Yes, we know the highlights... but not a lot in terms of detail of how things will actually work.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
When is Sony sending out review consoles to the likes of Digital Foundry so we can get previews/reviews from sites we trust for honest feedback?
Probably a week or so before launch, but I thought the hardware teardown would be around then as well so maybe as early as the end of the month

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So, my experience with going from PS4 to PS4 Pro was sort of weird, because I had a 1080p for most of it and the super sampling truly made games look really clean on the 1080p.

I recently got a new TV and, immediately, I was shocked at how things just popped in 4K and HDR. I think it was Zone Mode on WipEout Omega Collection that completely sold me on it.

If you're jumping from PS4 to PS5, I think you'll be in for a treat with the PS4 games that support HDR and 4K.
I think I'm still going to be stuck with my 1080p sets for a while, so it will probably be weird for a bit too :P

I'm also curious if the media-playback things the PS4 didn't have on day one, or never had, will be possible on PS5. Can I store mp3's on it for custom soundtracks? Will there be some sort of Sony DLNA player app or will I have to wait on Plex for that? Can it play audio cds? etc. etc.

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
How BC settings/boost mode will actually work, like if non patched games will see any differences besides loading times.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Sony can talk more about backwards compatibility.

I'd love to see examples of how boost mode works, and a list of games that are getting enhanced. I'm especially interested in thier plans for the Last of Us 2, Dreams, Death Stranding, and Uncharted 4.

I'd also be happy to hear if they have an initiative to help 3rd parties upgrade backwards compatible games, either through enhancements from an internal backwards compatibility team, or tools to help 3rd parties.

HylianMaster2020

alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
SONY averages 3+ AAA games a year what about the games? PS5 you will see running big games targeting big benchmarks I'm pretty sure that's what people wanna see you know what I mean.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Mainly BC: show like 10 PS4 games running on Ps5. Sekiro for example.

And just hands-on impressions from Youtubers.

Overall I'd say that PS revealed most of the important things.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I need to know if PS5 games can use the PS4 VR headset. Hitman 3 went up for pre-order on LimitedRunGames today and it's weird the PS4 version touts VR but the PS5 version doesn't.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
They need to send PS5 to Digital Foundry. I need in-depth, full hands on video right now.

I would really like to have someone plug a PS5 into an LG CX with the latest firmware and confirm to me that everything works fine without issue. That way I can pick up an OLED the week before the PS5 launches and have everything ready for day 1, and price match for any sales up to the first week of december.
Noteworthy edit : just realized Best Buy price match specifically excludes special sales, and specifically lists Black Friday. Guess I'll have to be patient.

Last edited:

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
Already mentioned, but want to know when I can get the PSVR camera adapter.

Would also like a list of compatible SSD drives.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The new UI looks great, I want to see more BC games and how they perform especially 1st party. I would also like to know what PS Plus is going to do to keep people subscribed besides locking multiplayer to it. The new collection of games is a great start but where does the service go from there?

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in all the video output stuff
- will Sony finally support 1440p
- can you use freesync over hdmi 2.0 (my monitor is not 2.1)
- Is supersampling on for all PS5 games being played on a non 4k screen
- news for any patches for ps4 games to support unlocked frame rates (to allow for 60fps). I know Ghosts of Tsushima will support it

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I don't know what SoC stands for and I doubt a lot of the tech jargon is high on consumers minds.
I think ultimately people want to be shown games and how they're better on a PS5, which I don't think Sony has done yet. Neither have MS for that matter. It all feels like a very weird non-event in a lot of ways.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
I love to hear more about their 3D audio, and if it will integrate with the AirPod Pro spatial audio tech, which would be extremely cool. I'm not too hopeful though.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Is Sony ever going to make an exclusive RPG franchise again? Or are we just going to have to settle for action games with barely-present RPG mechanics for an entire generation?
...what RPG's have they ever made? I'm seriously blanking here.

I guess they published Level 5's PS2/PS3 stuff, but unless I'm forgetting something...I don't think Sony have ever had much of a hand in funding the development of RPG's, let alone putting one of their first party studios on the task.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
...what RPG's have they ever made? I'm seriously blanking here.

I guess they published Level 5's PS2/PS3 stuff, but unless I'm forgetting something...I don't think Sony have ever had much of a hand in funding the development of RPG's.

Sony used to publish TONS of RPG franchises in the past. Wild ARMs, Alundra, all of the Level-5 stuff. Arc the Lad was another one. Just because Japan Studio or some other Sony-owned studio didn't make it doesn't mean Sony wasn't responsible for the project.

