• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Then I don't get the system update thing.
They will keep adding titles via updates if necessary.

MS is so ahead of the curve they have their BC already implemented in the system from all their work this gen and i am assuming their beast hardware is also bruteforcing games to run. So that helps too.

Sony's ps4 BC is different because they are basically starting from scratch. It seems fw updates will be the way to add more titles but it does look like they built the system (with AMDs help) to get a native BC mode running. Most will run fine. Games with a "ps5 boost" will need updates. New ps4 titles will either run natively or need a patch to work.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I enjoy BC from time to time. I am primarily interested in new games, though. PS5 seems like they're focusing on what I feel is beyond good enough BC with 4000 PS4 games being compatible.

I will probably never understand the focus some people put on BC, but then again I do not collect games like some people do.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I will believe that the moment I see Sony say that. For some reason they have yet to do so.
Pretty close to the last thing I want to do here is defend Sony on BC issues, but whatever the current status of BC on the PS5 is Sony's not going to confirm games work until they've gone through QA. And they've got over 4000 to do. It's entirely possible that every single one works, with just a few percent needing to drop down to PS4 or PS4 Pro modes.

The need for a system update is most likely going to be QA testers telling the system what mode it needs to be in for each game. We'll probably get a boost mode to override that a while after launch, like we did with the PS4 Pro.

But yeah, Sony needs to stop hand waving BC and actually detail what they're doing because when they leave obvious holes in even their clarifications people start getting nervous. Maybe next Tuesday would be a good time to do some interviews with Digital Foundry or something.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Well, for one, it's cached, not live on the site. So it's not something that was really meant to be seen publicly.

It might require an update, much like how the PS4 couldn't play blu-ray discs out of the box. But the update was there day one.

Or they might just be covering their butts on games that aren't compatible right out of the box.

Quite frankly, the fact of the matter is this:

We simply don't know, and we're not going to know anything until they tell us. What we do know is that they fully expect the vast majority of PS4 titles to be functional. Anything else is unknown.
Well, I did say that's how it reads "to me".

I think if Sony had BC figured out (at least to the extent that people including myself are wishing for) they would've come out and said that most games will be playable at launch. The fact that they are staying silent despite the confusions tells me that BC won't be as expansive as one might hope. At least not at first.
They will keep adding titles via updates if necessary.

MS is so ahead of the curve they have their BC already implemented in the system from all their work this gen and i am assuming their beast hardware is also bruteforcing games to run. So that helps too.

Sony's ps4 BC is different because they are basically starting from scratch. It seems fw updates will be the way to add more titles but it does look like they built the system (with AMDs help) to get a native BC mode running. Most will run fine. Games with a "ps5 boost" will need updates. New ps4 titles will either run natively or need a patch to work.
I'm confused. So you think most PS4 games will work on PS5 natively (boosted or otherwise) or will BC be limited at launch and they'll add support for more PS4 games as the gen continues?

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Just be safe and keep your ps4. Get a gaming pc for perfect BC. Dig up and beat a dead horse. Repeat for ps6.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I think you're missing the point here. If BC is built into the SoC by making the PS5 run like a PS4 or a PS4 Pro to ensure compatibility (much like the PS4 Pro runs non-Pro titles by running them as a base PS4 would), why do you think the PS5 will struggle to do the same for the vast majority of titles from the get go?
There is a reason there is so much discussion around this topic, and it's not just because a lot of people really want to take shots at Sony, it's because they haven't been clear about exactly what is going on. They've said they built BC into the chips, but then they talked about the top 100 games and boost mode. Then they said the vast majority of the 4,000 games will work, but they never said how soon. Then they mentioned some games might need updates to work, but that was probably just talking about boost mode.

They have never said the one simple sentence that would immediately end the questions and debate. "The vast majority of PS4 games will run on the PS5 at launch". That's all they need to say and this entire debate ends. If that were true they could just tweet that out at any time. It would be so simple.

Last edited:

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Well, I did say that's how it reads "to me".

