• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was already said that the top 100 PS games would work as BC out of the box?
See now, I keep being told by people that it was confirmed that we would be able to play all PS4 games at launch lol
"Sony has issued an update to clarify its stance on backwards compatibility for the PlayStation 5, saying the upcoming console will support an "overwhelming majority" of the 4,000-plus existing PS4 titles. Prior to the update, Sony's Mark Cerny, the system architect for the PS5 who detailed its full hardware specifications in a live-streamed presentation on Wednesday, said the console would support "almost all" of the top 100 PS4 titles."

"Sony says Cerny "provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles" simply as demonstration of the company's current backwards compatibility efforts. "We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch," the company says. "We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/20/...bility-ps4-games-support-majority-plus-titles

Awadlx

Mar 15, 2020
What are we supposed to be concerned about?

PS5 playing the "overwhelming majority" of PS4's 4000+ games or that BC requires a software update?

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Or we could all wait until the ps5 show next week when we have actual facts before going on a concern rant about this?

Laziness

Apr 19, 2018
One thing is clear - a ton of people got confused regardless. I do believe they have to adjust this matter once again in the coming months. Cerny's message wasn't clear enough, sadly, look at MS's approach – I don't see that many people questioning «W8, how the hell this thing will work once XSX is out?». Sony literally need another statement dedicated to BC alone, like «listen everyone, this is how it works, here's the full list of games, etc» .

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
"Sony has issued an update to clarify its stance on backwards compatibility for the PlayStation 5, saying the upcoming console will support an "overwhelming majority" of the 4,000-plus existing PS4 titles. Prior to the update, Sony's Mark Cerny, the system architect for the PS5 who detailed its full hardware specifications in a live-streamed presentation on Wednesday, said the console would support "almost all" of the top 100 PS4 titles."

"Sony says Cerny "provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles" simply as demonstration of the company's current backwards compatibility efforts. "We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch," the company says. "We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/20/...bility-ps4-games-support-majority-plus-titles

Well. I get what Cerny was saying now, but it was badly reported or mangled.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Better to wait and see, but I'm not too confident with Sony backwards compatibility.
If they can at least make it compatible with every 1st party game, that would be good already.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's response doesn't state anything about available launch numbers, and its people here that made the jump to assume they mean 4000+ BC games day 1. This was expected.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah

The testing for PS5 boost mode was being made on Top 100 most played PS4 games and they will continue until launch for more
This.
Sony literally said an "overwhelming majority" of the 4000+ library will work on PS5, and they will never say all for lawsuit reasons as people have already said.

And it's like people don't understand how ratios work. The fact that Cerny said the vast majority of the first top 100 games they checked running in PS5 native mode already worked without being touched basically means that the majority of the catalog should as well as long as those games followed the system documentation and what they are likely checking for are outliers such as games that may have used various tricks, or certain peripherals, or perhaps anything that may break by running at faster than the originally programmed framerate, since we know from emulators that some rare games have tied their game systems to them in the past.

And Microsoft basically has said the same thing by pulling back on their everything will work because they too don't want to get sued for that.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Lets be very clear. You are deriving all of that and assigning all that blame, based on a webcached draft of the PS5 page that got taken down after (possibly for being incorrect even).

I get that its popular to neg Sony, but this is a bit ridiculous

I'm just pointing out why the OP and other's might be "concerned". I'm not reading too deeply into it, just trying to give insight into why the OP likely made this thread. I don't think it's thread worthy personally, but people are just concluding everything will be peachy.

I'm basing my assumptions on how backwards compat will pan out on Sony's actions this generation. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not trying to "neg" Sony, I just feel annoyed at how the PS1 Classic launched and the fact that I can't play my PS1 digital games on PS4. I'm just not feeling optimistic about their backwards compat dedication, and this really isn't giving me any reason to be.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That is a weird sentence. You could also interpret it to mean that it would update select PS4 games to play with enhanced features, like Smart Delivery.

Exactly this or that you have to do a mandatory system update at launch. I don't see how anyone can read this as limited BC or a concern when they are mentioning a system update which implies the BC is at a system level.