Feb 9, 2018
I can't recall if it was ever confirmed that every PS4 game that ran at higher resolutions on the Pro will do so by default on the PS5. I know they announced that "legacy mode" back in March, but does it automatically apply to every game that got Pro enhancements? It's not 100% clear.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can't recall if it was ever confirmed that every PS4 game that ran at higher resolutions on the Pro will do so by default on the PS5. I know they announced that "legacy mode" back in March, but does it automatically apply to every game that got Pro enhancements? It's not 100% clear.
It will depend on the game and the modes available.

If it has dynamic resolution or an uncapped framerate it will get boosted, games that have capped resolutions will stay what it is and games with capped framerates but dips should stay maxed at the cap so no more dips.

Not confirmed but logically that's how it will work.

Feb 9, 2018
It will depend on the game and the modes available.

If it has dynamic resolution or an uncapped framerate it will get boosted, games that have capped resolutions will stay what it is and games with capped framerates but dips should stay maxed at the cap so no more dips.

Not confirmed but logically that's how it will work.

So basically a game that got a resolution boost on the Pro should automatically get the same boost from the PS5?

Hopefully there's more solid confirmation of this over the next several weeks. If not, I guess I'll find out at launch. I was going to get a PS5 at some point within its first year or two, but one of the main reasons I decided to get one at launch (besides Halo Infinite being delayed, that game being the only reason I had originally planned on getting an XSX at launch) was the prospect of playing PS4 games at higher resolution. I've been completely spoiled by playing games in 4K on the One X. To me, resolution matters.

At some point, though, I hope Sony eventually issues full 4K patches for all of their major first-party PS4 games when playing them on PS5. But any resolution boost will be good.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Probably a week or so before launch, but I thought the hardware teardown would be around then as well so maybe as early as the end of the month
Yeah I'm sure its a week or maybe at max 2 weeks before launch. I'm sure they want all launch games ready to go.
PS4 Pro was sent out like a week before launch

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So basically a game that got a resolution boost on the Pro should automatically get the same boost from the PS5?

Hopefully there's more solid confirmation of this over the next several weeks. If not, I guess I'll find out at launch. I was going to get a PS5 at some point within its first year or two, but one of the main reasons I decided to get one at launch (besides Halo Infinite being delayed, that game being the only reason I had originally planned on getting an XSX at launch) was the prospect of playing PS4 games at higher resolution. I've been completely spoiled by playing games in 4K on the One X. To me, resolution matters.

At some point, though, I hope Sony eventually issues full 4K patches for all of their major first-party PS4 games when playing them on PS5. But any resolution boost will be good.
From my understanding it would be like if a PS4 game has dynamic resolution where it targets 4k or under but can't reach it on a PS4 Pro, playing on a ps5 would allow it to hit 4k fully.

Basically if a game has a hard cap on either it's resolution or framerate, it can't go above that (same for series X).

nautone

Oct 16, 2018
Austin, TX
I'm interested to hear more about Remote Play functionality. We've gotten somewhat of a confirmation with the update of the iOS / Android apps, but how soon will we be able to use a DualSense paired with our mobile device? Or should we rely on a DualShock4 for the time being?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the firmwares that are dropping for the 900h ask to you select which you would like per port

That's ridiculous and IMO unacceptable. This is probably a good example of why you shouldn't bank on functionality promised in a future firmware update. Man I hope they sort that stuff out because I'm eyeing a Sony OLED once it gets HDMI 2.1 in it. But I guess I may have to pass if that's what they find acceptable.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That's ridiculous and IMO unacceptable. This is probably a good example of why you shouldn't bank on functionality promised in a future firmware update. Man I hope they sort that stuff out because I'm eyeing a Sony OLED once it gets HDMI 2.1 in it. But I guess I may have to pass if that's what they find acceptable.

the LG sets have something similar but with Freesync/Dolby Vision.

Basically the EDid files don't have enough space to hold all of the formats and variations , resolutions that exist.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The way XSX is doubling the frame rate of Xbox One games, I'm expecting the same with PS5

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'd like to know if the system will as well via the streaming apps and such. I think that's all I really want to know that's left - trying to decide whether I use the PS as my streaming box or whether I buy a new one. I've been using my TV's apps, but the LG doesn't have HBO or ESPN.

That's a good question , will the PS5 launch with barebone apps, or will the existing ones work?