I think if Sony had BC figured out (at least to the extent that people including myself are wishing for) they would've come out and said that most games will be playable at launch. The fact that they are staying silent despite the confusions tells me that BC won't be as expansive as one might hope. At least not at first.

I'm confused. So you think most PS4 games will work on PS5 natively (boosted or otherwise) or will BC be limited at launch and they'll add support for more PS4 games as the gen continues?
Transistor answered this better than me but it appears there is a Native PS4 mode that will just run games out of the box. Cerny mentions they worked closely with AMD to do this.

I dont want to say more since again, we don't have all the details. But I assume new PS4 titles will run fine on a ps5 like they would run on a real ps4. If there is an issue, I'm sure the dev will release a patch. If they go the extra mile, they will release a "PS5 boost" patch for ps5 specific improvements. (Increased resolution, framerate, hdr etc)

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the Sony first party thread but it makes more sense here.

The top 100 games wording was a strange choice. You can pessimistically interpret it as being the most favorable way to spin a BC solution that is somewhat behind schedule. The subtext being that BC is far from complete for the whole library but most people shouldn't worry about it because the most popular games will be ready. Or you can optimistically interpret it as meaning that in a sample of the most popular 100 games, almost all of them already work, from which one might extrapolate that most of any sample of 100 games will work.

Then, taking into account the clarification on the PS blog - that testing is ongoing and success rates are high, I think the promise of eventual comprehensive compatibility is there, but it doesn't really rule out either the pessimistic or optimistic interpretation as far as the timeline goes.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't I read somewhere that right now 100-ish games work in an enhanced, "boost mode" on PS5, but the overwhelming majority of games will work either way?

They haven't even shown the console yet. More BC info will come before the launch.

There's little point in speculating at this moment especially since they're probably continuously working on it.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I question the goals of OP considering they have already said that almost all titles will be available at launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't I read somewhere that right now 100-ish games work in an enhanced, "boost mode" on PS5, but the overwhelming majority of games will work either way?

They haven't even shown the console yet. More BC info will come before the launch.

There's little point in speculating at this moment especially since they're probably continuously working on it.
They haven't made it explicit, but I think it's fair to assume from Cerny's presentation that virtually every game will work in PS4/Pro mode at the very least (even if formal testing is still ongoing). As for which titles run enhanced, that's very much up in the air.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Then I don't get the system update thing.
The way I read it is it could either launch with it already in place or it'll require a day one update, just like the PS4 did.

Given that the system is apparently about to enter production Sony would either have to have BC done and dusted now to go out with the machines as they're built or they can work on it for a few more months to build up the catalogue and make sure that everything is working as should be, at which point they'll get a system update certified before launch ready to be installed.

I don't think it'll be a case of being added at some undetermined point post--launch, I suspect it just means that it might be something you'll have to download day one. I remember the PS4 was really bare bones unless you downloaded the update, in fact I'm sure that you couldn't play online without it! Hopefully though they'll also release a download file prior to launch that you can put onto a USB stick.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Its under the Stunning Games blurb. Probably referring to PS5's version of "Enhanced on X" since it mentions a system update. Doesn't really make sense to put it there otherwise.

Jun 23, 2019
User banned (3 days): Antagonizing behavior/hostility towards other members
Because they have not said the words launch in relation to near 100% compatibility. They continue to say things but avoid saying the one thing people really want to hear "at launch".

They did not say WHEN that majority of games will be playable. In case you haven't noticed, that is the number one question people in this thread are asking. Everyone believes Sony when they say most of those 4000 games will work. The question is how soon?

If it's going to be at launch then great, just say that. There is no need to get up in your feelings and start accusing people of being trolls because you think Sony has said things they haven't actually said.

Aaaand ignored. You aren't slick with your concern there chief.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Boy oh boy, I can not understand why people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

It's one thing to assume nothing. But to pretend 90% of the PS4 catalog will be there near launch...good look with that!

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Because Sony refuses to say in any clear manner, how many games will work at launch. That's it.