But then again I didn't understand how anyone jumped to the conclusion only 100 games would be BC at launch but sure enough even the Verge was reporting only 100 BC games at launch.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah god forbid you don't download the mandatory software update that will come with your PS5 the first time you turn on the machine. Hell, you might even have trouble playing PS5 games if you ignore that system update too!

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony's response doesn't state anything about available launch numbers, and its people here that made the jump to assume they mean 4000+ BC games day 1. This was expected.

BC is native.

There seems to be a set of "supported" PS4 games.

Which implies that there is a set of unsupported PS4 games as well.

While using PS5 Boost mode.

Simple to understand:

PS4 mode --> Supported natively
PS4 PRO Boost mode -> Supported natively
PS5 Boost mode -> Might need a firmware update or game patch

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Why is it time to be concerned exactly? Because you've arbitrarily added the word "limited" to make it seem like we should be concerned?

Sony hasn't really said much about BC yet so maybe we should all just wait and see? I mean its likely this will all be cleared up by next week.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They must have removed the sentence because it's correct.

That means all the other sentences are false, oh shit does the PS5 even exist!

Oct 28, 2017
They can never say "all" games without an asterisk unless they have tested every game, plus there are always some games that use a weird peripheral that might not work on the new machine.

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
Someone should change the title to "Time to be confused" as this would reflect better most people's feelings.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
They're never going to go promising in black and white that literally every single PS4 game works flawlessly on the PS5. Having a list of supported games makes complete sense, and it's likely that said list will encompass almost the entire library.

Keep in mind that Sony and Cerny were similarly hesitant when it came to the Pro's Boost Mode, initially talking about how the boosted clocks could be a big problem and didn't release it until several months later compete with a warning that it could break games. Turns out, basically everything worked fine with it outside of, like, SOMA and Resident Evil Revelations 2. I forsee the PS5's BC and boosts going similarly, and since the PS5 will be much more popular than the Pro, I could more easily imagine the devs of games with issues doing a dedicated PS5 enhancement patch.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Around the time of Cerny's speech they literally said some games will be compatible at launch and more would be supported over time.

They said this right out on the open and yet we still have people here trying to suggest that's not true.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Why should I be concerned, if I buy PS5 it's to play PS5 games lol

Playing PS4 games is a bonus. Anyway they said already that overwhelming majority will end up being supported anyway so eh.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I know that the communication from Sony (or Cerny more specifically) was flawed in that sense, but they already solved this problem by doing that update on the PS Blog, so why the concern? Unless they are literally lying, most of our PS4 games should be playable on the PS5, some with graphics and FPS improvements, and that's it.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not expecting a feature complete system a launch and that applies to BC too.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
BC is native.

While using PS5 Boost mode.

Simple to understand:

PS4 mode --> Supported natively
PS4 PRO Boost mode -> Supported natively
PS5 Boost mode -> Might need a firmware update or game patch

Thanks. Assuming that's correct, You've said that more clearly than Sony has in two attempts.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i swear, if i have to keep my jet noise PS4 around just to play a couple of my favorite games that refuse to function on PS5.... ugh

get it right Sony, and dont listen to the fools who dont think its important for "old" games to work on PS5. Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Polybius, Skyrim VR, RDR2 etc better work properly.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
If when it launches and we still dont have a clue about BC then I'll be concerned. Until then, we still haven't seen the system and many other things.

The website isn't providing any further details than what Sony have already discussed which is pretty clear to me.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
OP, you've got to save this thread so you can rub it in people's faces when bloodborne won't run on the thing

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I have no idea how the supply chain works, but if let's say mass production starts today, when is the last time today's consoles would receive a software update? Are they boxed and sealed ASAP, or can the system software be updated in September before launch?

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the OP saw this:

44OVIF.jpeg

But I see this at the link below:
KseD0d.png

www.playstation.com

PlayStation®5 | Play Has No Limits | PlayStation

Everything you need to know about the PlayStation®5 console and PlayStation®5 Digital Edition with a new slim PS5 design. The best PS5 games, PS5 accessories, and the DualSense wireless controller.
Huh. What's going on? Maybe they were just editing it or something.
Here's the proper webcached version

PlayStation 5 is coming | Sign up for PS5 details | PlayStation

PlayStation 5 will launch this year - sign up to receive full details as soon as they're announced, including PS5 launch date, software line up, PS5 console features and more.