They've said most games will work, but they never said when that will be.
Sure, I understand they haven't said anything about when. But that does not mean anything other than "They haven't said when". And, really, do they have to?
Their history with the Pro, however, strongly suggest this is a feature built at system level and, of course, available at launch. If the architecture is largely similar, I can't see why they'd have issues delivering. You don't upgrade your PC expecting your past games to stop running.

People seem to have grown accustomed to the way Microsoft is handling Xbox 360 BC on the Xbox One; releasing batches of new compatible titles periodically and thinking the same most likely applies here or to all forms of backwards compatibility. That only happens because Xbox 360 BC is software emulation. Such thing is not necessary for the PS5 to run PS4 games because there is not emulation involved.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
read the thread, mate

they clarified this over a month ago

the overt "playing dumb" in this thread is clear that people want sony to fail just because
I haven't seen it mentioned itt that almost all titles will be available at launch.

I'm waiting on clarification regarding that so I can decide what to do with my ps4pro.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I'll stay optimistic and assume this means the vast majority of PS4 games will be BC and the rest will be added over time. Because if not, Sony needs to get it together. I don't care about PS1-3 BC, but PS4 support is a must for me.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Not a big deal for me really, i'm not selling my ps4 so if i ever get the urge to go back and play something it'll just take a few minutes of setup to do so.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen it mentioned itt that almost all titles will be available at launch.

I'm waiting on clarification regarding that so I can decide what to do with my ps4pro.
I would be holding off for now rather than trying to make any decisions based off what we have been told.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I really hope/wish Sony will get their stuff together regarding BC. At this point, BC on Xbox is an actual selling point to me. I own games from all of their generations and use it regularly. It's incredible and a real value to me - especially not having to keep around old consoles just to play a few games on it.

Only having "most" PS$ games as BC is not good. They need to step up on basic BC that isn't PS Now, and available to you when you buy the console. I understand that for PS3 this is very difficult/not feasible, but why again, are we being denied PS1 and PS2 games again? Ridiculous, and I have both of those consoles plugged up in my house so I can play things on them. Get with it Sony. Move into the 21st century and put some work in on console level BC for us please!

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
It's king of obvious why topics like this are pointless right now. It definitely hasn't led to any fruitful discussion and better threads than this have been locked for for laughable reasons.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
https://webcache.googleusercontent....MJ:[URL]https://www.playstation.com/is-is/ps5

Unbenannt.PNG

Edit: the link doesn't seem to work correctly

Edti2: For what it's worth, this is an unfinished product site and they will have to say more about BC, however, I think their messaging with BC has been unclear, even with the "4000" games will be playable. I'd just like to more how they're handlind this.

Hasn't BC been clarified already?

"this is an unfinished product site"

Jeez? You think?
They have a blog post clarifying BC, how's this even a discussion? Lol

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Im not worried about BC compatibility at all

Shouldn't be an issue and likely will only affect enhancement options on certain games

Though i suppose that too could be a deal breaker if certain hot games aren't updated to take advantage of the new hardware

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
All this concern over a feature that a majority of people on both boxes won't use. This is wild

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Because they have not said the words launch in relation to near 100% compatibility. They continue to say things but avoid saying the one thing people really want to hear "at launch".
The PS4 Pro LAUNCHED with near universal PS4 coverage due to hardware emulation. We have official confirmation that the PS5 is using that same exact solution (plus another for Boosted Mode). You simply cannot consider those facts and continue with the mindset that there is any logical reason to doubt the PS5 will not similarly have near universal PS4 coverage. I don't know if you are trolling or what, but I try not to be this blunt unless it warrants it. Because Sony hasn't said the words "at launch" doesn't change the historical evidence and simple logic that makes it exceedingly likely when the PS5 launches it will play essentially every PS4 game in some form and if you or anybody continues this crusade of FUD/ignorance it is difficult not to assume you or they are doing so will ill intentions be it to troll or the spread doubt/misinformation. Either that, or you/they are incredibly pessimistic to the point where your opinion on a topic like this is inherently inflammatory even if you don't have ulterior motives.

Now to be clear I am not accusing you of anything other than having an opinion I find very unreasonable given the information I/others have shared with you and the general public knowledge.

Last edited:

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The PS4 Pro LAUNCHED with near universal PS4 coverage due to hardware emulation. We have official confirmation that the PS5 is using that same exact solution (plus another for Boosted Mode). You simply cannot consider those facts and continue with the mindset that there is any logical reason to doubt the PS5 will not similarly have near universal PS4 coverage. I don't know if you are trolling or what, but I try not to be this blunt unless it warrants it. Because Sony hasn't said the words "at launch" doesn't changed the historical evidence and simply logic that makes it exceedingly likely when the PS5 launches it will play essentially every PS4 game in some form and if you or anybody continues this crusade of FUD/ignorance it is difficult not to assume you or they are doing so will ill intentions be it to troll or the spread doubt/misinformation. Either that, or you/they are incredibly pessimistic to the point where your opinion on a topic like this is inherently inflammatory even if you don't have ulterior motives.

Now to be clear I am not accusing you of anything other than having an opinion I have very unreasonable given the information I/others have shared with you and the general public knowledge.
Did the quote feature mess up or something, because I didnt say any of that up there.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
BC's never been more than a "nice to have" bullet point at launch for most people. We'll see if this has changed this time around with digital adoption being much higher.

Deleted member 66543

User requested account closure
Apr 20, 2020
System update is to support the playing of your ps4 titles that may not have the 100 percent guarantee of being bug free or fully compatible.

Without the update, will only be able to play the titles that was deemed as "compatible". Aka underwent rigorous testing.

Oct 27, 2017
I will probably never understand the focus some people put on BC, but then again I do not collect games like some people do.

BC can mean "new" games tho. People who think BC is only for replaying games are missing the bigger picture.

Think about how many people are just getting started in a ecosystem or didn't have time to play a game they wanted. Just look at the amount of remasters we got this generation. Tlou remastered sold way more on the PS4 than on the PS3. That means that besides the audience that enjoys replaying a game there's a even larger one who didn't have a chance to play it in the first place . BC means you don't even have to wait for a remaster that may never be announced, it means you can let go of you previous console and buy a new one knowing that those games on your wish list will still be available.

Furthermore another factor to consider is the backlog. This gen we saw the cheapest prices and most free offerings ever in a generation. Also, games are larger than ever and it can take months for some to complete one. Every hardcore fan here has at least a few games that they didn't finish or didn't even start. While I believe most people will end up not even touching those games again, the assurance that an option is there as a feature is definitely comforting so it becomes a valid selling point.

Oct 26, 2017
System update is to support the playing of your ps4 titles that may not have the 100 percent guarantee of being bug free or fully compatible.

Without the update, will only be able to play the titles that was deemed as "compatible". Aka underwent rigorous testing.

If that's the case why would they call them 'supported ps4 games' and not just 'ps4 games'?
Overwhelming majority could mean anything from 69-99%, so it's quite vague and we might not have the whole picture until it's released.

Deleted member 66543

User requested account closure
Apr 20, 2020
If that's the case why would they call them 'supported ps4 games' and not just 'ps4 games'?
Overwhelming majority could mean anything from 69-99%, so it's quite vague and we might not have the whole picture until it's released.

1. Difference between supported and compatible
2. Stop reading so much into an unfinished webpage none of you were meant to see

Ligero

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll just wait until Sony explains their plans for BC, expanding on their previously announced stances involving boosting and covering the overwhelming majority of the library. Seems a lot easier than this back and forth, especially if the rumour dates in June and August will be giving us details

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

Nothing vague bout it.
They literally have a native PS4 mode in the console.
Just like the PS4 Pro.
Did the pro support only 69% of PS4 games?

They have a blog post about BC
But some people decide to run off information from a website in creation.
My goodness.